Who’s Cryptic did Syl spot?

Munazir

Shallan sent Pattern down as an attempted distraction for the Shardbearer that was hounding Renarin, the moment before Kaladin leaps from the stands to join the fray.

This was well before their Radiant powers and spren are revealed to each other, so Syl has yet to be acquainted with Pattern. Which is why she got distracted by the suspicious presence of a cryptic, and probably a little of her honorspren prejudice subconsciously kicked in as well.

11 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Yes, Shallan does send Pattern down prior. I don't have the chapter, but I do remember reading it.

10 hours ago, Ninth of the Night said:

Shallan sent Pattern down as an attempted distraction for the Shardbearer that was hounding Renarin, the moment before Kaladin leaps from the stands to join the fray.

This was well before their Radiant powers and spren are revealed to each other, so Syl has yet to be acquainted with Pattern. Which is why she got distracted by the suspicious presence of a cryptic, and probably a little of her honorspren prejudice subconsciously kicked in as well.

12 hours ago, Munazir said:

NO SPOILERS FOR ROW PLEASE

During Adolin’s duel with the four Shardbearers Syl saw a cryptic. Was that Elhokar‘s or Shallan. From OB we know that Elhokar would have become a Lightweaver so could that have been his spren, watching him.

It's a bit more obvious when seen together. WoR Ch 57:

Spoiler

“No,” Shallan said. “There’s something more.” Her eyes flicked down toward poor Renarin, completely overwhelmed as he tried to fight a Shardbearer.

For the briefest instant, she considered going down to help. Sheer stupidity; she’d be even more useless than Renarin down there. Why didn’t anyone else help them? She glared across at the gathered Alethi lighteyes, including Highlord Amaram, the supposed Knight Radiant.

Bastard.

Shocked at how quickly that sentiment rose inside of her, Shallan looked away from him. Don’t think about it. Well, as nobody was going to help, both princes seemed to stand a good chance of dying.

“Pattern,” she whispered. “Go see if you can distract that Shardbearer fighting Prince Renarin.” She would not interfere with Adolin’s fight, not as he’d obviously decided he needed to keep going for some reason. But she would try to keep Renarin from getting maimed, if she could.

Adolin had to turn to fight the other Shardbearer near him. On the other side of the arena, the fourth man—the one who had been “fighting” Renarin—was waving his sword at the ground for some reason. He looked up and saw how poorly things were going for his allies, then left Renarin and dashed across the arena floor.

Wait,” Syl said. “What is that?” She zipped away toward Renarin, but Kaladin couldn’t spare much thought for her behavior. When the man in orange reached Adolin, he’d again be surrounded.

18 hours ago, Treamayne said:

It's a bit more obvious when seen together. WoR Ch 57:

Reveal hidden contents

“No,” Shallan said. “There’s something more.” Her eyes flicked down toward poor Renarin, completely overwhelmed as he tried to fight a Shardbearer.

For the briefest instant, she considered going down to help. Sheer stupidity; she’d be even more useless than Renarin down there. Why didn’t anyone else help them? She glared across at the gathered Alethi lighteyes, including Highlord Amaram, the supposed Knight Radiant.

Bastard.

Shocked at how quickly that sentiment rose inside of her, Shallan looked away from him. Don’t think about it. Well, as nobody was going to help, both princes seemed to stand a good chance of dying.

“Pattern,” she whispered. “Go see if you can distract that Shardbearer fighting Prince Renarin.” She would not interfere with Adolin’s fight, not as he’d obviously decided he needed to keep going for some reason. But she would try to keep Renarin from getting maimed, if she could.

Adolin had to turn to fight the other Shardbearer near him. On the other side of the arena, the fourth man—the one who had been “fighting” Renarin—was waving his sword at the ground for some reason. He looked up and saw how poorly things were going for his allies, then left Renarin and dashed across the arena floor.

Wait,” Syl said. “What is that?” She zipped away toward Renarin, but Kaladin couldn’t spare much thought for her behavior. When the man in orange reached Adolin, he’d again be surrounded.

First time I read it I assumed it was Pattern but on my reread I notice Elhokar becoming a light weaver and we see Hoid take his cryptic at the end of OB. Also in OB we learn that high spren watch potential radiants so I thought it could have been his spren instead of pattern