Is she eing set up for failure?

Oltux72

Sorry for beginning this with a big fat spoiler space

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

Marasi told us that historically the lower classes are more resistant to change than the middle classes.

And Shadow of Self is actually called an exception to the rule

So I am wondering whether Brandon is planning for a subversion of the trope of the modernizing queen. In short is Jasnah heading for a huge disappointment and failure with her modernization? In fact in terms of historic equivalents she reminds me of Joseph II of Austria and Peter the Great of Russia. Among her advisors Hoid is encouraging her. That looks like an early warning sign to me. Hoid in an important sense is no longer fully human. Nobody who is pushing five thousand years could be. What do you think?

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

So I am wondering whether Brandon is planning for a subversion of the trope of the modernizing queen. In short is Jasnah heading for a huge disappointment and failure with her modernization? In fact in terms of historic equivalents she reminds me of Joseph II of Austria and Peter the Great of Russia. Among her advisors Hoid is encouraging her. That looks like an early warning sign to me. Hoid in an important sense is no longer fully human. Nobody who is pushing five thousand years could be. What do you think?

I think that Jasnah is aware of the difficulty she's facing. She has the advantaged of chaos from the desolation and return of the KR, which will help. I don't know if her modernization attempts will be successful, but I also don't know if she will survive KoW. I don't see Hoid's support as a problem. He might not be fully human, but that doesn't mean he has no understanding of human nature. He probably understands humanity better than almost any actual human.

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Nobody who is pushing five thousand years could be.

It's at least double that

8 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

In fact in terms of historic equivalents she reminds me of Joseph II of Austria and Peter the Great of Russia.

If we want an attempt at reformation that ends terribly I think Alexander II is probably the best eample.

12 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Sorry for beginning this with a big fat spoiler space

(Scadrial)

Reveal hidden contents

Marasi told us that historically the lower classes are more resistant to change than the middle classes.

And Shadow of Self is actually called an exception to the rule

First, could you kindly put the b in being in the title please, it's bothering me

Secondly, Jasnah is trying to take advantage of the fact everyone, lower and higher classes, are going to be open to change due to all the major events, so she may be aware of the possible resistance which is why she is doing it now rather than later, especially with something like slaves, which the removal of will affect both classes in negative ways. So she may be able to succeed, however, it wouldn't be too surprising to see her getting some backlash. She is Jasnah, after all, a human personification of a lightning rod of hate by possibly a quarter of the population of Roshar. They will make reasons to be pissed.