New York City, 11/16

Oudeis

Um, I'm planning to attend. But it is my first Brandon signing, and it is specifically for a non-cosmere book. Not to mention, it's for young adults and there will be two different authors in attendence. And doesn't he get perturbed with the, "persistence" of the 17th Sharders?

Any advice for what I can/should do for my first Sanderson event? To be totally blunt, what i'm hoping to get out of this is an original Steelhunt code, so any advice you can give me on that would be swell.

I am pretty sure Brandon doesn't hate the Sharders.  If the gleeful smile he gets on his face is any indication, he loves thwarting us and our questions.

If you want a code, a costume is a pretty good chance.  I don't think he's been giving them for good questions (since there are so many) though that could get you a RAFO card.  Traveling a ways can also get you a code... um, just impress him in some way.

DC to NYC prolly isn't traveling far enough, is it? I've got a costume idea, but I'm afraid that at an event for two other authors, with young adults, that it'll look... out of place.

And I didn't mean to imply that I think he hates us, I've just heard a few stories about times he's felt the need to rein us in, and I'd like to avoid becoming one of those anecdotes.

I've been meaning to ask if someone could ask a question that has been in my brain for awhile now. There might be a better way to word it but if you are taking any question suggestions:

"Is there a correlation between the The Way of Kings parts 'Above Silence' and 'The Silence Above' and the fact that The Silence Divine takes place in the same solar system?"

Or:

"What is the significance of silence in the Greater Roshar System?"

He didn't look annoyed when I spoke with him. He even stepped in for me when one of the bookstore people tried to kick me out for hanging around (to ask interesting questions) after the event was officially over. It's probably best to keep your normal question(s) for during the actual signing, and then wait until the regulars leave so you can approach him again with more interesting stuff. He usually stays for a little bit after each event to sign all of his books the store has available, and historically he has been happy to answer 17S questions while he mindlessly signs book after book.

Any advice for what I can/should do for my first Sanderson event? To be totally blunt, what i'm hoping to get out of this is an original Steelhunt code, so any advice you can give me on that would be swell.

Like Rainbow said, costume is a strong way to get one.  Also, make sure ytou get there a couple of hours early (maybe more since it will be more than just Sanderfans).  He only brings X amount of cards with him to a signing and even if you impress him with a great costume and witty remarks and you came to the signing by way of China, if he doesn't have any cards left, then he can't give you one.

This also isn't a typical bookstore signing. It's at some venue in NYC and it's a panel about YA books with two other YA authors. It is a ticketed event. I went ahead and splurged on "premium" tickets cuz they were not very much more expensive than normal tickets. There will be a line afterwards to sign books, but only if you bring them (and presumably he'll bring some Steelheart to sell) but it's not a bookstore.

The website is actually rather unclear on what exactly the event is like. The event starts at 3, I believe my premium ticket only means I get to sit half an hour before others, so I'll automatically cut them in line for seats, but I guess I'll stand in line to get ahead of the other premium ticket holders. I still don't think this means I'll get to "meet" Mr. Sanderson an earlier, I think I sit down in my seat and he sits on the stage. Not sure how people will transition from that event to the signing, or if my ticket gives me any benefit to getting in line for that.

Brandon usually doesn't arrive until near the scheduled start (said drawing upon my vast experience of two signings and a con :) ).  But frequently you get a good seat if you are there early and can get to the front of the signing line.  The earlier time accounts for a potentially large audience since it is in NYC and also coupled with two other authors.  I have no idea what kind of crowd the other authors are currently drawing.  Paolini is only promoting a special edition Eragon, so I have no idea how many might come for that.  I got to the Seattle signing an hour early and there were about 7 or 8 people there already.  Within 30 min. there were about 20.  At about 15 min. before the start there were about 40.  Each location is going to be somewhat different though.  At Spokane, there were about 30 or so people at the start of the signing. 

Edited by Shardlet

If you get a chance, would you mind asking him how often he frequents this forum to read theories for his own personal amusement, and see if he'll give a rough percentage as to how many popular theories are more correct than not? I wouldn't ask for the theories being completely right as he'd probably just RAFO that.

And/or how many books he has planned for the total Cosmere series? I believe he said 36 at one point but this was years ago and I'm fairly certain that has changed.

36 is still the plan. Keep in mind that those are core cosmere books, so things like the Wax & Wayne series or Sixth of Dusk don't count.

• Stormlight Archive: 10
  • Mistborn: 9
  • Dragonsteel: 7
  • White Sand: 3 (?)
  • Elantris: 2
  • Warbreaker: 2

And I'll pretend this adds up to 36. Because it's what he said during the Chicago signing when somebody asked him. 

36 is still the plan. Keep in mind that those are core cosmere books, so things like the Wax & Wayne series or Sixth of Dusk don't count.

Ohh, okay. I thought it was overall; not core. Thanks.

Also Kythis, I know for a fact he doesn't come around very often.  He's said that he's worried about how much time he would end up spending here, so he avoids the temptation.

Makes sense. Thanks too.

• Stormlight Archive: 10
  • Mistborn: 9
  • Dragonsteel: 7
  • White Sand: 3 (?)
  • Elantris: 2
  • Warbreaker: 2

And I'll pretend this adds up to 36. Because it's what he said during the Chicago signing when somebody asked him. 

If you add the third Elantris book (it's supposed to be a trilogy I think) and Liar of Partinel and its sequel (I'm pretty sure it is supposed to have a sequel, I want to say it is supposed to be called Lightweaver of Rens?)  That adds up to 36.  Of course that isn't counting The Silence Divine...

For the OP, have you any idea what questions you are planning on asking?

I forgot Elantris was supposed to be a trilogy. And Dragonsteel is gonna be a 'collection' since Liar is part of it instead of a 7-series? Huh, neat.

I wonder what the deal is gonna be for the mid-SLA break as in what are the plot-reasons for it and when it'll pick up chronologically afterwards because I'm assuming it's a timeskip. I have a feeling whatever happens during modern-Mistborn will have some connection or relavance.

Edited by Kythis

The list is:

• Elantris (x3)
  • Warbreaker (x2)
  • Mistborn (x9)
  • Dragonsteel (x7) [note: this includes Liar, Dragonsteel, etc.]
  • SLA (x10)
  • White Sand (x3)

And I know there's a couple of others, but I don't have my list on hand.  Blah.

Wait, are you sure Liar is part of the main seven Dragonsteel books?  This and this at least seem to differentiate between the two.  But then again you probably know more about this than I do...

Wait, are you sure Liar is part of the main seven Dragonsteel books?  This and this at least seem to differentiate between the two.  But then again you probably know more about this than I do...

I got the idea that the main series is five books, and it becomes seven with Liar and its sequel.

I'm fairly certain that Mi'ch is right now this one. From my understanding The Liar of Partinel and The Lightweaver of Rens take place centuries before Dragonsteel proper, which is five books long. It's a tad confusing because Brandon doesn't always make it clear whether he thinks they're part of the same series or not. Dragonsteel is used to refer to the third of the series (after the two "prequels" for lack of a better term) but it's the first in its sequence of five books. Feel free to correct me Mi'ch or any of the admins if I've mixed it up again.