“A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.”

This one could refer to Dalinar's story up to now. Remembering the burning of Rathalas perhaps or the battle on the Shattered Plains. Could be the fall of Alethkar or perhaps Herdaz. Could be multiple events conflated. Mentions child, might be related to the suckling babe Death Rattle? 

“I’m cold. Mother, I’m cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop?”

Sounds like the Weeping? Or hearing a Rhythm that sounds similar to rain maybe? Could refer to the Everstorm 

“They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn. …”

We know from Raboniel that this refers to the Voidbringers or the human refugees from Ashyn

“The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather!”

This might also refer to the taking of Urithiru. The failing of Lights could also refer to the anti-Surge fabrial or the Anti-Lights, I think. People swear by the Stormfather often on Roshar.

“I have seen the end, and have heard it named. The Night of Sorrows, the True Desolation. The Everstorm.”

The True Desolation is here, the Everstorm is here, but what is the Night of Sorrows?

“I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw.”

No idea on this one, though I definitely do not like the child Champion theory. Could be metaphorical for killing innocents, Taravangian's actions perhaps? It could refer to the Godspren who're not necessarily good but innocent in a way. If Dalinar fails, he might choose to not give Odium a Bondsmith

Narratively, asking the Stormfather to be merciful has happened twice: with Kaladin & Dalinar. One could also, sort of, count the instance of the Highstorm & Everstorm clashing over the Shattered Plains as a similar portend. This does feel like it's leading up to something.

24 minutes ago, Honorless said:

This one could refer to Dalinar's story up to now. Remembering the burning of Rathalas perhaps or the battle on the Shattered Plains. Could be the fall of Alethkar or perhaps Herdaz. Could be multiple events conflated. Mentions child, might be related to the suckling babe Death Rattle? 

Now that I'm thinking of it, does Roshar even have water tables?

We know from Raboniel that this refers to the Voidbringers or the human refugees from Ashyn

Humans were burned not burning, this is more likely about the Division Fused

21 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Now that I'm thinking of it, does Roshar even have water tables?

Humans were burned not burning, this is more likely about the Division Fused

It has been discussed a few times and most people think that it does, probably mostly into subterranean caverns, like we see under Urithiru, Aimia, wherever the water from the Purelake retreats. Rock is porous too, water can seep through. Lack of a water table wouldn't have affected them much with the regular Highstorms and the reservoirs & non-perennial? (okay, Earth terminology kind of breaks here. They wouldn't have monsoon rivers but they should definitely have rivers fuelled only by the regular Highstorms) streams it fills up.

I wouldn't look at the tenses as descriptive of time in this instance. Skin aflame, bringing the darkness sounds very much like Ashynites.

• 1 month later...

Another bit on this topic: the Stormfather's conversation with Eshonai, where he argues he maybe should be doing more:

Thank you, she said to the Rider.

I DID NOTHING. I WATCHED YOU FALL AND DID NOT STOP IT.

The rain cannot stop the bloodshed, she said, fading. But it washes the world afterward anyway. Thank you.

I COULD HAVE DONE MORE, the Rider replied. PERHAPS I SHOULD HAVE.

It … is enough.…

NO, he said. I CAN GIVE YOU ONE FINAL GIFT.

(I wonder if this is why he was willing to consider Kaladin's request in Oathbringer, because he very recently had been struggling with the same debate, despite his outward steadfastness he usually displays.)

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hey, a fun little quote I forgot about because it's right before the final Eshonai chapter and that kind of took my focus for that section:

You were wise to give the Windrunner more time during his fall, the Stormfather said, approaching Dalinar. You were wise to show … mercy.

“It’s an important concept to learn,” Dalinar said to him. “The more you study it, the more human you will become.” 

I do not wish to become human, the Stormfather said. But perhaps I can learn. Perhaps I can change.

“That’s all it takes,” Dalinar said. “A willingness.”

Yeaaaap, he's definitely choosing differently next book.