So My Calculus 3 Instructor is a Sanderfan...

17 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

I kind of love the fact that this thread exists.

If you by some weird twist of fate wind up in Kansas City, I will totes introduce you to all of the cool nerds.

(But seriously, I will be very happy to see you get out of the desolate tundra in which you now live, wherever you end up.)

Oi! Bozeman is not a desolate tundra! It's a vibrant and dynamic college town nestled in the corner of a broad valley, with beautiful, towering mountains in both directions. It's certainly better than Kansas Ciy, which is just flat and sticky  -_--_--_-

17 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Heh.  Now I am picturing Chaos teaching calculus with the power of Wayne stick figures.  This ranks very high up on my list of Best Mental Images.

Damnit, @Chaos, why wasn't this a thing in class?

23 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

Oi! Bozeman is not a desolate tundra! It's a vibrant and dynamic college town nestled in the corner of a broad valley, with beautiful, towering mountains in both directions.

But...it's so north.  Your winters are scary.  Heck, it got below zero this weekend here and I barely survived.  I mean, college towns are always fun places, but if I were there I'd be that one idiot lobbying the administration to install human-sized heated hamster tubes connecting all the buildings so that lizard-blooded folk like me could traverse campus without dying.  What I'm saying is, I'm just not built for winter.

Of course, as a redhead of Scotch-Irish descent, I'm not built for the tropics, either, as I tend to burn if the sun so much as sneezes in my direction.  So I live in a middle latitude where the extremes of the seasons only try to kill me a little bit.  :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

It's certainly better than Kansas Ciy, which is just flat and sticky  -_--_--_-

Flat.

*looks out at the metro, with its weird tangle of roads designed to go around all of the weird hills and river ravines like some eldritch rune that keeps a restless Elder God asleep below the city*

*thinks about some of the crazy hills that I've gotten stuck on when they ice over.  or that one awful hill on the bike trails that I tried to bike all the way up once, lost momentum, and fell over*

*giggles uncontrollably*

Bweeheehee!  *tearwipe*  Hee.  Sorry.  I know that we're flat compared to mountains, but you want to see what real flat looks like, go visit the Kansas-Colorado border. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Bweeheehee!  *tearwipe*  Hee.  Sorry.  I know that we're flat compared to mountains, but you want to see what real flat looks like, go visit the Kansas-Colorado border. :lol:

Or anywhere between Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, and Illinois!

*ahem* 2015 family road trip to Omaha *ahem*

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

Or anywhere between Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, and Illinois!

*ahem* 2015 family road trip to Omaha *ahem*

Heh.  You've got Nebraska right.  When going west, we'll head through Denver because even the KS-CO route is less dull than the NE one.

But Missouri has hills, at least, and even Kansas isn't too bad through the eastern third of the state.  In Iowa they're a bit more rolling, but at least it's not the never-ending oceanic flatness that is NE / western KS / eastern CO.

2 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Heh.  You've got Nebraska right.  When going west, we'll head through Denver because even the KS-CO route is less dull than the NE one.

But Missouri has hills, at least, and even Kansas isn't too bad through the eastern third of the state.  In Iowa they're a bit more rolling, but at least it's not the never-ending oceanic flatness that is NE / western KS / eastern CO.

It was particularly jarring for me, because I have lived in a mountain town for the past 7 years of my life.

Edited by bleeder

1 minute ago, bleeder said:

It was particularly jarring for me, because I have lived in a mountain town for the past 7 years of my life.

Heh.  Yeah, I remember the topography shock when we moved from the mountainous Southwest to northeast Missouri when I was a kid.  (Though I was amazed enough at seeing so much green that it lessened things a bit.)  But one gains new appreciation for hills once one has driven from KC to Denver and found that the only major topographical landmarks of note are windmills.

6 minutes ago, Glamdring804 said:

Heh. Don't forget the eastern Dakotas. Now that area is flat. I go partially insane every time I drive through there. Everything is just so uniform, all the way to the horizon. 

I went through a Dakota once.  The experience was so unnerving that I blocked it out of my memory.

• Chaos locked this topic