Enhancing Hemalurgic Control

Trusk'our

So, I've been thinking about ways that a person could enhance their control over a Hemalurgic construct.

More Spikes: this one's pretty obvious, as we've seen it happen already. More spikes in a controlled construct equals and easier time dominating it.

Enhanced Mind: this one should also be intuitive, as we see from Vin in Hero of Ages that she begins to feel mentally fatigued by controlling tens of thousands of Koloss simultaneously. So, something like the Blessing of Presence might help, as might tapping determination from an Electrummind.

Stronger Connections: this is more of a theory, really. Since it seems that the reason that you can control a Hemalurgic construct in the first place is a weakened Spiritweb on their part, plus a Connection forged via Emotional Allomancy or some other method. So increasing the strength of your Connection, possibly via Feruchemical duralumin, might be able to help.

Weakened/Removed Identity: Since Identity is kind of the separation between the Spiritweb and the rest of the world, removing or reducing the Identity of your controlled constructs, which could be accomplished via Feruchemical aluminum, may increase your capacity to control them.

So, does anybody have any other ideas on how to improve one's control over a Hemalurgic construct?

Corollary to the Identity one is that Tapping the Identity of the target person from a Metalmind (ideally an overfilled Compounded one) might get you close enough to their Identity (similar to how Spiking Identity works).  

But the more I think about it the more I question whether you can actually Tap Identity from an unKeyed Metalmind.

I strongly suspect the 8th Heightening would help, if we equate this to Command Breaking on awakened objects/Lifeless.  

Well... any mundane method of bending someone to your control against their will should work. Weakening the mind, will, or spirit, so torture would probably work, particularly if it causes more cracks in the soul.

Probably any sort of Pavlovian conditioning, what you do after you have control and how you train them in their own mind to obey you. Ruin had a bit of a heavy-handed approach of trying to twist Marsh into loving death and ash.

Raw power would probably do it, give yourself additional Emotional Allomantic powers with Hemalurgy or augment your Rioting with Duralumin. 8th Heightening probably fits into this.

I think it would be possible to empty the hemalurgical creation of Identity, Connection, Emotion* and other attributes using Raysium bonded to Aluminum,

Duralumin and Raysium*  Metal Minds.

* Speculation without any support.

Feedback in bold:

On 7/18/2022 at 2:51 PM, Trusk'our said:

So, I've been thinking about ways that a person could enhance their control over a Hemalurgic construct.

More Spikes: this one's pretty obvious, as we've seen it happen already. More spikes in a controlled construct equals and easier time dominating it.

you monster. This is just inquisitors and no one likes inquisitors.

Enhanced Mind: this one should also be intuitive, as we see from Vin in Hero of Ages that she begins to feel mentally fatigued by controlling tens of thousands of Koloss simultaneously. So, something like the Blessing of Presence might help, as might tapping determination from an Electrummind.

these would totally work. Find an electronic compounder and be their best friend. :D

Stronger Connections: this is more of a theory, really. Since it seems that the reason that you can control a Hemalurgic construct in the first place is a weakened Spiritweb on their part, plus a Connection forged via Emotional Allomancy or some other method. So increasing the strength of your Connection, possibly via Feruchemical duralumin, might be able to help.

100% agree; I imagine this would be crazy hard (fatiguex1000!) for controlling an army and ridiculously easy for controlling individual constructs.

Weakened/Removed Identity: Since Identity is kind of the separation between the Spiritweb and the rest of the world, removing or reducing the Identity of your controlled constructs, which could be accomplished via Feruchemical aluminum, may increase your capacity to control them.

careful, this cuts both ways; if you take away what reduced Identity they have left then you might end up in a situation where anyone could control them, making them functionally problematic.

So, does anybody have any other ideas on how to improve one's control over a Hemalurgic construct?

Convince Harmony to splinter himself into smaller less helicopter-parent-like pieces.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:31 PM, Duxredux said:

Well... any mundane method of bending someone to your control against their will should work. Weakening the mind, will, or spirit, so torture would probably work, particularly if it causes more cracks in the soul.

There's a possible reverse effect there though- Zane cutting himself weakened Ruin's voice in his head, so I think causing pain actually weakens control. Intense emotion of any kind might: koloss and Inquisitors are harder to control when 'berserk'.

--

Soothers/Rioters can combine efforts to control koloss, so that's another option: get help. Or use a Primer Cube charged with emotional allomancy.

Hmmm, I wonder if you're Soothing and somebody else is Rioting do you cancel out? Or not in this case since you're not really targeting specific emotions?

Edited by cometaryorbit

On 27/07/2022 at 5:26 PM, cometaryorbit said:

There's a possible reverse effect there though- Zane cutting himself weakened Ruin's voice in his head, so I think causing pain actually weakens control. Intense emotion of any kind might: koloss and Inquisitors are harder to control when 'berserk'.

iirc there was actually a theory that they couldn't be controlled with hemalurgy in that state because they're acting in line with the intent of Ruin