Odium free at the end of Stormlight

red032

2 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

1. Odium frees himself, kills Cultivation and leaves Roshar. Rayse has no interest in the humans; he wants to take out Shards. I believe that SA could contain a quick explanation of what a Shard is, and let every reader be aware of the fact that Odiums goal is to kill them all. In order to make this plot cooler, Cultivation could be unwilling to sacrifice herself for Roshar, leading to one of the Radiants having to kill her, ascend, and sacrifice him/herself in order to have Odium leave.

This again alienates readers by make the story feel like a footnote in something bigger, so while cool for the Cosmere aware, becomes either unsatisfactory, or feels like manipulation by Brandon to get people to read his other books. 

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

2. Rayse dies, and someone else picks up Odium and leaves with the Shard in order to destroy it/ go as far away as possible before being consumed by the hatred of the Shard.

This one I could see being pulled off. It wouldn't require any explanation of what the Shard is, just that the power can't be destroyed (by their knowledge) and has to be dealt with. 

5 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

3. Odium is splintered. Most likely in my opinion, and as pointed out by @hwiles, it would be a conclusion we have not seen before. 

Agreed. 

6 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

4. Hoid does something wierd to Odium which fits his own agenda, and also solves the problems on Roshar.

Same problems as option 1

@Calderis Didn't see that you had already begun explaining before I posted. Have an upvote for speed lol.

@teknopathetic what you're saying is possible I'll grant you. I'm resistant to it because the "winning by the skin of their teeth" thing seems to me to be almost as cliche as the "deus ex machina last chapter reveal" thing. I'd like to see something between

Spoilers for WoT and Mistborn:

Spoiler

a WoT 15 book struggle where the end goal and methods are almost always in sight, and a mistborn-style last second, bad-guy is inexplicably killed before the last 1% of humanity can finish burning to death. Maybe I'm projecting this a little in my predictions.

I've reread your posts and there's more I agree with than disagree with. Can you clarify which vision you're predicting reveals the end of the series? I'd like to reread it before I weigh in any further.

Edit: added spoiler tag just in case

Edited by hwiles

7 minutes ago, hwiles said:

I've reread your posts and there's more I agree with than disagree with. Can you clarify which vision you're predicting reveals the end of the series? I'd like to reread it before I weigh in any further.

He's basing it off of the Vision Dalinar gets that is the only "future" vision from Honor. 

Where the world falls away and the stars begin to wink out. 

It's intended to show the consequences of failure. This vision is precisely why I think it can't end this way. Telling the reader, in the very first book, "here's the worst that can possibly happen" and then going through 10 books to get to that point just tells the reader they should have stopped after book 1.

Sure, here is the vision I have been talking about.

TWoK Chapter 75: In the Top Room

Kholin Crest.svg
Dalinar's Final Vision Spoiler for The Way of Kings
Spoiler

During the next highstorm after Sadeas's betrayal, in one of Dalinar's visions, he finds himself in a white rocky landscape with smokey figures rising around him. The voice again tells Dalinar to "... unite them." Dalinar then demands to know why the voice lied to him with regards to trusting Sadeas. But instead of answering, the voice appears in human form and continues exhorting Dalinar to prepare for the Everstorm, showing him a wall of darkness approaching a ruined Kholinar. Dalinar continues to ask questions and demand answers but soon realizes that the voice cannot hear him and never could. The voice continues telling Dalinar that this vision is a glimpse into the future born of his fears. Dalinar then sees that the wall of darkness is a wall of dust and as it passes by, the ground falls away leaving the land and where Kholinar was an empty void. Only the space where Dalinar stands remains. The voice tells Dalinar that someone must lead, unite and protect the people. He then commands Dalinar to rebuild the Knights Radiant, explaining that unity will be key in facing The True Desolation. The voice then ends by proclaiming that he was God (the Almighty) and that he is now dead after being killed by Odium.

So Dalinar get's a vision of the future that Honor thinks is likely to occur, but not a sure thing at all.

Roshar could be destroyed in so many negative or positive ways. Odium is trapped in the system; a very odd system with 10 gas giants (coincidence) and more than one inhabited/inhabitable planet. This system is strange. 

