Devotion, Dominion, and Magic on Sel

KChan

That has got to be one of the best things I have ever seen. And also a huge compliment. :D So thank you, High Anti-Theorist, for your words of praise! It really means a lot to me that it interested a non-theory person enough to keep reading, and also that you went to all the trouble to make that awesome stamp. I enjoy seeing it there in its place of honor in the thread.

Also, it totally needs to be an award when we get the award system back.

This. All of this. I have no words.

This thread is made of win. This also neatly ties in with Dominion and Devotion being shattered and mixed together, as the interplay of the intents directly influences the magic system(s).

Edit: Unrelated, but Shiv, are you by any chance a WH:40K fan? :P

Edited by Senor Feesh

Thanks, guys! I'm really glad you like it. :D

As for something similar happening on Roshar, I'm not certain that it would. Remember, the key elements here are the Shards Devotion and Dominion, which are the core reason behind this theory in the first place. Honor and Cultivation? I don't think that their Intents really line up with a magic system that aligns itself along regional borders.

Ah. I must have misread you then. Anyways, there's a quote somewhere that states that some spren are of Cultivation, some are of Honor, and some are of both. And Brandon just said in a recent q&a that spren function as sort of a release valve for all of the energy that would otherwise be building up from having a Shard sitting around that no one is currently holding, which is actually what the Seons and Skaze are doing on Sel. There seem to be a lot of parallels lining up here between the two worlds and how they're acting. So if we're talking about mingling, I think the idea has potential.

Edited by KChan

Ah. I must have misread you then. Anyways, there's a quote somewhere that states that some spren are of Cultivation, some are of Honor, and some are of both. And Brandon just said in a recent q&a that spren function as sort of a release valve for all of the energy that would otherwise be building up from having a Shard sitting around that no one is currently holding. So if we're talking about mingling, I think the idea has potential.

Just rereading my first post I don't think I made very clear what I meant.

Interesting info about the spren though. I vaguely remember hearing about it from somewhere but forgot about it. The Sanderson q&a is also extremely informative for building a theory.

It really is. Also, way to go me, writing about spren and then not writing the rest of where I was going with that thought. Champion theorywork, that. :P Anyways, I fixed it now, so you can actually read what I was getting at.

Check this quote about Seons from a Q&A. 

Mi’chelle: I know that you’ve answered this before, but we don’t have citation yet. Was the earthquake caused by Odium’s visit to Elantris? You’ve answered that one before, I believe.

I don’t know if I have. I think I’ve given implications without a strict, direct answer on that one.

Mi’chelle: And what are the implications, so I can know if I’m thinking of the right answer?

What do you think I’ve said?

Mi’chelle: I think you’ve said, no it isn’t.

The Seons existed before the earthquake.

Mi’chelle: But was the earthquake caused by Odium?

When Odium visited there were no Seons. 

Josh: Okay.

Mi’chelle: But that doesn’t answer the question about the earthquake, so that’s interesting to note.

See what I’m saying?

Found here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

This is a very confusing quote, and very Aes Sedai. For Brandon, there is a connection between Seons, Odium, Earthquakes, and Splintering. Since the Seons were around before the Odium came, I'm thinking the two shards merged before Odium came as well, but it's hard to know. 

Correlating to Roshar is also interesting. My very unorthodox views on this aside, there seems to be some type of mingling of the energies happening on both Planets, and this could be explained by the the Shards merging either before or because of the Shattering.

Since the Seons were around before the Odium came,

I think you're misreading the quote.

The Seons existed before the earthquake.

and

When Odium visited there were no Seons. 

To me, this says the order of events was

Odium visits Sel, shattering Devotion and Dominon --->  The Seons are created --->  The Earthquake reshapes Arelon, temporarily making Aons non-functional, until the events of Elantris.

Actually, from that quote, the order of events seems pretty clear:

1. No Seons, no Odium.
  2. Odium shows up.
  3. Seons appear.
  4. (Odium leaves maybe? We don't know)
  5. The earthquake that caused the Reod

So the Shards were Splintered (not Shattered, Splintered - yes there is a difference) before the earthquake, and there's another quote somewhere that states that the magic on Sel worked slightly differently afterward. This seems to me to be a correlation between the Splintering, and the mingling of Shards. There has been no evidence to support the merging of whole Shards without a Shardholder to focus their powers and use them together (IE: what happened with Harmony). However, Splinters, being smaller fragments, would in theory mingle more easily. Chaos talked about this during Shardkeepers, so you can hear more then.

That said, I'm of the mindset that Devotion and Dominion powered Selish magic together even before they Splintered. However, I see no reason why the potential intermingling of Splinters has to be ruled out here. If it happened, I would think that it just caused the magic to become even more regionalized than it already was.

Aaaaand I was ninja'd.  +1 to Mr. Feesh ;)

Haha thanks KChan :) I can't believe I wrote shattered instead of Splintered, I'm usually so anal about terminology...

Also, I wasn't aware that magic worked differently post-splintering. Whilst I agree we don't have enough evidence to rule out Dominion and Devotion creating a merged magic system pre-splintering, my gut wants me to believe that the magic was region-free before.

