World misconceptions that are difficult to shift.

ljósmóður

Hmm... This makes me question all the fan art I've seen, along with all the art featured on and in the books. Myself, I initially pictured Shards as being made of a kind of crystal substance, and during WoR, I swear I heard something about it being metal. Also, I can't stop thinking about Stormlight as white, though everyone tells me it's blue.

I imagined Shardplate as being formed of Crystal as well, but it's definitely a "metal" that cracks like a crystal would

And I imagined Shardblades kinda like this

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs28/i/2008/047/2/d/Kenji_Crystal_Swords_by_Lee99.jpg

Stormlight is white(ish). Diamonds are the clearest Gemstone used, and their light is white. Zircon's give a blue-white light.

And I never bothereed with accents. Just for once, brandon is american, and I have really big problems with the american accents. I talked in english with people from england, france, spain, germany, finland, italy, sweden, east europe, russia, india, china, south corea, and I could understand pretty well all of them. In new york, I wouldn't have been able to ask for direction in the underground without my brother or rather, I would have been perfectly able to ask, but I would have never understood the answer. In washington, little better.

So I don't read the characters with the voices brandon uses for them. If I did, I would not be able to understand them.

I'm from Utah, and to be honest, I kinda take offense at this. Provo is 2,193.8 miles from New York city, and we hardly have the same kind of US accent.

edit: punctuation
Edited by Emerald101

As it relates to uniforms i got it stuck in my head that Sadeas' army wore red. Maybe it has to do with him having a red nose, or i think he his shardplate is red. I read this passage in WOK on Kaladin's first bridge run that i think is referring to Sadeas and his shardplate being red.

"As he finished, the last of the foot soldiers passed over the bridge. They were followed by several mounted lighteyes in gleaming armor. At their center rode a man in majestic, burnished red Shardplate. It was distinct from the one other Kaladin had seen—each suit was said to be an individual work of art—but it had the same feel. Ornate, interlocking, topped by a beautiful helm with an open visor."

As i just started rereading the Way of Kings i just noticed that the description for his colors and symbol were a yellow glyphpair in the shape of a tower and a hammer on a field of deep green. but not matter what i think i keep picturing his army wearing red. 

I'm from Utah, and to be honest, I kinda take offense at this. Provo is 2,193.8 miles from New York city, and we hardly have the same kind of US accent.

edit: punctuation

sorry you took offence. i never implied there's anything wrong with the way you guys speak, it's just enough of a different language that i have difficulties with it. as for america being a big place and having many different accents in many places, i am aware of that, but i had difficulties with all those I came in contact with (new york, washington, something my father picked up from working for the american army, what they use in movies, and brandon when he makes youtube videos). although, aside from the new york accent, the other accents i can manage to understand passably after a while, and i'd say brandon's is the one i understand better. but the point is, i find difficult to understand all the different american accents i heard, if some more than others, so i felt safe enough in generalizing that. again, there was no bad intention on my part.

I imagined Szeth as asian, and I could not be more wrong, as the shin are more like western Europeans than any others on Roshar.

Edited by Redbird

I imagined Szeth as asian, and I could not be more wrong, as the shin are the more like western Europeans than any others on Roshar.

I imagined Szeth looking like the aliens in X-Files and since Brandon did say Shin eyes were slightly bigger than our eyes... I am keeping my mental image  -_-

I am glad to see I was not the only one to picture Rock as a black man. I picture Sigzil as looking African, perhaps from Senegal or Congo, but that one is probably a good mental image.

I imagined Shardplate as being formed of Crystal as well, but it's definitely a "metal" that cracks like a crystal would

And I imagined Shardblades kinda like this

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs28/i/2008/047/2/d/Kenji_Crystal_Swords_by_Lee99.jpg

Stormlight is white(ish). Diamonds are the clearest Gemstone used, and their light is white. Zircon's give a blue-white light.

The Japanese cover for The Way of Kings had a very crystalline looking shard plate.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4153350176?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I'm of the same opinion as OP. (My headcanon is perhaps not so big as baubles, but definitely bigger than the size of fingernails.)

Some other misconceptions:

- Sadeas: rather thin and Snape-like (I struggled for so long to change my depiction of him, and eventually draw him as fat and reddish, but fashionable at the same time…)

- Dalinar: with NO beard (Just because many people believe he does wear a beard.)

(But I'm not sure if this can be counted as one, since a WoB confirmed that he is clean shaven in most cases, IIRC.)

- Kaladin: very tall and lanky, looks like an athlete (Fleet?) (But by carrying bridges, canon Kaladin is obviously much stronger and more muscular than my mental image.)

- Alethi uniforms (especially Kholin uniforms) are Prussian.

- Vorin havah is a mixture of Sari, Ao Dai, Qipao and Shalwar Kameez, but with NO buttons at the front. (I just can't put those two lines of buttons correctly…)

- Thaylen eyebrows are VERY long.

- The Shins are black. (*Facepalm again*)

- Shardplate: close-fitting, something like a medieval Iron Man armor. (I always get the impresssion that the Shards are not completely made out of metal, but crystal or other things, and Shardblades must be translucent…)

- Syl is blue. Stormlight is white verging on blue. Ivory dresses like a Count Dracula.

I'm of the same opinion as OP. (My headcanon is perhaps not so big as baubles, but definitely bigger than the size of fingernails.)

Some other misconceptions:

- Sadeas: rather thin and Snape-like (I struggled for so long to change my depiction of him, and eventually draw him as fat and reddish, but fashionable at the same time…)

Sadeas... I keep picturing him as this old cartoon character from my childhood  :ph34r:

14_lshwy.jpg

- Dalinar: with NO beard (Just because many people believe he does wear a beard.)

