Tidbit from Peter's twitter on Stormlight focus chracters

WeiryWriter

Disclaimer: You have no idea how hard I looked for one of the million preexisting threads discussing the Stormlight focus characters, want to know how many I found? None! Hence the new thread.

So earlier today on twitter someone asked "Have all ten primary characters in the Stormlight Archive been at least mentioned in WoK?"

To which Peter said "No".

Now I'm interpreting "all ten primary characters" as being the focus/flashback characters.  This makes me wonder though, who do we not know yet?  Does Eshonai count as not being mentioned? Or perhaps is this referring to the second Herald?

I would think that Eshonai counts as being mentioned, since she does appear in tWoK even if not by name. 

Is the 2nd herald, Nalan, the only one we don't think we have a sighting for yet? I somehow don't think that the 10 Heralds are going to primary POV characters in the Stormlight Archive books. Talenel is supposed to be an Interlude POV in Words of Radiance, but aside from that, we don't have any 100% Herald appearances. 

I followed up with a question if we'll have seen all 10 primary character by the end of WoR or not... we'll see if we get a reply to that one though. 

I would think that Eshonai counts as being mentioned, since she does appear in tWoK even if not by name. 

Is the 2nd herald, Nalan, the only one we don't think we have a sighting for yet? I somehow don't think that the 10 Heralds are going to primary POV characters in the Stormlight Archive books. Talenel is supposed to be an Interlude POV in Words of Radiance, but aside from that, we don't have any 100% Herald appearances. 

I followed up with a question if we'll have seen all 10 primary character by the end of WoR or not... we'll see if we get a reply to that one though. 

Ah, so that was you then?

I agree that Eshonai should be counted, her name is a chapter title as well appearing on-screen.  That was my conspiracy-theorist-ness rearing its dashingly-handsome head.

The "second herald" doesn't refer to Nalan, sorry if that wasn't clear.  A while back Brandon was talking about who would be getting flashback books and he mentioned that Taln would get one as well as another Herald.

Ah, so that was you then?

I agree that Eshonai should be counted, her name is a chapter title as well appearing on-screen.  That was my conspiracy-theorist-ness rearing its dashingly-handsome head.

The "second herald" doesn't refer to Nalan, sorry if that wasn't clear.  A while back Brandon was talking about who would be getting flashback books and he mentioned that Taln would get one as well as another Herald.

Yup, me. 

Got it... it'll be interesting to have a POV from an Oathpact breaking Herald for sure!

@PeterAhlstrom no problem, we're just curious and insatiable as you well know!

We think we've sighted 9 Heralds? I've been missing some Herald discussion somewhere… could someone point me in the right direction of a thread?

According to WoB all 10 heralds have been seen or mentioned in TWoK. I think we can only be reasonably positive about seeing 5 including the prelude -  3 not including.

According to WoB all 10 heralds have been seen or mentioned in TWoK. I think we can only be reasonably positive about seeing 5 including the prelude -  3 not including.

That could have been a really easy out for him though. I mean technically every Herald was mentioned when their names were mentioned. Even if that was just someone listing them. 

That could have been a really easy out for him though. I mean technically every Herald was mentioned when their names were mentioned. Even if that was just someone listing them. 

If I remember the WoB correctly he was referencing their current identity. I could be wrong, but I think within context that was what was meant. Either we have met them, or they have been mentioned in one way or another.

Disclaimer: You have no idea how hard I looked for one of the million preexisting threads discussing the Stormlight focus characters, want to know how many I found? None! Hence the new thread.

So earlier today on twitter someone asked "Have all ten primary characters in the Stormlight Archive been at least mentioned in WoK?"

To which Peter said "No".

Now I'm interpreting "all ten primary characters" as being the focus/flashback characters.  This makes me wonder though, who do we not know yet?  Does Eshonai count as not being mentioned? Or perhaps is this referring to the second Herald?

