Kaladin betrays Dalinar in Words of Radiance

Sasukerinnegan

I have an idea of what is going to happen between Kaladin, Dalinar and Amaram. And it is something I don't think any of us expected.

“All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.”

The death chant is a clever use of death chant by Brandon. The one who saved his life is Dalinar (by saving the bridgemen and Kaladin). The one who killed his promises is Amaram (by killing the soldiers who Kaladin had PROMISED to save). The speaker is definitely someone who can control the wind aka a Windrunner who is likely Kaladin. This chant would seem to indicate that he supports Amaram against Dalinar. This might be the twist in WoR. There might even be a fight between Kaladin (a Windrunner) and Dalinar (a Bondsmith) and/or Adolin and/or Renarin (an unknown Radiant).

What do u guys think?? :D

I think this interpretation has been mentioned.

it is definitely a possible interpretation. However, the section:

'...I raise my hand, the storm responds'

Does not, for me, necessarily imply windrunner. It could mean any surgebinder I think.

Also, do we have any confirmation that any other of the death chants refer to events not in TWoK?

I am hesitent to ascribe possible future events to any of them without further evidence.

Edited by The Count

Actually I have considered this. I don't think he would fight Dalinar. There are ways of standing against someone other than battle.

I wonder what the heck Amaram could say to him that would make him even consider standing with him against Dalinar. I don't think blackmail would be enough.

It also might not happen in the next book, but in a later one, giving Kaladin time to cool down and understand Amaram's reasoning. There are three more books left in this arc after all. The prophecy could be fulfilled in one of them.

So upvote. ;)

I think this interpretation has been mentioned.

it is definitely a possible interpretation. However, the section:

'...I raise my hand, the storm responds'

Does not, for me, necessarily imply windrunner. It could mean any surgebinder I think.

Also, do we have any confirmation that any other of the death chants refer to events not in TWoK?

I am hesitent to ascribe possible future events to any of them without further evidence.

We have no evidence, but it is something Brandon would do and not every event mentioned in the death chants happens in TWoK. Some could be hints to any of the nine books yet to come.

Edited by eveorjoy

This could also be somebody that we haven't met yet. This is supposed to be a HUGE, EPIC series. There might be another couple characters thrown in. Or, it could be somebody that we already know but don't know the back story of. For example, Moash might get surgebinding abilites, as Kaladin saved his life and it is hinted that somebody else ruined it. It could be Dalinar. It could be Shallan after some events have happened. It could be Elhokar. It could be ANYONE.

“All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.”

Sounds more like Shallan and Jasnah to me, it has her wording and introspectiveness about it. And it makes me think about Jasnah calling lightning on those two thugs as she raises her hand and kills them from a distance.

The question is, who killed her promises? something to do with her siding against Jasnah to protect her family perhaps? thats the only thing I can think of, because they are linked to the Ghostbloods and she has promised to be loyal and faithful to Jasnah.
Edited by Cayden

It could mean someone from bridge 4, they stand against Kaladin and protect Sadeas or go to the 'evil' side.

The reason I haven't considered the others: Dalinar, Jasnah, Szeth, Taln etc is because none of them fulfill all the requirements atleast when we consider only the Way of Kings. I just feel that while it could be someone else, it's more likely that it's Kaladin. To fulfill this prophecy, u need 3 things

1. someone who saved you

2. someone who "killed" your promises

3. at least a surgebinder. I believe this should be a Windrunner or at least someone who can manipulate the Surge of Atmospheric Pressure since he/she mentions the wind responding.

Maybe, in future books, this could change but think about it, isn't it a typical Brandon twist? Nearly all of us are convinced that Kaladin will get his revenge on Amaram but WHAT IF something else happens?? Also note that Amaram isn't completely devoid of honour. 

“It’s all an act?” Kaladin asked. “The honorable brightlord who cares about his men? Lies? All of it?”

“This is for my men,” Amaram said. He took the Shardblade from the cloth, holding it in his hand. The gemstone at its pommel let out a flash of white light. “You can’t begin to understand the weights I carry, spearman.” Amaram’s voice lost some of its calm tone of reason. He sounded defensive. “I can’t worry about the lives of a few darkeyed spearmen when thousands of people may be saved by my decision.”

Also Amaram knows a little at least about the voidbringers.

"Each time you allow this," Amaram said, "it drives a wedge between him and the throne." Amaram took Dalinar by the arm, stopping him from continuing forward. "We have bigger problems than you and Sadeas, my friend. Yes, he betrayed you. Yes, he likely will again. But we can't afford to let the two of you go to war. The Voidbringers are coming."

Isn't it possible that Kaladin might actually support Amaram against Dalinar??

It is possible, but what the heck could Amaram say to Kaladin to make him even consider working with him, let alone turning on Dalinar?

As I said, I have also considered this, but if it does happen I doubt it will be in WOR. Amaram's betrayal is too fresh for Kaladin to rationally consider working with the man. I think it is going to be a struggle for him not to lob a spear in the man's face as soon as he sees him.

Sounds more like Shallan and Jasnah to me, it has her wording and introspectiveness about it. And it makes me think about Jasnah calling lightning on those two thugs as she raises her hand and kills them from a distance.

