Stormlight and Voidlight as fuels

Oltux72

Hi, for the purposes of the Coppermind I am looking at the various lights for use as duels for Surgebinding/ And it seems to that from the text we know far less for sure than we think.

• Radiants can use Stormlight
  • Fused can use Voidlight
  • Venli can use Stormlight and Voidlight
  • Lift can use Lifelight
  • Bearers of Honorblades can use Stormlight

Is that really all? That Navani can use Towerlight is conjecture, isn't it?

Navani can create Towerlight so it'd be stupid if she could not use it

Also it's nearly impossible Rlain won't be able to use Warlight for... whatever he'll be doing (Warbinding? both Surge and Voidbinding? All three? Renarin is definitely using Voidbinding with his fully corrupted but I'm not sure what a half corrupted spren will do), he'll probably also be able to use both Storm and Voidlight but it's more of a conjecture

11 hours ago, Master Silver said:

On this topic, what is the Truth Watcher spren? Is a Mist Spren different than the Reachers (and is a mist spren unintelligent like wind spren). If Wind spren are corrupted and then bond what are their surges? I'm just a little confused. 

I bet corrupted windspred would give the voidbinding equivalent of adhesion and gravitation (Odium seems to think the former doesn't exists, but I think he's just plain wrong)

We've seen Dreaming-though-Awake talk in RoW so mistsprens are definitely sapients. For Renarin's spren I imagine it's the corrupted version of the spren Truthwatchers use for their plates

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

What?

Mistspren are sapient spren like Honorspren and Cultivationspren and Cryptics.

Windspren make Windrunner plate.

Why would Glys be a Truthwatcher Shardplate spren?

Windspren are not sapient, but corrupted Windsprens are (we've heard two speak in Sja-Anat's interlude), since Glys don't look like a Mistspren I assume he was a non-sapient spren that was given sapience by Sja, a Truthwatcher Shardplate spren is the most obvious canditate for a non-sapient spren with access to both progression and illumination.

Also in case there was any confusion, I'm not assuming Mistprens are Truthwatcher Shardplate spren

Just now, mathiau said:

Windspren are not sapient, but corrupted Windsprens are (we've heard two speak in Sja-Anat's interlude)

Oh storms, I completely missed that! Wow!

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

since Glys don't look like a Mistspren I assume he was a non-sapient spren that was given sapience by Sja, a Truthwatcher Shardplate spren is the most obvious canditate for a non-sapient spren with access to both progression and illumination.

Maybe? I still think he's just a corrupted but otherwise normal Truthwatcher Radiant spren.

Also in case there was any confusion, I'm not assuming Mistprens are Truthwatcher Shardplate spren

Ok cool, thanks for clarifying.

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Maybe? I still think he's just a corrupted but otherwise normal Truthwatcher Radiant spren.

He looks like a crystal instead of an iridescence in the physical realm which is a bigger change than any other corrupted spren. Also we've
seen a corrupted mistspren and it was of War, not of Odium.

Granted, Tumi could be a special thing but I get the feeling Sja is more about adding than transforming (to grant sapience to a lesser spren you have to give then a substantial amount of investiture) and the amount of investiture you have to add to a greater spren in order to change it's nature would be enormous. But of course all of this is just my theory.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

@mathiau Gyls was willing to be corrupted and that's why only corrupted Truthwatchers exsist so far, they can't be willing if they aren't sapient.

Do you have a refrence/wob? I remember Tumi being willing but not Glys and the wiki says Glys don't really remember. (also I think you meant "only two corrupted Truthwatchers"  because we've seen uncorrupted Truthwatchers who's ability by the way prove the theory that Renarnin is a Voidbinder and the Fused are Surgebinders is true but that's another topic)

Do you have a refrence/wob? I remember Tumi being willing but not Glys and the wiki says Glys don't really remember. (also I think you meant "only two corrupted Truthwatchers"  because we've seen uncorrupted Truthwatchers

Oversleep

Will there be Enlightened spren of other Radiant Orders than Truthwatchers, and why does Sja-anat like Truthwatchers so much?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason Sja-anat likes Truthwatcher spren the most is because they are the most willing. And she considers what she's doing offering Enlightenment, not corrupting. And she considers their willingness to be a part of this. Outside observers might consider her methods less... involving less volition on the parts of some of the spren that she touches. They might argue with her on that point. In this case, as it comes with the two Truthwatcher spren that you see in the books, they both went to what they are willingly. Fully willingly to become what they are. They are, you might say, participants in her plans. So that's why she wants them.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)

Just now, Frustration said:

Oversleep

Will there be Enlightened spren of other Radiant Orders than Truthwatchers, and why does Sja-anat like Truthwatchers so much?

Brandon Sanderson

The reason Sja-anat likes Truthwatcher spren the most is because they are the most willing. And she considers what she's doing offering Enlightenment, not corrupting. And she considers their willingness to be a part of this. Outside observers might consider her methods less... involving less volition on the parts of some of the spren that she touches. They might argue with her on that point. In this case, as it comes with the two Truthwatcher spren that you see in the books, they both went to what they are willingly. Fully willingly to become what they are. They are, you might say, participants in her plans. So that's why she wants them.

YouTube Livestream 23 (Dec. 17, 2020)

I mean, having future sight that screws with Odium is going to be pretty storming important, so I can see why they'd be willing... And if I'm right in that Illumination's void-counterpart is the Void of Prediction, then they'd be the only Radiant spren capable of obtaining it, unless Sja-Anat can transform the other surge, in which case a Cryptic would suffice, but would probably be less willing given the circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Frustration said:

This doesn't prove that all enlightened Truthwatchers sprens were sapient and willing, just that Mistspren are the easiest sapient spren to enlighten (also the enlightenment part kind of add to my "she only add" hypothesis)

16 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I mean, having future sight that screws with Odium is going to be pretty storming important, so I can see why they'd be willing... And if I'm right in that Illumination's void-counterpart is the Void of Prediction, then they'd be the only Radiant spren capable of obtaining it, unless Sja-Anat can transform the other surge, in which case a Cryptic would suffice, but would probably be less willing given the circumstances.

That's funny, I was thinking that giving fate-immunity to numerous people would be story-breaking and therefore not something Brandon would do often

All surges except adhesion have a simple voidbinding equivalent (and Sja-Anat managed to corrupt enlighten so even that's not a problem), so there should be any fundamental problem about enlightening a Cryptic. I still get the feeling Renarin's fit and fate-immunity are his order-specific power and that enlightened Cryptics would give the malatium-like light Renarin used on Vyre but not fate-immunity, but it's just me extrapolating quite far on the reason WoR said Truthwatcher's silence was actually tact (I'm imagining they get fits like Renarin, but about the present instead of the future)

Edited by mathiau

2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

This doesn't prove that all enlightened Truthwatchers sprens were sapient and willing, just that Mistspren are the easiest sapient spren to enlighten (also the enlightenment part kind of add to my "she only add" hypothesis

Sishal (paraphrased)

How was Glys corrupted? Was the process similar to the lesser spren, like painspren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It is similar, but Glys is self-aware, so slightly different process, but similar. It is through Sja-anat.

Sishal (paraphrased)

Did Sja-anat have to convince Glys to corrupt him then?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Well, that one's a proof, and kind of destroy my "she only add" theory (unless Glys is of War and no one realized it, but that seems unlikely)

Also, back on the original subject, Rlain using warlight: possible or not?