Chinkoln

Why do the Fused fight? They want to reclaim the land from the humans, but what is the end goal. Are the Fused going to live on Roshar? Are the Fused going to live with the singers? Are the Fused going to enter the Beyond and leave the land for the singers? What is their motivation?

4 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

Why do the Fused fight? They want to reclaim the land from the humans, but what is the end goal. Are the Fused going to live on Roshar? Are the Fused going to live with the singers? Are the Fused going to enter the Beyond and leave the land for the singers? What is their motivation?

Well, officially, the Fused fight to defeat the humans and allow the singers to rule themselves, but in reality, many of them fight to destroy the humans. After they win, some might pass on, but I think the majority would stay to rule the parshmen or continue to fight for Odium.

Different of them have different motivations. The general idea, I believe, is that they fight to win the war, wipe out the humans, and secure Roshar for the singers. The Fused would then likely die. Some of them, I suspect, instead wish to rule once the war is done. Some are fighting only for revenge. And some, like Raboniel, are just fighting so that it can finally be over.

One thing that I really loved about this book is that it made the Fused individuals, instead of a faceless horde of baddies. And, like all groups of individuals, you can't sum all their motivations up so simply.

On 1/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, Karger said:

In OB Venli questions one of the fused about this and they respond by saying that they will give up and rest once the humans are dead.

On 1/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, Rushu42 said:

Different of them have different motivations. The general idea, I believe, is that they fight to win the war, wipe out the humans, and secure Roshar for the singers. The Fused would then likely die. Some of them, I suspect, instead wish to rule once the war is done. Some are fighting only for revenge. And some, like Raboniel, are just fighting so that it can finally be over.

One thing that I really loved about this book is that it made the Fused individuals, instead of a faceless horde of baddies. And, like all groups of individuals, you can't sum all their motivations up so simply.

23 hours ago, mathiau said:

Leshwi mentioned some fused forgot why they fight and kind of fight before they've fought for millennia, Leshwi herself fight to give a land to the singers.

Yes, all of this. The only thing I have to add is Zahel's comment to Kaladin on cognitive shadow's like himself and the Fused becoming more and more controlled by their intent overtime (RoW Ch. 15). I take that to mean the Intent of the investiture their soul was infused/replaced with. 

Zahel is of Endowment who is all about giving things to others. He eventually became a member of the Ardentia who are slaves that can't own property. He literally gave away all his possessions by doing this. His job in recent years is that of an instructor giving his knowledge to the people who legally own him in exchange for subsistence living. 

The Fused souls are made of Odium's investiture and however reasonable many of them once were they have inevitably grown more hateful. Leshwi seems to have held up better than most through her practice of fighting respectfully and honorably. Perhaps giving her a Connection to Honor to mitigate the Odium investiture.