4 hours ago, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

What if you set a cosmic (Lovecraftian) horror story in a western setting?

What about a western story in a cosmic (Lovecraftian) horror setting?

Western as in "Wild West"?

Well, for the first one, it'd go a little bit like this.... I heard from an old hermit out past Fort Eldreda when I was out herding cattle. The man was decrepit, a walkin' corpse, with snaggly yeller teeth. He was stumblin' on the side of the road, and I, being the gent' I am, offered my assistance. The weirdo hermit starts babbling, a creepy blubbery language that gave me the shivers. I try to slap him out of it, like you would do the same, but he hisses at me! I was about to just put that filthy mutt out of his misery when I heard his raspy voice--"

"What?"

"'It comes from Elders' Pass...' the gremlin whispered. I begged his pardon, since his voice sounded like sandpaper on sand with extra dust, and he said it again, with that same rattly voice and that frenzied urgency. I stared at the crazy fool, then saddled my horse and rode away. I didn't think nothing of it for a while, kind of slipped my mind. But then the sheriff, Sheriff Weathers, the poor man, went missin'. It was about a month later, just had a dark moon, and got word of it when it was a teenie crescent. Rumor had it that the ol' sheriff was chasing outlaws out north of Salsdale, by the Indian lands. The last feller who saw him was a rancher, by the name of Davis. He said ol' Weathers asked him for directions, a lead on them criminals. He said he pointed him towards..."

"Now don't tell me--"

"Elders' Pass." 

"You've got to be kiddin' me."

"No kiddin' here, Henry. Straight from the mouth of that feller Davis. So one can only assume that Ol' Sheriff Weathers went a-hunting up at Elders' Pass and didn't come back. So when I caught wind of this, I had an inklin' of what happened up there. Now, being the dashin' cowboy I am, I went to search the sheriff out. If you didn't know, Elders' Pass is one of them Indian sacred places. Hard as stone to get in there without permission. So I went and visited Chief Thundering Bison and told him my s'picions. He told me that someone did go up to Elders' Pass that very night, but he didn't know who. But he also told me that no one, no one, goes to the 'place of the ancestors' when the moon is dark. Now I'm a smart man, I can put two and two together, (that's four by the way) and I was sure that something must of happened up in Elders' Pass. So with my most respectable mannersisms, I asked Chief Bison if I could visit Elders' Pass. It took some talkin', but you know my charm, so he agreed to let me go, and had some of his braves go with me.

"It took a little while to get up there, into the mountains, and man, you haven't see majesty 'til you seen those mountains! They must be the ones that tear holes in the Big Blue. So it was gettin' dark, and chilly, 'cause that's how it is up in the mountains, and we made camp. Those braves know their firemakin', that's for sure. So quick as lightning, we have a roarin' fire. After a quick supper, Quick Snake, I think his name was, leaned over the smoke and told me a story. Told me 'that back when the days were young and man had just started walking the broad plains, that monsters ruled the world. They had defeated the gods, so by reason, they got the world to themselves. They lived in these very peaks, twisting, hulking, powerful beasts that were beyond what the mind could think. They could swallow the sun and control men's minds. The people back then were very scared. But there was one brave, named Burning Eagle, that challenged the monsters that ruled the world. He called upon the gods, who were hiding, and with their power struck down the king of the monsters with a golden arrowhead, right in its seventh heart. The king of the monsters roared, then fell off his mountain throne. So great was his fall, that it split the earth, and all the monsters fell into it. Then Burning Eagle sealed up the hole and preserved it with the power of the gods. The tale had been told to grandson, to his grandson, to his grandson, and on. And the tale tells that Elders' Pass is the place where the king of the monsters fell.' Now I was bedazzled. Monsters? There were no such thing, it's fairy tale stuff you tell lil' Johnny to keep him in bed! I went to sleep right after that, and we started up bright and early. A little ways off from the Pass, the braves stopped. "We will go no farther,' they told me. I supposed they were too scared of their story to follow. And no, I was just shivering because of the cold. Not scared at all."

