Shardcast: The Sibling and Urithiru

This time on Shardcast, we are going to discuss one of the mysterious aspects of Oathbringer: the Sibling, and its relationship to Urithiru. We're also talking about the Dawncities and more--surprisingly, the Horneater Peaks too. And, as Ian says: "Caves? Kind of a bummer."

This week we have Eric (Chaos), Ian (WeiryWriter), and joining us on Shardcast for the first time is Evgeni (Argent). My sincerest apologies about the audio; there were some exceptionally bizarre issues that occurred in editing.

I've also heard that Shardcast is now on iTunes and Google Play Music. Let me know if something doesn't work out.

User Feedback

32 minutes ago, Argent said:

All y'all better like me or I'll cry.

I don't like you

53 minutes ago, Overlord Jebus said:

I don't like you

*cries*

Dlyol

Posted

On Dalinar saying he hadn't seen a Dawncity, he says that immediately before he has his vision of Nohadon which is set in Kholinar so while it may have been right at the time but (if we assume Kholinar is one) it was pretty immediately invalidated

Link to comment

I have finished listening yet, but it suddenly occurred to me that the Dustbringer epigraphs might have a sinister meaning.

"Good night, dear Urithuru. Good night, sweet Sibling, Good night, Radiants."

Now, when do people usually say good night? It could be when you yourself or going to bed. Or, it is a parent saying good night to their child as they put them to bed. Could it be that this Dustbringer is playing an instrumental role in putting Urithuru, the Sibling, and the Radiants to sleep?

So anyway, yes, it could be a sweet, sad saying, or it could be the sing-song cadence of a psychopath about to do something terrible. It's hard to tell without context.

Jofwu

Posted

13 hours ago, Dlyol said:

Yeah, I tend to think modern Rosharans have a pretty good idea of which cities are "Dawncities". They might be wrong about some of them; some cities that they consider Dawncities might not have actually been singer cities prior to the humans arrival. But that's beside the point. I think Dalinar knows which cities are considered Dawncities, and is saying that he simply hasn't seen any of them.

He has seen Kholinar, of course, but he just doesn't remember it. (at the time of the quote) It's possible that he's seen another and doesn't remember. Most likely, I think we can assume he simply hasn't seen any others.

Darontal

Posted (edited)

Stormfather= air.

Nightwatcher= land

sibling= water?  Ie horneater peak lakes

Edited by Darontal

3 hours ago, Darontal said:

What’s up w ian’s voice this week

I did have to use the Skype audio to edit this one, so both Evgeni and Ian sound less good than they normally would.

ok @Darontal,

I think the water one might be in the horneater peaks, because Rock mentions that anyone who swims in the emerald lakes (I think that's what they're called?) can see spren.

Link to comment

Stormfather is the Spren of Honor, Nightwatcher the spren of cultivation, the sibling could either be the ancient spren of Adonalsium, or the spren of the planet/continent/land itself. Neither would have a gender.

8 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

The problem with this theory - which has been popular at times - is that there is no more "Adonalsium Investiture." At the time of the Shattering, all Investiture in the universe became associated with one of the newly formed Shards. So if the Sibling existed back then, their composition would've changed somehow.

thejopen27

Posted

Yes, but the Sibling could still be the leftover "godspren" of Adonalsium. It's not my favorite theory, but it's a possibility. My favorite is that the Sibling is the spren of the land, or the Spren of Roshar.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:45 PM, Argent said:

2 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

Yeah, that's kind of where I stand on this.

dklee10

Posted

I know this thread is a bit old, and I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but I'm just now listening to this episode, and I had a thought:

The Sibling is "slumbering", and the Stormfather said "You hurt them enough".  I don't have access to a copy of the book right now to confirm this, but I believe I remember it being mentioned at one point that there was only one bondsmith instead of the usual 3.  If there was only one bondsmith at the time of the Recreance, and they were bonded to the Sibling, then I wonder if the breaking of that bond is what caused the Siblings "slumbering".  And the Stormfather and Nightwatcher weren't similarly affected because they weren't bonded at the time of the Recreance.

Admitted, this doesn't take into account the Siblings withdrawal or the failure of Urithiru, and I might be completely off with the one-bondsmith-thing, but it's a thought I had.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.