What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

13 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I learned of and watched the Winter's Dragon, a pilot for a Wheel of Time TV series that never happened.  By golly, but it was... bad.  Some of the acting was decent, but overall... yeesh.

That the one late night tv movie with Billy Zane that was on tv a few years ago? Yeah that was a weird one which I heard. Too bad I didnt stay up late enough to try to watch it.

alot of weird crap comes on late at night on tv. Such as the Infomercials stuff on Cartoon Network or Comedy Central

34 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

That the one late night tv movie with Billy Zane that was on tv a few years ago? Yeah that was a weird one which I heard. Too bad I didnt stay up late enough to try to watch it.

alot of weird crap comes on late at night on tv. Such as the Infomercials stuff on Cartoon Network or Comedy Central

That's the one!  I found it on YouTube.  The quality isn't the best, but it's okay.  There's also a fan cut of it that did a pretty good job with what there was to work with.  It's called the Dusty Wheel cut, I think?

I bet.  I can't stay up late enough for the weird stuff, though. 

Wow! The Olympic Games, Amsterdam 1928/ De Olympische spelen— Amsterdam 1928 is so much better than the other film! The footage is not that great, at times you can make out a human shape but not much else, but everything else is so much better from the pacing to the editing. Even the music, which is a similar style, isn’t as boring and fit much better. They even trimmed the events down to showing only the winning matches and only did extra for some artsy slow motion shots and for anything interesting, like the high jump the Philippines athlete did. Heck they even had time to show the gymnastics demonstration from so many countries that was so cool to watch. Thanks to this they trimmed it down by an hour which makes it much more bearable to watch.

The events are in a different order instead of grouping them altogether. Not sure what didn’t get shown because the beginning of the film had a restoration note saying that reel 1 was badly damaged and reels 5 & 8 are gone.

Because these events are from 1928 it sometimes felt weird seeing the women in shorts and athletic shirts instead of the usual garments of the time.

An interesting fact: H. R. Queen Wilhelmina almost didn’t attend these games. Her husband Prince Henry opened the games because she was on vacation in Norway and didn’t want to cut it short because she believed the games promoted paganism. She eventually turned around and watched some events and handed out the gold medals during the awards ceremony.

Next would normally be the 1932 games in Lake Placid and LA but the films are lost so it’s the 1936 Nazi games next. This should be interesting.

A short one today, Youth of the World/ Jugend der Welt. This encompasses the 1936 Winter Olympics in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and was delightful to watch. It’s only 38 minutes but it gives you just enough of a taste for every single event. A pattern I’m noticing is these films omitting the demonstration sports since they excluded the military patrol and ice stock sport.

That was probably the first time I’ve ever heard Hitler’s voice but it was just to announce the opening of the games so he didn’t do much.

The events were shot beautifully and doesn’t well long on anything, the exception being the ski jumping event. During that they edited in footage of hawks to almost compare the ‘flying’ skiers to the birds. Still kind of amazed at the wild flailing of their arms when they make that jump.

Despite what one would think there’s not really any propaganda here. Yes you see the nazi flag but it’s in the context of there being flags flown at the Olympics. They also flash the winning flags for each event so the 3 gold winners are the only time the flag is flashed on screen. Of course it’s the summer games that are considered propaganda so I’ll let you know how that goes.

Watched Olympia Part 1 Festival of the Nations and that was so neat to watch. I can see why it’s considered one of the best Olympic films ever made. That opening depicting the ruins of Ancient Greece, recreation of the ancient games, the torch relay and it transitioning to the modern day to bring the flame from Greece to Berlin was so magical to watch.

The rest of the film was only the athletics events and boy does Riefenstahl make it so watchable. Every shot was very artistic in nature and has a point to be included. This woman knew what shots she wanted and she got them. During the marathon it looked like she even strapped a camera to Sohn Kee-chung’s chest to get a shot of his legs in motion. It’s amazing how many camera and film techniques were actually started by Riefenstahl from smash cuts to extreme closeups to using tracking shot rails.

As for the whole controversy of the film itself I must not fully understand propaganda because it didn’t really make me that sympathetic towards the nazi party or think that the Germans were superior to the other athletes. Heck non-Germans got equal treatment to the Germans, especially the black athletes like Jesse Owens.

It’s kind of sad films like this ruined Riefenstahl’s career since she had real talent with the imagery to the point I kind of want to find a copy of Triumph of the Will and Tiefland to see how good her talent is elsewhere.