"The Elders' Pass is this big gap between the mountains, and it goes down into this valley, with some little trees, at the bottom. I could tell there was a path carved into the rocks leadin' down. It was probably for rituals, or whatever the Indians do here. Pow-wows? I'm not an Indian, so I don't know. Now, as I'm walking into this valley, it gets all cold all of the sudden, like a shadow. It didn't make any sense, but it must of been the weird fancy weather patterns of the place keepin' it cold. I follow the path after a while, and I hear this rustling in the stand of trees to the right. I crouch down and finger my trusty revolver. Then a horse bursts out! It had shiny buckles and whatnot, so, as you must have figured out, this is the sheriff's horse! I was gettin' close! With new determination, I follow the trail. It ends in the smack-dab middle of the valley, and right there in the middle is a cave. Now, of all times, this is the moment that creepy story the braves told comes back to me. Holes with monsters in them, oh boy. But the darin' cowboy I am, I goes in, match in hand and revolver in the other. In this cave, there are these real handy stairs that go right down, carved a long time ago. I creep down them real stealthily. The stairs go on for a long time, and I start to run out of matches. Finally, at the end of another long, dark, windy tunnel, is this cavern. Way at the top are those stal-- stagmie-- stagermites? Whatever. And in the middle is an altar, covered in carvings. Scattered all around the altar are bones and skulls and candles. I was darn spooked, some crazy witchcraft happenin' here. But then I saw the sheriff!"

"About time..."

"Shuttup, Henry. As I was sayin', I saw the sheriff, all trussed up in the corner. Looked easy. But that's when I saw the outlaws. They were all camped up in the cavern, with tents and bags and stuff like that. It seemed like they were waiting for something. I hid up in the tunnel for a while, tryin' to plot out my course of attack. So when the big guy standin' in front of O'l Sheriff Weathers when to get some water, I snuck from my hidin' place. I kept up against the wall, edgin' my way over to the sheriff. You know how sneaky I am--"

"Like a drunk mule."

"Shut it Henry! You know, if you do this one more time, you've got to go. I am sneaky! I got all the way up to the sheriff, and I got out my pocketknife. As I was slicin' away at the rope, I hear some footsteps behind me and -BANG- I drop like a log. When I wake up, all of the outlaws are standin' over me, and I'm in no better shape than the sheriff! All of those dastardly no-goods had on matching cloaks, and they started to make a circle around the altar. I got dumped on the ground in front, back far enough from the bones so I didn't mess up their voodoo aesthetic. A true cowboy respects the aesthetic. Then while I watched, helpless, tied up, and a bit hungry by now, the outlaw-witches began to chant. It was low and whispery, so I couldn't hear very well at first, but then it became strikin'ly familiar. It was just like the creepy old hermit, out past Eldreda. Monotonous slurring chant, garbled words, and a fearsome rhythm. I broke out in a cold sweat. Then they lifted the sheriff onto the altar. Now that all us were by the candles, I could see the sheriff's face clear, and he did not look like the best of days. The poor feller was unconscious. The outlaws began to cut off the ropes and stretch out his limbs on the stone, still chanting in their low voices. They took off ol' Weather's jacket and unbuttoned his shirt, took off his boots and stockings... then they took out a crazy knife. It was jagged and pale, like it was carved from a bone. It probably was, now that I recall. The chanting got louder as the head outlaw stood at the head of the altar and held the knife over Weathers. There was nothin' I could do as the man raised the blade above his head while the voices got louder and louder, so I just shut my eyes.

"Then the chanting stopped. I thought I was dead, in all honesty. But I took a peek, and everyone was still there, just like before. I was too scared to speak, but then the head outlaw did. O Great Dtlorach-Qzetmar, accept our call and sacrifice. O Great Dtlorach-Qzetmar, we offer our blood for thee, and the blood of our enemy for thee. Come forth and reign! Sweet glory, I thought in those final moments. Then they all yelled together like some forsaken chorus and plunged the knife into poor ol' Weathers chest. The cave got suddenly cold. The head outlaw pulled the knife out, now crimson with blood, and let it drip onto the altar. One, two, three. That's how many drops. Then the outlaw slit his own wrist and added a drop of his own blood. Now, I don't think that's very smart, sharing knives, but it's not the worst thing goin' on here. Each outlaw stepped forward and added a drop of their blood. There was quite the puddle once they were finished. All of us were quiet as the outlaws returned to their positions in the circle. Nothing happened, but I felt a crawling up my spine. I dearly hoped it was not a scorpion. It was then I remembered the razor in my boot, which I fadangled out and began to discretely saw at the ropes. One of the outlaws look at his pocketwatch. 'It's time. The hour approaches.' The head outlaw nodded. I held my breath, and kept working at the rope. 

