Rosharan Pregnancy

gerareg

Question

This is a fairly out-there question, but this just came to mind while I was on labor watch at the LR at my hospital. How long do pregnancies last in Roshar? Here it takes about 37-40 weeks normally. That translates to roughly 250-280 days. Since Roshar has 5-day weeks and 10-week months, is it the same in terms of days or weeks? I know this is so random, forgive me. 

7 answers to this question

365 * 24 = 8760 hours * 1.1 = 9636.

So a Rosharan year is the equivalent of 9636 earth hours... 

20 * 500 = 10000 Roshar hours in a year. Makes for easy math. A Rosharan hour is 0.9636 hours. 

I can't find an actual hour length for average pregnancy. But if we take the 38 week model 38 * 7 * 24 = 6384 hours. 

6384 / 0.9636 = 6625 (rounded down the 0.155) 

6625 Rosharan hours / 20 = 331 1/4 Rosharan days. 

So a Rosharan Pregnancy should last 331 days, or roughly 6 and a half months. 

Edited by Calderis

A Rosharan year is about 500 days, so I guess a Rosharan pregnancy would take about half a year. The actual time it takes would still be the same. I actually don't remember any WoBs about this specifically, though, so this is just an (educated) guess.

Edited by Vissy

Yeah, the Rosharan system of dates is weird, but human biology seems to be relatively normal. For example, Brandon has said that Rosharans age at the same rate as normal humans. 10 Roshar-years is about 11 Earth-years, so Rosharan characters should always be imagined a little older than their in-world ages. So pregnancy probably lasts the same number of days you'd expect it to last, but Rosharans would not describe that period as nine months. It would probably be more like five.

But also keep in mind - Rosharan days are shorter than ours (slightly under 20 hours), making their year come out to only 1.1 times the length of ours. To get an accurate timeframe for anything, you'll need to calculate it down to hours, and then run it into Rosharan time.

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

365 * 24 = 8760 hours * 1.1 = 9636.

So a Rosharan year is the equivalent of 9636 earth hours... 

20 * 500 = 10000 Roshar hours in a year. Makes for easy math. A Rosharan hour is 0.9636 hours. 

I can't find an actual hour length for average pregnancy. But if we take the 38 week model 38 * 7 * 24 = 6384 hours. 

6384 / 0.9636 = 6625 (rounded down the 0.155) 

6625 Rosharan hours / 20 = 331 1/4 Rosharan days. 

So a Rosharan Pregnancy should last 331 days, or roughly 6 and a half months. 

Wow. Thank you for making time doing those computations. Makes it more clearer. And yes, there is no average hour length to pregnancy, we use weeks to determine age of gestation and estimate due date.

And thank you all for answering my very random question.