So My Calculus 3 Instructor is a Sanderfan...

7 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Is "Well, maybe I didn't do my homework but I've just seen that WoB and I think I am close to figuring out Scadrian FTL now" a legit excuse? :P

Hah! Jokes on you, I don't grade homework: I give quizzes :P 

But maybe if it was particularly well-cited and well-written, perhaps. 

44 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

Now you have a new tool of class derailment ;) 

Just for one student ;) 

38 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

Ah, the possibilities. :)

Hey Chaos, do you think you can figure out which student I am? I'll give you a hint: I'm in your 9:00 class. ;)

P.S. Hey Ryth. B)

Oh I guessed exactly who you were. I'd post here but I'm not sure if you'd want your name public, so I'll refrain :) 

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Just for one student ;) 

Oh I guessed exactly who you were. I'd post here but I'm not sure if you'd want your name public, so I'll refrain :) 

Normally I am very reluctant to post my real name on the Internet, but with these circumstances, I would have made an exception. ;)

And I absolutely wouldn't mind if the rest of the quizzes for the semester end up being Cosmere themed. :)

23 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

Normally I am very reluctant to post my real name on the Internet, but with these circumstances, I would have made an exception. ;)

And I absolutely wouldn't mind if the rest of the quizzes for the semester end up being Cosmere themed. :)

No worries, I'll see you tomorrow :) 

And that's pretty difficult to do to theme them, unfortunately. I'd also worry that people would be confused if they had to read a long preamble...

• 2 weeks later...

Super cool thread. This really put a smile on my face while reading! :D

The biggest reveal I can remember about a teacher was when we found out that she had helped Mel Brooks edit the script for Young Frankenstein. She was also the drama instructor, in addition to being an English teacher. After that clicked into place it was sooo much easier to take her direction and do what she wanted with it. Ended up placing 3rd in state that year for our 1-act play. 

6 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Super cool thread. This really put a smile on my face while reading! :D

The biggest reveal I can remember about a teacher was when we found out that she had helped Mel Brooks edit the script for Young Frankenstein. She was also the drama instructor, in addition to being an English teacher. After that clicked into place it was sooo much easier to take her direction and do what she wanted with it. Ended up placing 3rd in state that year for our 1-act play. 

That's pretty cool. I love it when instructors do fun stuff. It makes the quizzes and and exams so much easier to do. I just took the Calc exam last night, and it was pretty dry. Just a laundry list of "do X math." I'm not saying I want every problem to be  Cosmere themed (as awesome as that would be), but just doing something to make the stuff less intimidating. My last Physics problem featured Frodo and Sam sledding down Mt. Doom. I read somewhere online that a physics professor at a different school had written a problem based on an Overwatch character. Fun problems are just so much more...fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how to feel about this thread. On the one hand, this is insanely awesome. Well done @Chaos  

On the other hand, the question gave me horrified flashbacks. 

Calc 3 and I were not friends. Not at all. (An.... interesting, new prof and a semester spent sick made for a vile combination. Fun fact - the average for the final exam was 40/180. In a class of 300. That says something. I still have nightmares of that exam). 

15 hours ago, Erunion said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this thread. On the one hand, this is insanely awesome. Well done @Chaos  

On the other hand, the question gave me horrified flashbacks. 

Calc 3 and I were not friends. Not at all. (An.... interesting, new prof and a semester spent sick made for a vile combination. Fun fact - the average for the final exam was 40/180. In a class of 300. That says something. I still have nightmares of that exam). 

Idos Domi, that's a bad average. And here I thought an average of 60 was bad...

Anyways, just take Calc 3 from Chaos. He's fun. And a rather terrible white board artist, which is entertaining in its own right. 

58 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

Idos Domi, that's a bad average. And here I thought an average of 60 was bad...

Anyways, just take Calc 3 from Chaos. He's fun. And a rather terrible white board artist, which is entertaining in its own right. 

Too late now - finished that course a couple years ago (passed! Thank heavens for a good scale to compensate for a bad exam), and as good as Chaos seems to be, I'm not willing to travel halfway across a continent to take one course.... 

But if only I'd had the opportunity! Would have done much better I'm sure ;) 

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, bleeder said:

I just read this entire thread in one sitting, and, needless to say, am incredibly amused.

@Chaos Could you move to East Tennessee? Please? None of my teachers are at this level of cool.

No, he should move to Boston. I take Calc 3 next semester (assuming I pass the Calc 2 final on Monday). 

Side note, I looked Prof. Lake up on RateMyProfessor. He's well loved and respected, despite the occasional bout of incomprehensibility due to knowing too many complicated math terms. 

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

I just read this entire thread in one sitting, and, needless to say, am incredibly amused.

@Chaos Could you move to East Tennessee? Please? None of my teachers are at this level of cool.

I am looking to move but no offense the South was not a place on my radar :)

1 hour ago, Ironeyes said:

No, he should move to Boston. I take Calc 3 next semester (assuming I pass the Calc 2 final on Monday). 

Side note, I looked Prof. Lake up on RateMyProfessor. He's well loved and respected, despite the occasional bout of incomprehensibility due to knowing too many complicated math terms. 

Yeah sometimes I go too fast, but most times I never get all of the section done that I need to anyway, so what can you do. Some people like things slowly, but you just can't afford that and they need to come into office hours for more individual attention.

Student evaluations can be difficult. It is like getting critique on a novel. Brandon says you should throw out 3/4ths of critique there, and that's fairly true here. For example a lot of the time you get conflicted stuff. "I like that he's loud, wakes me up in the morning." "He's too loud." What are you supposed to do with that? There are usually things you can fix but most comments are not that helpful. Some people like my jokes, others don't. That's fine. Not everyone likes every teacher. 

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

Yeah sometimes I go too fast, but most times I never get all of the section done that I need to anyway, so what can you do. Some people like things slowly, but you just can't afford that and they need to come into office hours for more individual attention.

Student evaluations can be difficult. It is like getting critique on a novel. Brandon says you should throw out 3/4ths of critique there, and that's fairly true here. For example a lot of the time you get conflicted stuff. "I like that he's loud, wakes me up in the morning." "He's too loud." What are you supposed to do with that? There are usually things you can fix but most comments are not that helpful. Some people like my jokes, others don't. That's fine. Not everyone likes every teacher. 

Meh. The lecturing pace was fairly easy to adjust to. The best part of your teaching style is watching you try to draw figures on the white board. It's also nice, getting the occasional Stormlight themed worksheet. 

I kind of love the fact that this thread exists.

On 12/17/2016 at 9:02 PM, Chaos said:

I am looking to move but no offense the South was not a place on my radar :)

If you by some weird twist of fate wind up in Kansas City, I will totes introduce you to all of the cool nerds.

(But seriously, I will be very happy to see you get out of the desolate tundra in which you now live, wherever you end up.)

14 hours ago, Glamdring804 said:

Meh. The lecturing pace was fairly easy to adjust to. The best part of your teaching style is watching you try to draw figures on the white board. It's also nice, getting the occasional Stormlight themed worksheet. 

Heh.  Now I am picturing Chaos teaching calculus with the power of Wayne stick figures.  This ranks very high up on my list of Best Mental Images.