Rithmatist Launch, WoR excerpt.

Nepene

A noble hero of reddit, ManceRaider, recorded and transcribed this excerpt for people. http://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/1ed373/went_to_rithmatist_launch_tonight_brandon_read_a/

I went to the launch event for "The Rithmatist" tonight in NYC and Brandon read off the beginning of an interlude segment for a character named Teravangian. I recorded it on video and transcribed most of it below. I'll upload and post the video if enough people want it, but I didn't have a great view and it was mostly just to grab the audio. There were a few words I just couldn't manage to decipher so I apologize ahead of time.

Teravangian, King of Carbronth, awoke to stiff muscles and an ache in his back. He didn't feel stupid. That was a good sign. He sat up with a groan, those aches were perpetual now, and his best healers could only shake their heads and promise him that he was fit his age. Fit. His joints cracked like logs on the fire and he couldn't stand up quickly lest he lose his balance and topple to the floor. To age was truly to suffer the ultimate treason, that of one's body against oneself. The ship had docked on schedule. Excellent. As he settled himself, a servant approached from the table and another with a warm, wet cloth were wiping his hands and eyes. Behind them awaited the king's testers. How long had it been since Teravangian had been alone, truly alone? Not since long before the ??? came upon him. Mayben arrived with his morning meal. ?? by ?? mush was supposed to be good for his constitution. It tasted like dishwater. Bland dishwater. She stepped forward to set out the meal. The "Trall", a (??"Fay-lin") man with a shaved head and eyebrows, stopped her with a hand to the arm.

"Tests first" Trall said.

Teravangian looked up, meeting the large mans gaze. Trall could woo over a mountain and intimidate the wind itself. Everybody assumed he was Teravangian's head bodyguard. The truth was more disturbing. Trawl was the one who would decide whether Teravangian would spend the day as king, or as a prisoner.

"Surely you could let him eat first" Mayben said.

"This is an important day" Trawl said, voice low. "I would know."

"But -"

"It is his right to demand this Mayben" Teravangian said. "Let us be on with it."

Trall stepped back and the testers approached, a group of three Stormwardens in purposefully esoteric robes and caps. They presented for him a series of pages covered in figures and glyphs. Mathematical problems devised by Teravangian himself during one of his 'better' days. He picked up the pen with hesitant fingers. He did not feel stupid, but he rarely did. Only on the worst of days did he recognize the difference, at least immediately. Days when his mind was thick like tar and he felt like a prisoner in his own mind, aware that something was profoundly wrong. That wasn't today fortunately. He wasn't a complete idiot. At worst he would just be very stupid. He set his tasks, solving the mathematical problems as he could. He was not stupid fortunately, neither was he a genius. Today he was average, and that would do. He turned over the problems to the Stormwardens who ?? them softly. They turned to Trall.

"He is fit to serve" proclaimed one of the Stormwardens. "He may not change the diagram, but he may interact outside of supervision and may change policy and pass judgement."

Trall nodded, looking at Teravangian.

"Do you accept this assessment and these restrictions your Majesty?"

"I do."

Trall nodded, then stepped back, allowing the serving woman to set out Teravangian's morning meal.

Edited by Nepene

Thanks Nepene. Have a rep. I guess we know now why Brandon was so willing to tell us about Taravangian's "condition", since it wouldn't be a secret for long.

Edited by Kurkistan

Is there another time Brandon talked about this condition besides this? Where can I find it?

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=705

The answer is quite surprising. Brandon said that Taravangian used the Old Magic, and that he wakes up each day with a different IQ. Sometimes he's a genius, sometimes he's an idiot. So what he does is he writes up math puzzles for himself in the evening, and if he cannot get a certain score in the morning the guards have orders to just take care of him and keep him away from important decisions for that day. That way he keeps his effect (personal speculation, it could be his curse, but also his boon if e.g. he asked for intelligence and only got it part-time) under control.

Hope this helps.

And thanks Kurk.

I was at this event. It was pretty fun and relaxed. He was numbering books, but since there were only like 40 people there, most of the numbered ones are still on the shelf. 

If people are interested in that kind of thing, they should call Books of Wonder in NYC.  

ALSO

One thing from the reading that the post leaves out is that Brandon mentioned that the IQ flux was Teravangian's boon and and his curse all in one. I don't remember if that had been confirmed before. I think had been speculated that sometimes the boon and the curse were the same thing.

