Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

21 hours ago, Ookla the [your choice] said:

*sighs* Sorry in advance about this mini-rant. My Jew-ness begs to speak up and won't hush. The "Jewish" percentage always bugs me. You can't say Jewish as a race and put it in a percentage since it's a religion. You either are Jewish or you aren't - meaning your mother was Jewish. There is no "I'm half Jewish" or "I'm a quarter Jewish" since that's just how it is. And saying Jewish isn't descriptive at all. Jews have been almost everywhere and are extremely varied. Some are almost completely European and others African. Saying "I'm x% Jewish" literally means nothing.

Hey I'm just sharing her results. Me and my mom found it silly when she exclaimed "I'm Jewish!!!" in her text that my mom asked how that technically made her Jewish. Also take this issue with the DNA people, not the person receiving the results since it's the DNA research people putting Jewish down as a percentage result. I also don't know much about Jews and Judaism itself to even make a case about the whole Jewish percentage she got and she didn't specify if this was showing on the maternal or paternal side since this was the combined result. And just for the record her results were 99.8% European so you can figure out which section of the Jewish people she got since I don't know enough to know the differences the respect it deserves.

My mom is packing her pills for vacation and has spent the past hour trying to figure them out and is only just on the cruise portion of the trip. I mean how hard is it to divide pills between breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day? And she's making it harder by not wanting to carry the bottles since the cruise requires any medication and pills to be in the original containers. I mean people much older than her who take a dozen medications just to live can figure it out in a much faster time than she is doing.

Almost done reading Oathbringer so I don't have to haul that around on vacation.

In other news my mom provided more evidence of having a victim complex. We were wrapping up the box containing my sister's Christmas presents, she lives in California so we're having to wrap it for the mail, and at a spot where the paper needed to be flat for taping down I go ahead and smooth it to the end where my mom's hand is and I stop about an inch away and she suddenly yanks her hand away. I was thinking she pulled her hand away to grab the tape but she glares at me and angrily says 'You going to apologize?' and I'm like 'For what?' and she says 'For stabbing me with your nails!' My nails are a little long but short enough that in order to stab anything with them I'd have to be able to feel it with my fingers and I never even touched her hand she claimed I stabbed. If I did touch her the part of my hand that would've touched her would've been the outside of my pinky, not the tips of any finger. All I can guess is she managed to cut herself on the paper and decided to play victim, again, to claim I hurt her.

I'm a nonviolent person so I go out of my way to avoid hurting people and when I do I apologize right away, but I don't apologize to false claims of injury because it's wrong to apologize for something you didn't do. But with my mom whenever I've genuinely hurt her by accident and apologized she acts like I'm not being truthful at all!

I can never win with that woman!:angry:

16 hours ago, Draginon said:

Almost done reading Oathbringer so I don't have to haul that around on vacation.

In other news my mom provided more evidence of having a victim complex. We were wrapping up the box containing my sister's Christmas presents, she lives in California so we're having to wrap it for the mail, and at a spot where the paper needed to be flat for taping down I go ahead and smooth it to the end where my mom's hand is and I stop about an inch away and she suddenly yanks her hand away. I was thinking she pulled her hand away to grab the tape but she glares at me and angrily says 'You going to apologize?' and I'm like 'For what?' and she says 'For stabbing me with your nails!' My nails are a little long but short enough that in order to stab anything with them I'd have to be able to feel it with my fingers and I never even touched her hand she claimed I stabbed. If I did touch her the part of my hand that would've touched her would've been the outside of my pinky, not the tips of any finger. All I can guess is she managed to cut herself on the paper and decided to play victim, again, to claim I hurt her.

I'm a nonviolent person so I go out of my way to avoid hurting people and when I do I apologize right away, but I don't apologize to false claims of injury because it's wrong to apologize for something you didn't do. But with my mom whenever I've genuinely hurt her by accident and apologized she acts like I'm not being truthful at all!