"It was like a breeze rushed through, and all of the candles went out. It was pure blackness. The color of pitch. I could taste it. One of the outlaws gasped, and I peeked open my eyes, which had somehow been closed. The altar was on fire, and all shimmery like the horizon on a summer's day. The ground began to shake, and rocks fell from the ceiling. It was at this moment that I cut through the rope and burst free. Providence was watching over me, because the outlaw next to me was knocked out by a stone. I made a dash for the tunnel, but I tripped, the ground shakin' and all. The altar collapsed into the ground, and the stone floor began to split in two. I looked at the crack, and if my eyes did not deceive me, smoke was risin' out of it. I don't know what became of those outlaws, because I was hightailin' it out of there after I saw the eyes. Oh yes, there were eyes. Two, red, bulging eyes peerin' at me from the darkness. You couldn't have gotten me to stay down there with ten shots of tequila! I ran as fast as I could, right out of that cave. When I got out, it was night, so I checked for my matches. Those criminals had snatched them. Luckily, I could see by the light of the stars, and I found the sheriff's horse to ride back on. And so gentlemen, that is how I saw the devil's face and ran."

"You are the drunkedest man I've ever met."

"Shut up Henry! I'm stone-cold sober. Every word of it is true."

"Forget about it. You're drunk, and everyone in the bar can tell you so. Now go home, Cooper."

"Alright, but take my word for it: dark things lurk up there in Elders' Pass."

I've been thinking of doing a story where the magic system is time travel, so a race of people have the ability to go back in time (but not forward) and change things. And how far they can go back depends on how much Time they can buy with these coins made from glass. The ability is linked to glass somehow, so if one of these people walk through a mirror or a window they can enter this dimension (for lack of a better word) to communicate with Time itself, and if they have enough glass objects on them, they can literally buy themselves Time to return to the past.

I'm trying to think of a way for this time-traveling to work though, and I have two ideas. One is that when you go back to the past, everything resets and you become your past self except for the knowledge you have of the future. The second is that you go back but you exist on a separate "plane of time" so-to-speak. You can interact with your past self, there's a chance people will see two versions of you, etc. Is there one type of travel that's used more commonly than the other? Or easier to do? I like the idea of a character who keeps running into their future self, so I think there's more chance for conflict with the second one. But I feel there would be less paradoxes with the first. Or if there's a method of time-travel I didn't mention, I'd love to hear about it!

@Truthweaver, I think the only way to avoid paradoxes is to say that you can't change the past. Everything is causality loops. It can still get extremely confusing, but at least you won't have to worry about constantly changing history or keeping track of multiple universes. If you want history-changes and parallel universes, it's best to not worry too much about paradoxes and logic.

And is it any glass, or is there a special magic glass? If so, would it be called Hourglass?

@Ookla the Apostate Yeah, as much as I love the concept of time-travel, when I really start to think about it, it makes my head hurt :P Right now I'm leaning toward a system where, when someone goes back, time itself resets to whatever time they went back and the future doesn't exist, leaving them a blank slate to make new choices.

For the glass, I think it can be any kind. You can sort of store time in pieces of glass called disks, and the amount of time you have stored equals how long you can go back in the past. Hourglass--nice :D

I'm working on a book titled Judgement for the Dead.

Its setting is basically Riyiria Revelations meets The Walking Dead (With a tiny bit of Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell mixed in for good measure).

To specify, it's medieval European fantasy... WITH ZOMBIES!!!

Spoiler

Okay, so basically, Geddan, the world in which Judgement for the Dead is set, is a semi-generic MEF (Medieval European Fantasy) world (though it is slightly colder than earth due to being slightly farther away from its sun). It is divided into three regions: the Southlands, the Northlands, and the Icelands (basically the uncivilized far north). It has been in medieval stasis for about 487 years due to various reasons.

