Jasnah's potential matches

V'rish Makik

So I was thinking about when Jasnah comes back and all the hubbabaloo with that, then got to thinking her possibly being around Sigzel. A possible criticism of his work or some scholarly criticism, Sigzel having an immediate crush opon seeing her, being initially annoyed with the other, just some thoughts.

Assuming Jasnah enters a relationship with someone already in the series (she could end up with some Elsecaller or Stone Warden for al lwe know), who do you think she might match?

Szeth.

They're basically the same age, they have drama already established, they're diametrically opposed KR Orders.

I fully expect that we'll find out that Szeth was originally a Shin scholar with a lot of research regarding the KR/Desolations. I don't think his knowledge is common Shin knowledge. Szeth is also one of the few main male protagonists that can read and write.

I'm not really a fan of the pairing, but that's the most natural one given the existing evidence.

Zahel. Go reread the scene in Warbreaker where he explains BioChroma in very scholarly terms and tell me it couldn't happen. This would have the side benefit of exposing Jasnah to worldhopping, which I would be very okay with. 

I think Sigzil is also a possibility, but Szeth is doubtful, at least in the immediate future. He's pretty crazy right now, and I think he's need to deal with that before getting romantically involved with anyone.

I think Sigzil would be a good match, but I would rather see her date Hoid. If she dated Hoid we could start a betting pool to determine how many chapters it would take for her to try to kill him.

Kaladin is a no. He already has the hots for other people's women. More likely his childhood sweetheart will start chasing him once she gets a look at his eyes. She will say, "Kaladin, you have scars of slavery, but you can glow. I think you must kiss me now."

Amaram is a definite no and a potential shard kabob.

Taravagiananian is too old.

Dalinar, Adolin, and Renarin are too related...

Rock would be interesting for a match, but probably prefers his women beefier.

Teft is too old as well.

Nalan is emotionally distant and likes to kill surgebinders.

Taln is insane--though that would certainly be interesting.

Helaran is too dead.

Gaz is too Gaz.

Szeth... Szeth...

Vasher...he does like strong minded women.

Axies...at least their shadows would both be going the wrong way together.

No one...yeah no one seems like a safe bet...unless she gets a book and works out her demons.

Out of curiousity, what is the need to have Jasnah paired up with someone?  This is the 3rd? thread of that kind and I don't quite understand why she can't be happy in her singlehood?  I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm genuinely curious.

Rock would be interesting for a match, but probably prefers his women beefier.

Rock wouldn't be a match anyways since he is married.

Married men? Looking at Peet’s expression as he leaned across the bar, chatting with the woman, it seemed that might not be far off. Kaladin hadn’t given any thought to it. He should have. He knew that Rock was married—the Horneater had already sent letters to his family, though the Peaks were so far away, news had not yet returned. Teft had been married, but his wife was dead, as was much of his family.

---------

Words of Radiance Chapter 46

To Terra of Nalthis:

Because she is a major single character in a ten book series and we have at least a year before the next book comes out.

Also there is nothing wrong with Jasnah not having a romantic relationship but she a popular character so we like to speculate and match her with possible candidates.  Its not because she is a woman either for every post about Jasnah romantic speculation there have been five for Kaladin and three for Renarin and Adolin each.

Out of curiousity, what is the need to have Jasnah paired up with someone?  This is the 3rd? thread of that kind and I don't quite understand why she can't be happy in her singlehood?  I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm genuinely curious.

I am wondering this too. Sanderson doesn't even do romance particularly well, so I sure hope he doesn't subject Jasnah to it. 

If anything, I'd see her making a political marriage because she has to form alliances to help save the world. With someone who stays out of her way. 

Well, a number of reasons:

1) Historical

It's common in other cosmere stories for people to get paired up. Hardly a universal rule, but if you were to guess if a protagonist would be involved in a relationship by the end of the book (if not dead), you're generally better off betting 'yes'. Of the main protagonists identified so far, she's the one who probably has the least development in this area (neglecting the interlude protagonists) except perhaps Renarin.

