[OB] Stone Shamanism and The Girl Who Looked Up

Erunion

5 minutes ago, lookingglass said:

What about the girl's white hair when Shallan is lighweaving the story? Could that mean the humans came from Nalthis and had the royal locks? or maybe the child just grew old during her climb?

Reading the story I understood she grew old in the time she spent to reach the top

Ive already said this a couple times, but I may as well put it in the dedicated thread as well.

Shallan's story gives me massive dejavu vibes.

I can't figure out why, and I've probably already spent 3 hours looking for another book, or a real life folk tale, or even a real place that shares some similarities, but I can't find anything at all.

I feel like I've read it before, almost word for word. The girl climbing the wall and finding out her people were the monsters (with the stairs on the outside), the twisted faces in the wall, and tying a hammock with scarves all seem so familiar that I can't help but think its based on something I heard as a child. From the searching I've done, though, it looks like I'm probably crazy.

Aside from my crazy rant though, I really like this theory, and it seems very plausible.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

12 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

Ive already said this a couple times, but I may as well put it in the dedicated thread as well.

I can't figure out why, and I've probably already spent 3 hours looking for another book, or a real life folk tale, or even a real place that shares some similarities, but I can't find anything at all.

I feel like I've read it before, almost word for word. The girl climbing the wall and finding out her people were the monsters (with the stairs on the outside), the twisted faces in the wall, and tying a hammock with scarves all seem so familiar that I cant help but think its based on something I heard as a child. From the searching I've done, though, it looks like I'm probably crazy.

Aside from my crazy rant though, I really like this theory, and it seems very plausible.

I think we've found who the story is really about. That one time you climbed the wall at summer camp was more significant than you first thought...

3 minutes ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

I think we've found who the story is really about. That one time you climbed the wall at summer camp was more significant than you first thought...

You caught me, my life story is secretly the plot for the back 5 Stormlight books, this is just the first teaser.

In reality? Oh God I hope not, that would be boring :P

19 hours ago, Cowmanthethird said:

I feel like I've read it before, almost word for word. The girl climbing the wall and finding out her people were the monsters (with the stairs on the outside), the twisted faces in the wall, and tying a hammock with scarves all seem so familiar that I can't help but think its based on something I heard as a child. From the searching I've done, though, it looks like I'm probably crazy.

You may be remembering the story from a not so recent Rothfuss work, that is in spoliers in case you have not read it.:

Spoiler

https://thetinkerspacks.com/products/princess-1?variant=768714399

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath The BedSpoilered for reasons, you can even see the wall in the distance.

Except for the rushed ending of "now storms came and everything was awful" - there are some interesting parallels here.

But at the end of the day, there are number of parables, or moral stories where the POV character judged someone else only to find at the end that they too were judged to be monsters by someone else.  It is an important lesson on perspective for children to learn.

36 minutes ago, Stark said:

You may be remembering the story from a not so recent Rothfuss work, that is in spoliers in case you have not read it.:

Hide contents

https://thetinkerspacks.com/products/princess-1?variant=768714399

The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle: The Thing Beneath The BedSpoilered for reasons, you can even see the wall in the distance.

Except for the rushed ending of "now storms came and everything was awful" - there are some interesting parallels here.

The title doesn't ring any bells, but I'll definitely be buying a copy so I can check, just in case you just solved my madness.:P This is the best suggestion I've gotten since I started looking.

1 minute ago, Cowmanthethird said:

The title doesn't ring any bells, but I'll definitely be buying a copy so I can check, just in case you just solved my madness.:P This is the best suggestion I've gotten since I started looking.

In the interests of full disclosure, many of the elements of this story are similar, yet entirely different to Shallan's story.  However, it is joyfully Grim and a worthwhile read.  But, take head of the gold foil sticker that comes with it, proclaiming that "This rust is not for kids. Seriously." to heart.  I would not recommend reading this to young children, or at least not your own, despite the joyful exterior and friendly looking pictures.

Just now, Stark said:

In the interests of full disclosure, many of the elements of this story are similar, yet entirely different to Shallan's story.  However, it is joyfully Grim and a worthwhile read.  But, take head of the gold foil sticker that comes with it, proclaiming that "This rust is not for kids. Seriously." to heart.  I would not recommend reading this to young children, or at least not your own, despite the joyful exterior and friendly looking pictures.

Haha yeah, that's pretty much what the description I googled said. It sounds like something I'd read on my own at about 13 or 14 though.

I'm honestly not too bothered that it's not that similar to 'the girl who looked up,' even though I feel like I remember a lot of details, here in this Shallan thread we all know how weird memory can be :P

I very well could be remembering a lot of different things out of context, this seems closeish, thematically speaking.

‘The Girl Who Looked Up’ seems to be a few different myths/stories married together with a Stormlight twist. 

You have the Prometheus and Pandora myths in there. 

The main character and the tone of the story are both strongly reminiscent of the Fairyland series by Catherynne M. Valante (which I highly recommend - the title of the first is The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship or Her Own Making - a title which should be recommendation enough). The scarf is also reminiscent of something from that series, but could be related to something else (Warbreaker?). 

The edifice of a giant wall that needed to be climbed rings a bell, but I can’t place it. 

What this all means though, is that Sanderson wrote a beautiful and enduring myth/fairytale if all of us are having such a strong déjà-vu reaction. 

I like the theory and posted something a lot less eloquently in the other thread about the story. One thing that was brought up in the that thread that does not necessarily disprove this but make me think the theory needs to be fleshed out a little more is a WoB stating there were humans and listeners there before the shattering. I still think it is possible that these two groups didn't co-exist well before Honor and Cultivation showed up on Roshar. Maybe Cultivation cultivated a more hospitable place for humans modeled after Yolen and Honor helped with an oath to keep the peace. Possible the humans were the even slaves to the Listeners before they arrived. My only problem with this is it seems pretty one sided I do not see what the Listners got out of it. 

2 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

You don't?  Look what happened to them ever since humans emerged (assuming this theory is true).  What they get out of it is *that* not happening!

I guess that is true if the humans were always evil ones. I had suspected that there may have been a reversal of the current roles and the humans may have been enslaved to the Listeners until Honor and Cultivation came along to make their safe haven but I have no basis at all for that. So it is possible the human inhabitants were always running a muck and this was a means to create peace until the humans decided not to hold up their end of the deal.

I also felt a deja vu from the story, and I haven't read that specific one you linked.

there are, however, a few archetypes that can ring in it: the hystory of an ancient prohibition and somebody disobeying it, which could resonate both with the adam and eve myth (climbing the wall as akin to eating the apple; notice how in both cases the person gains the capacity to discern good from evil) and with prometheus (somebody disobeying a prohibition and gaining powerful knowledge, but also a punishment). the idea of someone pushing the boundaries of the unknown could also be related to ulysses, and possibly to some more myths I don't know about.

As for the idea that the wall is the shin mountains, it makes sense and several people suggested the idea in the chapter discussion. I doubt it's so simplicistic, but there's probably something there.

Edited by king of nowhere

There is also the classic three questions / three answers that sends the protagonist into her hero's journey. It's the Rule of Three, and it's very common in popular myths. 

Everything worth saying must be said thrice, because it can be denied twice. 

It is also a reliquat of the old times, were tales were told by voice, and never written. The Rule of Three allowed an easier memorization, which is why it is present in all the old myths, and still used now as a reference. 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfThree

There, I send you on a TVtropes journey, may the Allmighty save you from spending your whole day on it.