I necro this thread to share an adorable story about an adorable pug.

We live in an area that's near a lot of wildlife. Most of it is fairly terrifying--snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, that sort of thing--but there are also quite a few wild rabbits, and some mornings, we'll see two or three eating the grass in our yard.

Mollie, our girl pug, is about two years old, and ever since she learned the bunnies existed, she has made it her life's goal to befriend one. She has tried everything. She's walked out quietly and sedately, minding her own business. She's wandered over casually. She's bounded toward them, doing her best imitation of the bouncing way they move. Every time she tries, those skittish little things jump through the fence, leaving poor Mollie sad and confused.

Well, she has quite a few toys, and her favorite is a colorful set of plastic keys. Sometimes, she'll bring a toy over to one of us, just to show us how cool it is. This morning, she stood at the back door, keys in her mouth, asking to be let out so she could share her favorite toy with the three bunnies in the yard.

I necro this thread to share an adorable story about an adorable pug.

We live in an area that's near a lot of wildlife. Most of it is fairly terrifying--snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, that sort of thing--but there are also quite a few wild rabbits, and some mornings, we'll see two or three eating the grass in our yard.

Mollie, our girl pug, is about two years old, and ever since she learned the bunnies existed, she has made it her life's goal to befriend one. She has tried everything. She's walked out quietly and sedately, minding her own business. She's wandered over casually. She's bounded toward them, doing her best imitation of the bouncing way they move. Every time she tries, those skittish little things jump through the fence, leaving poor Mollie sad and confused.

Well, she has quite a few toys, and her favorite is a colorful set of plastic keys. Sometimes, she'll bring a toy over to one of us, just to show us how cool it is. This morning, she stood at the back door, keys in her mouth, asking to be let out so she could share her favorite toy with the three bunnies in the yard.

If this doesn't have a happy ending I'm going to cry.

Side note: Fanfic mode activated. Mollie the pug begins the novel desperately wanting to befriend one of the adorable bunnies. Time and time again she tries, but to no avail. Her human pack-mates understand her dilemma, but can do nothing to help. Mollie continues, however, not allowing herself to be daunted by the untrusting nature of the bunnies and their hopping culture. Finally she comes upon the idea of sharing her favorite toy, possibly even gifting it to one of the bunnies, as a sign of good faith. Eagerly waiting for the humans to use their magical front paws to open the invisible gate, Mollie knows that this just has to work. By this point we're halfway through the novel.

Mollie's toy perplexes the bunnies, and one of them is brave enough, non-conformist enough to give Mollie a chance. I name this bunny Chauncy. Why? Becuase bunnies should be named Chauncy. Mollie and Chauncy hit it off, bounding around the yard day after day. Before long, Mollie and Chauncy are the best of friends, spending all day together, and only parting because, at the end of the day, Chauncy is a bunny, and Mollie is a pug. The other bunnies are skeptical, though, believing that Chauncy is merely being led on by Mollie. Despite Chauncy's friends' beliefs, eventually the relationship hits the point that Mollie, being the loving pug that she no doubt is, gives Chauncy her favorite toy, telling him that they will be best friends until the end of their days.

We then reach the climax of the story, somewhere near the three-quarters mark. Tragedy strikes. Mollie rushes outside one fateful day, yet Chauncy is nowhere to be found. She searches and searches, but cannot find the bunny. That is until she notices a bunny foot beneath a tree (If you didn't have trees, you do now). Rushing over, Mollie finds Chauncy badly wounded, a snake's poisonous bite oozing blood onto Chauncy's fur. Mollie goes to comfort Chauncy, but Chauncy tells her to run as the snake will soon return. Mollie makes the decision to stay and fight, facing her fears of death for Chauncy. The snake returns, and the battle is fierce. Mollie exits victorious, however, with the snake slain. She returns to Chauncy as the bunny takes his final breaths, saying goodbye to his canine friend.

