ZincAboutIt

Valeria, the Grand Hotel, the Bindpoint

The rest of her trial shift was uneventful, for which Valeria grateful. Arge had quickly dismissed her suspicion of Valeria's involvement after the young pair had left abruptly, and indeed, had complimented Valeria for her dedication.

"Your drink serving could be steadier, but I didn't think I'd be getting any one to volunteer for vomit cleaning duties." Arge quipped. 

They sat together on adjacent bar stools after the establishment had shooed its last patron out, and the lights dimmed for closing. Valeria smiled nostalgically. 

"My life took me elsewhere, but once upon a time I did it professionally." She leaned in conspiratorially to the woman with the stained apron across her lap. "The secret is baking soda," she stage whispered with a wink. 

Arge laughed. 

"Alright Valeria, you're on. We can't pay much but the perks are nice." Arge smiled and reached behind the counter to an open bottle of Elarial estate, and deftly plucked two clean glasses with her spare hand. 

She poured for herself and began to fill a glass for Valeria. "Stuff costs a pretty penny, and for good reason, but it tastes like rust after being opened for more than a day, and none of the fancy fop's would be caught dead ordering from a used bottle."

It was indeed like no other wine Valeria had ever tasted, and she sighed in contentment. When the night was done she was given her wage, and she wandered then to the address given to her and turned the Golden key over in her hands. The district was grand, and the building itself modern and plush. Quite a change from the splintering wooden bench she had made her recent rest stop. Something about the unexpected generosity pulled at a nagging anxiety within herself. But the nights were cold, and she needed to look her best if... When, she mentally corrected herself. When I find her. 

A brief exchange with the concierge gave way to well lit hallways and soft carpeted doorways.

The red headed woman, Lita, had said that the suite was spare, and that in itself told Valeria much about the other woman's wealth. But not much about how she had come about possessing it. 
"I am very grateful to miss Lita," she began to the bellhop. His blue uniform crisp, and freshly pressed, he nodded non-committedly.

"It's right this way ma'am."

Valeria smiled at the fresh faced young man and thanked him for his assistance. So, she thought with a creeping nervousness, the staff are trained in disgression. Terrifying

Once the bellhop, Kevin, had been dismissed (and given a chryst for his trouble), Valeria took in her surroundings. 
The sound of the closing door gave way to complete and eery silence. She hugged her arms to her chest and rubbed her biceps as she wandered to open a window over the bustling street below. A hawker cried out in the distance.  

Much better. she thought.

The days passed quickly from then. Her days were spent inquiring at various schools and orphanages, and even several guilds.

More than one seedy place actually tried to convince her some poor urchin was her Squishy. As though she would not know that it was some strangers child instead. 

She learned of Him too, The Stranger, and of The Lonely God.

Voidus was apparently known by a different name here at times, and was known for other feats too. None sounded as evil as the destruction she knew he was capable of. She spent her time traveling between establishments pondering his existence here. 
Finding no success, she spent her evenings working at the bar, and would wander back to the suite on weary feet, to collapse on the voluminous bed a few hours before the next dawn.

It pained her, but she chose to remain at the suite for a couple of days. She had earned enough money to buy a new outfit, and food to get by, but could not waste the day with idleness. And so it was that despite her aching soles, she spent her week's end in the kitchen of the suite, baking her love's chocolate chip cookies. Trying desperately to avoid spilling too many of her mournful tears into the mixture.

It was a cathartic process, sperate bowl of Vanilla frosting included, but it was the first time she had allowed herself to feel the fullness of his loss.

An abrupt knock at her door brought her out of her reverie, and she took the plate of fresh baked cookies through to the coffee table on her way to answer the door. 

"oh!" She exclaimed cheerfully, as she wiped away a tear. "I was wondering when you would come!"

@Voidus @ZincAboutIt

Lita, Lita’s apartment, the Alleys

Lita stood in front of the mirror and carefully plaited her hair. Her fingers moved through the strands, pale slivers in a sea of red, separating each section, crossing it over, holding it still. Repeat. Repeat again.

Breathe.

The motion calmed her, a practice that came close to meditation in the way it centered her in her body. A ritual always performed before going out into the world, a way to put on unseen armor. She never let her hair down in public - only in private. And even then, only with a select few. 

Lita smiled at a memory, one of Laurelai’s long slender fingers pulling through her hair as they lay warm and spent in Lita’s bed. It had been easy to let her hair down for Laurelai, when the woman finally asked for it. The last few days had been a contrast to the week before, blurry and warm and full of blue eyes and silvery hair. The small pouch of tin powder in her bedside drawer lay mostly untouched - mostly. It was still important to stay sharp, stay on top of everything. That weight on her was still there. But it was far less lonely knowing that Laurelai was there, wanting her around. Not hating her for what she’d done. Brilliant, gorgeous, wickedly-talented Laurelai. Her only friend.

Wish I felt so optimistic about all of her family. The thought soured her good mood, and Lita tied off her braid. It hung down over her shoulder, its end curving around her bust line and brushing the crux of her elbow. 

She eyed her reflection with uncommon intensity, not trusting her usual confidence in her appearance. Today she had to present precisely the correct image. Professional, a woman to be taken seriously. But not too seriously, or she’d appear insecure. She’d chosen a black pencil dress, something quite modest in comparison to most of her closet with its neckline barely lower than her collarbone and the hem brushing her knee. The back cut down a bit lower - she did have a reputation to maintain after all - but hardly enough to appear presumptive. Lita stepped into a pair of black heels polished to mirror shine and looked at herself again, cocking her head.

Not quite right yet…

On an impulse, Lita slid a pair of ruby drop earrings out of her jewelry box and hung them in her ears, echoing the color on her lips. The touch of red, startling against all that black, felt right. 

Lita nodded once, then walked from her room without a second glance, sliding a small pile of paperwork off her kitchen table and into her arms as she made her way to the door. Laurelai had left earlier in the day, mentioning some business she had to get to in Records. Lita had waved her off, glad for once to have some time alone to prepare. Laurelai was uncomfortable enough about her father, she didn’t need Lita’s unease as well. 

As she neared the door, she reached out instinctively to put the gold Coin into a hidden dress pocket before stopping herself. She looked at the Coin for a long moment, then set it back on the small side table next to the door. One god was enough for today; she didn’t need the disappointment of another haunting her thoughts.

With a last deep breath and a straightening of her spine, Lita exited her apartment, locked her door, and Alleytravelled. It was time to ask god if she could open a bar.

@Voidus

His fingers, long and well-manicured, drummed along the surface of his sturdy desk. The wood was from a world that no longer existed. It had served its time in Voidus' office very well, and was older than any but the oldest of denizens. How many times had he sat at this desk and heard of some cataclysm or another that was affecting one of the many worlds that the Alleys connected to? How many times had he received reports that the Alleycity was in dire jeopardy. Well, both the desk and the city had endured each of those times, as of course, had Voidus himself.

It had been a gift, a very long time ago. Far less unusual than many of the other gifts he had received, but for long years it had carried a certain sentimentality to it. But now, Voidus could barely stand the sight of the thing. It had only been an hour ago that he had started musing on the desk and its origins, but in that short time he summoned a greater deal of anger towards piece of furniture than he had any of those petty tyrants who brought worlds low, or threatened the city.

On the desks other side, his office's only other occupant perched on a chair. The girl was perhaps a few years younger than Voidus' daughter, and despite the palpable irritation he exuded she seemed utterly unfazed. Her head still remained cocked slightly, questioningly, to one side in the same manner it had been two minutes ago when she had asked a question. Most denizens would have asked, possibly tremblingly, if something were the matter. Or simply spoken to break the silence. But there she sat, not quite motionless, but simply waiting for his reply contentedly.

"Fine." Voidus said at last, his voice low but dismissive. "You really need not come to me for such things, couldn't you speak with your department head? You are under Counterintelligence correct?"

The girl shook her head softly, short brown strands of hair swaying as she did so. She hesitated a moment, though not in either fear or confusion, before words began to creep into the air around them, sourceless and strained. Another unsettling aspect of his visitor was her tendency to communicate in this way, though Voidus found that far less unusual than her personality.

"Lita has... reassigned me." The words said hauntingly. "It has been difficult to speak with her since..."

Since the Forgery. Voidus mentally finished. Something had passed between those two then, though Voidus himself had far more pressing things to concern himself with. But if it was affecting them both still a fortnight later, perhaps it would need to be addressed. The question was nearly on his lips when the voices spoke again.

"Forgive me for interrupting." She said, giving a short nod of the head. "If I may, I will go to make the arrangements?"

