2017-11-15 [Oathbringer] Borderlands Books - San Francisco, CA

Farnsworth

Posted this already in the Stormlight form, but I asked Brandon 2 serious questions and one silly one.

First was for my copy of Edgedancer: "Tell me something I wouldn't know about Lift"
Answer: "She sometimes doesn't like Foods, but not all of them"

Second: "Question about the Shin. Are the Shin originally from Roshar?"
Answer: RAFO (First Card yay!)

Third: "Tangentially related to that, does the Shin obsession/valuing of Stone/Metal have anything to do with Scadrial?"
Answer: "Yes. Oathbringer gets you closer to finding out more about the Shin, but still a bit of a way out."

Overall, I think that definitely opens a bit of a can of worms, but so glad I got to chat with him again. Also general pro-tip (I didn't see it specifically called out in the yes/no thing or missed it), keep questions and things in books to very specific things. He will not answer "Tell me who is a worldhopper" or anything that vague.

That was a long night but as always, totally worth it. Too dead on my feet last night to check the quality of the recording I made of my questions but I'll do that in a bit to hopefully make life easy for our Arcanists. I'll post the exact questions and answers after I've had time to go back to the recording. I also got the general Q&A which I think turned out well enough to be useable, despite me being way in the back. I can do those later too. For now, a quick summary of the interesting bits I got from him:

- I asked if there was anything he was willing to tell us about the third great empire on Sel and he said no, because he's still working on the details and doesn't want to canonize anything just yet.

- He RAFO'd my question about whether the advertisement in the BoM broadsheet about talking metal was related to the knife that Nazh gave Kelsier in Secret History (a followup to the theory I came up with after last year' signing) but he mentioned that Isaac and Ben wrote a lot of the broadsheet content. And he did confirm that Nazh wants that knife back.

- One of the WoK annotations mentions that Syl originated in an unpublished Cosmere work that wasn't going anywhere. Brandon confirmed that it was from a planned work using Aether of Night's setting.

Oh, and hello to the fellow Sharder who was taking the pictures in the signing line! Sorry, forgot to get your name when we talked as I was leaving but nice to meet you.

On 11/15/2017 at 0:04 PM, Farnsworth said:

I think he’ll be talking about his new mystery project

That turned out to be the reading and I'm really looking forward to it. His 'what I'm thinking about right now' discussion involved the process of breaking into the industry, Heraclitus and Chinese Spaghetti. xD

Edited by Weltall
Ben, not Peter

9 hours ago, FirstSelector said:

So, if we are lucky, we will also have the audio from my recording too.  However, there was a mixup and my phone vanished halfway through the signing.  It was an honest mistake and I'll have it back soon, but the recording may not have survived the ordeal.

However, I have some notes of my own and several inscriptions (with photos), so I'll post that.

EDIT: removed a question/answer from an unpublished book

<removed due to the unhidden spoilers>

Storrrrrrms those are some good answers! You may want to put the one about Ambition in spoiler tags, just in case someone is sensitive. Also, do you think you might be able to inbox a curious Sharder about the Unpublished Work question? :)

6 hours ago, FirstSelector said:

So, if we are lucky, we will also have the audio from my recording too.  However, there was a mixup and my phone vanished halfway through the signing.  It was an honest mistake and I'll have it back soon, but the recording may not have survived the ordeal.

However, I have some notes of my own and several inscriptions (with photos), so I'll post that.

EDIT: removed a question/answer from an unpublished book, put pictures and text in spoilers (for ease of use and Oathbringer spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Oh awesome, that question about color and corrupted Investiture was one that I had. Thanks for getting that confirmed.

14 hours ago, FirstSelector said:

EDIT: removed a question/answer from an unpublished book, put pictures and text in spoilers (for ease of use and Oathbringer spoilers)

Hide contents

Q: "Does red in cosmere signify one Shard co-opting or corrupting another Shard's magic?"

A: Yes, and he was rather surprised that I figured it out so soon.