Mollie falls into a mild depression, mourning the loss of her best friend. She spends days lounging by the invisible portal, staring into the blue sky, remembering the cute little bunny. When she does go outside, she wanders the yard aimlessly, fond memories bringing pain. Finally, after about a week, Mollie finds herself lying in the grass trying to recall the scent of Chauncy, but is saddened when she can't. Out of the corner of her eyes, though, she notices a ball of fur watching her. Heart skipping a beat, Mollie jumps to her paws, disbelieving it could be Chauncy. Low and behold, it isn't Chauncy, but one of the other bunnies. As it twitches its nose at her, more bunnies emerge from behind it, their number growing to 20. They begin to approach Mollie, who is still with confusion. The bunnies had always been scared of her, what had changed? They begin to part, allowing a bunny from the back of their group to come forward. As it reaches Mollie, the bunny reveals that it has Mollie's favorite toy. It tells Mollie that Chauncy cherished that toy, and cherished his friendship with her. They saw what Mollie did for Chauncy, in his final moments, choosing to fight rather than to leave the bunny to be eaten. They tell her that she has proven to them that they shouldn't be skeptical of friendship, the strongest bond of all. In the end, Mollie may have lost her dearest friend, but managed to gain 20 new ones.

The end.

Edited by Blaze1616

If this doesn't have a happy ending I'm going to cry.

Side note: Fanfic mode activated. Mollie the pug begins the novel desperately wanting to befriend one of the adorable bunnies. Time and time again she tries, but to no avail. Her human pack-mates understand her dilemma, but can do nothing to help. Mollie continues, however, not allowing herself to be daunted by the untrusting nature of the bunnies and their hopping culture. Finally she comes upon the idea of sharing her favorite toy, possibly even gifting it to one of the bunnies, as a sign of good faith. Eagerly waiting for the humans to use their magical front paws to open the invisible gate, Mollie knows that this just has to work. By this point we're halfway through the novel.

Mollie's toy perplexes the bunnies, and one of them is brave enough, non-conformist enough to give Mollie a chance. I name this bunny Chauncy. Why? Becuase bunnies should be named Chauncy. Mollie and Chauncy hit it off, bounding around the yard day after day. Before long, Mollie and Chauncy are the best of friends, spending all day together, and only parting because, at the end of the day, Chauncy is a bunny, and Mollie is a pug. The other bunnies are skeptical, though, believing that Chauncy is merely being led on by Mollie. Despite Chauncy's friends' beliefs, eventually the relationship hits the point that Mollie, being the loving pug that she no doubt is, gives Chauncy her favorite toy, telling him that they will be best friends until the end of their days.

We then reach the climax of the story, somewhere near the three-quarters mark. Tragedy strikes. Mollie rushes outside one fateful day, yet Chauncy is nowhere to be found. She searches and searches, but cannot find the bunny. That is until she notices a bunny foot beneath a tree (If you didn't have trees, you do now). Rushing over, Mollie finds Chauncy badly wounded, a snake's poisonous bite oozing blood onto Chauncy's fur. Mollie goes to comfort Chauncy, but Chauncy tells her to run as the snake will soon return. Mollie makes the decision to stay and fight, facing her fears of death for Chauncy. The snake returns, and the battle is fierce. Mollie exits victorious, however, with the snake slain. She returns to Chauncy as the bunny takes his final breaths, saying goodbye to his canine friend.

Mollie falls into a mild depression, mourning the loss of her best friend. She spends days lounging by the invisible portal, staring into the blue sky, remembering the cute little bunny. When she does go outside, she wanders the yard aimlessly, fond memories bringing pain. Finally, after about a week, Mollie finds herself lying in the grass trying to recall the scent of Chauncy, but is saddened when she can't. Out of the corner of her eyes, though, she notices a ball of fur watching her. Heart skipping a beat, Mollie jumps to her paws, disbelieving it could be Chauncy. Low and behold, it isn't Chauncy, but one of the other bunnies. As it twitches its nose at her, more bunnies emerge from behind it, their number growing to 20. They begin to approach Mollie, who is still with confusion. The bunnies had always been scared of her, what had changed? They begin to part, allowing a bunny from the back of their group to come forward. As it reaches Mollie, the bunny reveals that it has Mollie's favorite toy. It tells Mollie that Chauncy cherished that toy, and cherished his friendship with her. They saw what Mollie did for Chauncy, in his final moments, choosing to fight rather than to leave the bunny to be eaten. They tell her that she has proven to them that they shouldn't be skeptical of friendship, the strongest bond of all. In the end, Mollie may have lost her dearest friend, but managed to gain 20 new ones.

The end.