2) Reflective

Arguing about who fits best with Jasnah helps define her character. This can certainly be approached from other directions (e.g. comparing Jasnah as a scholar versus Shallan and Navani) but relationships end up being a common thematic element for almost any human character in any story. Saying 'she'll end up with no one' is a valid position, but ideally would be backed by evidence that provide some insights about her character, e.g. Jasnah is pretty single-minded, and as people have noted it's quite possible that she won't have any interest in a relationship until the series is effectively over because of that tenacity.

3) Navani's failure as a mother and matchmaker

Navani is clearly really bad at figuring out relationships (it took her, what, 35 years to figure out Dalinar?). Jasnah obviously is going to need a lot of help. People are helpful (especially on this forum) => lots of interest in helping Jasnah. Or 'helping', as the case may be. How can anyone see her plight and not feel compelled to assist? One cannot.

P.S. Jasnah is clearly the best scholar of the lot. I also hate Navani.

Navani tries her best but Jasnah had no use for her mother.  99 percent of people want to find romance and in a romantic (not like the section in bookstores that's always near the fantasy science fiction section but with a positive viewpoint and nostalgia for the past) novel a lot of characters will end up in love.  I like the Jasnah and Vasher angle.

hmm keep in mind WoR only covers a few month?

dont think events will slow down anytime soon either

the Desolation starting, rebellion in Kollinar(?),

the Queen and Hire missing, she has nothing better todo then to build a meaningfull relationship?

3) Navani's failure as a mother and matchmaker

Navani is clearly really bad at figuring out relationships (it took her, what, 35 years to figure out Dalinar?). Jasnah obviously is going to need a lot of help. People are helpful (especially on this forum) => lots of interest in helping Jasnah. Or 'helping', as the case may be. How can anyone see her plight and not feel compelled to assist? One cannot.

P.S. Jasnah is clearly the best scholar of the lot. I also hate Navani.

In Navani's defense, Dalinar had to significantly change first.  Presumably, she also changed, but not nearly as much as the "Bloodthirsty Warlord dominating enemies in the field transforming into the leader demanding discipline and honor from those around him."  A better example would be the lengths she went to encourage Adolin's relationship with Danlan.  Unfortunately, now this has me doubting Shallan/Adolin.  Bother...

Regardless, completely agree with everything else you said.  And your PS is just awesome.

Wow lots of replies. I don't see anything wrong with speculation regarding Jasnah's potential matches. This character would perhaps be the most surprising and interesting relationship story arc, considering Jasnah's view on men and her confidence and independence and all that.

To tell it plainly, in real life there are many lonely people out there with nobody that loves and cares about them. I'm not saying that Jasnah is lonely, it's just that, so far as I can tell, she doesn't have someone really special to her anymore (I assume that Gavilar was the only one she deeply loved and vice versa). Jasnah to me seems too independent, distant and immersed in her beliefs to the point where there's no love, just duty or living, no purpose.

Edited by V'rish Makik

Hoid.  She is going to get with Hoid and become his world hopping partner.  That is the ultimate scholarship for Jasnah, to search and understand all the world, not just limit her to Roshar.  Just read how annoyed they are with each other when she shows up and he's waiting.  First sign of true love, I say.  ;)

Hoid.  She is going to get with Hoid and become his world hopping partner.  That is the ultimate scholarship for Jasnah, to search and understand all the world, not just limit her to Roshar.  Just read how annoyed they are with each other when she shows up and he's waiting.  First sign of true love, I say.  ;)

This. You all know it's true it's written in the Cosmere just look at their chemistry at the end of the book it was like fireworks! The best romances always start with the threat of violence.

Szeth.

They're basically the same age, they have drama already established, they're diametrically opposed KR Orders.

I fully expect that we'll find out that Szeth was originally a Shin scholar with a lot of research regarding the KR/Desolations. I don't think his knowledge is common Shin knowledge. Szeth is also one of the few main male protagonists that can read and write.

I'm not really a fan of the pairing, but that's the most natural one given the existing evidence.

Really?  Nothing gets a girl in the mood like killing her father i guess...

Wow lots of replies. I don't see anything wrong with speculation regarding Jasnah's potential matches. This character would perhaps be the most surprising and interesting relationship story arc, considering Jasnah's view on men and her confidence and independence and all that.