Cultivation as an ideal is all about destroying in order to gain. Roshar being destroyed doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing if the readers are given ways for the Rosharan people to survive (maybe Ashyn? The Halls? Nathalis? Shadesmaar?).

Cultivation is a shard totally able to plan something like that. I think Roshar will go, but in a way we aren't predicting. How honorable such a move is debatable, but in the words of Kaladin, honour is dead. I think we should think about what Cultivation is planning and focus less on how honorific would react. 

Edited by teknopathetic

Thanks!  On rereading, there are some really odd things going on in this vision.  I'll excerpt and analyze the parts I thought were significant under spoiler tags for length:

Spoiler

Dalinar begins the vision in a weird shadowy place and is met by a figure composed of smoke.  The figure appears in "uniform."  Given Dalinar's understanding of the word uniform, I can only assume this means military uniform, like an officer or general.  The vision changes abruptly after only a few words from the mysterious figure. (Emphasis Mine)

Spoiler

Beside him appeared the figure of a man in uniform, silent and vaporous, rising lethargically toward the sky, mouth open. The shapes melted and distorted as they climbed higher, though they seemed to hold their forms longer than they should. It was unnerving, standing on the eternal plain, pure darkness above, smoke figures rising all around.
It wasn’t like any vision he’d seen before. It was…
No, wait. He frowned, stepping back as the figure of a tree burst from the ground close to him. I have seen this place before. In the first of my visions, so many months ago. It was fuzzy in his mind. He’d been disoriented, the vision vague, as if his mind hadn’t learned to accept what it was seeing. In fact, the only thing he remembered distinctly was—
“You must unite them,” a strong voice boomed.
—was the voice. Speaking to him from all around, causing the smoke figures to fuzz and distort.
“Why did you lie to me?” Dalinar demanded of the open darkness. “I did what you said, and I was betrayed!”
“Unite them. The sun approaches the horizon. The Everstorm comes. The True Desolation. The Night of Sorrows.”
“I need answers!” Dalinar said. “I don’t trust you any longer. If you want me to listen to you, you’ll need to—”
The vision changed. He spun about, finding that he was still on an open plain of rock, but the normal sun was in the sky.

Dalinar wanders around the empty plain for a while and reaches a plateau overlooking a destroyed Kholinar; he notes that there are no bodies on the ground, just shattered stone.  He is then greeted by Tanavast, a man who's description strikes me as very different than the first person who greeted him.  (Emphasis Mine)

Spoiler

“I cannot fight him any longer,” the voice said.
Dalinar jumped, glancing to the side. A man stood there. He had dark skin and pure white hair. Tall, thick of chest but not massive, he wore exotic clothing of a strange cut: loose, billowing trousers and a coat that came down only to his waist. Both seemed made of gold.

Tanavast engages Dalinar in conversation, as is his way, explaining that this is a possible vision of the future.  A future that "he" (presumably Odium) wishes to make a reality.  He notes that the first time he saw this vision, it ended here with a wall of dust approaching Kholinar.  The implication seems to be that if Odium destroys Roshar, he'll be free to do what he wants, presumably leave Greater Roshar.

Spoiler

That is what could happen,” the figure said, nodding into the distance. “It’s what I fear will happen. It’s what he wants. The True Desolation.”

No, that wall in the air wasn’t a highstorm. It wasn’t rain making that enormous shadow, but blowing dust. He remembered this vision in full, now. It had ended here, with him confused, staring out at that oncoming wall of dust. This time, however, the vision continued.

The wall of dust destroys everything and the conversation continues.  Tanavast seems to imply that he wants to protect the other Shards of Adonalsium, presumably by preventing Odium from escaping.