I told Mollie she has someone on the Internet cheering for her to befriend a bunny. 

She immediately grabbed her keys. 

I myself have no pets though I did have a bearded dragon named Psycho, but he died unfortunately. Instead of owning pets I sometimes look after my sister's pets, she currently has 3 1/2 dogs, 2 1/2 rats, 3 cats, 1 deer, though it may have run off I'm not sure, 3 or 4 horses, I'm never sure which ones are hers and which ones she is looking after, 2 calves, 1 pony and 1 water dragon. I say 3 1/2 dogs because she has a Chihuahua, which is basically half rat and half dog, mangy ugly thing that it is.

All of her animals are special needs I swear. Her border collie sits like a girl, he crosses his front paws, he also pees like a girl, he is either gay or was put in the wrong body.

Edited by SmurfAquamarineBodies

I have a red long-haired dachshund named Leia.  She's an odd dog; she generally dislikes other canines.  She'll tolerate their presence so long as they don't pester her too much, but she won't play or interact with them much.  Cats, however, are another story.  If she sees a cat, she will approach it excitedly and, if permitted, lick it on the face.  I have thus seen the full range of disgusted facial expressions a feline is capable of.

And despite being my dog for many years before I met him, she is now my husband's dog.  She follows him around the house and gazes at him adoringly until he flies the remote control helicopter for her.

...we have gone through a great many remote control helicopters over the past few years.

I told Mollie she has someone on the Internet cheering for her to befriend a bunny. 

She immediately grabbed her keys. 

All that up there was so totally adorable.  It was so adorable that there is no way I could possible ever tell you the story about our old bunny, Benjamin a/k/a Benny and our old dog Molly (she was half lab, though, and not a pug).  I will only tell it to you by PM at special request AND if you promise not to cry floods of tears through the interwebs.

All that up there was so totally adorable. It was so adorable that there is no way I could possible ever tell you the story about our old bunny, Benjamin a/k/a Benny and our old dog Molly (she was half lab, though, and not a pug). I will only tell it to you by PM at special request AND if you promise not to cry floods of tears through the interwebs.

What if I promise to keep the floods of tears on my side of the interwebs?

All that up there was so totally adorable.  It was so adorable that there is no way I could possible ever tell you the story about our old bunny, Benjamin a/k/a Benny and our old dog Molly (she was half lab, though, and not a pug).  I will only tell it to you by PM at special request AND if you promise not to cry floods of tears through the interwebs.

But... but... I want to hear the cute bunny story too. :(

PET UPDATE: The wife and I have moved out of her dad's house and are pretty much back to our original line up. Duke the 13 year old Lab-Rotty mix(aka Grumpasuar, Dukerpanda and Old Bastard); Nightmare the 4 year old Shep-Healer mix (aka Baby Dragon, Black Yoda, Miss Scare) and Aries the 8 or 9 year old black demon cat (Aka, "GAH!! GETHEROFFMYCHEST! SHESCLAWINGMEANDDROOLINGINMYMOUTH!!!!) Plus: BONUS DOG: Luna, the 2 year old Husky/Black lab nuclear powered monster pup. (Aka Lunabear, Hopper, Psycotron, Lunatic, Luna-monstrosity and the most adorable weirdo ever) 

All the dogs get along for about an hour until Duke gets fed up with Luna's never ending energy and then he gets very irritated. Even Nightmare who is basically a mini(yet older) clone of Luna eventually gets to the "Dude, chill out... and leave me alone" stage pretty fast, and she usually has a lot of energy. Luna tried to eat Aries the other day which turned into a lot of yelping and panicking when a cat named after the god of war decided she was having none of that. I'm a bit of a horrible person so I laughed a little but Luna learned her lesson.  

Luna tried to eat Aries the other day which turned into a lot of yelping and panicking when a cat named after the god of war decided she was having none of that. I'm a bit of a horrible person so I laughed a little but Luna learned her lesson.  

We didn't declaw my cat for the express purpose of giving her a means to defend herself from the dogs. The canines definitely do learn their lessons. It's hilarious.

We didn't declaw my cat for the express purpose of giving her a means to defend herself from the dogs. The canines definitely do learn their lessons. It's hilarious.