50 years ago, the bodies of the recently deceased began returning to life and attacking the living (yes, they are zombies, like the ones on the Walking Dead). They were dubbed "the Risen", and actually didn't do that much damage (zombies wouldn't do that well in medieval Europe, population density was much lower, the weapons and vehicles were a lot quieter, and more people knew how to use weapons). then, 10 years later (40 years ago), a plague came through. It left the sparsely-populated Icelands almost completely untouched, dealt a large but reparable blow to the Northlands, and caused the collapse of the warm, fertile, densely-populated Southlands as they were overrun by the newly-deceased undead horde. Now, a world that knew  little change for 437 years is suddenly finding itself changing in new and often alarming ways.

Note: The risen aren't actually the only type of undead on Geddan. Ghosts, wights, and ghouls (among others) also exist, and are much stronger and smarter than the risen. They're also much rarer, and tend to mind their own business unless provoked.

If that brief summary wasn't enough, the next spoiler boxes contain stuff about politics and history (the first one) and magic (the second one).

Spoiler

History - Before the 437 years in which very little changed, there was and event called "the Severance". What the severance was has been lost to time (possibly in part due to the rumored efforts of the Church of the High Dawn, which refused to acknowledge that any such event ever happened), but it left a lasting legacy of superstitious fear of any new technologies or uses for magics. The Church of the High Dawn (a sort of fantasy-counterpart Catholic Church) took control of the Southlands roughly 10 years post-severance (by that time, civilization had mostly recovered), and had taken over the Northlands by 50 years post-severance. After that, very little changed (save the conquest of Ginskell roughly 230 years post-severance) until 50 years ago, when the risen first appeared. Borders changed, the names of the leaders changed, and sometimes the names of Northlander countries changed, but very few significant changes occurred. Fortunately, this trend of few changes and technological stagnation ended when the Southlands were overrun.

Regions - The known world of Geddan is divided into three regions: The Southlands, The Northlands, and the Icelands, with a massive mountain range to the east, the sea to the west and south, and uninhabitable (even for hardy Icelanders), unexplored arctic wasteland to the north.

The Southlands are the warm and fertile south in an otherwise tough, cold world. Pre-plague, they were the center of civilization and held the seat of power of The Church of the High Dawn. Unfortunately, being the center of civilization meant that the Southlands were the most densely populated region, which was ultimately their downfall. Their culture is loosely based on a combination of renaissance era Spain and Italy, with a little bit of France mixed in for good measure.

The Northlands were the barely-civilized northern region of the known world. They were known for frequent wars and a standoffish attitude, and were looked down on by Southlanders. They only grudgingly went along with the church's will, and retained their own holidays, traditions, expressions, and even a half-remembered second language (now refered to as "old Northlander" despite repeated attempts at cultural cleansing by the church. Now that the Southlands (and with them, the church) have fallen, the Northlanders have their much-anticipated freedom, and with it, the rather unwelcome and unanticipated position as the new center of civilization. It is notable that the post-plague Northlands is actually much more peaceful than the pre-plague Northlands, if only out of necessity. Now that the Southlands are overrun, many Southlanders fled north, only to find the same scorn and derision that they exhibited to pre-plague Northlanders directed at them, and added to by centuries of resentment caused by church control of the Northlands. In the post-plague Northlands, Southlanders (who are distinguishable by their slightly-darker-though-still-white-by-our-definition skin) are often called fernat (pronunced ferr-gnat), a derogatory term which, in Old Northlander, literally means "from nowhere". The Northlands are the largest of the three regions, though not by much, and their culture is loosely based on a mix of dark ages era-Germanic and English culture.

The Icelands are the uncivilized far-northern reaches of the inhabited world. Icelanders tend to live in small, isolated settlements, with only a few small cities to each Icelander nation's name. They have their own pagan belief system(s), three separate (though extremely similar) languages (very few Icelanders speak the common tongue), and generally keep to themselves save for the occasional raid. They were never conquered by the church (save Ginskell, which is now a Northlander nation). It is notable that all of their nations' names end with the suffix "skell". They were virtually unaffected both by the advent of the risen and the plague. They are based loosely on viking-era Scandinavia, only with isolationism and without ships.