There was... something about those words. Tin-enhanced senses let Voidus perceive far more than just facial expressions when meeting with someone. And the very subtle flutter of a pulse was usually as easy to read as a book for someone with veritable eons of experience. But just now he could not quite place what it was... satisfaction? That was perhaps the closest.

Before he could puzzle out anything further, a subtle shift in reality brought his attention to the door. Another visitor, though a scheduled one this time which he appreciated. He gave one final glance towards Whisper, who either did not seem to notice the nearby Alleytravel or did not pay it any attention. Voidus gestured with one hand towards his office's entrance, sending the girl slipping down to ground level and immediately crossing the carpet.

The girl already out of mind, Voidus gave his table another withering stare, gesturing to the wood with a similarly dismissive wave he obliterated it into a smudge of darkness before immediately recreating another, somewhat more plain desk out of a sturdy walnut, the delicately crafted grain of the dark wood belying its unnatural origins. His papers merely fluttered for a moment at the sudden removal and then reintroduction of the supports, the rustling sound quickly overcast by a louder rapping of knuckle against wood as his visitor knocked. The door was already opening as the second wrap came.

"Miss Attar." Voidus said, looking up to see the new head of Counterintelligence. "You are amicably punctual. Young Miss Whisper here was just leaving."

@ZincAboutIt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laurelai paced nervously in front of the mirror, looking over her appearance again, fussing over her hair, removing her sapphire earrings then re-adding them again a moment later. She bit her lip with worry, though that she quickly pulled under control as soon as she noticed it. Best not to need to heal herself if she could avoid it. And best to stop the motion before it became a habit.

"It's not lying." She told herself once again. "I haven't promised not to look into her myself. This is just... investigative."

The surety in her voice was almost convincing, if she hadn't been able to feel the flutter of nervousness, seen the slightly averted gaze. Laurelai felt like she had only just managed to patch things up with Lita, they were closer than ever. Did she really want to risk ruining that just to chase some mad dream that was almost certainly someone trying to influence her father? True, Laurelai had not exactly promised that she would leave Valeria alone. But she had promised not to get swept up in the woman's story.

"But I'm not." She spoke as if a reminder. "I'm not getting carried away just... best to figure out how she knew so much and so little at the same time. That's all, nothing more. I know that she's not-"

She paused as she glimpsed a shadow in the mirror, she whirled to face it in a moment, mind flashing to a return of the shadow creatures from the Forgery or a nightmarish creature from the deep Alleys. Instead she met the rather wide-eyed and startled face of a bellhop, carrying some luggage behind. In an instant she replaced her wary expression with one of polite greeting, and either the Bellhop was one of the worlds better liars, never entirely impossible, or his face shifting to the trained look of polite deference that so many in service industries perfected was absolutely genuine.

"So sorry." She said, not really meaning it and moving past him. "These halls are just so easy to get lost in sometimes."

"Do you need any help ma'am?" He asked politely, though still moving slowly past to imply he had other matters to attend.

"No, no." She reassured him. "I've just realized I'm on the wrong floor."

She gave a dazzling smile, enjoying the moment of stunned bemusement it earned, and began to glide her way towards the stairs at an unhurried pace. She was now committed, and needed to either leave to downstairs or travel up to Lita's suite. Up or down, which was it to be?

"Oh!" Valeria exclaimed as she greeted Laurelai at the door, looking much the same as she had a week prior. "I was wondering when you would come!"

"Yes, I hope you've been doing well and you don't mind the intrusion." Laurelai began, smiling gently. "I do apologize I couldn't check in on you sooner. May I come in? I was wondering if you'd perhaps had any luck finding your family."

@Mrs. Voidus

Mike, University District, The failed exam

The moment Mike stepped into the bar about an hour after the robbery, he immediatly felt comfortable. He had been visiting the failed exam for a long time now and its sounds and smells were familiar like a very good friend. The music was just loud enough that you could talk to your neighbour, but didn't risk being overhead by someone else, if said someone else wasn't using allomance or other meands to heighten their senses. But then you always had to calculate on investiture to ruin your plans.

He headed over to the bar and gave the barkeep, a young woman in her early twenties a quick smile. "Something strong." he told her with an exxagerated sigh. "I failed my exam." and offered her the first pass phrase. She nodded and filled a glass with a violett liquid. When she pushed it over to him with smile she asked. "You did? Was it close?" Mike grabbed the glass and sniffed its content. It had a sharp sting to its smell, only partially hidden behind mind and something else, orange maybe? "Not too close to be sad about it." he continued their exchange after taking a small sip, added another line to their prescripted conversation. It was easy to remember and difficult to spot, at least once you knew what was going on. You failed your exam, but not too close, nor didn't you score a single point. And then, then you had to start to really think about your words and remember what was spoken.

"At least I don't have to attend another one this week." he let her know that he wanted to drop something off and that it would be picked up this week. "That's good to hear." she smiled at him more widely and then turned to another customer who had arrived only a short time after Mike. Once he had a drink and was wandering off towards one of the tables she turned back to him. "So you're more or less done?" she asked and he took another sip, grimaced slightly at the strong taste of mint mixed with some citrus fruit. "Yes, more or less. Only a small, not too important one in sight for now." The woman nodded and made a shooing motion with her hand. "In that case I can only recommend you take a seat and spend some of your time doing something of value. Like drinking." He laughed dutifully and took his drink after placing a order for some of the cheapest food they offered. Then he walked over to one of the tables at the sides of the room and sat down.

The bar wasn't too full during this time of the day, but there were enough customers around to fill the room with a gentle buzz and he found himself relaxing. As soon as Adran had the item in his possession the job was more or less done. He would text his client with the number to pick it up and then he would receive the rest of the money. Another job done. Mike placed the grey bag with the motivator on the floor next to his feet, careful to keep it behind them and close to the wall. When he straightened again and reached for his drink he froze, stared at the back of his hand. Small scales covered it, shined gently in the artificial light. Snake. So she had to be close, had to be watching his actions. Mike swallowed and wished for his food to arrive soon. the job had gone well, very well if he was honest with himself. Whatever traces he had felt would be hard to follow and Adran was famous for protecting both sides of a deal. You wanted an anonymous exchange of goods? Go to Adran. You wanted a safe place to hand over some information? Sit down at a table at the failed exam. Adran always claimed, that he had failed his last exam specatcularly, but that hadn't hindered him at all to create a very, very well running business. He wasn't cheap, but he was good. When he sat in the middle of a deal you were on as dry a ground, as you would find with this type of employment.

Thankfully the scales vanished quickly and Mike relaxed a little. The better he felt, the less he changed and the last thing he wanted was to turn into some weird monster in front of everybody. His food arrived only a short time later and he dug in, ate quickly without pausing for a second or two. Fresh food was good. It had a special taste, that you never noticed until you ate the stale one from yesterday. Unless you had a stew in your bowl. Stew usually tasted better after a night or two. As soon as he was done he downed the last of his drink and got to his feet, his grey bag in his hand. Lifting a hand in greeting to the badwoman he left the Failed Exam, walked casually towards the next means of transport. Only when he was  a little away from the bar did he open his bag. Instead of the motivator it now contained a little box of roughly the same size. In it was a number. "37" Mike reached for his communication device and texted the number to his customer. And that easily he had nearly completed a deal.

@EmulatonStromenkiin

Lita, Voidus’s office, the Alleys

She strode through the Alleys with her usual purposeful grace, the stiletto points of her heels connecting with the floor, each step making a light, staccato ‘tap.’ Weaving a path for Alleytravel was nearly second-nature now, her subconscious mind taking care of the necessary caveats and closing the loopholes that made manipulating dimensions possible and, at least reasonably, safe. Unfortunately, this left her conscious mind plenty of time to fret over her oncoming meeting. 

“…advantageous,” she murmured under her breath, one polished nail tapping against the papers she cradled in the crook of her arm. “I believe this location will prove advantageous… no, believe is too hopeful… it is my opinion that - no, my professional opinion… rust it.”

Lita stopped walking for a brief moment, taking a breath to settle her nerves. This was hardly some sort of disciplinary meeting, she didn’t need to be so anxious. She had a good idea and worst case, the answer would be ‘no.’ It was inefficient to disintegrate heads of departments simply because their suggestion was not to one’s liking. Mac had been shamelessly embezzling a truly shocking amount of funds for at least several decades. If that didn’t account for a disintegration, then Lita would be fine.

Right?

She resumed her Alleytravel, forcing herself to keep her expression neutral, her pace steady and unhurried. Lita was efficient, she was observant and thorough. She was sleeping with Voidus’s  daughter.

Unimportant. Lita quickly shoved her panic down. Totally irrelevant.