Spoiler

Around it, the land was gone. Kholinar was gone. It had all fallen away into unplumbed darkness below. He felt vertigo, standing on the tiny bit of rock that—impossibly—remained.
“What is this?” Dalinar demanded, though he knew that the being couldn’t hear him.
The figure looked about, sorrowful. “I can’t leave much. Just these few images, given to you. Whoever you are.”
“These visions… they’re like a journal, aren’t they? A history you wrote, a book you left behind, except I don’t read it, I see it.”
The figure looked into the sky. “I don’t even know if anyone will ever see this. I am gone, you see.”
Dalinar didn’t respond. He looked over the sheer pinnacle, down at a void, horrified.
“This isn’t just about you either,” the figure said, raising his hand into the air. A light winked out in the sky, one that Dalinar hadn’t realized was there. Then another winked out as well. The sun seemed to be growing dimmer.
“It’s about all of them,” the figure said. “I should have realized he’d come for me.”

As the first figure did, Tanavast commands Dalinar to unite and lead the radiants. There's some really weird wording here; Tanavast says the Knights must stand again, and follows up by saying that, "men must face them together."  This might be a typo, or Tanavast might be implying that the Knights are supposed to be acting in a way that is...not in mankind's best interest...He always refers to Odium as "Him."  After describing Odium and the Radiants, Tanavast says that mankind must face them together.  The way I'm interpreting this is that the Radiants fighting against Odium is somehow a double-edged sword. (Emphasis Mine)

Spoiler

“I leave this, because there must be something. A hope to discover. A chance that someone will find what to do. Do you wish to fight him?”
“Yes,” Dalinar found himself saying, despite knowing that it didn’t matter. “I don’t know who he is, but if he wants to do this, then I will fight him.”
“Someone must lead them.”
“I will do it,” Dalinar said. The words just came out.
“Someone must unite them.”
“I will do it.”
“Someone must protect them.”
“I will do it!”
The figure was silent for a moment. Then he spoke in a clear, crisp voice. “Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination. Speak again the ancient oaths and return to men the Shards they once bore.” He turned to Dalinar, meeting his eyes. “The Knights Radiant must stand again.”
“I cannot comprehend how that can be done,” Dalinar said softly. “But I will try.”
“Men must face them together,” the figure said, stepping up to Dalinar, placing a hand on his shoulder. “You cannot squabble as in times past. He’s realized that you, given time, will become your own enemies. That he doesn’t need to fight you. Not if he can make you forget, make you turn against one another. Your legends say that you won. But the truth is that we lost. And we are losing.”

Of note is that Tanavast doesn't really say anything about "defeating" Odium...He just instructs Dalinar to rebuild the Radiants and fight.  He mentions that Odium choosing a champion could work out nicely, but doesn't really emphasize or communicate any way of permanently dealing with Odium...

The differences in clothing, appearance, and manner of speaking leads me to believe that the shadowy figure whom Dalinar meets at the beginning of the vision is actually Odium, not Tanavast as he assumes.  The shadowy figure corroborates Tanavast's message that uniting the Radiants is what Dalinar should do, but says nothing about fighting.  I can only assume that Odium has been attempting to corrupt the core message of each vision in some way, possibly by emphasizing uniting the people of Roshar over fighting and trapping Odium.  The whole how and why of this is unclear to me.

My tentative conclusion:  Odium is trying to turn the people of Roshar against each other by encouraging Mr. T (through Moleach), Dalinar (through the stormfather), and probably several other key faction leaders to individually attempt to "unify" the world, leading to widespread strife and civil war, making his invasion easier.  For some reason, destroying Roshar is the easiest way for him to get what he wants, which is, presumably, to recover all of his Investiture (including Gavilar's sphere I guess) and leave the system, and maybe kill Cultivation if he has time.  Tanavast never intended to stop the cycle of desolations, since, as long as mankind can hold out against the cycle, Odium can't leave, which is important to Tanavast.  This conclusion has serious implications for the cause of the Recreance, but I'll leave that to a separate thread if I find the time.

Personal opinion, I don't think we will see both splintering a Shard and reforming a splintered Shard in the same series. The "What's stopping some bad dude from rebuilding Odium like they did to Honor?" question might detract too much from the ending. Which of the two do you think we are more likely to see in SA?

To throw out a third(or at this point, seventh) option, how about we end the Stormlight Archive with no surviving Shards? Haven't had the gods end up killing each other off in centuries, and so long as some of humanity survives, the casual reader gets their "happy" ending.

