Masquerade - These Masks We Wear

Zephrun’s Imperium

On 9/9/2021 at 0:52 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Ivian followed, silently praying that he wouldn't have any more visitors tonight.

The advisor stopped at a seemingly innocuous section of hallway and tapped out a rhythm on the stones. He paused for a few moments, nodded, and continued at a brisk pace.

On 9/11/2021 at 0:39 PM, Zephrun's Imperium said:

"I will, I promise." She smirked. "I have Fischer, after all. Now, go off and do... general-y things."

"Of course," Caden said with a glance at Fischer. "Take care of of her."

Fischer nodded, not mentioning that he had said that before. 

Tha general took in a hesitant breath, and stepped out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Riva applauded uproariously. “Oh, very to the point! I love it!” She giggled - although from her withered wind pipes, out of her sunken face, it was more of a cackle. “Im doing this because you’re very cute, love. And fascinating. I am more than aware that my husband is not a normal human male specimen.”
Fischer furrowed his brow, certain General Praetorium's wife was trying to make advances on him. "What's wrong with the general?"
“Oh, nothing! He’s just…. More extraordinary than you. Taller, more muscular. A little slow in the head, yes, but…. My point it, you’re more…. Average.”
"Average." Fischer shook his head, "I can tell you that I'm definitely not average, ma'am Ravenness."
“And why is that?” Riva dipped a quill in some ink to take notes. “You seem awfully average to me.”
Fischer opened his mouth before biting his tongue. "Uh, I mean that I'm the youngest ever to be accepted into the general's guard."
“Oooo impressive.”
"Yes, thank you."
“Of course…” she scribbled some words down. “Do tell me more about you.”
"I-" He paused. "Are you writing this stuff down?"
“I am.”
"Why the blazes would you do that?"
“It is as I said. I’m not around normal humans often."
"Well, you said you wanted a normal conversation, right?" Fischer stepped forward, forgetting that she was the Ravenness to peek over her shoulder. "Because that's not something people do in normal conversations."
"I... I may take notes." She glared at him. "You can't forbid me. I simply want to learn more."
"Of course not," he said while lifting his hands defensively. "I just meant that normally people make more eye contact to show that they're paying attention."
Riva locked eyes with him. 
Fischer returned the stare just as intently for a moment before blinking and shaking his head. "No, not like that."
"Bah, never mind."
"I just said more eye contact," he reiterated in a defensive tone.
"But I'm taking notes!" She gestured at the paper. Then, she stomped her foot and crumpled the thing up, tossing it aside. "Oh, what do I care, I can take notes on you later."

