God Alloys of Lerasium

1AdolfoJose1

One of the theories surrounding Lerasium, that when it’s alloyed with another God Metal, they created a new Metallic Art. A mix of Preservation and another Shard, similar to Feruchemy. 

How do you believe these new Metallic Arts would function? Not what individual powers they grant, but how they use the metals. 

Preservation/Endowment: The user can Invest a metal with a power, which power depends on the type of metal they Invested. They then gift this metal to another individual for them to use, since the Invested person cannot use the metal themselves once Invested, because the Identity inside the metal locks them out. However if the user is also a Feruchemist, they can blank their Identity while Investing a metal they can then use the power within. If they practice the other Metallic Arts, they can Invest the metal with abilities from those Arts( Mental Speed, Steelpushing). 

This one WoB seems to imply that by mixing Lerasium with another god metal, you could end up with the power of that other shard, not some mix:

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

Though who knows what different things MIGHT be possible. I don't know how that would work with Endowment anyway. Would you just get a bunch of Breath?

Edited by datalaughing

4 minutes ago, datalaughing said:

This one WoB seems to imply that by mixing Lerasium with another god metal, you could end up with the power of that other shard, not some mix:

Though who knows what different things MIGHT be possible. I don't know how that would work with Endowment anyway. Would you just get a bunch of Breath?

Depending on the relative Investiture content (and Lerasium beads are rare enough to be pretty dense), you might become something like a Returned.  Lerasium is confirmed to permanently rewrite your spiritweb, perhaps mixing it with enough Endowment would model you into one of her Chosen.

16 minutes ago, datalaughing said:

I wouldn’t call that a confirmation, it was extremely vague. 

I based this on the fact that Feruchemy is a mix of Preservation and Ruin, if you were to alloy Lerasium and Atium you won’t become a Hemalurgist, anyone can do Hemalurgy if they know how. 

19 minutes ago, Quantus said:

perhaps mixing it with enough Endowment would model you into one of her Chosen.

lol, imagine mixing it with Raysium and boom, you're now a Fused. Jokes aside, I think in this case, maybe all the Investiture would get converted into Breaths

1 minute ago, 1AdolfoJose1 said:

if you were to alloy Lerasium and Atium you won’t become a Hemalurgist, anyone can do Hemalurgy if they know how. 

Hey, maybe that's how they get Feruchemy! (Like Lerasium can give you Allomancy, there had to be a method to become a Feruchemist! Well, not had, but it's confirmed that there's a non-spiky way!)

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

Jokes aside, I think in this case, maybe all the Investiture would get converted into Breaths

Hey, maybe that's how they get Feruchemy! (Like Lerasium can give you Allomancy, there had to be a method to become a Feruchemist! Well, not had, but it's confirmed that there's a non-spiky way!)

This raises the question of, what is the "Investiture conversion rate". How much Stormlight equals one breath? Can using allomancy, or compounded feruchemy produce breaths?

Kurkistan

How much wealth, approximately, does it take to buy enough Breaths for the Fifth Heightening? Like buying a house, buying a ma-

Brandon Sanderson

Ooh, okay. This is going to wait for official--

Argent

Oh for that project.

Brandon Sanderson

Well I put some people on it, let's just say, so wait until we have the official project telling your conversion rates and then you'll be able to answer that theoretically once we get that all down.

Kurkistan

Just in terms of wealth on Nalthis? Like money?

Brandon Sanderson

It would take a large amount of wealth.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

I would have thought that alloying Lerasium would make you a seer, because that is what happens when you alloy Lerasium with a normal metal, it makes you into a misting, but it makes sense that it would become something new.

16 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

I would have thought that alloying Lerasium would make you a seer, because that is what happens when you alloy Lerasium with a normal metal, it makes you into a misting, but it makes sense that it would become something new.

In case anyone needs a refresher, a Seer is an Atium Misting.

Yeah, I think we all assumed that but technically we've only seen people Snapping as Atium Mistings courtesy of Preservation's Mists

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

TWG Posts (March 23, 2010)

Edited by Honorless

18 minutes ago, Honorless said:

lol, imagine mixing it with Raysium and boom, you're now a Fused. Jokes aside, I think in this case, maybe all the Investiture would get converted into Breaths

That doesnt sound right for Lerasium to me, just because it's not acting on the burner's Spiriweb the way Lerasium is otherwise supposed to. 

I could very much see that being how Endowment's Godmetal worked (ie Entirely reformatting the other Shard's investiture into her's, as an Endowment of power).

5 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That doesnt sound right for Lerasium to me, just because it's not acting on the burner's Spiriweb the way Lerasium is otherwise supposed to. 

I could very much see that being how Endowment's Godmetal worked (ie Entirely reformatting the other Shard's investiture into her's, as an Endowment of power).

Hmm... point

That right there might be the difference between Lerasium alloyed with Edglium and Edglium alloyed with Lerasium, or the relative percentages of the two godmetals (kinda like all the different Shardblades of different Orders' spren)