She was the consummate spy, organized and cool under pressure. She had been, up until two weeks ago, the Stranger’s object du jour, and had quite literally slept with his cognitive shadow.

Not helpful, Lita!  

She was running her department on half the funding with no loss in effectiveness.  She was charming, clever, useful. Very useful. Far too useful to simply kill.

Too useful to abandon, to disregard, to leave unappreciated? You thought all those things too. 

Lita closed her eyes to the voice, banished the thought of him. Of them. This was a simple meeting, and the Stranger was dead. Very dead. At the hand of the person she was about to meet, in fact. He was no longer relevant. He held no power over her anymore. 

Why wasn’t that more comforting?

Lita blinked, realizing she had been standing outside of Voidus’s office door for at least a minute now. She raised her hand to knock, knuckles rapping once on the plain wood, when the door opened.

“Miss Attar." Voidus’s voice was cool, measured, precise. "You are amicably punctual. Young Miss Whisper here was just leaving."

Lita looked down slightly, meeting the wide grey eyes of the younger woman and trying not to shiver. She’d always been unnerving, but now the image of Whisper standing motionless beneath the waters of the Chapel played in Lita’s mind. The terror, the confusion, the haunting echo of Whisper’s voice featured in plenty of Lita’s restless nightmares. 

She nodded to Whisper, a perfunctory motion, and the girl looked back at her with a slight expectant smile. Rusts, that was far more unnerving than her usual stoic expression. Something in her eyes stirred Lita’s memory, but then the girl was gone, closing the door behind her, leaving Lita alone with the Head of the Dark Alley.

”Good afternoon, sir.” Lita inclined her head again, this time a bit deeper. Not quite a bow, but close. She walked forward, her heels clicking on the fine wood floor. “Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.”

Gods, but he looked like Laurelai. The same high, angular cheekbones, the set of his mouth, the fine silver-blonde hair. All but the eyes. Lita bit down on a shudder, meeting those two black eyes, placid and endless as the yawning space between stars. She smiled pleasantly, not showing her unease, setting one of two folders onto his desk.

”While I was here I thought I’d take the liberty of delivering the most recent Departmental expense report myself, though it is not the point of my visit. Managing a cadre of spies gives one an appreciation for guaranteed security of information.”

@Voidus

Valeria, The Grand Hotel, The Bindpoint

"Oh!" Valeria exclaimed as she greeted Laurelai at the door, looking much the same as she had a week prior. "I was wondering when you would come!"

"Yes, I hope you've been doing well and you don't mind the intrusion." Laurelai began, smiling gently. "I do apologize I couldn't check in on you sooner. May I come in? I was wondering if you'd perhaps had any luck finding your family."

Valeria stepped aside as she opened the door and gestured with her free arm to the spacious hallway and sitting room. 

"Veni initus, come come, how are you dear? That was quite a turn the other night, have you seen a physician?"

Closing the door behind the blonde guest, Valeria noted the stable gait and somewhat rigid posture that could indicate recovering pain, or nervousness. But then, I am a stranger to her. Oughtn't I feel as a stranger to her?

@Voidus

Edited by Mrs. Voidus
added @

Laurelai, The Grand Hotel, The Bindpoint

Laurelai entered the somewhat familiar space of Lita's suite, glancing around to see it as lovely as she remembered. Blessedly the reversal of the Forgery had not affected this building at least. Her eye drifted for a moment to the bathroom, where a hot shower could be found along with comfortable and fluffy gowns for afterwards. It was a more difficult task to remove her gaze than she would have liked, but the rooms current resident was the real focus here, not its bathing facilities.

"Thank you." Laurelai said, setting a perfectly polite smile to her lips as she swept in, waiting for Valeria to close the door before following the woman. "And no, I haven't. Not this time at least, it's... a little complicated. Only a few weeks ago I was a physician actually. Did you arrive after the Forgery broke down?"

She kept her tone easy, her glance seemingly casual, but there was an intense glint to her blue eyes, a focus and eye for detail that immediately noticed the tear tracks down Valeria's cheeks, the reddened eyes, the very subtly weary appearance of someone who was enduring a difficult time. Her clothes were new however, Scadrian make unless Laurelai missed her guess. A recent acquisition?

She certainly looks like someone trying and failing to find their family. Laurelai mused. And the clothes... a recent purchase after her living situation stabilized? It just... fits so well. Her ears are still the same too... if this is someone simply disguising themself then they haven't let up the act for an entire week.

She had to still her hands to stop them from rising to her own ears, now properly rounded again once she'd had time to fix them. Why had this woman tried to mimic such an unusual feature of Laurelai's? And one that anyone who had been spying on her would likely be able to guess the origin of? Laurelai was not exactly subtle with her Forgery these days.

@Mrs. Voidus

---------------------------------------------------------------

Voidus, Voidus' office, the Alleys

“Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.” Lita Attar, the DA's new head of Counterintelligence said as she entered.

Voidus' lips twitched upwards into a faint smile at the words, no doubt meant simply as a standard polite greeting. But truly, what did Voidus have but time? All the time in the world, and then some more after it in all likelihood. And yet he spent that time in endless reviews over requests to expand activity from Acquisitions, acquire extra funds from Counterintelligence, and from R&D...

Voidus felt the faint smile slip instantly, replaced by an equally faint furrowing of his brow, but he swept the thought from his mind before he began dwelling too long on it again. There was little point in dwelling now. The Stranger had been dealt with. Now even the desk that he had given Voidus had been erased from the world and replaced with something new. Yet still, there was a lingering irritation that would not quite resolve itself.

”While I was here I thought I’d take the liberty of delivering the most recent Departmental expense report myself, though it is not the point of my visit." Lita continued, smiling in an amicable but professional manner. "Managing a cadre of spies gives one an appreciation for guaranteed security of information.”

Voidus gestured towards the now-vacant seat opposite him, wordlessly offering its use to the new department head. The gesture was mostly rote at this point, a casual drift of the hand, as he did so he gave a glance over his visitor. Far less unusual than most who rose to positions of heads of department, though that was perhaps fitting considering the department she now led. Then again, what passed for unusual in the Alleys was quite a high bar. Though she was dressed relatively simply, Lita herself was far from ordinary or plain. Voidus imagined she likely drew stares any time she entered a room.

"Sit, please." He said as he gestured. "An expense report was it? Cautious and prudent of you to deliver yourself. I appreciate the care you give to your work. We can certainly use someone who does at least."

His faint smile returned, an edge of tiredness to it as he gave a soft sigh. It would mean far less wasted time for him if others took similar care for their work. Had they done so once and simply had that trait worn away by time? Or was it perhaps the tendency of the Alleys to draw those who were insatiably curious, prone to inadvisably dangerous action, that led towards so many disregarding the small details of their work, leaving others, most often Voidus, to pick up the slack.

"But if that is not what you wished to discuss we should get to the matter at hand." Voidus continued. "What does our new department head need today? More funding?"

It was a common request, from some departments more than others but Mac had never been shy about requesting additional funds when he held the position. Voidus imagined that a new leader of the department would likely require additional funding to keep everything running. It was an irritation, but a manageable one, and one that he had been expecting.

@ZincAboutIt

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

Mike, University District, The failed exam

The moment Mike stepped into the bar about an hour after the robbery, he immediatly felt comfortable. He had been visiting the failed exam for a long time now and its sounds and smells were familiar like a very good friend. The music was just loud enough that you could talk to your neighbour, but didn't risk being overhead by someone else, if said someone else wasn't using allomance or other meands to heighten their senses. But then you always had to calculate on investiture to ruin your plans.

He headed over to the bar and gave the barkeep, a young woman in her early twenties a quick smile. "Something strong." he told her with an exxagerated sigh. "I failed my exam." and offered her the first pass phrase. She nodded and filled a glass with a violett liquid. When she pushed it over to him with smile she asked. "You did? Was it close?" Mike grabbed the glass and sniffed its content. It had a sharp sting to its smell, only partially hidden behind mind and something else, orange maybe? "Not too close to be sad about it." he continued their exchange after taking a small sip, added another line to their prescripted conversation. It was easy to remember and difficult to spot, at least once you knew what was going on. You failed your exam, but not too close, nor didn't you score a single point. And then, then you had to start to really think about your words and remember what was spoken.

"At least I don't have to attend another one this week." he let her know that he wanted to drop something off and that it would be picked up this week. "That's good to hear." she smiled at him more widely and then turned to another customer who had arrived only a short time after Mike. Once he had a drink and was wandering off towards one of the tables she turned back to him. "So you're more or less done?" she asked and he took another sip, grimaced slightly at the strong taste of mint mixed with some citrus fruit. "Yes, more or less. Only a small, not too important one in sight for now." The woman nodded and made a shooing motion with her hand. "In that case I can only recommend you take a seat and spend some of your time doing something of value. Like drinking." He laughed dutifully and took his drink after placing a order for some of the cheapest food they offered. Then he walked over to one of the tables at the sides of the room and sat down.