Major (non-spoiler only) Organizations:

The Church of the High Dawn - The Church of the High Dawn is basically sort of like fantasy counterpart Catholicism, and was the religion that ruled most of the known world before the plague. It was interested in control of the world (minus the Icelands, which were considered more trouble than they were worth) and cultural unification. They ruled from an autonomous region in the Southlands; basically a single city, a few large towns, and a few square miles of rural land. The church fell with the rest of the Southlands, and now several splinter sects (each claiming to be the "true" Church of the High Dawn) squabble among themselves.

The Northlander Church - The Northlander Church is a splinter sect of the Church of the High Dawn, and also pretty much the only splinter sect to 1) Have any actual power, and 2) Not claim to be the "true" Church of the High Dawn (instead claiming to be what the Church of the High Dawn should have been). They are based on the bastardized version of the beliefs and ideology of the Church of the High Dawn that most Northlanders believe in. It is much less power-hungry, and also much more tolerant of things like grey essencewielding, technological advancement, homosexuality, and cultural diversity (though not everything about the Northlander Church is good, although nothing about it is in the official doctrine, many Northlander Church priests discriminate against Southlanders).

The Duskwatchers - The Duskwatchers are a group not affiliated with any nation or religion, though they are centered in the Northlands. They are sworn to hunt undead that pose a threat to humans (mostly hordes of risen, though the occasional wight or ghoul becomes a target) and to protect civilization. They are all grey essencewielders, trained from the age of seven in the arts of war, ways of the wilderness, and the use of their powers, and are a formidable foe to face. Though they command much respect in the Northlands, they are rarely arrogant, as they consider arrogance as a fatal flaw and spend most of their time on the road anyways (think of them like rangers from LotR with magical powers). Though they have a sigil, they are usually are identifiable by their black cloaks. They often have antisocial tendencies, a sad side-effect of spending so much time on the road.

Spoiler

Essencewielding is the magic of Geddan. It is based on the use of three separate magical energies: white essence, grey essence, and black essence, which are omnipresent, though more of one essence may be available in an area than another. Grey essence is the rarest and the most powerful, and black and white essence are of roughly equal power and rarity. To use any essence, one must have the innate ability to do so (a person can only have the ability to use one essence, there are no mistessencewielders), and must have either learned (either on their own or with the help of an instructor) how to wield it or have had it come naturally to them when the time was right. There are two types of essencewielding: holding and manipulating. Holding is the easiest and always the first of the two learned, as it is literally just drawing the essence into oneself and holding it until you either release it or it leaks out due to various reasons. Manitulation is harder, and is sort of like weaving with the One Power in the Wheel of Time. I should also inform you that which essence you use has no effect on your moral or ethical decisions or mental state. Your will is still you own, as are your decisions.

White Essence - White essence is the magical energy of creation, life, and preservation. It is universally accepted by every known religion and culture. When held, it slowly leaks, heals you of any wounds you sustain (leaking faster while healing you), staves off physical fatigue, and increases your endurance (though you still have to sleep). It can be held while asleep, though not while one is knocked unconscious (by things such a head trauma). The easiest manipulations include healing the living, harming the undead, and creating light. Harder manipulations include healing the undead, harming the living, and controlling the elements. Holding can either be learned or come naturally. Manipulation cannot come naturally and must be learned.

Grey Essence - Grey essence is the essence of balance, of creation that breeds destruction and destruction that breeds creation. It is accepted by Icelanders and the Northlander Church, but the Church of the High Dawn viewed it is exactly the same thing as black essence, and thus (in their minds) inherently wrong to use, and many Southlanders view it with superstitious fear and hatred. When held, it usually does not leak, heals you if you are wounded (which causes it to leak until it is finishes healing you), and increases reflex speed and physical strength, dexterity, and endurance, as well as dispelling fatigue (though you still need to sleep). It cannot be held while asleep or unconscious. The easiest manipulations include controlling the elements, making yourself or others able to see better in bright or dim light, and curing oneself of a risen bite (though it is impossible to cure another of a risen bite using grey essence). Harder manipulations include directly healing or harming another person (living or undead) and directly creating or destroying things. Holding can either be learned or come naturally. Manipulation cannot be learned and must come naturally.