Edited by Zephrun's Imperium

Fischer returned the stare just as intently for a moment before blinking and shaking his head. "No, not like that."
"Bah, never mind."
"I just said more eye contact," he reiterated in a defensive tone.
"But I'm taking notes!" She gestured at the paper. Then, she stomped her foot and crumpled the thing up, tossing it aside. "Oh, what do I care, I can take notes on you later."
Fischer shook his head, not understanding. "You're a strange person. Uh, Mrs Preatorium?"
“Yes, child?”
"Do you like being called that, or would you prefer Ravenness?"
“Why can’t you call me Riva? It’s my name. You ought to call me by my name.”
Fischer shifted uncomfortably. "I uh, don't think that would be right for a woman of your station."
She rolled her eyes. “I’ve been relieved of duty. I’m nothing but an old hag.” There was no small amount of bitterness in her words.
Fischer shook his head, "you'll always be the Ravenness, ma'am Riva. On top of that, you're also married to my boss."
She sighed. “Fair enough. Anyway, what are you called? Fischer is your surname, yes?”
"Just Fischer, ma'am."
“No surname then?”
"That's my surname, ma'am."
“Well then, what’s your first name? What do our friends call you?”
"They call me Fischer, ma'am."
She rolled her eyes. “And is that…. Average?”
"I don't think so." He shrugged, "least I've never seen anyone else do that."
“Fascinating. And how old are you?”
"More information for your notes?"
“Yes, Fischer.”
"I'm twenty years old, then." He cleared his throat. "Is that a surprise?"
She shrugged. “I suppose it should be, since you’re the youngest of Cady’s soldiers.”
"Uh, Cady?"
“Yes, my husband. Your boss, or don’t you remember?”
"No, I've just never heard him called that before."
“I’ve only called him Cady once…. But I like it.”
"Oh, uh, did he?"
“We we’re not in love at the time. It was meant to mock. Add ‘ie’ or ‘y’ to anything and it becomes funny. Ey, Fishie?”
"I don't think I like that." Fischer smirked, "Rivie."
She laughed. “Oh yes! Rivie indeed!”
Fischer chuckled softly despite himself. "You're definitely odd. Which raises the question, how did you ever get my boss to love you?"
“Well it was NOT a love potion; such a thing is impossible. No, Caden loves me because I…” she trailed off. “He…. We… why does he love me?”
Fischer shrugged, sitting down. "You tell me. Long as I've known, all the guys said that the general hated the idea of love. So maybe it took an odd woman to change that?"
“Well it has something to do with the night of the ball. A month ago.”
"I remember hearing that something went down, then."
“He was crying, see. I wanted to kill him while he was weak because he’d hit me earlier, but… I saw something in him that night. I couldn’t bear to kill him. So I spend the night consoling him. And whaddya know, we made love the next morning.” She chuckled at the memory, lost in it. “Let me tell you. That man’s….” Then she trailed off. “Maybe you don’t want to hear about your boss’s sexual exploits.”
Fischer raised his hands. "Please don't go into the details, I see enough as is."
“See enough? How so? Does he talk about me often?” Riva was on the edge of her seat, evidently excited by the memory of her first night with her husband.
"Uh," Fischer looked away. "Yes, sure. He does." He cleared his throat, the poorly constructed lie leaving a taste of bile in his throat.

“Terrible liar! Tell me the truth, dear, and I might not have to RIP IT OUT OF YOU!” She smiled amiably.
Fischer jumped back in his chair, lifting his fists defensively in shock at her shouting. "That's- No, it's . . . Unrelated."
“I require an explanation.”
"I won't give it."
“The Raveness requires it.” She bobbed her head and her feather swayed
He raised his brow, "I thought you got released from that title."
“And I thought you said it would always be mine. Anyway. I’m guessing you have your own exploits you don’t want anyone to know about. What’s her name? What does she look like?”
"I-" He paused, deciding it was better to lie. "Her name is Penelope, and she's uh, very pretty."
“If you want to lie to the Raveness, you certainly have guts, I will give you that much.”
"Who said I was lying?"
“I did. It’s kind of my job; getting the truth out.”
He looked away from her, "right."
“Indeed. So. You don’t have a companion of your own. Are you, perhaps, covering for someone?”
"What do you mean 'covering for someone?'" Fischer asked indignantly.
“You have a friend who's having an affair no one needs to know about.”
"Nope, not that."
“Then tell me, I do so hate guessing games when I’m wrong.”
"I'm not interested," Fischer decided to say.
“And I’m not interested in saving your friend on my table, yet here we are.”
"Hold on, he saved your life!"
“That doesn’t mean it’s interesting to watch him die.”
"If you let him die, then I-"
“I will not let him die, son. But he will die. I can’t do anything more than prolong his death.”
Fischer ground his teeth. "You said you could help him."
“I am helping him. Is keeping him alive not helping? I had a potion that could heal him, but I used the last of it to heal my hip after… after Caden threw me.”
"I- What?"
“Yes, he threw me. We hated each other, is it really so surprising?”
"You di- Can't you just brew up another one or something? You're the potion brewer."
“It takes weeks to create. Weeks our soldier here doesn’t have.”
"There must be something you can do."
“I’m doing it.”
"That can't be it," Fischer protested again. "There must be something else you can do!"
“You think I don’t want to return the favor of saving his life?” Riva stood. “That man had absolutely no reason to save me other than pure loyalty.”
Fischer stood up, glaring at her. "You're blazing right! If not for you, he wouldn't be dying right now."
Riva adopted the stance of a woman who knew she was in control. No longer did she seem like a slightly crazy old woman trying to learn the intricacies of social interaction. “Hold your tongue, boy. You chose to save my life. I am still a woman of great power; implying you’d rather have let me die doesn’t seem like a wise option.”
The young man grit his teeth, and matched her stance. Though his superiors had often tried to discipline it out of him, he stood resolutely against the Raveness. "If it were trading you for him, then it wouldn't have been much of a choice."
“And how would your master feel if he heard you say those words? Who else might you trade for my life? He’s rooting out the unworthy now, obviously. Maybe your neck needs to be set for execution.”
"That's not what I-" Fischer growled, "while I value your life greatly, I value his greatly as well. But it's more personal with him."