To tell it plainly, in real life there are many lonely people out there with nobody that loves and cares about them. I'm not saying that Jasnah is lonely, it's just that, so far as I can tell, she doesn't have someone really special to her anymore (I assume that Gavilar was the only one she deeply loved and vice versa). Jasnah to me seems too independent, distant and immersed in her beliefs to the point where there's no love, just duty or living, no purpose.

She seemed to care about Shallan. She kept that picture Shallan drew, remember? 

The reason I'd rather not see Jasnah with someone is that love is often so overdone ... like, everyone has to have someone, because without a romance a character can't be good. I just don't like that. And Jasnah particularly seems like someone who has more important things to do. 

I wouldn't mind it if she met someone, really. I just don't want her plot to become a romantic drama. 

She seemed to care about Shallan. She kept that picture Shallan drew, remember? 

The reason I'd rather not see Jasnah with someone is that love is often so overdone ... like, everyone has to have someone, because without a romance a character can't be good. I just don't like that. And Jasnah particularly seems like someone who has more important things to do. 

I wouldn't mind it if she met someone, really. I just don't want her plot to become a romantic drama.

I think in some ways, a main character without a relationship of some sort is a weaker character (unkess the point is to explore why they have no close relationships).

Humans are social creatures and we all, to some extent define ourselves by our relationships with others.

Since Jasnah is pretty much a fully formed Radiant in terms of power and knowledge there are only a few areas her character can develop. The most obvious and ,I think, interesting one is her clear lack of expertise in forming relationships with others.

I always got the impression that Jasnah was totally brilliant and determined but lonely. She feels that she cannot trust or open up to anyone (even her mother) and has a very suspicious streak similar to her brother.

There are also obvious hints that she has some issues with men which seem to stem from some form of abuse in her childhood (although this is purely speculative based on the thug scene from tWoK).

I think developing a close relationship (although not necessarily romantic) is the only real way Jasnah can develop as a character in the coming books.

I can certainly imagine a scenario where things almost fall apart because she refuses to trust and open up to someone. In fact, the implication from the epilogue of WoR is that in her search for knowledge and over reliance on herself has led to her missing key events in the world and is now playing catch up.

Edited by The Count

I agree that a character with no *close* relationships would (generally speaking) be a weaker character. But you can have close relationships without them being romantic. You have family ties and friendships, for instance. 

I think that Shallan would fill that role really well. After all, they are somewhat similar, both in their scholarly interests and their Soulcasting. But they are still different enough for each other that Jasnah could get something out of the mentoring type of relationship. 

What I don't want is some sort of romantic drama with her, because I just feel that it'd undermine her character. Not all romances have to be dramatic. Some can just .. be. Especially if they aren't a central part of the plot. If she befriends someone and this then leads to some sort of romantic relationship, then maybe. I don't want her to become defined by that relationship, which is sadly something that tends to happen too often. 

The reason I am extra worried about this here, I've just never been impressed with the romantic relationships that he writes. 

I think what I would most like to see is a scenario which puts Jansah completely and hopelessly out of her depth and comfort zone in some way, forcing her to place reliance on the judgement, promises and actions of someone else (preferably a man).

I think that would be an excellent exploration of her character and give opportunity for growth.

In fact if she does any kind of significant travel with Wit and encounters some of the people after him, that may well be what she gets.

I agree that relationships do not have to be romantic to be meaningful, though.

Edited by The Count

Jasnah definitely has trust issues.  Seeing those resolved or at least addressed will do wonders for her growth.  She needs a partner (romantic or otherwise) who supports her while allowing her to be the strong, capable person she is.  Otherwise her fears of being trapped will come true.

For now, at least in the romantic department, I kinda want to see Jasnah end up with no one at all. She's a very independent individual, and I think she kind of has to work on actually making friends first before she catapults up to love. 

The one thing I'm praying for, though, is that if she gets a love interest, she gets it sooner rather than later. The thing that drives me crazy in TV shows and books is that the authors have a "Pair the Spares" mentality: "Oh, X character is not in a relationship. Um, um, throw them together with Y! That will totally work!"

Now, if Jasnah had a nice Beta Couple arc, as opposed to Kaladin/Adolin/Shallan Alpha arc, I'd be completely cool with that.