If that's not news, my apologies. 

Edited by Yados

Some awesomeness/craziness from Brandon on reddit (pure gold, really):

kurin:

I heard that if he's away from a keyboard for more than fifteen minutes he develops a nervous tick where he starts tapping out rough drafts with his fingers in Morse code. He doesn't even know he's doing it.

Brandon:

. .- -.-. .... / - .. -- . / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / - .... .. ... --..-- / .- -- .- .-. .- -- / ... .- .. -.. --..-- / .. - / -.. .-. .. ...- . ... / .- / .-- . -.. --. . / -... . - .-- . . -. / .... .. -- / .- -. -.. / - .... . / - .... .-. --- -. . .-.-.- / .- -- .- .-. .- -- / - --- --- -.- / -.. .- .-.. .. -. .- .-. / -... -.-- / - .... . / .- .-. -- --..-- / ... - --- .--. .--. .. -. --. / .... .. -- / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-. --- -. - .. -. ..- .. -. --. / ..-. --- .-. .-- .- .-. -.. .-.-.- / .-- . / .... .- ...- . / -... .. --. --. . .-. / .--. .-. --- -... .-.. . -- ... / - .... .- -. / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.. / ... .- -.. . .- ... --..-- / -- -.-- / ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. .-.-.- / -.-- . ... --..-- / .... . / -... . - .-. .- -.-- . -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.- / -.-- . ... --..-- / .... . / .-.. .. -.- . .-.. -.-- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- --. .- .. -. .-.-.- / -... ..- - / .-- . / -.-. .- -. / - / .- ..-. ..-. --- .-. -.. / - --- / .-.. . - / - .... . / - .-- --- / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / --. --- / - --- / .-- .- .-. .-.-.- / - .... . / ...- --- .. -.. -... .-. .. -. --. . .-. ... / .- .-. . / -.-. --- -- .. -. --. .-.-.-

SkyCyrilWorldbuilders:

Crying from laughing. That's a real passage. You're awesome, Brandon.

EACH/TIME/YOU/ALLOW/THIS,/AMARAM/SAID,/IT/DRIVES/A/WEDGE/BETWEEN/HIM/AND/THE/THRONE./ AMARAM/TOOK/DALINAR/BY/THE/ARM,/STOPPING/HIM/FROM/CONTINUING/FORWARD./ WE/HAVE/BIGGER/PROBLEMS/THAN/YOU/AND/SADEAS,/MY/FRIEND./ YES,/HE/BETRAYED/YOU./YES,/HE/LIKELY/WILL/AGAIN./BUT/WE/CAN/T/AFFORD/ TO/LET/THE/TWO/OF/YOU/GO/TO/WAR./THE/VOIDBRINGERS/ARE/COMING.

So Amaram is "my friending" Dalinar. Was Kaladin off-duty that day, or is the next line "Amaram said, just before he took a spear in the knee"?

Edited by Kurkistan

I was at this event. It was pretty fun and relaxed. He was numbering books, but since there were only like 40 people there, most of the numbered ones are still on the shelf. 

If people are interested in that kind of thing, they should call Books of Wonder in NYC.  

Yikes. Only 40 people? Do you know how many books they had?

So Amaram is "my friending" Dalinar. Was Kaladin off-duty that day, or is the next line "Amaram said, just before he took a spear in the knee"?

I used to be a Brightlord like you, then I took a spear to the knee :P

Yikes. Only 40 people? Do you know how many books they had?

I want to say they numbered like a hundred copies? I don't know if that's true or not or if that guess is high or low. I'm pretty solid on the number of people there because they called out numbers to get in line and there were only a few people after my friend who was number 32. They didn't do another call for numbers after that.

But then, some people bought more then one copy and I don't know if they received more than one number for the line. I don't know if the number was for numbering the book or organizing the line. 

Also, some people came up in pairs with one number/book.

So maybe like 50 people? Well, there was also Tor staff. So that probably added on some as well. It wasn't empty, just not packed like the Towers of Midnight signing. But then, I think that was on a weekend. 

I dunno, Tuesday night plus manhattan. I put this on the other thread, but for pretty much anyone who lived nearby but wasn't in one of the boroughs (NJ, even slightly upstate NY) it would have probably taken less time to drive to the PA signing than get into the city. It took my friend maybe two hours each way and she lives right near the NJ transit line.

Sounds like there were more people at the PA signing. 

Edited by Yados