A Second World Hopper

Mistborn Miah

Hello! I am fairly new to the forum so please excuse me if someone has theorized this already.

I think Jasnah may be the author of the Ars Arcanum and therefore a world hopper as well. We know that she has studied Shadesmar quite a bit. She speaks of the dangers in general terms to Shallan. I also recall reading that Brandon said Shadesmar could be used as a portal between the worlds. Hoid knew where Jasnah was going to materialize so perhaps that location is a common entry point to the world via Shadesmar?

When I read the Ars Arcanum it feels that it is in Jasnah's "voice". Thoughts?

I don't think Jasnah knows enough to have written it she doesn't seem to know anything about shards or the other shardworlds and Hoid probably knew that was the right place because of his foresight.

Edited by Inquisitor of Wit

The entirety of the KR is a little weird. We know they have unusually good access to the cognitive realm. We know they made a map of Shadesmar with the expanses listed. We have WoB that the expanses are different planets. We know the KR used Shadesmar as transportation.

Yet somehow, there is absolutely no mention of world hopping by the Knights Radiant. No stories about other planets, no divulged notes from the in-book texts showing the knowledge of worldhopping. In addition, mythos like 'Roshars are refugees' or other things like that do not include the idea of another world. Jasnah never mentions anything that might imply other worlds, and nor does Super Taravanigan - indeed, despite being incredibly smart and well read and able to guess so many things, it's possibly implied that he suspects worldhopping for the first time (but possibly unrelated).

It's fishy. Really fishy. Is it possible that travel between worlds in the Cognitive Realm requires something more complex than simply access to Shadesmar? Something complex enough that people familiar with the Cognitive Realm do not even understand the nature of the expanses?

The entirety of the KR is a little weird. We know they have unusually good access to the cognitive realm. We know they made a map of Shadesmar with the expanses listed. We have WoB that the expanses are different planets. We know the KR used Shadesmar as transportation.

Yet somehow, there is absolutely no mention of world hopping by the Knights Radiant. No stories about other planets, no divulged notes from the in-book texts showing the knowledge of worldhopping. In addition, mythos like 'Roshars are refugees' or other things like that do not include the idea of another world. Jasnah never mentions anything that might imply other worlds, and nor does Super Taravanigan - indeed, despite being incredibly smart and well read and able to guess so many things, it's possibly implied that he suspects worldhopping for the first time (but possibly unrelated).

It's fishy. Really fishy. Is it possible that travel between worlds in the Cognitive Realm requires something more complex than simply access to Shadesmar? Something complex enough that people familiar with the Cognitive Realm do not even understand the nature of the expanses?

Interesting, I never noticed that before.

Maybe the KR where far too busy preparing the world, fighting in the Desolations, and then helping people rebuild, to spend time worrying about worldhopping?

If we can take Jasnah as a sample case (?) she's had access to Shadesmar for around 6 years at this point, and doesn't know all that much about it

(excepting whatever she's learn during the course of WoR that we are as yet unaware of).

If Jasnah the scholar doesn't know all that much, maybe Shadesmar in general, and worldhopping as you said, is far more complex than we previously thought.

Do we have any actual info on how worldhopping works, beyond "it uses Shadesmar"?

In answer to Mistborn Miah/Topic title: Are you aware that there are worldhoppers aside from Hoid? There's at least the 17th Shard, including Galladon of Elantris and Demoux of Mistborn, and a third character I think might be from Dragonsteel (They appear in the WoK purelake interlude - Ishikk, I think). In addition to that, we have WoB that there's a terriswoman worldhopper  on Nalthis (Warbreaker), and of course

Vasher (Zahel) and Nightblood on Roshar

. While not all of those people realistically could be writing the Ars Arcanum, it's definitely more than a matter of "either Hoid or a second person who may be Jasnah". (If I feel like I should give an evil laugh at this point. So.....MUAHAHAHAHAHA. There. :))  You're thinking in the right direction though. Keep it up, and welcome! :)

a third character I think might be from Dragonsteel (They appear in the WoK purelake interlude - Ishikk, I think)

The third worldhopper there is nicknamed "Blunt" and he is from White Sand, an unpublished cosmere novel (that Brandon will send you if you send him an email requesting it).  Ishikk is a native Purelaker.

I also doubt that Jasnah is the author of the Ars Arcana, since she would not have been alive to write those for the Mistborn trilogy.

WoR spoilers

Nazh is also clearly a worldhopper and I am fairly certain that Khriss (not a character we have yet been formally introduced to) is as well since she is declared by Brandon to be the most cosmerically knowledgeable person alive.  Either or both of Mraize and Iyatil is/are a worldhopper(s).

Ishikk is a native Purelaker.

I think Delightful was just noting that the three worldhoppers are in the Ishikk interlude in WoK rather than alleging that Ishikk is a worldhopper.

WoB from recent signings say that Hoid did NOT write the Ars Arcanum.

CorwinofAmber, on 20 Mar 2014 - 10:20 AM, said: I asked whose points of view we're getting in the ars arcanum and on the back cover blurbs. He said they're not the same person, neither are who you think (which I take to mean that neither are by Hoid/Wit), and the ars arcanum is written by more than one person (17th shard?).

Ironically enough I'm quoting another Corwin  :D

And after posting I realize thats not the exact quote I wanted.  It was on /r/Stormlight_Archive, but I can't find his corresponding post here.  Oh well.

