Why would Fortuity be afraid of attractive women?

kroen

Maybe it's not attraction per se. He doesn't react with fear to attractive women. I think it's only part of the issue - he's afraid of taking relationships a step further into "serious" territory (yeah, good luck with exploiting such weakness). So it starts with being attracted to someone, so it dulls his abilities, but not to a complete shutdown.

Alright, but why would Loophole be aftraid of sneezing of all things?!

Maybe when she was younger she was hiding from someone out to hurt her, and a sneeze gave her away (or almost did).  I can definitely see that becoming a major fear of sneezing that became her Epic weakness.

jW

Maybe when she was younger she was hiding from someone out to hurt her, and a sneeze gave her away (or almost did).  I can definitely see that becoming a major fear of sneezing that became her Epic weakness.

jW

Oh, come on now. Think about it: Someone is out to get you and your sneezing gives you away. Do you A. fear sneezing or B. fear that someone?

Sneezing would make sense as fear in the middle ages, whereas if you sneezed there was a good chance you were going to die. But in the present?!

Edited by kroen

Oh, come on now. Think about it: Someone is out to get you and your sneezing gives you away. Do you A. fear sneezing or B. fear that someone?

Sneezing would make sense as fear in the middle ages, whereas if you sneezed there was a good chance you were going to die. But in the present?!

The human mind is a funny, fickle thing. Weaknesses are rarely straightforward and are usually more symbolic of a traumatic event than anything else. Sourcefield's weakness was Kool-aid, not cults or poisons. Newton's weakness was compliments, not failing to meet people's expectations. Nightwielder's weakness was ultraviolet light, not whatever the heck his root fear was. This is to say nothing of the weirder Epics we see mentioned, who can only be harmed by a precise number of people or a person who's exactly the right age.

Absolutely my mind could turn that into a fear of sneezing. Ask a psychiatrist about fears sometimes. They can come out of the craziest things. Couple that with a interdimensional being who amplifies any existing fear you have into a major phobia and you've got a recipe for an Epic weakness.

jW

• Chaos locked this topic