Who is Khriss?

Teccam

From the Houston signing — Truthless's question, via Awesomeness Summoned:

Q: Is Hoid the most knowledgeable about what's going on in the cosmere?

A: No, Crys (Chris? sp?) [sic]is the most aware by a long shot. Nazh knows a lot as well. Hoid might know more than Nazh but he is pretty in the know as well so it's close. 

Peter confirmed the spelling a few posts down. (RShara spelled it "Khryss" in the compiled WoB thread here, though I haven't found a source contradicting Peter on the "Khriss" spelling so I'm assuming that's the right one.)

We haven't heard this name before, have we? It's probably a safe assumption that s/he is from Yolen, and somehow involved in whatever events led to Hoid being present for the shattering of Adonalsium. Is Khriss the recipient of Nazh's notes (the artwork in WoR)? Or perhaps of Hoid's letter(s) in WoK and/or WoR?

Do you guys think we've seen subtle references to Khriss in a cosmere book already? I don't think we have enough to go off of yet, but maybe with another question or two, we could get some decent speculation going. There were a few comments on this in the Houston signing thread, but it seemed worthy of its own thread....

One thing's for sure: Anyone whose cosmere awareness puts Hoid's to shame is worth keeping an eye on.

This is the first that we have heard of them.  I'm kind of surprised that Brandon mentioned them though?  Perhaps it was a slip, like when he gave us the names of Ashyn and Braize?  Since they are confirmed to be more knowledgeable about the cosmere than Hoid, I'm betting they are the writer of the Ars Arcana.

Well, Khriss is likely the woman that Wit referred to as being close to his own age.  I also think it is likely that she is the one being fed info by Nazh.  Not that Nazh refers to a woman as making the request in the Shattered Plains map.

This is not the first we have heard of Nazh.  He provided the map of Elendel with the notations that we saw in AoL and a variety of materials in WoR.  We even likely see him on screen in WoR posing as an ardent trying to takes notes and sketches of Bridge 4.

Well, Khriss is likely the woman that Wit referred to as being close to his own age.

I always interpreted that as Hoid referring to Cultivation, myself. Seems most likely.

I'm with Mailliw73, Chaos, and WeiryWriter. Cultivation was my first guess when I read that bit, and it seems to be the most common assumption from reading theories online (so far).

I've been meaning to ask for White Sand too. Is Brandon still sending that out, or is he holding off so that he can publish it later on? (Also, is the best way to ask for that by going through the contact page on Brandon's website?)

I really hope he doesn't get himself tied into a corner with all the info he releases. I know it's nigh-impossible to keep track of what he's told people and I know the man wants to get his stories out there but let's hope no major reprecussions come of it. :(

Wow, now that's a revelation.  I'm trying to figure out how she could possibly be more cosmere aware than Hoid, given that he's from Yolen, knows all sixteen Shardholders and was present at the shattering of Adonalsium.

Can anyone remember if Brandon's ever listed where White Sand is supposed to be chronologically in the order of cosmere books?

If White Sand is being handed out to people who have email'd Brandon asking for those 'unpublished works' and not received a response back...

I would also like to officially request for a copy. I just found Liar of Partinel, but would definitely love to read White Sand, and any other works that have been being shared around.

Please and thank you!

Wow, now that's a revelation.  I'm trying to figure out how she could possibly be more cosmere aware than Hoid, given that he's from Yolen, knows all sixteen Shardholders and was present at the shattering of Adonalsium.

Can anyone remember if Brandon's ever listed where White Sand is supposed to be chronologically in the order of cosmere books?

I always thought White Sand was a prequel-type, iirc, like Dragonsteel and Liar were. I used to have a copy on my external but I deleted it eons ago.

I always thought White Sand was a prequel-type, iirc, like Dragonsteel and Liar were. I used to have a copy on my external but I deleted it eons ago.

Theoretically possible, but I know Brandon's said Bavadin is on Taldain (the White Sand world), and the context made it sound like he was present as a Shard there at the time White Sand took place.

I have a copy of White Sand, and I don't recall anything implying that Khriss is cosmere aware. And she comes off as nowhere near as awesome as Hoid. I don't even recall any obvious Hoid cameos. But White Sand sets up for a sequel at the end, so that may all change. Plus it will probably undergo a major restructuring when actually published. White Sand came off as more of a regular cosmere book than a prequel, it seemed akin to Warbreaker or Elantris, although with a very different magic system. But it seemed like one which came from a Shard. I would offer to give people copies, but when I got the copy I was explicitly asked to not give anyone else one. But the emails do get replied to (eventually). I only took a few months to get a reply.

Edited by zephyr1011

A few months? I SWEAR it took just one single day in my case, and one friend of mine had to wait the same time than me sending the mail at a different time.

By the way, we have seen a worldhopper who comes from White Sand (everyone who has read the book might know who is he), so at least we can confirm that some of the major characters still there for the official version (at least Khriss and B***).

I have a copy of White Sand, and I don't recall anything implying that Khriss is cosmere aware. And she comes off as nowhere near as awesome as Hoid. I don't even recall any obvious Hoid cameos. But White Sand sets up for a sequel at the end, so that may all change. Plus it will probably undergo a major restructuring when actually published. White Sand came off as more of a regular cosmere book than a prequel, it seemed akin to Warbreaker or Elantris, although with a very different magic system. But it seemed like one which came from a Shard. I would offer to give people copies, but when I got the copy I was explicitly asked to not give anyone else one. But the emails do get replied to (eventually). I only took a few months to get a reply.

From what I've heard, she was a mighty whitey style woman who was researching the 'primitive' tribes of magical white sand users, so it makes sense she would do more research on other primitives. A scientist who studies cultures.