Q: "Was Khriss involved in founding the (a) University at Silverlight"

A: "Yup"

Q: "Was the Nightwatcher the spren that powered the Urithiru fabrial?"

A: "Nope!"

Q: "Can Nightblood be dismissed like a Rosharan shardblade?"

A: "He thinks you could."

Q: I asked if there was a name for a large magical construct.  He said that fabrial is a word that will eventually come to mean this, but then I clarified that I meant like the system left to pick Elantrians.
A: RAFO

Q: "Is Uli Da Ambition?"

A: "Yes.  It's kind of obvious, right?"

Hide contents

IMG_4396.JPGIMG_4398.JPGIMG_4399.JPGIMG_4395.JPG

These are pure gold. GOLD.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

On 11/17/2017 at 1:18 AM, FirstSelector said:

Hide contents

Q: "Does red in cosmere signify one Shard co-opting or corrupting another Shard's magic?"

Q: I asked if there was a name for a large magical construct.  He said that fabrial is a word that will eventually come to mean this, but then I clarified that I meant like the system left to pick Elantrians.

Hide contents

Nice WoBs @FirstSelector !!! Also lol at trying to keep your name secret. I couldn't do that even if I tried -_-.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Nice job with those questions. That red eye one... it might be time to address that again. 

Just uploaded both the general Q&A audio and mine in the signing line. Here's the latter transcribed and with a couple minor interjections trimmed for ease of reading:

Q: Is there anything you'd be willing to tell us about the third empire Khriss mentioned in Arcanum Unbounded?

A: Umm, yeah, I have not decided on some canon answers for that yet, I've debated back and forth on what I'm going to do with it so I just won't tell you yet.

Q: Same planet, MaiPon and JinDo are based on Korea and China, I thought that Dominion and Devotion have some resonance with Confucianism-

A: They do, the yin and the yang and things like that, absolutely.

Q: So that was intentional?

A: That was very intentional. Yeah, I've always been fascinated with, like, the blue and the red, right? The things that are opposite but to some cultures and not to others. Like, that was really, that was the Ruin and Preservation thing, right?

Q: So, in Bands of Mourning there was an advertisement in the broadsheet from 'K and N' asking about talking metal. Does that have anything to do with a certain knife that Nazh lent Kelsier?

A: I'm gonna RAFO that, mostly cause I'm gonna make you ask Isaac and Ben, cause they came to me with pitches for things to put in those and they wrote a lot of the broadsheet stuff themselves.

Q: Okay. But, does Nazh want that knife back?

A: The knife? Yes, he would like that knife back.

Q: Last question, you mentioned in the annotations that just started releasing for Way of Kings that Syl originally came from another Cosmere book that wasn't working out. Was that Climb the Sky?

A: Yeah... how do you know about that one?

Q: Ah, someone on the 17th Shard found it on the old Time Wasters forum-

A: Oh, did they? Yeah, I wrote like three pages of that, right? Yeah, that's where it started. I'd almost even forgotten about that... no, that's totally where it came from. I actually sent three pitches to my writing group, of Cosmere books I wanted to do, and I didn't end up writing any of them.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Q: Last question, you mentioned in the annotations that just started releasing for Way of Kings that Syl originally came from another Cosmere book that wasn't working out. Was that Climb the Sky?

A: Yeah... how do you know about that one?

Q: Ah, someone on the 17th Shard found it on the old Time Wasters forum-

A: Oh, did they? Yeah, I wrote like three pages of that, right? Yeah, that's where it started. I'd almost even forgotten about that... no, that's totally where it came from. I actually sent three pitches to my writing group, of Cosmere books I wanted to do, and I didn't end up writing any of them.

Now I gotta know what the other two books were... I'm guessing Silence Divine and the Threnody novel. That would fit the timeline - they've both been tumbling around in his head for a while.

Hide contents

Damnation, I wasted a signed book question... Wish this happened a day earlier. On the 16th I asked if Uli-Da was Ambition's Vessel...

Edited by The Sovereign