But then, if that was the case, the forms of the Aons (and the base MaiPon form of Soulstamps) are hard to account for... so my guts are probably wrong :P

What we speculated on Shardcast is that the magics were still region-based, but that perhaps the penalties for using magic outside its particular region weren't quite so severe. So Aons would be more effective farther from Elantris than they are now, etc. This is pure speculation on our part, but we think it's pretty logical. Given the name Dominion and the base form of the different magics, it seems that the magics were always at least somewhat region-based.

It seems to me that while genetically the way you access the Dor is region locked, Aons are the only source of magic that is limited by distance to that specific region.  Am I missing something here?

Forging wouldn't work outside MaiPon, IIRC. Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

I think you're misreading the quote. To me, this says the order of events was Odium visits Sel, shattering Devotion and Dominon --->  The Seons are created --->  The Earthquake reshapes Arelon, temporarily making Aons non-functional, until the events of Elantris.

I totally missed that interpretation, and it's fully consistent with the quote.

I thought it meant the Seons existed before Odium came, when He came he disrupted the Seons, then after he left they came back into form. This interpretation implies the earthquake was related the loss of Seons during Odium's visit. 

Both seem to work to explain the quote, and I'll be interested to learn more. Seems more linearly consistent the way you and KChan are reading it. 

This theory is great. I wrote a theory on Devotion and Dominion's convergence into the Dor here that references this idea a lot.

What we speculated on Shardcast is that the magics were still region-based, but that perhaps the penalties for using magic outside its particular region weren't quite so severe. So Aons would be more effective farther from Elantris than they are now, etc. This is pure speculation on our part, but we think it's pretty logical. Given the name Dominion and the base form of the different magics, it seems that the magics were always at least somewhat region-based.

I personally maintain believe that Selish magics were not regionalized prior to Devotion and Dominion's Splintering, and that magic interactions would operate more like Scadrial, with only three magic systems, I think. My theory above explains why I think the Splintering would cause the change to regionalized magic (which is this theory's primary domain). But it isn't exactly important theoretically for either of our stuff; both are possible. It's impossible to say at this point.

Forging wouldn't work outside MaiPon, IIRC.

This is not true, I think you read something incorrectly somewhere. Forgery's power does diminish with distance, but obviously the Imperial Seat is not in MaiPon.

Additionally, Dakhor monks aren't exactly pushovers in Teod.

Aons work for those who can use them everywhere. They work stronger near Elantris because Elantris is a focus/ amplifier for AonDor.

Regionality applies to WHO can use a magic, not where it can be used.

At least, that's how I understand it all.

That was what we thought the case was until recently, but Brandon confirmed that Forgeries would be less effective the further you are from MaiPon. So I think it's not unreasonable to believe they all get weaker the further you get from your native land.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm working through my backlog of "I should really read these theories" threads. I have to say that I like this theory quite a lot.

So far as the distance question goes, there is a certain point where things just stop working. We have this quote:

Me: Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?
BS: That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.
Me: So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?
BS: That's correct.
Me: Could soulstamps be carved that used Arelon as a base form instead of MaiPon?
BS: That's very interesting, isn't it?

The first answer could be saying either that stamps grow prohibitively weak or that they stop working altogether, while the second is more definitive, at least at interstellar distances. Given that the second question/answer was framed as a clarification, I'm tempted to think that Forgeries just flat-out wouldn't work in Elantris.

The last "that's very interesting, isn't it?" is disturbing to me in regards to KChan's theory, actually. I've been taking this as a de-facto "yes" for awhile now, but such an answer might undermine both KChan's theory. As a way to get around this (other than simply dismissing my assumption that Brandon was sneakily saying "yes"), I would suggest a slight alteration to KChan's theory.

How about 2 levels of magic for each "Dominion"? On the one hand, you have the manifestation of this singular "magic" as a multitude of systems, each unique to a region: Bloodsealing, Forgery, AonDor, etc. This part is locked down by Identity, as the OP posits.

On the other hand, though, you have a second consideration: where the raw power is coming from. A Forger can never practice AonDor, then, but they could use Aon Aon as their "setting stamp" and draw their power from Arelon. That power manifests as Forgery because of the Dominion that determined the Identity of the user it's being filtered through, but needn't be dragged all the way from poor MaiPon first. This is somewhat in line with my original "region-locking" thread.

As a side note, I'm curious as to how you explain citizens of the Rose Empire being able to use Forgery, if its base (and thus the Identity of its users) seems to be based in MaiPon. Could Forgery be a multi-region magic?

[...]There has been no evidence to support the merging of whole Shards without a Shardholder to focus their powers and use them together (IE: what happened with Harmony). However, Splinters, being smaller fragments, would in theory mingle more easily. Chaos talked about this during Shardkeepers, so you can hear more then.

That said, I'm of the mindset that Devotion and Dominion powered Selish magic together even before they Splintered. However, I see no reason why the potential intermingling of Splinters has to be ruled out here. If it happened, I would think that it just caused the magic to become even more regionalized than it already was.

Aaaaand I was ninja'd.  +1 to Mr. Feesh ;)

Incidentally, I also think the two D's probably cooperated and/or pooled their power before Odium came. Ruin and Preservation were capable of working together as (essentially) one power, they just "hated" each other.

Edited by Kurkistan