Spren relations

Aspiring Writer

So, how is news that the recreance was not a genocide but a choice made by both the spren and the humans and that the humans had no idea that they would be killing the spren in doing so? Especially with the Ashspren and Willshapers, who seem to be holding the biggest grudge and working against the radiants? They are going to have to come to terms that their hatred of humans is unfounded.

The inkspren are going to have a hard time adjusting. They're so focused on what is that learning that something they thought is actually isn't will send them spiraling. The Reachers were beginning to come around to the concept of bonds again (not with humans, sure, but it's a short hop over back to human bonds from there), so they'll have an easier time, especially if Timbre/Venli can vouch a little for the goodness in certain humans from their combined experiences with Kaladin/Lift/other humans. The ashspren...they're a complete wild card group to me. They could either refuse to believe it and keep doing what they're doing or suddenly have a crisis of faith and go to Urithiru or just go sit the fight out the whole rest of the fight until they come to grips with it. 

2 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

So, how is news that the recreance was not a genocide but a choice made by both the spren and the humans and that the humans had no idea that they would be killing the spren in doing so? Especially with the Ashspren and Willshapers, who seem to be holding the biggest grudge and working against the radiants? They are going to have to come to terms that their hatred of humans is unfounded.

Well, no. I am sorry, but that is not a logical conclusion. We merely have learned that the Spren agreed to an emergency measure. That does not tell us who or what caused the emergency in the first place. If you have a fire on a warship and an officer orders compartments to be sealed off and flooded, whoever caused the fire is still responsible for the casualties caused by containing it.
The old explanation was always transparently bogus. It could not explain that the Knights Radiant came to this decision as a group. There is a theory that Melishi is to blame. Maybe. I would not call this theory well founded on evidence. Nevertheless the idea that the danger may be rekindled by reversing the Recreance has at least some plausibility.

7 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, no. I am sorry, but that is not a logical conclusion. We merely have learned that the Spren agreed to an emergency measure. That does not tell us who or what caused the emergency in the first place. If you have a fire on a warship and an officer orders compartments to be sealed off and flooded, whoever caused the fire is still responsible for the casualties caused by containing it.
The old explanation was always transparently bogus. It could not explain that the Knights Radiant came to this decision as a group. There is a theory that Melishi is to blame. Maybe. I would not call this theory well founded on evidence. Nevertheless the idea that the danger may be rekindled by reversing the Recreance has at least some plausibility.

This... wasn't a theory. It was just a place for discussion. 

And I don't think you're analogy is fair, as the knight radiants had no idea they would kill their spren, their spren probably assured them that they wouldn't die. You can't blame them for doing something when they unaware of what they would have been doing to their spren and probably told this would do no harm by the very spren they were breaking the bond with.

And nevertheless, a lot of the reasons spren hate humans is that they 'have no honor' with the evidence being the recreaence, and with the events being recontextualized, it should affect many of the more stubborn factions in some way.

I think this revelation will present a bigger problem. Why would thousands of radiants and spren choose to break their bonds? What were they trying to prevent? Yes they may not have known how bad it would be. But I’m sure even before deadeyes the process of breaking a bond was not pleasant for spren. So what was so bad they would be willing to break their bonds? I think these revelations might lead to some new spren forging bonds, but it may lead to even more, including ones who were already on humanity’s side, deciding the nahel bond is not worth the risks.

33 minutes ago, gremlin303 said:

I think this revelation will present a bigger problem. Why would thousands of radiants and spren choose to break their bonds? What were they trying to prevent? Yes they may not have known how bad it would be. But I’m sure even before deadeyes the process of breaking a bond was not pleasant for spren. So what was so bad they would be willing to break their bonds? I think these revelations might lead to some new spren forging bonds, but it may lead to even more, including ones who were already on humanity’s side, deciding the nahel bond is not worth the risks.

They were afraid of destroying the world as they did with their previous one, which I believe was mostly because of the Dawnshard and not just the surges.

16 hours ago, Invocation said:

The inkspren are going to have a hard time adjusting. They're so focused on what is that learning that something they thought is actually isn't will send them spiraling.

I thought the inkspren were more concerned with the reason so many spren chose to break their bonds in the first place. The humans didn't betray the spren, true, but that doesn't mean they should immediately start forming bonds again, this could just as easily put them in a situation where another Recreance becomes necessary, and this time they know what happens when the bond is broken.

18 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

They were afraid of destroying the world as they did with their previous one, which I believe was mostly because of the Dawnshard and not just the surges.

If that was the problem the obvious and unrisky option was to literally do nothing. Within a few decades old age would have solved the problem.

11 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Because Honor was raving about the Dawnshards and that the Radiants would destroy the planet before he died

I presumed that was because 1) a Dawnshard was used to Splinter him (strong implications of this I think) and 2) that meant he could no longer, as the epitome of rules, set the boundaries and rules that kept the Surges under control. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, Invocation said:

The inkspren are going to have a hard time adjusting. They're so focused on what is that learning that something they thought is actually isn't will send them spiraling.

I think their speech patterns have been geared toward what is not as well - it'll probably shake them, but I get the sense that they'll adjust reasonably quickly; take in the new information and run with it. They're spren of facts.