“Of course. But choose your words carefully from now on.”
Fischer narrowed his eyes at her before hesitantly sitting back down.
"Oh, cheer up, dear. You're alive to protect me and that's what really matters."
"You could make this easier, you know."
"By doing what, pray tell?"
"The general did suggest not talking with me."
“But I’m so bored!” she complained.
Fischer tilted his head, "you don't like silence or something?"
"I just don't want to pass up the opportunity to get to know someone... normal."
"Uh huh." Fischer leaned back into his chair. "I guess it's not every day you get to learn about the Ravenness."
"And it's not every day I get to interact with someone who isn't my husband and isn't strapped to a table."
"Thanks, I guess."
"Of course." She tapped her fingers against the table nervously. "I... I'm sorry your friend won't last. I wish I could do more."
Fischer paused, "there's nothing more you can do?"
"He should be dead now, but the potion will keep him alive for a few more days."
"Is there-" He shook his head before turning away from Riva. "I . . . See."
"I made light of it earlier, but I really do appreciate being saved. No one has ever cared enough to protect me before."
Fischer forced himself to take in a deep breath. "He's really going to die," he stated as if he couldn't believe it.
"Yes. People are quite good at doing that."
"Don't you feel bad about it?"
She shrugged. "I just told you; I really do appreciate being saved."
"But you caused death. People love and care for that man, and he loves and cares for others. All of a sudden, he won't be there for them."
"Son, I've caused more pain than anyone you've ever met in my century of life. Forgive me if I'm a little numb."
Fischer sighed, "you're a strange person, Mrs Riva."
"Oh, I'm perfectly aware, trust me."
"What will you do, if you can't save him?"
"'If.'" She scoffed at the word. "There is no if. He will die."
"Right..."
"Do you, perhaps, need a... hug?" Riva picked at her nails, shoulders towards her ears. She did NOT want to hug him.
Fischer coughed suddenly. "Excuse me, what?"
"People like hugs. Apparently."
"I know what hugs are, I just didn't expect you to say . . . That."
She shrugged awkwardly.
Fischer looked away, clearing his throat. "Are you uh, still offering?"
She blushed. "Yes?"
Fischer stood up. "Then I would be honored to accept."
"Oh." She bit her lip, disappointed. But she did get up out of her seat and outstretch her arms.
Fischer stepped forward and gripped her tightly, using the motion to hide the burning tears that came. "Thank you," he whispered.
She opened her mouth, then closed it like a fish. "You're... welcome?" She patted his muscular back with her thin fingers. Was this what motherhood felt like?
Fischer held on for a moment longer before hesitantly stepping away. "You're not what I expected for the Raveness, ma'am."
"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow. "What did you expect?"
"Uh, not someone offering me a hug, for sure."
"Just an experiment," she mumbled. "Touching people..."
Fischer nodded, "whatever you say, ma'am."