• We've suspected the future of Roshar will be Fabrial-Tech anyway, which should still be powered by the Highstorms.
  • Surgebinding currently functions with Honor dead, so him staying dead shouldn't mess with too much.
  • Brandon can do all manner of things with Cultivation's power permeating the world. Possibly get an answer about why Shinovar is the way it is in the process.
  • Odium's power could end up affecting Roshar or Braize, even some of the Unmade might still be around(The Thrill isn't all bad).

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

He's basing it off of the Vision Dalinar gets that is the only "future" vision from Honor. 

Where the world falls away and the stars begin to wink out. 

It's intended to show the consequences of failure. This vision is precisely why I think it can't end this way. Telling the reader, in the very first book, "here's the worst that can possibly happen" and then going through 10 books to get to that point just tells the reader they should have stopped after book 1.

I narratively agree. Call it simple, but I think this is the end of book 5

"Two blind men waited at the end of an era, contemplating beauty. They sat atop the world's highest cliff, overlooking the land and seeing nothing."

1 minute ago, ANRILU said:

If Roshar is destroyed how would knights radiants be able to utilize their surges?

All they'd be good for is shardplate and shardblades correct? 

If Roshar is destroyed, I believe that the magic system would go with it. 

Even if the Spren survived, which I doubt, there'd be no more Stormlight. 

So the remnants of Roshar's magic would be the dead blades, and possibly some Shardplate that couldn't be regrown. 

7 minutes ago, The Flash said:

May I note that we were also promised a surgebinder/allomancer space battle at some point in the future? I think that one is on theoryland. So the magic system should survive. 

mcalton2

Can we expect to see a fight between a Windrunner, an Awakener, and an Allomancer in one of the Stormlight books?

Brandon Sanderson

I've said before that it's unlikely that the Stormlight books will ever delve strongly into the connections between worlds. There will be some cool things happening for the cosmere-literate, but this series isn't focused on those concepts. I want it to maintain its plot cohesion for those who aren't aware of all of the behind-the-scenes stories. Epilogue to Book Two should excite you, though.

Source.

mcalton2

Can we expect to see a fight between a Windrunner, an Awakener, and an Allomancer in one of the Stormlight books?

Brandon Sanderson

I've said before that it's unlikely that the Stormlight books will ever delve strongly into the connections between worlds. There will be some cool things happening for the cosmere-literate, but this series isn't focused on those concepts. I want it to maintain its plot cohesion for those who aren't aware of all of the behind-the-scenes stories. Epilogue to Book Two should excite you, though.

This makes it seem like Roshar won't delve into other worlds, but the novels  already has delved into this topic more than anything else in the series. I. can't imagine Jasnah learning nothing about other worlds, or a certain Warbreaker man never talking about a certain sword and its origin, or Hoid not giving us information about Shards and magics from his POVs,  or the series never explaining where the humans came from re: the tranq halls. These are all questions that are self contained within the Stormlight Achieve, and once any of these questions haves been answered then the reader wouldn't need to read outside books to understand these concepts. All the reader needs to know is that fleeing is an option and that the death of Roshar isn't the death of the series - hell, even running to Braize or Ashyn or The Halls is a self-contained option post the death of Roshar.  

Edited by teknopathetic

Ahh the one im looking for isnt about a crossover in the Stormlight series, its about a crossover in the Mistborn era 4 series. I KNOW that I've seen it somewhere. But I just looked through pagerunners compilation and theory land, and I cant find it. But somewhere I swear he said that we would see in era 4 a battle between an allomancer and a surgebinder. 

52 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

This makes it seem like Roshar won't delve into other worlds, but the novels  already has delved into this topic more than anything else in the series. I. can't imagine Jasnah learning nothing about other worlds, or a certain Warbreaker man never talking about a certain sword and its origin, or Hoid not giving us information about Shards and magics from his POVs,  or the series never explaining where the humans came from re: the tranq halls. These are all questions that are self contained within the Stormlight Achieve, and once any of these questions haves been answered then the reader wouldn't need to read outside books to understand these concepts. All the reader needs to know is that fleeing is an option and that the death of Roshar isn't the death of the series - hell, even running to Braize or Ashyn or The Halls is a self-contained option post the death of Roshar.  

