Book Review Group

Young Bard

OK, a while ago, I made a post about how Sharders making book reviews about various books they enjoyed for other Sharders would be interesting (it's in the Bands of Mourning Review news page, if you want to track it down). Anyway, Rubix said he'd considered doing something like that with the other Sharder staff, so that we learn their tastes in comparison with ours and are able to guess what we'd like, etc. I haven't really heard anything about it since.

So, I've decided to take a proactive step. Building on Rubix's and my ideas, I'd like to organize a group to create reviews. My aim is to have a weekly review, published alternately between about a dozen Sharders, so that each of us only have to write a review once every 3 months or so, which shouldn't take up too much of our time. If you're interested in signing up, or have any questions, or just want to voice support, here's the place to do that.

I have a tentative date to start posting reviews at the beginning of July, but that's subject to change.

List of Interested Sharder Reviewers so far:

1. The Young Bard

2. Jondesu (maybe)

3. Sunbird

4. Chasmfiend

5. Master Elodin

6. Slowswift

7. Nashan'Elin

8. Delightful

9. Orlion

Edited by The Young Bard

I'm interested in participating. :) We get to choose what books to review, though, right, so long as they fall under the scifi/fantasy umbrella? Also, I have lots of reviews already written on GoodReads. Would it be frowned upon for me to post my old reviews of SFF books in lieu of writing new ones every time my turn comes around?

I'm interested in participating. :) We get to choose what books to review, though, right, so long as they fall under the scifi/fantasy umbrella? Also, I have lots of reviews already written on GoodReads. Would it be frowned upon for me to post my old reviews of SFF books in lieu of writing new ones every time my turn comes around?

You do get to choose your own books to review, yes.

I see no problem with that.

Only scifi/fantasy? Expand your horizons, man! :D

You're right. I just automatically assumed that most Sharders would be interested in sf/f. If you have suggestions that aren't in that genre, but think that Sharders would be interested, then by all means they can be reviewed as well. I'll fix up the OP now.

Edited by The Young Bard

Same as Honor Spren. My book reviews tend to be a few lines of gushing if I liked it, or fourteen paragraphs of sarcasm if I hated it.

Most of the time I only go to the trouble to write an in-depth review if I really liked the book. Three times I have been approached by authors asking me to review their books (That experience always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling), with mixed results. Two of them I liked pretty well and gave mostly positive reviews (4 stars out of GoodReads's allowed 5), but the third was really awful and I was brutally honest but felt bad about it because the author was a nice guy.

A few other times I have read books I was really disappointed with and just wrote a few lines about why I didn't like them because I didn't feel they deserved any more effort than that.

You're right. I just automatically assumed that most Sharders would be interested in sf/f. If you have suggestions that aren't in that genre, but think that Sharders would be interested, then by all means they can be reviewed as well. I'll fix up the OP now.

Then I'll be interested to add some culture to the Shard ;) (honestly, the ones I'm thinking of doing are fantasy anyway, so there's much ado, perhaps, over nothing :P)

• Chaos locked this topic