Shardlet

So, how about them larkins?  Is the stormlight sucking ability they have reversable?  Is there some other way to effect the same kind of stormlight sucking?  What will Rysn do with her larkin?  What implications do the larkins'presence on the KR table have now that we know they suck stormlight?

What's a larkin? 

I mean, I can gather from the context that it's the little animal that sucked up Lift's Stormlight. But where else have we seen one, and where did we get the name? What what does it have to do with the KR table?

Larkins also appear in the WoR Rysn Interlude, which is where we find out their name.  The crab things on the KR table are Larkins.

How do we know they are the crablike things?

We have WoB on that I believe.

It's very interesting that Rysn attracts a spren like that, it makes me wonder if she's also potential radiant material.  In face the interludes we see definitely seem to be pointing towards showing radiant material.  Now what order would a Larkin represent?

We have WoB on that I believe.

It's very interesting that Rysn attracts a spren like that, it makes me wonder if she's also potential radiant material.  In face the interludes we see definitely seem to be pointing towards showing radiant material.  Now what order would a Larkin represent?

Larkin are not spren.

It is an animal that is described (in the Rysn interlude) to be very rare and that even a corpse (pretty much rules out them being spren if nothing else does) is worth a small fortune.  As to the correlation between the dragonwasps on the KR table, the larkin in the Rysn interlude, and the stormlight sucker, the physical description of each matches rather well.

@Weiry Lift can touch Wyndle, and Syl can carry things.

Except Lift shouldn't be able to touch Wyndle, he says it should be impossible.  The carrying things... that's something that requires a lot of energy, not all spren can do it.

Edit: Basically spren are cognitive identities that manifest in the Physical Realm.  Larkins are animals and so are primarily physical.

Edited by WeiryWriter

As they said...

This is the quote:

So, those things on the inside cover of WoK. Crabwasps, or crabdragons?
(These guys, for clarification.)
Brandon Sanderson
They range between the size of a hand to perhaps the size of a small melon. You'll find out more about them eventually. Like most things from Aimia, they're pretty odd, and are also now very rare since the scouring.

So, they are Aimian beasts. Not spren, though they may have symbionts 

like greatshells.

From Rysn Interlude:

Something crawled there, about as big as a palm, a creature that looked something like a cremling, but with wings that folded out of the back.

“What is it?” Rysn demanded.

“Why we came here,” Vstim said. “The thing we trade for, a thing that very few know still exists. They were supposed to have died with Aimia, you see. I came here with all of these goods in tow because Talik sent to me to say they had a corpse of one to trade. Kings pay fortunes for them, even still.”

He leaned down. “I have never seen one alive before. I was given the body of the one I wanted in trade. This one has been given to you.”

[...]

As she drank, the insect-thing flew up toward the rafters of the hut and perched there, looking down at her with eyes of solid silver.

From Lift:

The little animal was like a cremling, but with wings. Bound wings, tied up legs. It had a strange little face, not crabbish, like a cremling. More like a tiny axehound, with a snout, mouth, and eyes.

It seemed sickly, and its shimmering eyes were pained. How could she tell that?

The creature sucked the awesomeness from Lift. She actually saw it go, a glistening whiteness that streamed from her to the little animal. It opened its mouth, drinking it in.

So, apparently it feeds on Stormlight - for healing or nutrition or both, so people starve it and use it to suck Stormlight out of people - possibly spheres too. I think it then uses that Stormlight up, so it cannot be "reversed".

As for other way -I dunno. Maybe a stronger Radiant can do that to a common surgebinder, but that is unknown. The difference in power would probably need to be rather large.

Rysn would probably use it to deal with Reshi :) Show larkin -get a contract ;) SHe would feed it whatever it eats and stormlight from spheres. And we might never see anything of it :(

Significance on table -I dunno, but presumably they were common once, more or less - maybe KR kept them as pets en masse, though that is doubtful.  Or they were used to frisk KR and other surgebinders :)

Well, I think you're probably right, but we don't really know what they can do with the stormlight. Also, with Darkness saying that surgebinding brings on desolations, then maybe allowing these larkins to suck up enough stormlight from surgebinders creates enough of a "void" for something to happen... I lean towards larkins just being stormlight adapted natural organisms, however, that can be held captive for less epic reasons

Why would anyone pay a fortune for the dead body?

Maybe someone knows how to use the bodies to make objects with their abilities.

Consider the use of plurals in the Brandon quote below.  It seems likely that they have more than one ability.  What else can they do?

hoser: Can you tell me something about the Larkin and their abilities?

A: You will see something about them in the second book.  Their abilities are tied to stormlight.

• Chaos locked this topic