Except it really hasn't. Hoid is present, and has made comments that, without Cosmere knowledge just make him seem odd and mysterious. 

Spren are bound to Roshar, so it's perfectly reasonable that Jasnah learns only about Roshar. 

If you haven't read Warbreaker, Zahel is a weird, grumpy, obviously foreign Ardent. 

The Tranquiline halls and the Long trail are religious beliefs that require nothing more. 

The only thing that raises any questions whatsoever is Nightblood. And to a casual, non cosmere aware reader, a talking Shardblade that feeds on Stormlight isn't a huge oddity in a world that already has three other types of magic swords. 

Self contained doesn't mean nothing is left unanswered and open ended. Zahels back story just won't ever be discussed in detail. Nightblood will probably be explained as a unique Godspren, loyal to the skybreakers but too young to have much knowledge of the Radiants. The members of the 17th shard and Hoid will be left virtually unexplored, just like in every single other Cosmere book...

People often get hung up on the idea that the books overlap; but the truth is, the overlap is actually a separate story which only becomes clear once you've assembled all the separate pieces. If you analyze any individual subsection of the Cosmere, it is, in and of itself, a complete and satisfying whole. All stories have holes and mysteries left unexplained; tying more books in will never change that; just ask Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire...lol.

44 minutes ago, The Flash said:

Ahh the one im looking for isnt about a crossover in the Stormlight series, its about a crossover in the Mistborn era 4 series. I KNOW that I've seen it somewhere. But I just looked through pagerunners compilation and theory land, and I cant find it. But somewhere I swear he said that we would see in era 4 a battle between an allomancer and a surgebinder. 

Hmm I consider myself pretty good at finding WoBs, and I've searched for everything I can think of for this, but no confirmation. There's been very general confirmation that Cosmere worlds colliding will be in Mistborn era 4, and not before that, but the closest I could find to what you're suggesting is this

Question

When do we get to see a Radiant and a Mistborn go at it?

Brandon Sanderson

It's gonna be a while. It is gonna be a while. Unless—yeah.

You may be conflating in your own mind that one with the general noise around magic systems clashing in era 4? Of course I'm not perfect at WoB hunting though, I'm not Weiry or Pagerunner, so you may yet be right!

As a general response to the discussion going on, I think Brandon's been reasonably clear that Stormlight is supposed to be capable of being standalone, with hints of the Cosmere. There's no way, I think, that a battle of interplanetary magics can go on in that context. Era 4 is where it's supposed to come to a head. Possibly other series. But not Stormlight. But of course, for Cosmere watchers there'll be heaps of epic hints that show us what is going on in the Cosmere during those years. Era 4 will have Scadrians and Aimians at the very minimum so we know things will go down then...

Edited by Extesian

Too much for me to write it all tonight, but I wanted to throw in my tidbits:

1. I think Rayse needs to die. As a Cosmere antagonists, he can't grow any bigger, since he refuses to take up other shards, and his plan of taking out all of the other shards isn't going to happen now that Harmony exists. So, Rayse is doomed to die. When is the only question. And I think that SA is the best option. He is already a part of the story, and it's a glorious setup to kill him off. 

2. If Roshar is going to be destroyed, there needs to be a gap between the moment when it becomes inevitable and the moment when the planet finally blows up. Maybe at the end of book 5 Rayse is dead, and Roshar is slowly dying. Maybe whoever took up Odium is even worse than Rayse and set something in motion to destroy Roshar? I think it's unlikely, but possible. Then the next 5 SA books would be how they survive. Might work, but I feel like it's too jury rigged.

3. I think that the current issue (the desolations and voidbringers/listeners) will be resolved, one way or another by the end of book 5. I think that 6-10 will deal with the originators of the Desolation more than the Listeners themselves. So, dealing with the Unmade and Odium (whoever his shardholder might be). I just feel like the threat level of a 10 book epic needs to go up throughout the series, and it's hard to bring the scale up from what the Desolations threaten us with. (Who knows, maybe the results of the SA will include the "cataclysm" on Ashyn that forces them into the flying cities.)