That's interesting, as for BS said:

Marc Aplin

Okay, the next question we have—I think this one you might have answered before—but have we met all the main point-of-view characters yet? Or, if not, what percentage are we talking?

Brandon Sanderson

You have met almost all of them. Let me do a count... Let's see. The main characters in the book are—in the series—Kaladin, and Dalinar, Adolin, Jasnah, Shallan, and Navani, whom you all met in this book and most of them had viewpoints. Szeth, Taravangian, and Taln. And one of the other Heralds; I'm not going to tell you who that is. But I think you've met...you have, I'm sure, met that person; I know he's in there. And so, I think you've met them all, basically. Taln is the person who shows up in the epilogue.

source

BS counts nine characters and "one of the other Heralds" whom we have met in TWoK.

And now Peter says that not all of the main characters have been mentioned in TWoK. Has Adolin been "removed" and another -- yet unknown -- character gets his book? If this would be Eshonai, then the "no" wouldn't work either.

I don't recall if BS said that Eshonai will get an own book ... can somebody help me?

@Macen: I'd really appreciate if you could quote the WoB you're referring to. Thanks in advance.

Eshonai is Book 4 and I believe Navani is no longer getting a book, her backstory is being covered by Dalinar's book.  Personally I kind of doubt Adolin will get a book, I just don't see his backstory as being that important in the way the others are.

There could also be confusion on the "primary character" and "main PoV characters" as asked in those 2 questions.

Navani might get POV chapters, but not be the main flashback character in a book, which is how I would read "primary character".

When was that WoB, he might have shifted his plan since then. And like Peter said, the back 5 are a ways off yet! Things will definitely change before the last one is here!

When was that WoB, he might have shifted his plan since then. And like Peter said, the back 5 are a ways off yet! Things will definitely change before the last one is here!

July 2011, so yeah it is very probable things have changed since then.

I think it's useful to separate the concept of a "main character", a PoV character, and a flashback character. There's obviously more than ten "main characters" and PoV characters in the series, but there's only one flashback character per book, so there can only be ten of those. The thing about flashback characters though, is that you can only be a flashback character if there's something interesting in your past. For instance, Kaladin was an appropriate flashback character for the first book of the series because the flashbacks served to illustrate his life and give depth to the character, but as the first book in the series, it wasn't yet appropriate to have a series of "big reveal" flashbacks from someone like, say, Szeth, or a Herald, or Taravangian.

Words of Radiance will be Shallan, who's somewhere of a cross between Kaladin (where the flashbacks will show why she is how she is) and Szeth (where the flashbacks will tell us an important part of the story, worldbuilding, plot, etc). 

Szeth, who's supposedly book three, will be about Truthlessness, Shinovar, and Honorblades. Eshonai will tell us about the origins of the Parshendi most likely. And Dalinar in book five will probably focus on what it was that Gavilar did, the Old Magic, and the voidlight sphere.

I like Adolin, he's a great character but i don't think he should get a flashback book...don't think it would be a great deal to see.

Kaladin,szeth,shallan,dalinar and taln would be good, i heard there was a time skip between the two arcs so im going to hold off as i don't know how long the skip will be :)

My point is that the only characters who are eligible to be the "flashback character" of a book are characters with enough important material in their backstory to justify the flashbacks. In my opinion, Kaladin only counted because Way of Kings was the first book, and therefore the flashbacks were as much about setting up the flashback system as they were about him. 

Going forward, only characters with some mystery to their backstory and the potential to illuminate the current conflict will be eligible for flashbacks. Aside from the ones we know about (Szeth, Eshonai, Dalinar) the short list includes Taravangian, Taln, the other herald, Gavilar (I think this is what BS always meant when he talked about potentially doing flashbacks for a dead character, rather than Dalinar), possibly Jasnah (though I doubt it). 

Gavilar (I think this is what BS always meant when he talked about potentially doing flashbacks for a dead character, rather than Dalinar)

I never thought about it that way before. If BS is doing that, it's sneaky, and I approve wholeheartedly.

• Chaos locked this topic