Edited by corwin01

WoB from recent signings say that Hoid did NOT write the Ars Arcanum.

Ironically enough I'm quoting another Corwin  :D

And after posting I realize thats not the exact quote I wanted.  It was on /r/Stormlight_Archive, but I can't find his corresponding post here.  Oh well.

Oh, wow. Ok, that's... thrown me for a loop there :P no idea who wrote it then. I'm going to suggest it may be someone from one of the unpublished Shardworlds.

Interesting, I never noticed that before.

Maybe the KR where far too busy preparing the world, fighting in the Desolations, and then helping people rebuild, to spend time worrying about worldhopping?

If we can take Jasnah as a sample case (?) she's had access to Shadesmar for around 6 years at this point, and doesn't know all that much about it

(excepting whatever she's learn during the course of WoR that we are as yet unaware of).

If Jasnah the scholar doesn't know all that much, maybe Shadesmar in general, and worldhopping as you said, is far more complex than we previously thought.

Do we have any actual info on how worldhopping works, beyond "it uses Shadesmar"?

In answer to Mistborn Miah/Topic title: Are you aware that there are worldhoppers aside from Hoid? There's at least the 17th Shard, including Galladon of Elantris and Demoux of Mistborn, and a third character I think might be from Dragonsteel (They appear in the WoK purelake interlude - Ishikk, I think). In addition to that, we have WoB that there's a terriswoman worldhopper  on Nalthis (Warbreaker), and of course

Vasher (Zahel) and Nightblood on Roshar

. While not all of those people realistically could be writing the Ars Arcanum, it's definitely more than a matter of "either Hoid or a second person who may be Jasnah". (If I feel like I should give an evil laugh at this point. So.....MUAHAHAHAHAHA. There. :))  You're thinking in the right direction though. Keep it up, and welcome! :)

I must have missed Galladon and Demoux in my reading. It has been some time since I read the Mistborn trilogy. I suppose it's time for another read! I realize too that I need to go back and reread those interludes from WoK. I totally forgot about that Purelake scene!

I must have missed Galladon and Demoux in my reading. It has been some time since I read the Mistborn trilogy. I suppose it's time for another read! I realize too that I need to go back and reread those interludes from WoK. I totally forgot about that Purelake scene!

Galladon and Demoux arent mentioned by name, but see if you can recognise them :)

Zahel is an interesting suggestion. 

I didn't think it fit, because I always assume him to have the rougher, 'Vasher' personna he shows to Kaladin, but then again, Vivenna noted that when he had to discuss Awakening his whole tone changed to become more scholarly. It might fit

Do we have Word of Brandon that all the Ars Arcanum are written by the same person?

Zahel is an interesting suggestion. 

I didn't think it fit, because I always assume him to have the rougher, 'Vasher' personna he shows to Kaladin, but then again, Vivenna noted that when he had to discuss Awakening his whole tone changed to become more scholarly. It might fit

That was largely my feeling on it.

The way things are being categorized and the paragraph of speculation about a third, more esoteric type of ?-binding reminded me a lot of the Type I-IV descriptions in WB. And "grumpy swordsman who wants to make up for past mistakes" seems like a pretty... simplistic life calling for someone who is essentially immortal and has an established scholarly background (even if we only see a tiny bit of it). I'd put hats on him, as one of the Five Scholars, at least being heavily involved in putting together the Ars Arcanum.

The problem with Vasher being the Ars Arcanum author is that Warbreaker takes place after Mistborn. We have very little indication that Vasher was a worldhopper in the time between his Return and the events in Warbreaker, and furthermore, Vasher would certainly be unfamiliar with Yolish Lightweaving, which is referenced by the Ars Arcanum author.

The problem with Vasher being the Ars Arcanum author is that Warbreaker takes place after Mistborn. We have very little indication that Vasher was a worldhopper in the time between his Return and the events in Warbreaker, and furthermore, Vasher would certainly be unfamiliar with Yolish Lightweaving, which is referenced by the Ars Arcanum author.

I *think* we have a WoB that the ars arcanum is written by more than one author. So it could still fit with Vasher. Edited by Delightful

Not sure how much I'd like it, but it would be interesting if Vasher turns out to have been a worldhopper who happened to die on Nalthis (perhaps a direct pact with Endowment) and Returned.  In which case, a few hundred years without his ancient memories would simply be a setback.

I think the latest WoB is saying that the blurbs and the AA aren't the same. It's hard to tell without a direct quote, but I'm guessing it's all compiled by various people like Nazh, and then finalized by the same person. This person has definately been alive since Yolen, and has lived through all of the books, ruling out Jasnah and basically every other main character candidate other than possibly Vasher. I have no idea when White Sand takes place, so I can't give an opinion on it being Khriss, but it could also be Nazh, even if he does seem like the kind of person who wouldn't want to write the AA. I won't rule out a Shard either, since they tend to study the Cosmere as well. My money is on the head of the Seventeenth, whoever they may be. They pencil Hoid in as "A mystery yet to be solved", oddly enough, a fact I find curious.

Whatever, I'm rambling. I'll stop.

I did spot him! I was trying to figure it out as I reread the interlude but it wasnt until one of his final comments when he mentioned the word "kayana". I recognized that from Elantris :)

Very subtle!

Galladon and Demoux arent mentioned by name, but see if you can recognise them :)

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 482568496 bytes) in Unknown on line 0