43 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Hmm I consider myself pretty good at finding WoBs, and I've searched for everything I can think of for this, but no confirmation. There's been very general confirmation that Cosmere worlds colliding will be in Mistborn era 4, and not before that, but the closest I could find to what you're suggesting is this

You may be conflating in your own mind that one with the general noise around magic systems clashing in era 4? Of course I'm not perfect at WoB hunting though, I'm not Weiry or Pagerunner, so you may yet be right!

As a general response to the discussion going on, I think Brandon's been reasonably clear that Stormlight is supposed to be capable of being standalone, with hints of the Cosmere. There's no way, I think, that a battle of interplanetary magics can go on in that context. Era 4 is where it's supposed to come to a head. Possibly other series. But not Stormlight. But of course, for Cosmere watchers there'll be heaps of epic hints that show us what is going on in the Cosmere during those years. Era 4 will have Scadrians and Aimians at the very minimum so we know things will go down then...

That... might be it... it implies there will be one at some point. But it wasn't what I remembered. And if it were to occur, it would occur in era 4. Not Stormlight. Probably the only major allomancer we'll see in this series is Hoid lol. 

1 minute ago, The Flash said:

That... might be it... it implies there will be one at some point. But it wasn't what I remembered. And if it were to occur, it would occur in era 4. Not Stormlight. Probably the only major allomancer we'll see in this series is Hoid lol. 

Yeah, and as loud and attention grabbing as he is verbally, he's pretty consistently subtle with his magic use. 

I don't think we'll see him shooting metal, or using steel and iron to "fly." 

He'll stick to emotional Allomancy in ways that we won't notice. Or tin and pewter. 

Just now, Calderis said:

Yeah, and as loud and attention grabbing as he is verbally, he's pretty consistently subtle with his magic use. 

I don't think we'll see him shooting metal, or using steel and iron to "fly." 

He'll stick to emotional Allomancy in ways that we won't notice. Or tin and pewter. 

Yeah so maybe this is a good time to bring up something I've been wondering. If someone had lerasium, why in the world wouldn't they want to become a full Mistborn? Why would they ever alloy it with another metal? Far better to get them all. But if anyone were to alloy it, I bet it would be Hoid. 

2 minutes ago, The Flash said:

Yeah so maybe this is a good time to bring up something I've been wondering. If someone had lerasium, why in the world wouldn't they want to become a full Mistborn? Why would they ever alloy it with another metal? Far better to get them all. But if anyone were to alloy it, I bet it would be Hoid. 

The only reason I could see to do it at all, would try to be even stronger in a couple metals than a lerasium Mistborn and skip some powers. 

I feel like there's got to be diminishing returns though and going above Lerasium level is harder and harder until you accidentally ascend. 

So I mean, if you just wanted to be like... Lord Ruler level Soother, alloy a whole bead with brass and get the strength of all 16 metals focused on the one ability... 

I'd still rather be Mistborn. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The only reason I could see to do it at all, would try to be even stronger in a couple metals than a lerasium Mistborn and skip some powers. 

I feel like there's got to be diminishing returns though and going above Lerasium level is harder and harder until you accidentally ascend. 

So I mean, if you just wanted to be like... Lord Ruler level Soother, alloy a whole bead with brass and get the strength of all 16 metals focused on the one ability... 

I'd still rather be Mistborn. 

Well, Gold and Electrium are pretty useless if you aren't a Forger and Atium is no longer a thing. Aluminum is another one. I could also see Hoid giving up Chromium and Nicrosil. Unless those two metals apply to investiture in general, or he intends to work with allomancers a lot, then it would make sense to give those up for a double dose of a couple others. And I could see Hoid boosting the 4 mental metals, as well as tin.

22 minutes ago, The Flash said:

For feruchemical or hemalurgical purposes, that's the only sensible option. It could be to save some to make someone else a misting later as well, but that's less likely

I think it will be destroyed but the inhabitants will be transported elsewhere.  Ym says , "Eventually, all will be gathered back in—when the Seventh Land is attained" and right now they are in the 4th land. I like to think his story had something to it!

Edited by gokucauthon