Cultivation is a dragon?

Doneil

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find to much about this anywhere else. Brandon confirmed Cultivation as a dragon? I feel like I missed something in RoW can someone explain further please. Obviously it would be the vessel that is the dragons im assuming

Edited by Doneil

Yup, she's a dragon. Hoid says there is a dragon on Roshar when he and Kaladin are having their vision. Later when Mr T sees her later in the book he realizes that the human form she presents isn't her true form heavily implying that she is the dragon. 

But here is the WoB that confirms it

Benjamin Susla

Did Hoid confirm that Cultivation is a dragon?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't know if Hoid did. I can confirm it for you. Cultivation is. 

If I RAFO'd that one, everyone would be "Oh it's a secret still." It's not. I could RAFO it so people continue to theorize, which I sometimes like. But it's not suppose to be a secret.

9 hours ago, Doneil said:

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find to much about this anywhere else. Brandon confirmed Cultivation as a dragon? I feel like I missed something in RoW can someone explain further please. Obviously it would be the vessel that is the dragons im assuming

The two references hinting at Cultivation being a Dragon, from RoW:

Exhibit A:

“I know of just one on Roshar,” Wit noted, “and she prefers to hide her true form." (While explaining what are dogs and dragons, to Kaladin in Chapter 80)

Exhibit B:

A woman stepped up beside him. He recognized her full hair, black and tightly curled, along with her vibrant round face and dark skin. She had another shape as well. Many of them, but one deeper and truer than the others. (Once Taravangian Ascends, in Chapter 114)

Edited by HoidIsAdonalsium
Grammar.

2 hours ago, Xaladin said:

This begs the following question: Was Tanavast a dragon? Because they were romantically involved ... and not to dis too much on Shrek, but yeah.

Dragons have a human shape, even without being Shard vessels

Still weird though.

21 hours ago, Aon Tia said:

You know that it means! We might get to see a what a Dragon looks like in SA itself!! Yeyy!!!!

We already did, in Hoid's story. Unfortunately the description comes from Kaladin's POV and he isn't good at describing things that aren't disgusting bug creatures. We do know now that Cosmere dragons have 4 legs, GRRM is going to be very dissapointed. No idea if they grow Dragonsteel still (I assume so).

20 hours ago, Xaladin said:

This begs the following question: Was Tanavast a dragon? Because they were romantically involved ... and not to dis too much on Shrek, but yeah.

Tanavast was a dog, it is known.

Edited by Bremen

2 hours ago, Bremen said:

Unfortunately the description comes from Kaladin's POV and he isn't good at describing things that aren't disgusting bug creatures.

Exactly! The description was not satisfactory. All I got was big big flying flying. And in a story Wit might later claim artistic license! I want to see see a Cosmere dragon. 

13 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

Good! Dragons SHOULD have four legs! 

But then they would have six limbs with the wings, and only disgusting bug creatures have 6+ limbs. We can safely say dragons are not disgusting bug creatures due to Kaladin's inability to satisfactorily describe one. Ergo dragons should have 2 leg/2 wing for a normal 4 limbed creature. Brandon is clearly being influenced by Chaos with such heretical ideas as 4 legged dragons.

Edited by Bremen

1 hour ago, Bremen said:

But then they would have six limbs with the wings, and only disgusting bug creatures have 6+ limbs. We can safely say dragons are not disgusting bug creatures due to Kaladin's inability to satisfactorily describe one. Ergo dragons should have 2 leg/2 wing for a normal 4 limbed creature. Brandon is clearly being influenced by Chaos with such heretical ideas as 4 legged dragons.

You're describing a wyvern! And it's not called Wyvernsteel, it's called Dragonsteel!

:lol:

3 hours ago, Ishar said:

What about Angels?

Angels don't exist in the Cosmere, :D (I am totaly getting proven wrong when we learn more about Mercy)

2 hours ago, Ooklara said:

You're describing a wyvern! And it's not called Wyvernsteel, it's called Dragonsteel!

:lol:

From Wikipedia:

Wyverns are very similar to dragons, and in many languages, cultures and contexts no clear distinction is made between the two. Since the sixteenth century, in English, Scottish, and Irish heraldry, the key difference has been that a wyvern has two legs, whereas a dragon has four. However, this distinction is not commonly observed in the heraldry of other European countries, where two-legged dragon-like creatures being called dragons is entirely acceptable.

The distinctions of medieval British heraldry do not seem relevant to this conversation.

I argue that dragons should have four limbs because their evolutionary ancestor had four. Dragons are commonly held to be reptiles and all reptiles descended from a 4 legged creature. This is why birds only have 2 legs. Their front legs were adapted into wings. Losing limbs is possible (snakes) but there are no examples of any creature descended from that first vertebrate that pulled itself out of the ocean that have 6 limbs.

21 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

I don't understand what the argument about dragon legs is all about. Isn't it obvious that they have three?

I was under the impression that it was closer to 2.718; the golden ratio is famously known for showing up in the number of legs that fantasy reptiles have.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:29 AM, Dannex said:

I was under the impression that it was closer to 2.718; the golden ratio is famously known for showing up in the number of legs that fantasy reptiles have.

2.718 is an approximation of e, not the the golden ratio, but yes, the number of dragon legs should be the golden ratio, ([1+ sqrt(5)]/2, or ~1.618)

Notably this is also the number of functioning ears dragons should have.

They also ought to have π toes per foot, (~3.14) and e (~2.718) is the number of functioning eyes.

Edited by Ishar

@Frustration I was heavily influenced by a youtube video I watched long ago of AronRa discussing the taxa of Godzilla (youtube.com/watch?v=cuRHLx92DkM), then an interview with George RR Martin where he is adamant that dragons have two legs for evolutionary reasons. If following GRRM is treason against fantasy than I do resolve to make the most of it!

Cosmere dragons are shape shifters though. I wonder if they could take both forms?

s that why Bavadin became Autonomy? She took a form with two legs and became socially isolated when all the other dragons refused to be seen with her?

Imagine if Rayse were a dragon! When Tanavast ascends and gets replaced by a huge dragon corpse that is going to lead to A LOT of questions.

I love how this turned into a debate about how many limbs dragons should have.

My opinion is that cinematically dragons LOOK better with two legs, but I still think that dragons should have 4 legs and a set of wings, all my "research" says they have 4 legs. In the cosmere I think it would make sense for dragons to have 4 legs, I think it makes them look more "regal". Also Cultivation can take any form she wants so if she wants to be a wyvern, she damn well can lol

2 minutes ago, Doneil said:

I love how this turned into a debate about how many limbs dragons should have.

I love that to.

2 minutes ago, Doneil said:

My opinion is that cinematically dragons LOOK better with two legs, 

Wyverns, those are wyverns.

See, if Dragons have four legs then Wyverns can have 2 and everyone can be happy, but if Dragons have two legs, only those peopel can be happy.