The bar wasn't too full during this time of the day, but there were enough customers around to fill the room with a gentle buzz and he found himself relaxing. As soon as Adran had the item in his possession the job was more or less done. He would text his client with the number to pick it up and then he would receive the rest of the money. Another job done. Mike placed the grey bag with the motivator on the floor next to his feet, careful to keep it behind them and close to the wall. When he straightened again and reached for his drink he froze, stared at the back of his hand. Small scales covered it, shined gently in the artificial light. Snake. So she had to be close, had to be watching his actions. Mike swallowed and wished for his food to arrive soon. the job had gone well, very well if he was honest with himself. Whatever traces he had felt would be hard to follow and Adran was famous for protecting both sides of a deal. You wanted an anonymous exchange of goods? Go to Adran. You wanted a safe place to hand over some information? Sit down at a table at the failed exam. Adran always claimed, that he had failed his last exam specatcularly, but that hadn't hindered him at all to create a very, very well running business. He wasn't cheap, but he was good. When he sat in the middle of a deal you were on as dry a ground, as you would find with this type of employment.

Thankfully the scales vanished quickly and Mike relaxed a little. The better he felt, the less he changed and the last thing he wanted was to turn into some weird monster in front of everybody. His food arrived only a short time later and he dug in, ate quickly without pausing for a second or two. Fresh food was good. It had a special taste, that you never noticed until you ate the stale one from yesterday. Unless you had a stew in your bowl. Stew usually tasted better after a night or two. As soon as he was done he downed the last of his drink and got to his feet, his grey bag in his hand. Lifting a hand in greeting to the badwoman he left the Failed Exam, walked casually towards the next means of transport. Only when he was  a little away from the bar did he open his bag. Instead of the motivator it now contained a little box of roughly the same size. In it was a number. "37" Mike reached for his communication device and texted the number to his customer. And that easily he had nearly completed a deal.

@EmulatonStromenkiin

Balance dashed through the streets of Alleycity, following the tracking beacon. The twelve hours of rest, along with a nasty concoction Demaren Technotic had had him to drink, had revitalized him surprisingly quickly from his collapse after Realizing the dress for Cassie. Balance shuddered. While the strange drink had tasted nasty, it was not nearly as horrible as watching Demaren implant a control box in the stump of his leg. While there had been surprisingly little blood, it was still horrifically fascinating to watch. In the end Demaren had only enough energy to pull out a tracking beacon and tune it to the tracker. The beacon had seemed a bit confused at first, trying to go in two directions, but it finally settled on one after a few minutes.

Balance grinned as the wind rushed past him. He loved the feeling of freedom that running gave him, the freedom from cares. But it could not last. He came to a door on the side of a tall dilapidated building. He knocked aggressively after waiting a few moments outside.

So, this is where Mike is hiding/just at when Balance tracks him down. The tracker was a harmless radioactive isotope, a decent amount of which is now stuck on Mike. I didn't want to describe the building too much to give you plenty of leeway.

@Sorana

“Sit, please." He said as he gestured. "An expense report was it? Cautious and prudent of you to deliver yourself. I appreciate the care you give to your work. We can certainly use someone who does at least.”

Lita sat, her practiced smile gaining a genuine shine at the compliment. She did put quite a good deal of thought into her work, thinking things over, planning the best course of action. It was always validating to receive praise for a job well done; she had not expected to receive it here of all places. Someone as old as Voidus struck her as being callous, indifferent, too bored by the world to notice or even care about the level of attention put into her work. It was a pleasant surprise.

“But if that is not what you wished to discuss we should get to the matter at hand." Voidus continued. "What does our new department head need today? More funding?"

Lita blinked at his question, expression completely unguarded for one moment, before rearranging her features back into her typical pleasant, attentive mask. “Quite the contrary, actually. The Counterintelligence department is operating on such a colossal surplus I have had a hard time deciding what to do with it. Based on what figures I could glean from Mac’s tenure, the department is now operating on roughly half the previous fund amount, with no detectable loss in productivity or ability of my agents to do their jobs. I had considered giving the slush fund back to you to distribute as you saw fit, but then another idea struck me.”

She chose her next words carefully, tone pitched just right to maximize tact and minimize criticism.

”It has occurred to me that we may be missing out on a subset of potential promising new denizens using only our current recruitment method - namely that of tacitly encouraging interested parties to wander into the nearest Alley and try not to perish.”

Lita crossed one leg over the other, laying her hands in her lap, the picture of a poised, collected woman. Inside, she was shaking. Well, in for a clip, in for a boxing.

”While this method may work for those with a temperament better suited to -“ Lita caught herself before mentioning R&D, “Acquisitions, it is almost entirely out of character for those with less reckless dispositions. Those who would find their place in Records, Public Relations, or Counterintelligence, for example. I myself was recruited in a bar - and that is what I would like to open. With your permission, of course.”

Lita sat back in her chair, still smiling, giving the impression of patient contentment. Internally, her pulse thundered in her ears, amplified by tin. Green eyes locked onto the half-familiar face of a demigod, seeking the slightest hint of disapproval, of irritation. She tapped one lacquered finger against her knee - the only outward sign of her unease - and waited.

@Voidus

Valeria, The Grand Hotel, the Bind Point

As they walked to the soft leather couches and glass topped marble table Valeria wiped the last of her plentiful tears from beneath her eyes. She waited for her guest to sit before taking the opposite sofa and placing a cushion behind her own back. 

"You were a physician? How fortunate then. In what field did you specialise? " Valeria noted to her self the hint of sadness in the past tense phrasing Laurelai used.

"I was a practising Psychiatrist myself, before..." She tried to shake the far away look from her face, then decided against it. This woman and her gifriend had done nothing but help, and Valeria was a believer of wearing one's emotions openly.

She leaned forward to take a still warm cookie from the plate between them.

"Before everything. So I suppose we have recent unemployment in common. I miss it, but perhaps I can find a suitable university to pick things up again after my Laurelai has been found."

She took a not-ungenerous bite, and hastily collected a small handful of crumbs that had fallen to her bosom. 

"No luck yet," she said sadly through her mouthful. "But I felt the pull to this place, and spent time uncountable pressing, pressing, pressing to break out of the Voidspace because I knew she was here." 

Valeria lifted the cookie to her mouth again but hesitated. "But once I broke through, nothing. I couldn't feel her anymore. The magic here is strange. Everything is strange here."

She lowered her hand fully and widened her eyes. "Dominus Supra! And I seem to have lost my manners as well. Please, help yourself to cookies, they are... were, Lucien's favourite. Would you like a coffee? Tea?"

@Voidus

Edited by Mrs. Voidus

Laurelai, The Grand Hotel, The Bind Point

Laurelai glanced curiously around the room as she sat, taking in the magnificent space of the suite. The windows that looked out over the the rest of the city, laying out the main paths and twisting side-streets that formed its base. There was an elaborate mirror, almost extending to the ceiling and with a beautifully patterned frame. The furniture was all lovely, and comfortable of course, Lita knew how to maintain a space aesthetically without  sacrificing the comfort of those who used it.

And there's a woman claiming to be your mother. A voice reminded her. Remember her?

Laurelai reluctantly pulled her attention back to Valeria. Or the woman who claimed to be Valeria at least. Laurelai had not quite let on to Lita exactly how unsettling she found the pretense. The strange mix of accuracy and incomprehensible details.

"No luck yet," Valeria said, through a mouthful of cookie crumbs "But I felt the pull to this place, and spent time uncountable pressing, pressing, pressing to break out of the Voidspace because I knew she was here."

Voidspace? Laurelai thought to herself, turning the term over in her mind. Is that a real term? Gods know that Voidus... my father. Was not exactly the most creative when it came to etymology. The Worldspike. The Alleycity. The Alley world. But then it could also be a term that anyone trying to make something up might use.

"And I seem to have lost my manners as well." The woman continued, breaking once more into Laurelai's thoughts. "Please, help yourself to cookies, they are... were, Lucien's favourite. Would you like a coffee? Tea?"

"Thank you." Laurelai said with a polite smile, leaning forward to take one.

Was that a joke? Foolish mistake if it was, she was pretending not to know that Lucien and Voidus were the same person the other night. Or is it simply a trick to get me to eat one of these? Poison? A sedative? They're very much underestimating the palate of someone who's been to R&D before then.

