What makes Ryshadium special?

JamHeretic

(Hi guys - first post in the forum!)

I have the sneaking suspicion that some sort of spren symbiosis, or some sort of investiture, is what makes Ryshadium so much smarter and more durable than ordinary horses.  Perhaps the same way that the symbiotic spren let the greatshells grow so large?

Alternately, meddling by the Knights Radiant (so still magic, but at one remove); after all, there were plenty of them, and if the Ryshadium are the only horses capable of carrying a bearer wearing Shardplate for any length of time... Ancient bioengineering!

Thoughts?

I think that bioengineering with Growth/Regrowth by the KR is too cool an idea to shelve, but spren symbiosis is a lot more plausible.  :-/

Anyone want to ask about it at a signing? I can't figure out how to phrase the question in a way likely to be unambigously answered. "Is there a spren" is a yes-or-no question that wouldn't give us much information if the answer is "no", and "does magic have something to do with it" wouldn't give us all that much information if the answer is "yes".

Hm. Phrasing Brandon questions seems to be an art form I have yet to master.

I agree with this concept. Spren being Cognitive creatures bringing a low level of sentience to a bonded creature makes sense...

WoR (released) spoiler:

and it jives with how we've seen Parshendi and spren work in the WoR, moving them from Dull/Slave form to war form, etc.

I also love your user name!

@Serendipity... since GHM is my username and your text says you have a Mistborn hoodie... do you actually have one? I'd love to get my hands on one, but I"m not crafty...

I'd love to get my hands on one, but I"m not crafty...

I could possibly be convinced to coordinate a screenprinting order.  I'm worried about stepping on Brandon's/Badali's toes, though.  I wonder if it would be ok if we're just covering costs and not making a profit...

Brandon did insinuate in a Q/A that one could consider Ryshandium to be sentient. Sentience is usually granted by some form of investment, like the spren or seons. I'd guess that the Ryshandium are special because of investment (Cultivation might be a good source here) or because of interaction with spren. My guess is special investment by Cultivation.

2) Are there non-human races on Roshar, or non-humanoid races that are sentient?

The Parshendi are not human, but you probably already knew that. The two races of Aimaians are not human either. There are many races of sentient spren. From there, it depends if you call something like Ryshadium sentient or not.

Edited by Beautor

Maybe Ryshadium have gemhearts.

That is an interesting idea, but I feel like that would have been mentioned in tWoK if it were true. 

Pretty much anything else possessing a Gemheart was pointed out as such, really just greatshells though. I would think Ryshadium would have as well. Maybe not, but this one doesn't feel right to me anyway. 

That is an interesting idea, but I feel like that would have been mentioned in tWoK if it were true. 

Pretty much anything else possessing a Gemheart was pointed out as such, really just greatshells though. I would think Ryshadium would have as well. Maybe not, but this one doesn't feel right to me anyway. 

I feel the same way, but wouldn't rule it out. I mean, maybe it's broam-sized - not enough to make a fuss about.

While I personally don't think Ryshandium have Gemhearts, if they did it's not to hard to believe that it's unknown just because they are so rare and their interaction with the humans is extremely limited.

The other side of it is Ryshadium are Brandon making a horse that horse people can't complain about, by making them super special.(A fantastic move on his part)

I would guess they're just a genetically modified horse from when the planet was colonized. Keeps things simple.

You know, I bet spren are why skyeels can fly as well. I mean, it's not like they have wings.

In the Shallan sketches she has drawn spren around the skyeel, but she also notes there are deflating sacs under their small wings as they dive... So there is probably some buoyancy thing going on, combined with a lower than earth gravity and small wings/undulation for acceleration and navigation. Spren May help skyeels generate the lighter than air gas that inflates their buoyancy sacs though...

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

In the Shallan sketches she has drawn spren around the skyeel, but she also notes there are deflating sacs under their small wings as they dive... So there is probably some buoyancy thing going on, combined with a lower than earth gravity and small wings/undulation for acceleration and navigation. Spren May help skyeels generate the lighter than air gas that inflates their buoyancy sacs though...

Soren?

I think they are just a superior race of horses..they don't seem as numerous as they are on earth.

Horses are only available from Shinovar, so thats rare to begin with never mind Rhyshadiums. The question is, what makes them superior?

I'm not convinced about spren but the gemheart idea is intriguing. Then again, it's Rosharan creatures that have gemhearts, not Shin ones. And typing that reminded me that there are no spren in Shinovar.

So it's gotta be something else....related to Stone Shamanism, maybe?

If the Shin dont ride horses to battle, what do they use them for? Ploughing? Trade-only?

Edited by Delightful

We know there are instances of animal/spren combinations. We know that spren are related to intelligence/Cognitive aspects. Even if the Shin don't have any spren (that we know about), the horses, once brought to the Highstorm area of Roshar could bond with spren in a random manner, thus producing semi-sentient horses. 

Even if these horses have gemhearts, which I doubt, there is no reason to think that a gemheart has anything to do with making a creature more intelligent than others/normal. Greatshells don't seem to be all that intelligent and they have massive gemhearts! They also have spren bonds, but I think they are going to be different spren than are bonding with the Rysadium

I actually have a crack theory that all spren-bonding creatures, including surgebinders, have gemhearts, though most are likely very small. I support the notion that the Ryshadium's intelligence come from a spren bonded to them. After all,

in WoR, we've seen that the Reshi Islands have intelligence from their bonding spren.