Not Deadeyes Dead spren...

Shardsplinter

Question

What happens to a spren whose bond isn't sufficiently advanced to manifest as a Shardblade when their KR breaks their oaths? (Thinking about Syl on WoR, for example)

What happened to all the spren whose bonds weren't sufficiently advanced to manifest as a Shardblade during the Recreance? Did they become deadeyes too, but manifesting only in the CR? Are they "less dead" because their Bond was less advanced? 

Has this been directly explained in the books? Or maybe in WoBs? 

Thanks to everyone who answers!

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Shardsplinter said:

What happens to a spren whose bond isn't sufficiently advanced to manifest as a Shardblade when their KR breaks their oaths? (Thinking about Syl on WoR, for example)

What happened to all the spren whose bonds weren't sufficiently advanced to manifest as a Shardblade during the Recreance? Did they become deadeyes too, but manifesting only in the CR? Are they "less dead" because their Bond was less advanced? 

They would appear to be completely dead, just like the others. Every Honorspren died, and I doubt that every single Honorspren was in an bond of the third oath or more, so itappears that they died like the rest. I'm guessing they can't manifest in the physical realm as a Shardblade, although I'm not 100% sure.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

They would appear to be completely dead, just like the others. Every Honorspren died, and I doubt that every single Honorspren was in an bond of the third oath or more, so itappears that they died like the rest. I'm guessing they can't manifest in the physical realm as a Shardblade, although I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, I mostly agree with you. The improbability of all spren being on a sufficiently advanced bond to manifest as a Shardblade is the main fuel for my questions.

Are those dead spren Deadeyes? I don't think it would make sense for them to become dead shardblades, but I don't think we have been told one way or the other. So, how do they appear in Shadesmar?, because when other spren talked about Deadeyes in OB and RoW it seemed to me like all manifested in the PR as Shardblades.

On 4/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, Shardsplinter said:

Short answer - we don't know. It has not been explained, if there is a difference, what that difference would be. . .

A lot of discussion on this is happeneing the This Thread (RoW Spoilers).