Laurelai lifted the biscuit to her lips, taking a small bite and catching the crumbs with another hand readied beneath. The soft texture spread through her mouth, chocolate melting as she bit into it. Her eyes widened in surprised for just a moment before she managed to pull back into a look of polite appreciation. It was not perhaps the best that Laurelai had ever tasted, there were departments in the DA whose baking was literally legendary after all. But something about it was... comforting. Not just rote creation from a recipe or cold clinical research to perfect taste, something more simple.

"Quite delicious." She said, forgetting the possible danger and taking a second bite. "Are they from here? I don't believe the Grand had any like this the last time I visited. As for a drink, please you must allow me. I've rudely forgotten to bring anything."

That had been a calculated oversight rather than an accident, a setup for just this chance. Most spies had their own means of dealing with a potential poisoning, and also tended to be suspicious of it happening to them. Most were also excellent at concealing that suspicion from an average person. But Laurelai Esserethel was far from average.

With a wave she filled both the teapot and a pair of cups with hot, dark liquid. The fumes rose immediately into the air, carrying a habitual feeling of relaxation to Laurelai. She was about to set her biscuit down to handle the cups when she realized that she had already finished it. Giving herself a momentary mental scolding for her carelessness, she picked one cup up to set in front of Valeria, and the other in front of herself.

"Voidspace?" She asked, reasoning that such a line of curiosity was perfectly natural. "I'm not sure I'm familiar with the term. Something from your world perhaps?"

She blew gently on her cup, causing its surface to ripple gently as she looked at Valeria with keen, insightful eyes.

@Mrs. Voidus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a curious habit of Tineyes, Voidus had noted, and other such hyper-perceptive individuals, that they tended to somewhat often forget the possibility or even the likelihood that others might possess the same gifts. Of course most Tineyes were not so trained in the reading of tiny expressions, or the sound of someone's pulse so much as to hear a skulking thief or the whistle of a blade cutting through the air.

But I expect that our new head of Counterintelligence is most certainly a Tineye with those kinds of skills. Voidus thought, listening with a slightly attentive but largely neutral expression. Still, perhaps she has simply not had the time to mask those signs herself. Most people live such short lives.

The thought prompted a slight tilt of his head, an idle curiosity as to whether he should perhaps instruct her in the practices. He had engaged in lessons with many of their previous department heads, both before and after they attained their position. Even Mac, who had held this role before Lita Attar, had received tuition in the art of Voidmaking. Still, there was plenty of time for that, best to let her gain her bearings in the role first. Overcome the worry that she no doubt felt, if the rapid patter of her pulse was to be believed.

But quickly it was his turn to reign in his expression as she mentioned first that she did not need any additional funding, a feat virtually unheard of from a department head, and then that she had the department functioning perfectly with only half the budget they already had. Certainly Voidus had been no stranger to the various indiscretion of denizens in the Alleys. One did not start an amoral guild of scientists and spies and expect their bookkeeping to be clean. But this was still beyond expectations.

”It has occurred to me that we may be missing out on a subset of potential promising new denizens using only our current recruitment method - namely that of tacitly encouraging interested parties to wander into the nearest Alley and try not to perish.” Lita continued, speaking with care and tact.

Can't blame her for the concern. He reminded himself. Less than a fortnight ago she saw you murder another department head.

That thought brought a renewed surge of frustration, quickly quelled and without disturbing either his expression or his heartbeat. Thinking of the Stranger was a shortcut to such irrational bursts of anger even now.

”While this method may work for those with a temperament better suited to... Acquisitions." Lita said, the hesitation barely noticeable but his mind filled in the missing department all the same and his self control slipped just enough for the ghost of a frown to cross his face. 

"it is almost entirely out of character for those with less reckless dispositions. Those who would find their place in Records, Public Relations, or Counterintelligence, for example. I myself was recruited in a bar - and that is what I would like to open. With your permission, of course.”

His own fingers rested carefully on top of his newly-reformed desk for a few moments, letting the anger fade so that he could consider her actual proposal. Opening a bar may very well have been simply another method to use departmental funding for personal enjoyment, but in Voidus' experience those who wished to do that were usually more inclined to simply open such a location and offer the prepared excuse only if caught.

"Cautious, prudent, and skilled enough to run the department on half resources?" He began, lips twitching up into a slight smile. "Enough that I am disappointed in myself for not giving the position to you sooner. If I may be so conceited, I usually have an eye for those who are talented or useful. A most unfortunate oversight."

Lita had also, Voidus now noted, led the department which required the least additional oversight in the aftermath of the Forgery. In spite of the fact that Counterintelligence was one of the departments most heavily affected, aside from PR. He could certainly spare a few moments of honest praise for someone who had reduced the number of headaches he had to endure, and to consider her proposal carefully, without dismissing it as merely an attempt to overreach by someone new to their position.

"A recruitment drive then?" He asked, arching one golden-brow questioningly. "It would not be the first time someone has suggested it. But previous attempts... well. Generally the people of the city do not react well to any open signs of our presence. Little enough danger, but that is a problem I could do without considering... recent events."

@ZincAboutIt

Most people were embarrassingly easy to read, even without tin. Others required more careful insight, a closer inspection, before Lita could tease out what they might be thinking or feeling. And a precious few were so very composed that even a Tineye could only guess at their innermost thoughts.

The leader of the Dark Alley was one such person. As she spoke, Voidus’s expression remained remarkably neutral, a canvas of unbothered reception. Once or twice, Lita thought she caught the whisper of a frown, the smallest quirk of a brow, each emotion a vast leviathan stirring deep beneath the surface, causing only the slightest ripple. Lita considered herself quite practiced in the art of concealment, but this was mastery on another level.

"Cautious, prudent, and skilled enough to run the department on half resources?" He began, lips twitching up into a slight smile - more obvious now. Something she was meant to see. "Enough that I am disappointed in myself for not giving the position to you sooner. If I may be so conceited, I usually have an eye for those who are talented or useful. A most unfortunate oversight."

The words warmed Lita like a sip of fine spirits, heat spiraling out from her core to color her cheeks. She shifted in her chair, rolling her shoulders a bit and taking the moment to siphon the unexpected blush into one of her brassminds. Lita allowed her smile to brighten, the genuine pleasure reaching her eyes, though internally embarrassment followed swiftly after.

Survivor, how long had it been since she’d heard such obvious, unguarded praise? Too long, if this was how she reacted. She was an adult and ought not require such validations. But damn if it didn’t feel good to know she was skilled at her job. Talented. Useful.

Just another tool. The voice whispered into her ear, subtle and soft as always. But it did not carry its usual sting. Everyone used others, it was the way of things. Lita could be a tool, if someone took the time to clean and polish her now and again.

“Generally the people of the city do not react well to any open signs of our presence. Little enough danger, but that is a problem I could do without considering... recent events."

Lita blinked a few times as she realized Voidus had been speaking and she’d largely missed half of it. She quickly rewound what he’d said, scolding herself for allowing her mind to wander in such an important meeting, and leaned forward to place the second stack of papers on his desk.

”I daresay you may be as conceited as you like,” Lita said, the words slipping out in far more informal a tone than before, smile just a touch insouciant. “After all, who could stop you?”

The horror at her own descent into a more typical, easy banter hit her a moment after she stopped speaking, and she covered her alarm awkwardly, pointing toward the stack of papers with renewed formal professionalism.

”Ah, not a recruitment drive in the strictest sense. I am hardly suggesting we set up a booth in the Bindpoint and begin handing out leaflets to passersby. More a… place to send inquiring minds. Somewhere you might find ‘someone who knows someone.’ A place to vet potential recruits. Somewhere to send contracted third parties for a dead drop. That sort of thing. And that would just be the… front room.”

Lita smiled, one corner tilting up a bit more than the other. Lovely, white, and sharp. “I thought perhaps the second half of the club could be catered to a more… refined taste. Dark Alley taste, that is. The sort of place one might find anything at all, if you know how to ask. And are willing to pay the price.”

She slid a preliminary floor plan sketch out from the pile and set it atop the rest.

”If you have any specific requests for such a place, they would of course be taken into the highest account, and your patronage would be welcome at any time.”

@Voidus

With a cool gaze, Voidus observed the reactions of Lita Attar. A little surprised but not displeased, he took in the warm smile that she did not try to conceal, and the warm cheeks that she did, the momentary flush pulled away with supernatural speed. A brassmind? And a somewhat unorthodox application of one, though Voidus approved of both unorthodox applications generally and the skills of those who used them. For a moment, her guard seemed to lower, her shoulders relaxing, an unforced smile. Almost it was enough to capture Voidus' interest and prompt a second such compliment to see if he received similar results. There were far less pleasant ways to spend ones time than a game of conversation with someone both talented and attractive. But pleasant as such games were, he should likely not participate in them with someone who was both his employee and a friend of his daughter.