I can never win with that woman!:angry:

I'm sorry. :( It sounds like she wanted to pick a fight and—as you said—play the victim in order to get attention. Negative or positive, it's still attention. 

It still sucks to deal with, though. 

10 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

I'm sorry. :( It sounds like she wanted to pick a fight and—as you said—play the victim in order to get attention. Negative or positive, it's still attention. 

It still sucks to deal with, though. 

Yeah, she's always doing this to me. It's to the point where I can't talk to her about anything serious without her taking some issue about it (when I like something and she doesn't it's apparently disagreeing with her for the sake of disagreeing, making me feel like any idea I have is stupid, hearing and not listening to what I say) so I can only stick to frivolous things like entertainment. My sister has given up trying to talk to her.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:29 PM, Draginon said:

Yeah, she's always doing this to me. It's to the point where I can't talk to her about anything serious without her taking some issue about it (when I like something and she doesn't it's apparently disagreeing with her for the sake of disagreeing, making me feel like any idea I have is stupid, hearing and not listening to what I say) so I can only stick to frivolous things like entertainment. My sister has given up trying to talk to her.

That's probably the safest course of action right now. Toward the end of my time at home, when my mom was the worst she'd been since I was a teenager, I'd just keep conversations short and focused on her. She'd ask me how I was doing, I'd say fine and offer up a few mundane details—while staying away from topics like traffic (an invitation to criticize my driving) rude customers (an invitation to criticize my attitude) classes I didn't like (ditto)….basically anything that could be considered a complaint. Jokes. Funny or cute stories. Lighthearted observations. Those were fairly safe topics. Of course, that didn't mean she wouldn't bring up something she wanted to criticize me on (the way I'd apply for jobs everywhere but the region she wanted me to move to was a popular point of contention) but it kept the number of fights as low as possible. 

• 1 month later...

I got myself A Clash of Kings for a good price. It's an $18 book, closer to $20 with tax, and I had a 25% coupon, my membership card and a $10 gift card so in the end it cost me only $3.15.

Also Barnes & Noble did a small redecorating since I'd been there. They switched the movie & music department with the toys, games & collectibles department. The movie & music section was a big area in the back, a little bigger than the children's section, so with this switch there's a lot of toy stuff but the movies and music have been cut in half. In the back the movies had 4 double sided shelfs plus two walls of shelves while the music had a wraparound unit and two double sided shelves. Well now movies take up two and a half double sided shelves while music is one and a half double sided shelves. Also with moving this stuff there were two short walls separating them from the books with one wall having shelves for books and part of the wraparound for music and the other wall had shelves for books and the cashier for the movie department. To show how cut down the selections are the British shows had one wall shelf and a separate one for Doctor Who. Now they take up barely a fifth of a double sided shelf. Previously they divided by genre for films and now they're all mixed together so you better know what movie you want.

Ordered the last of the out of print Mystery Science Theater 3000 sets, Volume 21. This goes on average for $300 so I was lucky to find one for $125 on Amazon and I had $57 on the account so that helped a lot.

Now it's just getting the rest of the currently available ones and waiting for Volumes 10.2 (numbered like this because when Rhino was the distributor they included Godzilla vs Megalon and after release they realized they didn't have permission to release it so they recalled the set and did a replacement set with The Giant Gila Monster instead. Sadly Shout isn't putting the host segments of GvM on the new set), 11 &12 to arrive.

I built a bed today! 

Okay, it wasn't from scratch or anything—I bought a kit off Amazon and put it together according to directions. But it turned out to require more tools than they'd said it would and it probably would've been easier with two people, so I'm pretty proud of myself for doing it all on my own. 

13 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

I installed new curtains today. With them and lots of caffeine, I just might be able to survive this night job.

My husband worked night shifts for a while, and it always took him a few weeks to really adapt to this rhythm. Just don't give up, you will find a way!