Yeah. Here in Texas we don't declaw or even collar our cats, because they need to be able to run, dodge, scamper up trees, and scratch the Calamity out of any coyotes that come onto our property. Declawing them would be like taking a big game hunter's rifle, crippling him from the waist down, and stranding him on an island infested with velociraptors.

Yeah. Here in Texas we don't declaw or even collar our cats, because they need to be able to run, dodge, scamper up trees, and scratch the Calamity out of any coyotes that come onto our property. Declawing them would be like taking a big game hunter's rifle, crippling him from the waist down, and stranding him on an island infested with velociraptors.

Well when your cats are outdoor cats then definitely don't declaw them. My cat is an indoor-all-the-time kinda gal. That being said, all the cat collars I've ever seen involve a clip-mechanism that releases if too much force is put on it, in the event the cat has a kerfluffle with a tree branch (so it can't accidentally hang itself). My cat learned within two weeks how to remove it herself, so she just goes around un-collared as a result. Not that she'd run away though, she's terrified of everything.

she's terrified of everything.

Yeah, Aries totally isn't scared of anything... she just uh... hates everything. (She's terrified of everything except the dogs and plays it off like she's not) 

Well when your cats are outdoor cats then definitely don't declaw them. My cat is an indoor-all-the-time kinda gal. That being said, all the cat collars I've ever seen involve a clip-mechanism that releases if too much force is put on it, in the event the cat has a kerfluffle with a tree branch (so it can't accidentally hang itself). My cat learned within two weeks how to remove it herself, so she just goes around un-collared as a result. Not that she'd run away though, she's terrified of everything.

Same with ours!  No collar, but scared of her own shadow, I think.  Unlike yours, she will definitely go all lovie-dovie on you, especially if jeans are involved.  See link for cute happy-cat picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3p-Wyv5K0hMFdwLWJHVTBVNmdMa09LNzRMNVUyLWdpZUdJ/view

Two cats, both fuzzy and adorable.

Comfrey sleeps ALL STORMING DAY, and then meows, LOUDLY, out in the hall ALL STORMING NIGHT.

Lavender loves wandering around. As of right now, I have no idea where she is. Probably stalking the neighbor's chickens. 

• 3 weeks later...

One cat. We call her Kitty. She used to have a name, but she responds to Kitty Kitty. We're uncreative. But anyway, she's a really sweet and shy calico and we love her to bits.

We've had a few dogs in the past too, two golden retrievers and a sheltie. We fostered a terrier for about six months and will hopefully be fostering another golden soon.

I want a snake.

• 1 month later...

We had a rabbit called Snowdrop quite a few years back. Was pretty good, till he, er, went kinda feral, then got killed by a fox, for fun :/

After that we had 2 hand-reared cockatiels (one a while after the other). They were awesome, happy to just sit on your shoulder and keep you company :) Our first one also danced to "Under the sea" and stole the robber whenever we played Settlers of Catan. We used to try to set up another game with a lot of wooden pieces to the side for it to play with (some version of this one). It wasn't fooled though, it would barrel through, knocking them all over, and then grab the robber and fly off :)

We lost the first cockatiel while I was on holiday in Tasmania. It always heard when we were coming home and flew through the house to meet us, somebody accidentally opened the door into it as it was flying and gave it a bit of a knock, it flew out the open door. :( Our second one had crazy periods were it would fly rapidly around the rooms it was in like a mad thing, someone wasn't paying attention and it went straight out the door as well. When we were looking/asking around for that one (we never found it) we met someone who had found a stray cockatiel around the time we lost our first and it looked roughly the same. So we think it was the same one, she'd had it far longer than we ever did by that point but it's nice to think that it was ok.

....anyway, on a less depressing note, meet Robbie!

Robbie_zpsq6knrnt4.jpg

robbie_zpszoxossl4.jpg

14 week old Border Collie puppy. (He was 8 weeks in the second image and we'd just brought him home.)

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

"The cat hair is strong with this one. Join me, Luke, and together we shall cover the galaxy in cats as father and son." 

That just gives off some very wrong images.

I'm also a cat person, and a bird person, which means I can indulge in one or the other. It isn't very often cats and budgies from two different households will get along with each other when they move in together, so when my budgies die, I'll be getting a cat then.

At the moment though, I have Bobby, a mostly white budgie with vivid blue bits, and Yoda, a green one.