Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

If don't already know, Mistborn has been optioned to become a film. That may still mean a fillm won't happen, but it's a cool first step.

That won't stop us from talking about choices on actors!

I'll start. Personally, I was always a fan of the notion of Nathan Fillion for Kelsier, but then someone brought up Robert Downey Jr., and he might be the perfect choice.

For Vin, I'm also pro-Summer Glau, but there's a big Ellen Page movement on TWG.

Thoughts?

I could see Ellen Page, just because we've seen she's able to play characters that go from uncertain to very sure about themselves. I'd worry that Summer looks too mature - but could totally nail the physical aspects of the roll. I only bring up age because Vin's what, 16-22ish throughout the trilogy? Not that character age has stopped casting before...

All that said, I'm such a fan of no-name actors being brought in for epic movies of epicness. (which this would totally be, just sayin' ;) )

Ellen Page all the way.  I honestly imagined her in my head when I though of Vin throughout the entire series, no one else would make sense for me.  But I do love Summer Glau.  I think Nathan Fillion would be a better Kelsier than RDJ, but that might just be me being a Firefly fanboy.

Indeed, I think Nathan Fillion and RDJ would both do a great job. I don't think it would be difficult at all for Fillion to change his usual persona into something more vengeful. The difficulty with Kelsier is that he's funny, but he's also dangerous. But, I would have no doubt that Fillion could pull it off.

However, I think RDJ could inhabit that personality better.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Nathon Fillion would totally pull off the personality, but he just doesn't look enough like Kelsier to me.

I was kinda against Ellen Page, but then I saw Inception, which was fantastic.  Now I think she'd totally be able to pull it off.  But the things is that her face is too round to match the semi-emaciated look I always pictured for Vin.

I'll start by saying that I love Fillion and the firefly cast. That being said, I do not see many of them being good castings (? not the correct term) especially not fillion. When i first read the books i saw Chrisian Bale as Kel, this has changed. Now i t am unsure who is a good choice. I do think that Dr. Tam from firefly could be a good TLR. but thats just my opinion.

I really like this Summer Glau as Vin idea. She's already proven in Firefly that she can cower in corners really well, and that she can look awesome in a fight.

In other news, when did this thread become "Which Firefly actor would do best in Mistborn?" ;)

The wonders of makeup and modern technology are that you can make an actor/actress look much different in a movie than they really are. The actors who played the hobbits in the LotR movies are actually quite tall, for example. And age is a fairly easy one to deal with. I was an actor in my last year of high school and played a character at least seven years younger than me, it just require a shitton of makeup.

• 2 weeks later...

Ellen Page for Vin.  No joke, all the way.  She is my all time favorite actress, and, as long as she's not thirty by the time the movie comes out, she's almost perfect for the role (although, I admit her cheeks are a tad round).  Summer Glau might be able to pull of competent book three Vin, but I can't see her first book skulking, urchin Vin.  I can see Ellen Page in this role.

• 2 months later...