17th Sharder's Guide to Words of Radiance

bartbug

Hello all!

I'm just wondering, how do you intend on reading Words of Radiance the first time through?

I find that I'm in an interesting position, namely due to the timing of the signing that I'm able to attend. It's on Thursday, a mere two days after it comes out. Now, this is quite possibly the worst timing for it, because it tempts me to read it before hand (so I can ask questions about it), though I will probably have to skim through it in order to finish on time. So, I'm trying to figure out what I need to cut out in order to get a detailed enough read for my questions to be deep and cosmere relevant.

The biggest thing that comes to me is the Interludes, but I really really don't want to miss those, mainly because those are the best things when it comes to exploring Roshar.

Thoughts?

Read all the prerelease content, then skip that when you get the book. Read the story all the way through, but don't spend any time on the epigraphs, art, and skim the interludes. If a viewpoint begins to bore you for any reason, start skimming until it's interesting again; Brandon will have made the most important things plot-wise the most interesting anyway. If it's subtle details that are vital, remember that the characters will figure out the most important things in handy bursts of exposition anyway, so skim away. Let your gaze bounce over action scenes quickly; every spear thrust is not integral to the plot. Who died is the vital stuff.

Yeah. good points, Swimmingly. For me, though I don't have a signing to go to, I want to finish it quickly. I figure I'll have read about 10 hours by the end of the 4th, so I'm going to reread WoK and see how long that takes me. I'll probably be done that day, because Im going to reread the sample chapters the day before, so I don't have to read them after it comes out. Of course, I read fast and I often skip description.

I want to savor it.  The signing I would be going to is two days later than yours.  While I will be spending considerable time reading during the evenings of that week, I am not going to break my neck to finish before the signing.  (I anticipate getting about halfway through).  I want the story for the sake of the story more than anything else.  My sharding curiosity is secondary to my desire for the story.  I feel that the first time through a book is almost sacred and I don't wish to rob myself of the experience.

I have not read any of the prerelease content other than that which was released in Steelhunt (Lift's interlude and Chapter 2) and the Glimpses. So I will begin at the beginning and read straight through, taking my time. I anticipate about 2-3 weeks to read the whole book, which is still fast for me (WoK took me a month. I may or may not do a reread relatively soon after to look for hints. I may even take notes as I read the first time.

So if I were you I would just read how you want, be it a slow pace like mine or whatever, and still go to the signing.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

I am actually on maternity leave until March 12 .... thankfully my new little one was born just late enough to stretch it out past WoR release. I normally would read this in a day, but with the new little one I am just hoping to make it through before I have to go back to work.

I am actually on maternity leave until March 12 .... thankfully my new little one was born just late enough to stretch it out past WoR release. I normally would read this in a day, but with the new little one I am just hoping to make it through before I have to go back to work.

Congrats!  I have a 5mo .  It gets better!  Sleep will come.

As far as reading the book. I'm rereading the preview chapters the day of then reading the whole way thru wile live blogging.  I actually have the blogs for the preview chapters all written up.  I think this will force me to take my time and savor it.

Go very early, bribe a bookstore employee to tape a recording device with a long battery life under Brandons desk and enjoy the signing. After the signing, collect the device. Once you finish reading the WoR play back the questions and answers of all the other people who attended. Don't tell anyone I told you to do this. :P

I agree with Shardlet, you should savor it! Don't feel pressured to rush through to ask better questions for us. There are plenty of signings on the tour for that, plus keep in mind, we have at LEAST a year before the next SA book, so there will be plenty of time for theorizing and pestering Brandon for clues! :-D Just enjoy the ride, especially the first time through.

Savoring is for the re-read. The first time you just got to jump in and start that Brandon avalanche. I'll just have to slip the audiobook into work, look like I am productive, and not make too many verbal exclamations at the good bits...then get home and read like the wind!

I have a friend who somehow got WoR early, thanks to her "friends in high places" (the Mob?)

IT IS AMAZING! PURE MAJESTY!

I can't wait for the book to be released so I can talk about it!

Edited by Baine

Congrats! Good news in terms of the release is you'll be awake...alot--just about every two hours until the little one is satisfied to be exact! Bad news in terms of your sanity is you'll be awake...alot--just about every two hours until the little one is satisfied!

• Chaos locked this topic