Black Essence - Black essence is the much-stigmatized essence of entropy, destruction, and decay. It is accepted by Icelanders but viewed as evil by both Northlanders and Southlanders, although, to their credit, Northlanders believe in killing only black essencewielders that use their powers instead of killing them all. When held, it does not leak, and increases reflex speed and physical strength, dexterity, and endurance, as well as staving off physical fatigue (though still need to sleep), however, if held for too long, it will damage the essencewielder's body, and the more you hold, the shorter the time until it gets dangerous is and the more damage it deals once it gets dangerous. It can be held whether awake, asleep, or unconscious. The easiest manipulations include harming both living and undead, curing risen bites (both in oneself and others), and creating darkness. Harder manipulations include healing both the living and undead and controlling the elements. Holding cannot be learned and must come naturally, but manipulation cannot come naturally and must be learned.

And now for the plot:

Spoiler

Endon fer Cendar is a Duskwatcher recently into his 17th year (yes, he is only 17 years old), and has so far lived a relatively unremarkable life for one of his skills and profession. However, after he saves a minor Instrom nobleman's caravan from suspiciously well-equipped and well-trained bandits, this changes, as he is drawn into a world of intrigue, politics, war, and conspiracy, and his actions suddenly mean a whole lot more than they did before...

Sorry, it sounds a lot better in my head.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:15 PM, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

I'm working on a book titled Judgement for the Dead.

This sounds rad, one possible suggestion would be to add another parrallel magic system and maybe call it something along the lines of Polychromatic ______ (touch, focus, burst)??

Maybe it's practiced by an esoteric sect of Monks that live off of the coast of the frostlands, something to contrast with the Monochromatic paradigm of the magic of Essencewielding.

I think this story has great potential, it's a very good setup.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

@hoiditthroughthegrapevine I'm sorry, that wouldn't work, but thanks for the advice, it's actually pretty good. The reason it wouldn't work is that the colors don't have as much to do with it as the creation/destruction duality and balance and stuff. The colors are just the way the essences manifest in the physical world.

@The Allomantic Metalhead I got that the essences were about balance and not necessarily about the color of the magic. If this is a self contained book that is only going to be a single volume, then there's probably no need for a parrallel magic system, with the worldbuilding, politics, invading undead hordes you'd have more than enough ground to cover in a single book. But if you envision this as a multi-volume series, laying the groundwork for a parallel magic system in the first volume might be a good idea, and the physical manifestation of the parallel magic system being drastically different would make for good contrast. The other magic system could be a derivative application of the same fundamental forces, but with a different physical presentation.

I do like the setup a lot, Gothic horror fantasy. And the magic system sounds awesome too, this is just totally along the lines of thinking about the long game, if you are planning this to be multi-volume series that is.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

2 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

@The Allomantic Metalhead I got that the essences were about balance and not necessarily about the color of the magic. If this is a self contained book that is only going to be a single volume, then there's probably no need for a parrallel magic system, with the worldbuilding, politics, invading undead hordes you'd have more than enough ground to cover in a single book. But if you envision this as a multi-volume series, laying the groundwork for a parallel magic system in the first volume might be a good idea, and the physical manifestation of the parallel magic system being drastically different would make for good contrast. The other magic system could be a derivative application of the same fundamental forces, but with a different physical presentation.

I do like the setup a lot, Gothic horror fantasy. And the magic system sounds awesome too, this is just totally along the lines of thinking about the long game, if you are planning this to be multi-volume series that is.

Thanks!

Holy crap @The Allomantic Metalhead I just read in your profile that you were born in 2002, your writing is freaking amazing! You totally have time to polish your story, the outline is freaking amazing, and given the creativity that I have seen from you in the Nightwatcher boon/curse game you are well on your way to being a truly talented writer/story teller. Great work!

18 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Holy crap @The Allomantic Metalhead I just read in your profile that you were born in 2002, your writing is freaking amazing! You totally have time to polish your story, the outline is freaking amazing, and given the creativity that I have seen from you in the Nightwatcher boon/curse game you are well on your way to being a truly talented writer/story teller. Great work!

Thanks! My family says that all the time, although I find that I'm much better at worldbuilding than creating a plot...

Anyways, I think the only thing in the way of me becoming a published author (other than writer's block and my age, of course) is my short attention span. I hope my attention span is one of those things that gets better with age.