”I daresay you may be as conceited as you like,” Lita said, slipping from a formal tone of professional request to something much more familiar. “After all, who could stop you?”

Who could stop you? A startling comment both for its shift in tone and also its similarity to what Vivica had said just the other evening. His brow arched immediately in surprise and amusement at the words as a grin spread across his lips.

And weren't they both right, really? Few enough existed who could even try to prevent Voidus from doing exactly as he wanted. And most of those technically worked for him. Was it the correct thing to do after all? He had coerced neither Vivica nor Lita into speaking these words, so he could then assume them to be unbiased. Perhaps Voidus had simply become so used to hearing hushed whispers of rebuke and criticism from those in the city who opposed the DA.

”Ah." Lita said, seeming to recover from her bout of improfessional casualness. "Not a recruitment drive in the strictest sense."

He returned his own expression to one of cool but attentive interest. Listening to her proposal before making any response of his own. He had intended to keep from giving away any more of his thoughts until then, but he could not quite stop from sharing her smile as she launched into her vision for a back room catering to the tastes of the DA. That grin of hers was sharp enough to serve as a knife. Voidus imagined that quite a few people may have cut themselves upon it.

"Not too often I find myself in the city, but perhaps if there were somewhere... more to Dark Alley tastes, as you said. I might visit more often." He said, grinning lazily as he reclined back into a less formal posture to consider the proposal. "So. Somewhere that the curious, but not quite suicidally so, might find themself. We don't run the risk of any accidents in the Alley reducing potential, or stumbling into the wrong denizen and ending up on a surgery table instead of a recruitment offer. Yes, I suppose I can see how that may result in more recruits."

He leaned forwards again, fingers steepled as he loomed over them to fix Lita in his stare. The idea certainly had merits, there was no doubt about that. And operating from rumor rather than openly was barely any more risk of turning public opinion than they incurred with current recruiting methods. But then the question was, why was Lita making the proposal? Simply a desire to excel? That Voidus could certainly work with. Truthfully even if she was doing so only to have somewhere to acquire free drinks it would still be a benefit to the DA. The only truly problematic possibility was if it was motivated by some misguided sense of morality to save lives, but Voidus doubted it was that. Lita did not have the eyes of those void-damned Radiants or the moralists of TUBA. She had familiar eyes, hungry eyes.

Tell me, little Lita, does your Hunger still drive you? A voice, a memory echoed in his mind. A familiar voice, one of the most familiar for Voidus. A voice he had heard for longer years than any other save his own. Gods how he hated it.

His grin faded and his mouth tasted suddenly ashen. He twisted his lips in distaste, forcing the memory away, but the taste remained. Unlike the many other would-be-rulers that Voidus had killed over the millenia, the Stranger lingered in his mind.

"There are some glasses in that cupboard." Voidus said aloud, gesturing to a cabinet behind Lita. "We should drink if we are to discuss the opening of a bar, should we not?"

Maybe the bottle of wine Whisper had brought would rid his mouth of that bitter taste.

@ZincAboutIt

Mike leaned back in his chair and sipped some broth. His stomach growled and he cursed silently. He should go out soon and get some food. With a frown he took another sip of his broth. It would have to do for now.

Behind him, a red light started to blink and he turned around, gave himself a slight push, so that he rolled over to several monitors hanging along a wall. He set his mug aside and straightened, used the controls to check one screen after the other. Someone was knocking on the door. He zoomed closer, took in the tall stranger, his cloths, his posture. Dangerous. The word popped into his mind and he cursed again. The stupid destruction of his guild had left him without their database and had crippled the hideouts that were left. Mike waited for a few breaths, but when nowone else headed towards the door he felt a spike of fear along his spine. But then the hope had been a slim one anyways. You didn't knock. You either knew who you were visiting, or you didn't come here. And that meant - Mike switched to another camera, grateful that at least these hidden gems were still functional and looked at the stranger's face. It was the man from earlier, the one from the store.

Feeling cold he got to his feet, his hands shaking. Run. The thought ripped through his mind while orange fur covered his arms. Run, hide, he doesn't know where in the building you are. He can't break into these rooms, they are secured. Hastily he rushed to his backpack and threw some things into it, not really thinking about what he might really need. Run. The thought pounded in his head along with his heartbeat and he had already left the hideout, the doors closing behind him with a gentle hiss, the security meassures active when he realized how stupid this was. Mike pressed a hand to his forehead and forced himself to take a deep breath, to push fox aside.

A cool, gentle thouch on his arm made him look down and he saw that the fur had vanished and that his arm looked normal - apart from the tiny scales that covered it here and there. The world swam around him when his eyes changed to squid's, his fear making it near impossible to keep them all reigned in. Think! He shouted at himself. Think, you alleyfrog!

Mike slamed his hand against a wall and grit his teeth in frustration. Think. The man had followed him to this place, so he had to have been at the failed exam, too. That he had been able to do so in short time meant one of two things. The man who had watched him enter and leave the store had talked and he had very  very good contacts throughout the city. Mike knew the quarters by heart, he had ensured that he moved through the territory of different gangs on his way here. Or two - he had placed some kind of marker on the motivator and it had rubbed off on Mike. Unlikely, but possible. More likely than the other option? He considered this for a moment and then sighed. And third, some weird type of investiture was being used. So he was at a disadvantage. Better to assume that the other one was standing in a higher place for now.

Mike stood there, frozen and then started to move, his eyes turning back to human and then his pupils changed to slits, their color to a bright yellow. He walked upstairs, through a hallway until he reached the front door. With a friendly smile Snake opened the door and smiled at the one who stood outside.

"Welcome." She said using Mike's voice and body. "How can I help you." Inside his head, Mike yelled at her, tried to get his control back and failed for now. Snake liked secrets. And she wanted to know how they had been found. The spikes in his side throbbed and he wished he could cry, wished that they would leave him finally alone. Snake took a small step back and continued to smile. "Would you like to come in?"

@EmulatonStromenkiin

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

Mike leaned back in his chair and sipped some broth. His stomach growled and he cursed silently. He should go out soon and get some food. With a frown he took another sip of his broth. It would have to do for now.

Behind him, a red light started to blink and he turned around, gave himself a slight push, so that he rolled over to several monitors hanging along a wall. He set his mug aside and straightened, used the controls to check one screen after the other. Someone was knocking on the door. He zoomed closer, took in the tall stranger, his cloths, his posture. Dangerous. The word popped into his mind and he cursed again. The stupid destruction of his guild had left him without their database and had crippled the hideouts that were left. Mike waited for a few breaths, but when nowone else headed towards the door he felt a spike of fear along his spine. But then the hope had been a slim one anyways. You didn't knock. You either knew who you were visiting, or you didn't come here. And that meant - Mike switched to another camera, grateful that at least these hidden gems were still functional and looked at the stranger's face. It was the man from earlier, the one from the store.

Feeling cold he got to his feet, his hands shaking. Run. The thought ripped through his mind while orange fur covered his arms. Run, hide, he doesn't know where in the building you are. He can't break into these rooms, they are secured. Hastily he rushed to his backpack and threw some things into it, not really thinking about what he might really need. Run. The thought pounded in his head along with his heartbeat and he had already left the hideout, the doors closing behind him with a gentle hiss, the security meassures active when he realized how stupid this was. Mike pressed a hand to his forehead and forced himself to take a deep breath, to push fox aside.

A cool, gentle thouch on his arm made him look down and he saw that the fur had vanished and that his arm looked normal - apart from the tiny scales that covered it here and there. The world swam around him when his eyes changed to squid's, his fear making it near impossible to keep them all reigned in. Think! He shouted at himself. Think, you alleyfrog!

Mike slamed his hand against a wall and grit his teeth in frustration. Think. The man had followed him to this place, so he had to have been at the failed exam, too. That he had been able to do so in short time meant one of two things. The man who had watched him enter and leave the store had talked and he had very  very good contacts throughout the city. Mike knew the quarters by heart, he had ensured that he moved through the territory of different gangs on his way here. Or two - he had placed some kind of marker on the motivator and it had rubbed off on Mike. Unlikely, but possible. More likely than the other option? He considered this for a moment and then sighed. And third, some weird type of investiture was being used. So he was at a disadvantage. Better to assume that the other one was standing in a higher place for now.

Mike stood there, frozen and then started to move, his eyes turning back to human and then his pupils changed to slits, their color to a bright yellow. He walked upstairs, through a hallway until he reached the front door. With a friendly smile Snake opened the door and smiled at the one who stood outside.