Finished WandaVision. That was, surprisingly big. Like ok, I did expect something big but I'm talking about the number of revelations. This much information would've taken like 5 years and 10 movies at the pace things were going pre-Endgame. It's a lot to take in. 

It was also funny, tragic, terrifying, and epic, sometimes all of those during the same episode, so my head is a mess right now. 

Finished Olympia Part 2 Festival of Beauty. Started with showing the athletes at the village training, exercising and relaxing before moving into a gymnastics demonstration filled with so many beautiful men and women.

All events covered were beautifully shot and executed in fun and interesting ways like in diving where the camera followed the divers into the pool and the men’s diving was so artfully shot with the footage being reversed or the angle was different.

Overall the only events not covered at all were water polo, basketball, canoeing, gymnastics, handball, shooting, weightlifting and wrestling.

I really want to see more work from Riefenstahl now but her other stuff isn’t exactly commercially available because of the whole propaganda thing which I didn’t detect here once again.

Next up is Fight Without Hate/ Combat sans haine covering the 1948 Olympics in St. Moritz. The title refers to how this came just after WWII was over and everyone was glad to have some ‘fighting’ that wasn’t full of hate but of sportsmanship.

It started with a history of the Olympics themselves before showing the games getting prepared by building up the snow boundaries for the different courses.

The events were adequate this time, the most fascinating was the figure skating which became very fancy by multiplying the image, inverting the colors and showing all the skaters spinning and twirling, but the best part of this film was the commentary.

The commentary was radio banter where the guy kept getting interrupted by his wife and the petty squabbles became hilarious by the end. One example is her wanting him to get her a black jersey, after she had seen one of the speed skaters wear one, and he told her “no” so she heads to the bar with his journalist friend and later he decides to get one for her as a surprise and she was so excited she bought three more to make her friends jealous! Then during the ski jump he was so drunk his wife took over for him. Listening to this reminded me of the radio drama My Favorite Husband staring Lucille Ball.

Once again no Nordic Combined coverage. What is it about the winter films skipping this event in particular?

Decided to watch everything Fast and Furious for some reason. Years ago I watched up to the fourth one because to my understanding that was the last one focused on racing and lost interest without that.

Recently I got a little curious though so I'll give it a try. 

Tonight I watched the third one and I gotta say the last race was pretty storming intense. It was really well choreographed, specially after the first two ended with a chase rather than a race. 

Next film was XIVth Olympiad: The Glory of Sport.

It starts with some shots in Greece with a brief recap of the ancient Olympic tradition of the flame before transitioning to the modern day where the flame goes from the shores of Greece to the shores of... Switzerland. Yes it starts with a 30 minute look at the St. Moritz games, this time in beautiful technicolor. The colors are so vibrant and pretty so I didn’t mind.

After the winter games it spends 1.5 hours on the games in London. The way it’s formatted and edited reminded me a little of the Love Bug films which I enjoy. Nothing was dull but not exactly exhilarating so I’d place this film in the middle.

As for the events, well they didn’t do as good covering everything like the previous films did. There were ~20 different sporting categories and only 8 got covered in some form. The ones not covered at all were basketball, boxing, canoeing, fencing, field hockey, football, gymnastics, modern pentathlon, shooting, weightlifting and wrestling (freestyle and Greco-Roman styles) along with the lacrosse demonstration being omitted.
For anyone curious the events covered were aquatics (diving, swimming and water polo) athletics, cycling, equestrian, rowing and sailing.

It’s kind of annoying that they have all these sports and they somehow don’t have time to include some part, even more galling since this film did double duty by covering the winter games as well. It’s going to get interesting when it gets to the more recent ones where there’s way more sports and the films are 2-4 hours still.

Just watched the recording i set for the Olympics opening ceremony and it was so nice. In the years leading up to Tokyo I kept thinking how extravagant it would be with focus on the culture from kabuki to the pop culture like Godzilla, Mario and Super Sentai.

I like that they made it more about the world instead of showcasing their culture like previous games have done. Maybe if Tokyo gets a third Olympiad they can do the extravagant ceremony but for the circumstances I liked the tact they had to say that we’re all in this together and are stronger because of that.

Found a Russian rock opera about... either Beren and Luthien or Finrod.  It's telling the Beren and Luthien story, but the title is 'Finrod'.  It's actually pretty good.  The costuming, especially for Galadriel, is quite nice.

Edit:  It is about Finrod.  It's also excellent, and if you're a Silmarillion fan, you might get a kick out of this.

Edited by Spren of Kindness