Brandon Sanderson: "Shadows of Self" | Talks at Google

Argent

So, Brandon apparently found time to go attend Google's Talks - kind of like their version of TED, but less "cool ideas" and more "cool people". If you've never been to one of his signings, this talk follows pretty much the same format. In fact, it is exactly like his other Shadows of Self events:

• Brandon talking  about something (in this case his trip to Sharjah, the Korean writing system, and geek shaming)
  • Q&A
  • A reading - this is, in fact, Dalinar's flashback scene Brandon has been reading this tour, if you haven't been able to go to a signing, this is one place you can hear about how good ol' Dalinar became known as the Blackthorn. The reading starts at the 29.36 mark.

Something new I found by watching the video is that the main character in Mistborn Era 2 is a female programmer working with a very early programming language in Scadrial, and she gets recruited to be a field agent. Which makes me super excited, as I am a programmer myself. 

[Video link]

"Recruited to be a field agent" how?  Or rather, recruited for her programming ability or her Allomantic ability?  

Uh, I paraphrased poorly. The way he said it, it was more like "imagine the CIA recruiting her to be a field agent". She is getting recruited to be the techie for a special mission or some such.

Is there a separate page for the reading? That's the only thing I've had time to watch.

Anyway, my thoughts.

Dalinar seems a lot more... bloodthirsty in this one. I expected that, though, so not too much of a surprise.

What I was surprised about was:

1) His willingness to obey orders (I expected him to be much more 'equal partners' type of thing with Gavilar)

2) His sheer determination (That speech about momentum... It just raises more questions about what changed that. I don't think the messages from the Stormfather makes up nearly all of the story.

3) His treatment of the assassin. I was wondering whether it was an early fabrial bow. Either way, most of the characters in this besides Dalinar must have died between that point and WoK, otherwise we would have been sure to here about them.

Also, did anyone notice the symbolism of black and red in the way Brandon described Dalinar? It reminded me of a Parshendi, unless I'm reading to much into things. The Thrill... could it be related to Odium???

You mean Era 3? No computers in Era 2 so far....

AoL and SoS isn't Era 2, it's a fun placeholder between Era 1 (ending with HoA) and Era 2

Real Era 2 will be late-ish 20th Century I think, 1970's/80's maybe? Basic Computers will definitely exist (keep in mind that even WW2 had mechanical computers that had programming capabilies.), along with things like rockets and maybe tanks.

If anyone can narrow down the tech level further it would be appreciated.

Alloy part of it? Brandon Sanderson

Edited by LabRat

Also, did anyone notice the symbolism of black and red in the way Brandon described Dalinar? It reminded me of a Parshendi, unless I'm reading to much into things. The Thrill... could it be related to Odium???

Stormlight Spoilers:

Yes, the Thrill is related to Odium.  It's caused by a Voidspren, one of the Unmade.  Taravangian mentions it in the same Diagram sentence as the Death Rattles, which he knows are caused by another Unmade.  Moelach is one of them, and I can't remember the other one's name.  

AoL and SoS isn't Era 2, it's a fun placeholder between Era 1 (ending with HoA) and Era 2

Real Era 2 will be late-ish 20th Century I think, 1970's/80's maybe? Basic Computers will definitely exist (keep in mind that even WW2 had mechanical computers that had programming capabilies.), along with things like rockets and maybe tanks.

If anyone can narrow down the tech level further it would be appreciated.

Alloy part of it? Brandon Sanderson

Wax and Wayne is Era 2, Brandon changed the nomenclature from "three trilogies" to "four Eras".  The old "second trilogy" is now Era 3.

@TheYoungBard:

The Thrill is related to Nergaoul, one of the Unmade, so in that sense it is related to Odium, yes.

Now I'm wondering how Nicrosil Allomancy helps in being a programmer or a government agent. Brandon has so far given each Misting or Twinborn character a role that fits his power/s, and the Era 3 protagonist is known to be a Nicrosil Misting. What if (programmable?!) Allomantic machines can be boosted by Nicrobursts?

Another possibility: I've speculated before that the Era 3 protagonist is a Twinborn due to her being Terris. Maybe she has Zinc Feruchemy, or some other Feruchemical ability that matches her roles. And perhaps combining that with Nicrosil Allomancy creates an effect that's also beneficial to her quest.

Edited by skaa

Did he say that they were aiming for a November release of Oathbringer? That's a month earlier than I last heard.

Generally when authors/publishers say a release will be around "Christmastime" they mean November, as actually releasing anything in December isn't great for sales.

Is it just me, or was the Dalinar chapter more gory than Stormlight has generally been so far?

And ich. Sadeas. Glad he didn't actually show up.

Yeah. Brandon actually warned everyone before he read it, when he signed in SFO. "I know you're all used to it from reading Game of Thrones, but it's gory for me."

Yeah. Brandon actually warned everyone before he read it, when he signed in SFO. "I know you're all used to it from reading Game of Thrones, but it's gory for me."

I recall a similar comment in Lansing.

I would actually really like it if the Era 3 protag's powers didn't help her perform her role in any way. I'd really like to have a character be naturally skilled, and not have to defend that natural skill as not being magical.

To be fair, I can think of very few metalborn powers that would help with programming (no matter the language) that aren't Feruchemy. Which is so useful with pretty much everything that it's almost not worth mentioning.

EDIT: Bendalloy is the only one, and if you've got Bendalloy, why exactly are you sitting in front of a computer in the first place?

Edited by Landis963

Aw, I'm kind of bummed that we don't get the Allomancer SWAT team plot now. Ah well. I wonder if Era 3 and 4 will still be trilogies, or "I was bored and accidentally wrote X more amount of books" like Era 2 turned into.

We could still get the Allomancer SWAT if the field work our protagonist is getting recruited for is along those lines. 

We could still get the Allomancer SWAT if the field work our protagonist is getting recruited for is along those lines. 

Technically true but--at least to me--a programmer, or job related to programming, sounds a bit off being on a SWAT team. Maybe I'm thinking strictly of the physical aspects of SWATing but we'll see. I was real fond of the "chase down a Mistborn sociopath" plot.