"Welcome." She said using Mike's voice and body. "How can I help you." Inside his head, Mike yelled at her, tried to get his control back and failed for now. Snake liked secrets. And she wanted to know how they had been found. The spikes in his side throbbed and he wished he could cry, wished that they would leave him finally alone. Snake took a small step back and continued to smile. "Would you like to come in?"

@EmulatonStromenkiin

Balance was getting ready to remove the hinges from the door when it opened, revealing a man with yellow slitted eyes like a snake. At least, that was all he saw with his normal eye. With his framesight, he saw six strange shapes in the man's body, some sort of spikes. A faint twisting was emanating from one of the spikes, twisting the lines of the man. Balance did not know what to make of it.

Balance looked around, wary. He saw nothing that would indicate an ambush, so he should be relatively safe. "I would like to come in, changed one. I have some questions to ask you."

@Sorana

On 14.2.2023 at 10:03 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance was getting ready to remove the hinges from the door when it opened, revealing a man with yellow slitted eyes like a snake. At least, that was all he saw with his normal eye. With his framesight, he saw six strange shapes in the man's body, some sort of spikes. A faint twisting was emanating from one of the spikes, twisting the lines of the man. Balance did not know what to make of it.

Balance looked around, wary. He saw nothing that would indicate an ambush, so he should be relatively safe. "I would like to come in, changed one. I have some questions to ask you."

@Sorana

Changed one. It sounded like a title from a movie. Snake took a step back und gestured for him to step inside. "Of course. I hope I can answer them to your satisfaction." she replied politely and then cooly led him towards a little room just a few doors in. It was furnished with a table and two stools, two shelves placed against the wall to their right. "Would you like to drink something?" she asked their visitor with a wide smile, that felt wrong on his face.

"I'm Markus, by the way." she used a name back from his time as an underling, when he had been laughed at, when it had been a joke to call differently every time someone addressed him. Mike watched, suddenly glad that he didn't have to handle this conversation. "And you are?"

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Changed one. It sounded like a title from a movie. Snake took a step back und gestured for him to step inside. "Of course. I hope I can answer them to your satisfaction." she replied politely and then cooly led him towards a little room just a few doors in. It was furnished with a table and two stools, two shelves placed against the wall to their right. "Would you like to drink something?" she asked their visitor with a wide smile, that felt wrong on his face.

"I'm Markus, by the way." she used a name back from his time as an underling, when he had been laughed at, when it had been a joke to call differently every time someone addressed him. Mike watched, suddenly glad that he didn't have to handle this conversation. "And you are?"

Balance eyed this Markus suspiciously. The name did not sound quite right, but no matter. "I would not like anything to drink, thank you. I am called Balance." 

22 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance eyed this Markus suspiciously. The name did not sound quite right, but no matter. "I would not like anything to drink, thank you. I am called Balance." 

"It’s a pleasure to meet you." Balance. Not his real name, that much was certain. But then, names were nothing but smoke and sound. Quickly uttered and quickly changed. Suspicioun made his skin crawl at the polite way Balance talked to him. You didn't do that with someone who had just robbed you. His leg wobbled when squid took a peek at their visitor and Mike quickly sat down, his eyes changing back to human. Control. He had to keep them under control. He felt his shoe hang loosely on his foot and suppressed a frown. Instead he tried to hang on to snakes path.

"Please, sit down." He offered a little belatedly, wondered how long he should go on with this. Better to get over with it soon. He opened his mouth to speak but found his tongue stilled. And so he only smiled and wished for another place, for a world without spikes, without those living inside them.

4 hours ago, Sorana said:

"It’s a pleasure to meet you." Balance. Not his real name, that much was certain. But then, names were nothing but smoke and sound. Quickly uttered and quickly changed. Suspicioun made his skin crawl at the polite way Balance talked to him. You didn't do that with someone who had just robbed you. His leg wobbled when squid took a peek at their visitor and Mike quickly sat down, his eyes changing back to human. Control. He had to keep them under control. He felt his shoe hang loosely on his foot and suppressed a frown. Instead he tried to hang on to snakes path.

"Please, sit down." He offered a little belatedly, wondered how long he should go on with this. Better to get over with it soon. He opened his mouth to speak but found his tongue stilled. And so he only smiled and wished for another place, for a world without spikes, without those living inside them.

Balance sat silently in the offered chair. He watched as several ripples traveled through Markus, each originating from one of his spikes. 

"Yesterday, you stole a device from the safe in Technotic's shop. I need it back."

It was remarkably unsettling, Lita decided, how very human Voidus appeared. His fingertips pressed lightly together, head slightly cocked as he listened to her speak. The cold stoicism usually present on his face had melted into a lazy smile, amused and pleased. Lita had the distinct impression that she has caught him off guard with her, as he put it, “talent and usefulness,” and that novelty alone pleased him quite a bit.

Lita read all this from his expression, cataloguing this allowance as she listened to him speak approval over her idea. The swelling pride and elation over not only being given permission to begin her work on the club but also impressing someone so important should have had her floating on air. But Lita caught something stirring deep within the god’s eyes, and her stomach seized.

The mixture was a familiar one, heady and potent: fear and fascination. They moved through Lita like twin serpents, coiling around and over one another until they were impossible to untangle. There was only the twisting, the smooth endless loop that was born even as it was devoured. A feeling Lita had keenly missed, a gnawing hollow in her core that had grown wide and hungry in the last fortnight. She herself had rooted it out, torn it from herself with fingers bloodied and cheeks wet from tears. Never again would the Stranger pierce her through with his mismatched eyes. Never again would his Shade whisper poison honey into her ears and trace spectral fingers down the length of her throat. She was no longer “little Lita,” but Lita Attar. She was no longer someone’s sharpened blade, to be used for purposes not her own.

That freedom should have been comforting. 

It was not.

"There are some glasses in that cupboard." Voidus said aloud, gesturing to a cabinet behind Lita. "We should drink if we are to discuss the opening of a bar, should we not?"

Lita blinked, her musing wiped away by the singular decisiveness, the total certainty of his voice. She was up and out of the chair in a moment, moving automatically, her body glad to do something, to move and have purpose beyond sitting and remembering painful things. The cupboard in question was simple, elegant, and well-stocked with every conceivable type of glass, as well as the apparatus to prepare a myriad number of drinks. Lita ran an approving eye over the display, selecting two large wine glasses and a bottle opener before returning to the desk and setting the glasses down.

Her fingers flipped open the bottle opener with practiced ease, and she was already cutting the wax seal off the deep green bottle on Voidus’s desk before she had a true, conscious thought about what she was doing at all. The motions had seemed so obvious to her, hands twisting the corkscrew into the soft cork and then pulling it back out, the cork giving a soft, satisfying ‘pop’ as it slipped free. Lita removed the cork from the screw and set it aside, lining up the two glasses and taking a short, purposeful breath.

She picked up the bottle in one hand and poured the wine. Two perfect glasses, each identical, and all without spilling a drop. The ritual calmed her, the same one she had been practicing for almost two weeks now, and Lita felt herself smile again. It was, perhaps, her best pour yet. Fortunate indeed that she had decided to revisit this old skill.

”Your glass.” Lita slid one glass across the table, the deep crimson liquid swirling slightly, catching the light.

She was struck, then, by the oddest feeling. A kind of certainty that both made perfect sense and caused a deep unease. This was the last piece of Whisper’s premonition in the Chapel. This is what she had been ‘practicing’ for. This moment right here, pouring wine for the creature that had slain another god. A creature who looked at once so very human, and so terribly divine. 

Lita wondered, as she gave Voidus a perfect, practiced smile, what had been so noteworthy about this precise moment in time to cause Whisper to include it at all. Surely her opening a bar was mundane in comparison with the other elements of her premonitions. Why bother, then? A joke, perhaps?

Unlikely. Lita shivered, not entirely from fear, and raised her glass.

”To new things,” she said. Her hand barely shook at all. Remarkable, really.

@Voidus

Valeria, The Grand Hotel, The Bind Point

When her blonde guest had asked if the cookies were store bought or pre-made, Valeria thought first that the girl had very poor manners. Or that maybe she had not lead a life of luxury, built around the etiquettes of visitation. Three offenses so far, in both arriving unannounced and empty handed, as well as implying that her host could not prepare a simple biscuit herself. The biscuits were simple, but Laurelai had already finished her first one, despite her initial hesitation. 

Valeria smiled then at the joy of creating something pleasing, and nodded along to help ease the tension behind whatever reason Laurelai seemed to have brought with her on this visit. 