(But I'm not sure if this can be counted as one, since a WoB confirmed that he is clean shaven in most cases, IIRC.)<

I picture Dalinar without a beard as well, with a short crop hair akin to the military hair cut. He is NOT handsome, which is kinda canon, but most art I have seen do draw him in a positive manner. He is also very tall and built like bull: very imposing physically, large chest, large arms, large everything  :ph34r: I dunno if all is canon, but this is how I picture him, in my head.

- Kaladin: very tall and lanky, looks like an athlete (Fleet?) (But by carrying bridges, canon Kaladin is obviously much stronger and more muscular than my mental image.)

This is a common one... I think most people picture Kal as very thin, but he did say he was getting quite buff in WoK due to the bridge lifting thing... So I tend to see him as such and he has hair, a lot of hair  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Tall and lanky is how I picture Renarin  ;)

I keep on forgetting that Rysn has really long eyebrows. In my mind I usually see her a normal Caucasian girl. Trying to fix my mental image of her never works for long.

I keep visualizing every shard blade as a halo energy sword, with the sound and everything when it is summoned. I also picture Dalinar ALOT younger than he should be, like early thirties rather than almost fifty. And it is really difficult to visualize the Alethi hair as black, with it being mixed with other colors when they have an impure bloodline. Whenever I try to think of the mixed hair I end up seeing Adolin's hair as spotted black like a dalmation.

I picture Rock as a Klingon, Syl is green, Spheres are large as plumbs. Alethi are white Europeans. Shardplate is an Ironman suit. Dalinar is ALWAYS wearing blue. Hoid is Petyr Baelish from Game of Thrones. I probably have several more misconceptions that i don't even realize are wrong.

I keep visualizing every shard blade as a halo energy sword, with the sound and everything when it is summoned. I also picture Dalinar ALOT younger than he should be, like early thirties rather than almost fifty. And it is really difficult to visualize the Alethi hair as black, with it being mixed with other colors when they have an impure bloodline. Whenever I try to think of the mixed hair I end up seeing Adolin's hair as spotted black like a dalmation.

Spotted like a dalmatian? LOL. I picture Adolin as a typical blond haired young guy: whatever black he has does not show unless you are really close, which fits canon close enough, I think. In my head, he does not have a lot of facial/body hair (not hir on the head) because blond guy often don't. 

Oh and Alethi do not have hair on their chests  :ph34r: Not a single one  :ph34r: They are not hairy people. When I say Kaladin is hairy, it is because he has a very strong black beard, but elsewhere: no hair  :ph34r:

I picture Rock as a Klingon, Syl is green, Spheres are large as plumbs. Alethi are white Europeans. Shardplate is an Ironman suit. Dalinar is ALWAYS wearing blue. Hoid is Petyr Baelish from Game of Thrones. I probably have several more misconceptions that i don't even realize are wrong.

Rock as a Klingon!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: I picture Alethi as a mix between white North Americans and Native... If they stay long enough under the sun, they tan and can get quite dark (in fact I see their skin tone as my father who is a mix blood between a white father and a Native mother: if left too long under the sun, he gets nearly black, otherwise, he is pretty white, but with a natural tan). Or perhaps a mix between Western Asia and European, something like that, which seems close enough to canon as Brandon did state they would be a mix and not a clear ethnicity on Earth. 

Shallan though is very very white, almost ghost like pale. Adolin is somewhere in between, because he is blond and blond people usually have a lighter skin tone.

Oh and I picture the darkeyes has having a darker skin tone than the lighteyes... In part because of inter breeding and in other part because my mental image is highly influence with the Victorian era were nobles pride themselves on their milky skin tone while the poor had a darker o :ph34r: ne due to working under the sun all day.

I absolutely love Hoid as Petyr Baelish  :wub: I may steal your depiction  :ph34r:

I am in team blue for Syl. Pattern is black. Windle is transparent... He has not color  :ph34r:

Wait, you mean Dalinar isn't always in a blue and silver uniform? I could swear he slept wearing a uniform with a cerimonial sword on his belt.

Dalinar never wore anything else than his uniform, even as a youth  :ph34r:

Alethi men sleep in ugly nightgowns that descends to their knees  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: Dalinar's has the Kohlin glyphard embroidered in front of his.

Edit: My text made it seem as if I picture Adolin as bald... In my head, he has a LOT of hair on his head, just not a lot elsewhere.

Edited by maxal

+1

I now have a mental image of a Klingon in a kilt for Rock! I think I'm getting further away from canon-description not nearer! But yes, Dalinor is ALWAYS in blue, true fact that! Even his pyjamas will be blue (and buttoned and the top will always match the bottoms).

Add some blue and a broken nose, with shorter, less curly hair here. That's my Dalinar. Granted, Clancy Brown doesn't sound like Dalinar, but he sure does look like him.

Clancy_Brown.jpg

Oh! I forgot about this: When someone talks about clearchips, firechips, etc. I picture little flakes of gemstone, (sort of like the Sims diamond logo?) Only the broams are spheres. Marks are sort of in between the two shapes.

Edited by Curiosity

+1

I now have a mental image of a Klingon in a kilt for Rock! I think I'm getting further away from canon-description not nearer! But yes, Dalinor is ALWAYS in blue, true fact that! Even his pyjamas will be blue (and buttoned and the top will always match the bottoms).

Dalinar wearing unmatching pyjamas tops and bottoms???? SCANDAL.