About Marsh...

Stormfather

He didn't ask Spook. So unless Kelsier specifically asked, "please heal spook whether or not he wants it" Sazed didn't seem to be asking.

This is an excellent question i am shocked and embarrassed i never asked myself. is it possible the damage to a spiritweb via Hemalurgy cannot be simply healed?

Before Ruin Puppeted him Marsh and Sazed were friends. It could have just been wanting to keep a friend around that he could talk too. While we know that the afterlife is a thing we do not know much else about it.

On the flip side it could also be future site showing Sazed that he will NEED marsh as a Hemalurgist later...

We know simple Feruchemical gold can heal hemalurgic theft. If anyone could heal someone from being a hemalurgic creation, you'd think Ruin could... Though Ruin prolly not great at healing, on the whole. Maybe Sazed couldn't get both sides working together quick enough, and by the time he could Marsh wanted to stay as he was?

Interesting implications for Shards having a proprietary ability to deal with the fallout of their own arcanum, if this baseless speculation does turn out to be true.

It's possible that in Marsh's (misplaced) guilt after what Ruin forced him to do, he wanted to stay around and help people forever.  Sazed could have removed the spikes and turned him into a fullborn, but maybe Marsh viewed his appearance as part of his penance.  

Another possibility is that Marsh is doing Kelsier's will on Scadrial, and that he needs his powers.  If Sazed were to cure Marsh, maybe he wanted to restore Marsh to how he was before the hemalurgy.  Marsh wanted to keep his power, and Sazed's beliefs didn't allow him to change Marsh if Marsh didn't want to be changed.  

Great question, though!  I think that this would be a good one to ask Brandon.  

Sazed was able to heal Spook, so I'd think Marsh could be healed, but it's entirely possible that Inquisitors are like a house of cards with their spikes and that it would hard to impossible to remove them without killing Marsh. I'm not satisfied with that explanation, though, and no explanation really comes across as likely to me.

Marsh is in constant pain due to his spikes, so it seems a bit cruel to leave him that way by Sazed. I could see Sazed not wanting to make Marsh a second Lord Ruler and Marsh wanting to keep his Allomancy and Feruchemy, though. Hm.

Edited by Moogle

Sazed was able to heal Spook, so I'd think Marsh could be healed, but it's entirely possible that Inquisitors are like a house of cards with their spikes and that it would hard to impossible to remove them without killing Marsh. I'm not satisfied with that explanation, though, and no explanation really comes across as likely to me.

Marsh is in constant pain due to his spikes, so it seems a bit cruel to leave him that way by Sazed. I could see Sazed not wanting to make Marsh a second Lord Ruler and Marsh wanting to keep his Allomancy and Feruchemy, though. Hm.

About Marsh possibly dying if he were healed, it has been alluded to that Sazed can bring back the dead, so I don't think him dying would be that big of an issue.

Also, I am so excited that we may get to read something from Marsh's perspective (the book he gave Marasi).

Well, I just finished the trilogy and AOL myself, and by the end of HOA Sazed seems to need some experimenting going on to get bringing back the dead done right. He was just figuring out that putting the body back together doesn't automatically work, though it seems he assumes he probably could if he can pinpoint the method. Problem with being nearly omnipotent without omniscience is that even though you can basically do anything you have no idea how to actually go about doing it. It's not like there's an instruction manual laying around for resurrecting dead people, moving mountains, or altering planetary orbits.

Though it's been 300 years. Maybe he's got it down by now. But that'd be interfering wouldn't it?

Would the healing kill him though?  We have in HoA that the heart changed position in Inquisitors and the brain accommodates the spikes.  So in theory it would be just changing Marsh around to the correct anatomy which we see he can do when he changes all of the other people to be how they should be.  So then it becomes an issue of hemalurgy changing the person.  In HoA Spook and the Citizen have their minor spikes removed and are fine, but Marsh has much larger spikes and about 20 of them.

To me this all boils down to the physical can be healed by Harmony, we have evidence of this.  The spiritual may not be able to be healed though.  Harmony says he can't bring back Vin and Elend's souls, so is he simply not able to heal the spiritual DNA the hemalurgy damages (and Marsh had a ton of damage done)?

I was hoping Brandon's tour would bring him near me, but that is not happening.  Anyone planning to go and want to ask Brandon about this?

So...what do we think Marsh's role is going to be as the stories continue.  Good guy?  Bad guy?  From the scene at the very end of AoL...it seems like he is doing Harmony's bidding...or...at least perusing the same goals.  

Pretty sure he is neutral. 

What makes a good man go neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Is that Zap Brannigan? up vote...

"There's not a restaurant built that I can't fly!  Ah...she's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro."

But I do have to wonder...being that Marsh has spikes (many)...you would think that Harmony would have a direct line into his head.  I know...Harmony kind of sucks at the whole direct manipulation thing...but...just how long can you listen to the disembodied voice in your head before you start taking it's advice.  (God said, "Kill him!"...and I totally listened the first time!)

Edited by hoidhunter

There's a girl; we tried dating in college, and it failed miserably, so we simply became very good friends. She recently got engaged; she's also a huge fan of Zap Brannigan. So on that day while everyone else was posting "Congratulations!" to her Facewall, I posted, "Our love has had to endure your constant hatred, and now this!?!?"

Or how about-

"But as a gentleman, I must warn you, if you so much as glance at another woman, I'll be on (insert girl's name) like a fly on a pile of very seductive manure. "

I am really curious about Marsh's intentions though.  Since the next book it going to be titles "Shadows of Self" could Marsh be trying to find a way to bring Kelsier back.  Maybe even as a Sliver?

I think that Marsh is more on the Good end of the spectrum than Neutral.  The impression that I got was that he and Harmony were more or less on the same side, it's just that they disagree slightly with the methods.  Harmony wants people to make their own choices, and Marsh wants to take a more active role.  Thing is, Marsh is a people, too, so Harmony lets him do his thing because free will is for everybody.

• 2 years later...