"The Voidspace?" she answered. "From my world? No dear, of course not. I would expect it was quite the other way around. Everything comes from nothing does it not? or at least that was how it was told to me. In the old days, before even there were cookies, or tea," she sat forward to take the proffered cup and saucer. 

"Thank you. Two sugars if you please." She waited for the clinking to cease after Laurelai added the small cubes and stirred with a fine silver spoon. Very poor manners indeed. Eager to please though. 

"Perhaps that is not what it is called. It was never spoken of explicitly, only guessed at, and even then our best philosophers and physicists had written countless contradictory papers on the theories surrounding..." Valeria shook her head with a wry chuckle. 

"That was not what you asked, was it? Veniam mihi ramblins." 

She  took a sip from her cup, pinched between thumb and forefinger and took a moment to collect her thoughts.

"It all happened so fast you see. Or, that was how it felt. But in retrospect, it was a long time coming. When Lucien met Voidus, they seemed at first to be two normal scientists, obsessed with discovering new ways to develop the fields of transmutation, evolutionary biology, most things really. Which," she added with a nostalgic gleam to her eye, "if you know anything about science is a rather large faux pas. Specificity in ones field is key. But together it was like they had no one field at all. I did not know that he had begun to develop magic. He did not know that I had either. We,"

Valeria paused and looked to her cup, taking a sip and setting it back on its saucer mournfully before speaking again. 

"In marriage, you see, secrets are the ultimate death. I  - don't need to be telling you this part of the story, you just have such a look about you, like I could tell you all I knew and still you would want to know more. He was like that too. We both were. We did not realise just how alike in that we were until the night Voidus came, and destroyed our world."

Tears welled in her down cast eyes and Valeria's breath came and went unsteadily. 

"We did not know until that final moment. He was dying, and she was between us, perhaps too stunned to scream. I held her then, and the last thing my husband saw, before he sent her away, was my ritual of protection, flare against her scalp. Protect, my baby, with love. Did I make a mistake? I had never cast on another person before, I barely knew anything but what I felt. I had to save her mind, I had to stop her from being scared." 

A sob escaped her then, "I had to follow her, wherever she went."

Tears flowed freely now, and her hands shook as she set the still full cup down to the table and stood. Hugging her arms about her self, and her flour dusted apron. 

"So I did, I suppose. Into nothing. The lack of anything and any time," her voice croaked, "devoid of everything, everything except Lucien, and her, and me. I could feel them, but, that was all. I call it Voidspace because that is what I experienced it to be." 

Her arms lowered to her sides and she contemplated sitting once more. 

"I would imagine you are unfamiliar with the term because I made it up. Eons ago I suppose it was. I don't suppose I will ever know."

@Voidus

On 18.2.2023 at 11:21 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Balance sat silently in the offered chair. He watched as several ripples traveled through Markus, each originating from one of his spikes. 

"Yesterday, you stole a device from the safe in Technotic's shop. I need it back."

And there it was. Feeling suddenly very calm Mike adjusted the way he sat a little, made sure he would be able to get up quickly. And draw his knives should the need arise. In silence he checked his watch and then slowly shook his head.

"You're too late." he said with an outer calm that surprised him. Who knew how this Balance guy would react when his request was denied. Mike watched him carefully, his breathing steady, his hands not shaking at all, despite the cold fear that wrapped itself around his intestines. He had been trained for this. He had been forced to act when adrenaline was high and fear a cold shadow behind his back. He hated that he had been found, he wondered which mistake had led to this nightmare, but he could still act. And for now it would serve him well to maintain a professional air.

"Transfer is due in a few minutes." he added to appear a little forthcoming. They wouldn't make it back to the Failed Exam in time and it wouldn't to seem as if he was trying to help. Not that he had any intention to do so. He had been paid to steal the motivator and he had done so. That was the way the world worked. You paid for a service and received your goods.

Edited by Sorana

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

And there it was. Feeling suddenly very calm Mike adjusted the way he sat a little, made sure he would be able to get up quickly. And draw his knives should the need arise. In silence he checked his watch and then slowly shook his head.

"You're too late." he said with an outer calm that surprised him. Who knew how this Balance guy would react when his request was denied. Mike watched him carefully, his breathing steady, his hands not shaking at all, despite the cold fear that wrapped itself around his intestines. He had been trained for this. He had been forced to act when adrenaline was high and fear a cold shadow behind his back. He hated that he had been found, he wondered which mistake had led to this nightmare, but he could still act. And for now it would serve him well to maintain a professional air.

"Transfer is due in a few minutes." he added to appear a little forthcoming. They wouldn't make it back to the Failed Exam in time and it wouldn't to seem as if he was trying to help. Not that he had any intention to do so. He had been paid to steal the motivator and he had done so. That was the way the world worked. You paid for a service and received your goods.

Balance eyed Markus from the depths of his cowl. He was not lying, near as he could tell. He had freely admitted to having stolen the motivator, evidently for someone else. A hired hand. After a moments pause, he pushed his hood back, revealing his face. It was split down the middle between a normal human face and the blue lines of his wireframes.

"That is unfortunate. Who hired you to steal it?"

Laurelai, The Grand Hotel, the Bindpoint

It was with a monumental effort that Laurelai avoided the impulse to brush a hand over her head. The very moment the woman, Valeria, had spoken those words Laurelai had felt her scalp begin to itch. Of course every moment she tried not to think about it only made it itch even more. It was a long time ago that she had last felt it, but Laurelai recalled the warm sensation of lines of power bleeding from the top of her head down her body. Reassuring when everything else turned inevitably to ashes around her. The sensation had come less and less as she'd grown, and now... it must have been nearly a decade?

But I remember. How could I not?

It had been one of the many mysteries that had stymied her in her quest to know herself, one of the many roadblocks to being able Forge herself that she had needed to overcome. How many nights had she spent trying to Forge away her curse, crying in frustration at the blank spots in her knowledge? It was only after she stopped getting those sensations that Laurelai had finally become capable of Forging herself as well as others.

"I'm sorry, it must be very hard for you to think about." She said, injecting her worries and concerns into her tone to seem more genuine. "I don't wish to dredge up painful memories. But...:"

But what Laurelai? Why are you here? Why are you asking? Her mental voice questioned, sounding both exasperated and tired.

"But the other night, you seemed so terribly desperate." She continued. "I just wish there was something I could do to help. I lost my family when I was young, it's not a fate I would wish on anyone."

She gave a sad smile that quickly froze on her lips. Why had she just said that? Why had she given even more away? Provided even more of an opening for this Valeria to jump to conclusions. Or.. no, not to jump to conclusions. She already knew who Laurelai was, she had to. But this would give her justification to plead her case to Laurelai and peddle whatever story she had been able to come up with.

"I'm sorry." She said in a too-quick voice. "I... shouldn't have... very impolite of me to simply show up unannounced. I really should..."

She rose, attempting to reign in her panic and move in slow practiced motions that she had performed a thousand times. Excusing herself from dull or pointless conversations was a skill she had long since honed to perfection. Why was it so difficult now? Why was everything so difficult now?

@Mrs. Voidus

Voidus, Voidus' Office, The Alleys

”Your glass.” Lita said, sliding it to him after a well-executed pour.

An efficient spy, leader and sommelier? Rare to see such a collection of skills in someone with so few years. He mused thoughtfully as he gave an appreciative nod of the head.

”To new things." Lita continued, raising her glass.

And what new things have your heart racing so Lita? Voidus wondered curiously, sharp senses catching an irregular and accelerating rhythm.

"And to the new department head who manages to instigate them." He replied aloud with a small smile.

He took a moment to admire the glass as he lifted it to the light, and then as he lowered it to his lips to take the first sip he looked over the rim to admire the woman who had poured it. The ritual of drinking was pleasant, relaxing. And it managed to remedy him of his dry mouth and the ashen taste that his musings had brought about. Or perhaps that was simply the company. Voidus rarely drank when he was alone, alcohol did little to ease an immortal in itself. But with company the familiar easing of tensions and air of relaxing were usually enough that he could share in some part of it.

"Well I can see perhaps why the thought of a bar occurred to you." He commented, admiring his glass again. "Not often that one sees such serving skills outside of those who work in the industry. Something you picked up on an assignment?"

He turned his attention a little more fully towards her, his dark eyes sparking with a hint of curiosity as he tried to pick apart the puzzle that was Lita Attar. She was strangely... reserved. Her actions and expression too at odds with the less easily controlled signs like a change in the pulse. Was it simply because she was nervous about her position? She had certainly seemed it after her small slip into informality.

"It is an excellent idea, and if you can truly deliver it without requiring any additional resources... well I shall have to find some way to suitably reward you. Did you have anything in mind? Anything you would like?"

@ZincAboutIt