Nightblood

I think I found a pretty good piece of evidence for Nightblood being a form of anti-Investiture

In Rhythm of War, from Vasher

“These enemies of yours though, I think they’re too strong for that. They’ve lasted thousands of years already, and seem Connected to Odium to feed directly on his power. You’ll have to find a way to disrupt their souls. You can’t just rip them apart; you need a weapon so strong, it unravels the soul.” He squinted, looking off into the distance. “I know through sorry experience those kinds of weapons are very dangerous to make, and never seem to work right.”

So Vasher sounds like he's describing Nightblood here.  "a weapon so strong, it unravels the soul".  Then I thought this sounded familiar.

Lezian's death:

“He plunged the knife down as the Pursuer struggled.  And his soul ripped itself apart” 

So Lezian's death is described as his soul ripping itself apart, and Vasher seems to think that Nightblood is a weapon that unravels the soul.  Obviously this isn't confirmation, but I think this is a very strong piece of evidence pointing to Nightblood being some kind of weapon of anti-Investiture.

What does that imply about the different forms of anti investiture? Like for nightblood to actually kill a fused does it need to feed off of voidlight to make the anti-voidlight?  Or does it create some sort of universal anti investiture?

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Nightblood likely isn't anti-investiture, it's effects are destruction on all three realms, just a shardblades cut on all three realms. There isn't an explosion when it connects with something etc.

It's been stated in a WoB that Nightblood contains some of Ruin's Investiture.

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

Nightblood likely isn't anti-investiture, it's effects are destruction on all three realms, just a shardblades cut on all three realms. There isn't an explosion when it connects with something etc.

Every anti-Investiture weapon we've seen so far hasn't resulted in explosions, so that argument doesn't really hold up.  Also, as far as we know, anti-Investiture does destroy on all three realms.  Considering that it literally destroys Investiture, I'd be inclined to believe that it does.  Jezrien is dead.  His body, mind, and spirit are gone.

4 minutes ago, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

Every anti-Investiture weapon we've seen so far hasn't resulted in explosions, so that argument doesn't really hold up.  Also, as far as we know, anti-Investiture does destroy on all three realms.  Considering that it literally destroys Investiture, I'd be inclined to believe that it does.  Jezrien is dead.  His body, mind, and spirit are gone.

That is not true, first off his body is still there, and second Jezrien wasn't killed with anti-investiture. third off two of the five times Anti-investiture has been used have resulted in explosions, due to them occuring under pressure, if the reaction took place inside NIghtblood it would cause an explosion.

Nightblood isn't Anti-Investiture. He (it? she?) steals it from those he contacts. He eats it, accumulates it.

By WoB:

Questioner

Is Nightblood a minor Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the cosmere that is not a Shard.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

Questioner

So, if Nightblood is on Roshar, is he using Stormlight instead of Breaths?

Brandon Sanderson

Right now, if you are Invested with Stormlight, he will feed off of that instead of Breaths.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

Mason Wheeler

Nightblood is the most ridiculously over-invested thing in the Cosmere, second only to the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Mason Wheeler

Was this true from the moment of his creation, or did it grow in power over time.

Brandon Sanderson

Grew in power over time. Kind of answers a question that people have been wondering. But, yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

If he was made of Anti-Investiture, trying to consume all of Odium would have destroyed him. Instead, he was glutted.

The tearing apart of souls is, I think, due to the consumption of their Investiture. Anti-Voidlight destroys it, Nightblood steals it; either way, the soul doesn't have it anymore.

On 14.05.2021 at 7:09 AM, Honorless said:

But Nightblood eats Investiture, why would that be then? 

Nightblood isnt only thing what eats Investiture. Larkins eats Investiture, as well as some specific Hordelings. Leechers disperse Investiture.

35 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

Nightblood isnt only thing what eats Investiture. Larkins eats Investiture, as well as some specific Hordelings. Leechers disperse Investiture.

I'd put aluminium in that list, too, that can also block Investiture. Heck, even Investiture blocks Investiture (being Invested makes it more difficult for other Invested Arts to affect you)

And none of them use Anti-Investiture as far as we know.

We don't know what effect Nightblood is using exactly, too little info. Anti-Investiture made me think of Nightblood too initially, but I don't think he's using that, he's... something else. A maximum density of Investiture that has collapsed in on itself like a black hole or something equally ridiculous probably.

Edited by Honorless

One thing metal and anti investiture works wierd(honestly metal and investiture works wierd works on it's own).

Raysium was used to kill Raboniel/daughter with anti-voidlight and it did not immediately blow up.(now once the point of contact out of it, it might have)

But this tells us that either Raysium is different than the other God metals, or anti investiture auto blow up the opposite God metal. I would like someone to ask Brandon about this, it seems like a little plot hole to me if he didn't intend it this way.

So it might be possible that Night blood could be anti-investiture. If it is, what kind of anti-investiture could it be? 

And what would be the right terminology for an anti-invested thing/being? Anti-invested? Anvested?(I think I like this one the best, this shorter)

23 minutes ago, apepi said:

But this tells us that either Raysium is different than the other God metals, or anti investiture auto blow up the opposite God metal. I would like someone to ask Brandon about this, it seems like a little plot hole to me if he didn't intend it this way.

I think you mean "doesn't blow up the corresponding metal" And the answer is probably the same as why you can push on Atium, once investiture beomces metal the rules start breaking down.

24 minutes ago, apepi said:

And what would be the right terminology for an anti-invested thing/being? Anti-invested? Anvested?(I think I like this one the best, this shorter)

I think Divested would be the term

On 23/05/2021 at 2:36 AM, apepi said:

Third option: the solid-fluid version of the reaction is just slower than the fluid-fluid one