The Official Alloy of Law Discussion Thread (spoilers)

KChan

Sazed returned Scadrial to its natural state after he ascended; Kelsier destroyed the crystals, but Sazed wiped the Pits off the face of the planet (unless he kept them, but the book didn't even come close to implying that). Besides, there really is no reason for atium to exist anymore. Its entire purpose was to hide Ruin's power from Ati, but now that Sazed holds both Shards, it's an absolutely unnecessary measure.

Exactly what I was thinking. I couldn't recall anything about the Pits being left. It will be interesting to see how Sazed's character is handled. I'm wondering if the Church of the Survivor continued to grow and if it's mainstream now, or if the religion is centered around Sazed, or both, or neither..... I'm ready to find out!

Sazed returned Scadrial to its natural state after he ascended; Kelsier destroyed the crystals, but Sazed wiped the Pits off the face of the planet (unless he kept them, but the book didn't even come close to implying that). Besides, there really is no reason for atium to exist anymore. Its entire purpose was to hide Ruin's power from Ati, but now that Sazed holds both Shards, it's an absolutely unnecessary measure.

But then why did Lerasium exist? And how was it obtained? We don't know if reducing Ati's power was the reason atium existed in the world. We just know that it was being hoarded and had to be hidden so Ati wasn't able to claim it. There could be some other reason for Atium and Lerasium to exists in the world, which means it could still be around in the new book.

He could keep Atium around for the awesome of it. Or to give to those who need it, like Atium mistings.

Brandon: It's theoretically possible for Atium to appear in the future, but right now Sazed has no plans to release any of it to the people. It is, effectively, now something of myth and legend.

I also believe it is said somewhere - in the Mistborn annotations, perhaps - that Sazed changed the Allomantic powers back to their original state. I'm too lazy to find the quote, though. Anyways, really, atium is a tool for killing, which wouldn't really be useful when you're trying to rebuild society literally from the ground up. It's just not like Sazed to hand mankind a weapon when they need to be working together.

But then why did Lerasium exist? And how was it obtained? We don't know if reducing Ati's power was the reason atium existed in the world. We just know that it was being hoarded and had to be hidden so Ati wasn't able to claim it. There could be some other reason for Atium and Lerasium to exists in the world, which means it could still be around in the new book.

Brandon: Preservation wanted Atium and Malatium to be of use to the people, as he recognized that it would be a very powerful tool--and that using it up could help defeat Ruin. But he also recognized that sixteen was a mythological important number, and felt it would make the best sign for his followers. So he took out the most unlikely (difficult to make and use) metals for his sign to his followers.

All Brandon quotes were pulled from the Brandonothology.

Hrm. That makes sense. And I guess he would have very good motivation for removing it from the world as well. People who could live forever might cause problems close to another Lord Ruler emerging. Although without being as powerful in allomancy. So it probably wouldn't be as bad. But it would still make a mess of things.

As I said in the Announcements thread, I do have a 45-minute recording of Brandon reading the Alloy of Law. If we can get Peter's blessing, I'd like to post it. In the meantime, here is some new Alloy of Law info:

- We deal with a bendalloy (Allomantic)/gold (Feruchemical) Twinborn in addition to Wax's steel/iron combo

- The nickname for a iron Feruchemist is a "Slider"

- There will be a _____ Twinborn somewhere in the novel (a Twinborn with matching metals)

- A nickname for Sazed is "Harmony" (I think)

- The events in the first trilogy have spawned 2 religions: Survivorism (der) and Pathism (followers of Sazed, unless I completely misread things)

- Bendalloy has some very interesting rules/restrictions: once a time bubble is created, it cannot be moved. Also, entering/exiting a time bubble has some interesting effects, which might not be terribly pleasant if the thing entering/exiting is a person. I see some interesting sequences with bendalloy and cadmium.

As I said in the Announcements thread, I do have a 45-minute recording of Brandon reading the Alloy of Law. If we can get Peter's blessing, I'd like to post it. In the meantime, here is some new Alloy of Law info:

- We deal with a bendalloy (Allomantic)/gold (Feruchemical) Twinborn in addition to Wax's steel/iron combo

- The nickname for a iron Feruchemist is a "Slider"

- There will be a _____ Twinborn somewhere in the novel (a Twinborn with matching metals)

- A nickname for Sazed is "Harmony" (I think)

- The events in the first trilogy have spawned 2 religions: Survivorism (der) and Pathism (followers of Sazed, unless I completely misread things)

- Bendalloy has some very interesting rules/restrictions: once a time bubble is created, it cannot be moved. Also, entering/exiting a time bubble has some interesting effects, which might not be terribly pleasant if the thing entering/exiting is a person. I see some interesting sequences with bendalloy and cadmium.

How in the world did you get ahold of this recording?!?

Has BS said anything about epitaphs appearing at the beginning of chapters? Maybe more info on Sazed's discoveries in godhood.

If not, would someone please ask him? I don't have twitter and I'm dying to know.

Oooh, that's a great question. Puck, did Brandon read an epigraph for Alloy of Law?

Just asked about Epigraphs. The results came back negative. I'm sure there is some cosmere revelation stuffs in the book, but I did really enjoy the idea of an updated Sazed PoV through epigraphs.

Even if it's as leader of refugees, he'll show.

EDIT- Oh! I got it. Hoid will be the town drunk. Or, he will be the postman that gives Wax the letter informing him that he is now the head of one of the Great Houses.

EDIT EDIT- Or the newspaper man. I could see that too. Of course, then he'd have to trim his beard. He may object to that.

I hope that Sazed notices Hoid this time. After having both ruin and preservation for 300 years, he should be able to notice the amount of power needed to world hop.

I'm sure he'd notice, but I doubt we're going to get Sazed viewpoints.