The question is, who killed her promises? something to do with her siding against Jasnah to protect her family perhaps? thats the only thing I can think of, because they are linked to the Ghostbloods and she has promised to be loyal and faithful to Jasnah.

I like this theory. At this point Shallah betraying Jasnah as likely as Kaladin betraying Dalinar, but it is possible. I am so looking forward to reading Shallan's flashbacks in the next book. Shallan always seemed a bit unstable to me. Not crazy, just that the person she appeared to be, even to herself, was an act, which fits with the synopsis of the next book.

I like the Szeth theory too.

Regardless, I doubt we will learn the meaning of the epigraph in WOR.

Edited by eveorjoy

"...I raise my hand. The storm responds"

not sure if anyone asked it somewhere, but what if "storm" referes not to just regular winds and such, but to a Highstorm

who could control a Highstorm? one of the Heralds? Honor? Cultivation? Odium? (not that it is very likely one of them who 'talks' but stil... :P )

just a thought:)

What if is Cultivation? I have wondered why she still lived after Honor was killed by Odium. Honor is not the only god Odium splintered. Why leave Cultivation alive and how can he reign with her alive? What if she stood against Honor with Odium? 

It's an interesting idea, though it is most likely wrong. But at this point, based on what we know, it is as likely as Kaladin betraying Dalinar.

What if is Cultivation? I have wondered why she still lived after Honor was killed by Odium. Honor is not the only god Odium splintered. Why leave Cultivation alive and how can he reign with her alive? What if she stood against Honor with Odium? 

It's an interesting idea, though it is most likely wrong. But at this point, based on what we know, it is as likely as Kaladin betraying Dalinar.

The tops theories points that Odium, Honor and Cultivation kind are in a "shardic romantic triangle", or that the oath pact prevent Odium to kill Cultivation.

But, to me, could be simplely that Odium are taking his time, he ultimate goal are make Roshar "void" like in Dalinar vision, so his plan must included Cultivation death in some moment but the time just didn't come yet, and Odium are a pacient fella, he could be wainting for his that him come to fruition =)

The tops theories points that Odium, Honor and Cultivation kind are in a "shardic romantic triangle", or that the oath pact prevent Odium to kill Cultivation.

Eons past, Odium and Cultivation were indeed lovers. Then Odium cheated on Cultivation with Endowment, so she ditched him for his best friend, Honor. Odium insist that they were "on a break" and justified his brief but passionate affair. He then set out to ruin some lives because he felt slighted in this matter. This is all true.

Spoilers, the Stormlight Archive will end with Odium falling madly in love with that new hunk around the block, Harmony, and starting together a family in San Francisco.

That would be so awesome if Harmony showed up on Roshar, but I think he is too busy keeping Scadial in order.

One question Harmony, that have 2 shards, are more powerful that a normal Shard like odium or there no such thing. Because if Harmony is more powerful I can see Odium top 1 priority  changing to kill our friend Harmony =)

One question Harmony, that have 2 shards, are more powerful that a normal Shard like odium or there no such thing. Because if Harmony is more powerful I can see Odium top 1 priority  changing to kill our friend Harmony =)

Harmony is arguably the most powerful being in the cosmere at this time.  On the other hand I get the feeling that Odium is kind of tied down to Roshar and needs to resolve that before he moves on to others.

With the exception of Odium shard holders as a group seem to be kind of aloof from shards on worlds other then their own.  It might be a side effect of the shardic intents making them rather monomaniacal.

I don't think Hoid's letter is to Sazed. Hoid seemed to know the person he was writing to well, like they were old friends. There is no evidence Hoid has even seen Sazed, let alone spoken with him. I do believe he is writing another Shard, but there were 16 Shards originally. We only know of 9 maybe 10 . That leaves 6 to 7 shards who could be alive and receiving Hoid's letter.

The reason I haven't considered the others: Dalinar, Jasnah, Szeth, Taln etc is because none of them fulfill all the requirements atleast when we consider only the Way of Kings. I just feel that while it could be someone else, it's more likely that it's Kaladin. To fulfill this prophecy, u need 3 things

1. someone who saved you

2. someone who "killed" your promises

3. at least a surgebinder. I believe this should be a Windrunner or at least someone who can manipulate the Surge of Atmospheric Pressure since he/she mentions the wind responding.

Maybe, in future books, this could change but think about it, isn't it a typical Brandon twist? Nearly all of us are convinced that Kaladin will get his revenge on Amaram but WHAT IF something else happens?? Also note that Amaram isn't completely devoid of honour. 

Also Amaram knows a little at least about the voidbringers.

Isn't it possible that Kaladin might actually support Amaram against Dalinar??

"Each time you allow this," Amaram said, "it drives a wedge between him and the throne." Amaram took Dalinar by the arm, stopping him from continuing forward. "We have bigger problems than you and Sadeas, my friend. Yes, he betrayed you. Yes, he likely will again. But we can't afford to let the two of you go to war. The Voidbringers are coming."

Could you let me know where I can find that chapter where Amaram is talking with Dalinar, I have not read that yet and I have access to the Steelhunt content ...

*edit; the Quote in question did not show fixed that so anyone else that knows can answer as well  :)

Edited by Fifth