Is Lift a Forbidden Target?

Aspiring Writer

My first topic in the RoW spoiler Boards. How exciting for all of you. Topics of the week seem to be coming back.

So, When Mraize finds Lift, he says he's been waiting for an excuse to hunt her. This magged me a bit, and the whole thing made me want to punch Mraize in his teeth, as kidnapping and then trading Lift is completely abhorrent on it's own, and then finding out that Keliser is the leader of the Ghostbloods and somehow condoned this was very out of character. And then it occured to me that Mriaze needed an excuse to hunt Lift, and the only person who could forbid Mraixe from doing something would be one of his superiors and possibly even keliser. So did Kelsier forbid Mraize or any Ghostblood from harming Lift, and it wasn't until Lift did something like attacking the bird that Mriaze could retaliate?

That's an interesting observation. I was just looking at the passage and, though I don't quite get the vibe that Mraize was explicitly told not to hunt Lift, I think that it's plausible he was told not to go out of his way to find/ apprehend her. I don't think she is that important to the Ghostbloods, I doubt Kelsier would have heard of Lift specifically all the way on Scadrial. Then again, perhaps she will be his new small daughter.

2 hours ago, Lightwing8888 said:

That's an interesting observation. I was just looking at the passage and, though I don't quite get the vibe that Mraize was explicitly told not to hunt Lift, I think that it's plausible he was told not to go out of his way to find/ apprehend her. I don't think she is that important to the Ghostbloods, I doubt Kelsier would have heard of Lift specifically all the way on Scadrial. Then again, perhaps she will be his new small daughter.

That fact she can make Lifelight may give hesitance to the Ghostbloods when wondering what to do with her. Like, I am sure that Dalinar is off the table as a target, as well as few others, they are pivotal to fighting Odium, who they also would like to lose the war. Like, Mraize knew of her abilities (I believe he tells Raboniel this when he gives her to him) and why else would he want to hunt Lift in particular? The only thing unique about her is her ability to make lifelight.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

7 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

That fact she can make Lifelight may give hesitance to the Ghostbloods when wondering what to do with her. Like, I am sure that Dalinar is off the table as a target, as well as few others, they are pivotal to fighting Odium, who they also would like to lose the war. Like, Mraize knew of her abilities (I believe he tells Raboniel this when he gives her to him) and why else would he want to hunt Lift in particular? The only thing unique about her is her ability to make lifelight.

Yes, but even as they likely wouldn't kill her, they still would likely make apprehending her a priority as she was one of 2 functioning Radiants in the tower. Her powers were instrumental in the reclaiming of the tower, though I guess the Fused and the Ghostbloods had no way of knowing that.

1 hour ago, Lightwing8888 said:

Yes, but even as they likely wouldn't kill her, they still would likely make apprehending her a priority as she was one of 2 functioning Radiants in the tower. Her powers were instrumental in the reclaiming of the tower, though I guess the Fused and the Ghostbloods had no way of knowing that.

She is special, no doubt, but I don't think that was enough for the Ghostbloods to outright kidnap her. They could've tried to recruit her. Mraize specifically wanted her caught, and I don't think he could until she attacked his bird and broke some rule/code that let him retaliate. That line, 'I've been waiting for an excuse', really gets my spidey sense tingling that way.

8 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

She is special, no doubt, but I don't think that was enough for the Ghostbloods to outright kidnap her. They could've tried to recruit her. Mraize specifically wanted her caught, and I don't think he could until she attacked his bird and broke some rule/code that let him retaliate. That line, 'I've been waiting for an excuse', really gets my spidey sense tingling that way.

That’s a good point, it does seem fishy. I guess we can’t know for sure. I mean, we don’t even know Mraize’s real name!!! I get the feeling that the the Ghostbloods are not just a Stormlight thing. 

Just now, Lightwing8888 said:

That’s a good point, it does seem fishy. I guess we can’t know for sure. I mean, we don’t even know Mraize’s real name!!! I get the feeling that the the Ghostbloods are not just a Stormlight thing. 

What gave that away? Was it the fact their boss is from Scadrial, the book naming a bunch of planets, or the fact Mraize literally says they are the most dangerous group in all the Cosmere? XD

3 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

What gave that away? Was it the fact their boss is from Scadrial, the book naming a bunch of planets, or the fact Mraize literally says they are the most dangerous group in all the Cosmere? XD

IKR, I am a genius for discovering this. 

Mom so excited to see what Brandon has planned, the more I read the more questions I have. 

Bless my cousin Zane for forcing SLA on me. 

Fortunately, no. He hates that the character Zane is named the same as him (perhaps it’s jealousy he loves Allomancy).

How did you get in to cosmere?

Sister dared me to read Way of Kings because of how huge it was, I tried and then failed because that was the largest book i ever attempted reading, saw that her friend had loaned her the Mistborn trilogy which looked really cool and were from the same author, proceeded to read the first two Mistborn books in four days (I was on vacation thankfully) Finished the series and then read the WoK and pretty much fell in love with everything Cosmere.

10 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Sister dared me to read Way of Kings because of how huge it was, I tried and then failed because that was the largest book i ever attempted reading, saw that her friend had loaned her the Mistborn trilogy which looked really cool and were from the same author, proceeded to read the first two Mistborn books in four days (I was on vacation thankfully) Finished the series and then read the WoK and pretty much fell in love with everything Cosmere.

Ah an excellent origin story. I noticed your handle has to do with writing, what kind of things do you write? I am also an aspiring author, there seem to be many in this fandom. 

Ah an excellent origin story. I noticed your handle has to do with writing, what kind of things do you write? I am also an aspiring author, there seem to be many in this fandom. 

Sci-fi and fantasy. I tend to like mixing elements from both. Currently working on a more space opera esc series and have a fantasy series in the works. Sanderson has probably inspired many people to write, so it's no surprise many in the fandom are trying it. What are you writing?

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Sci-fi and fantasy. I tend to like mixing elements from both. Currently working on a more space opera esc series and have a fantasy series in the works. Sanderson has probably inspired many people to write, so it's no surprise many in the fandom are trying it. What are you writing?

That’s really cool! More fantasy fantasy, though I’m really struggling with writer’s block at the moments. How do you deal with that? 

That’s really cool! More fantasy fantasy, though I’m really struggling with writer’s block at the moments. How do you deal with that? 

Force yourself to write through it. Maybe write something else or do a different type of writing. That’s what usually works.

You can also try looking around for inspiration.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I came in the old fashioned way: with Wheel of Time. From there I found Mistborn, and I’ve been here ever since.

God wheel of time i still have to read that. WHy can't the world pause so i can read a bunch of books and not worry about my responsibilities?

2 minutes ago, Lightwing8888 said:

Depends on the reason for writer's block. WHy are you stuck?

36 minutes ago, Lightwing8888 said:

I don’t have time!!! And when I do have time I read Brandon and listen to DnD podcasts. 

My suggestions is skip the chapter and go back to it later. I often get writer's block when I subconsciously know something isn't working but don't know what. As you work, you'll eventually be able to put your finger on it.

3 hours ago, Lightdancer said:

The next Cosmere reveal is that Zane was alive all along :P.

That does explain his uncanny Rubik's cube abilities. He's a Mistborn!!!

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

My suggestions is skip the chapter and go back to it later. I often get writer's block when I subconsciously know something isn't working but don't know what. As you work, you'll eventually be able to put your finger on it.

This is good advice. I usually get anxious about not writing... and then don't write... and then get more anxious. 

28 minutes ago, Lightwing8888 said:

That does explain his uncanny Rubik's cube abilities. He's a Mistborn!!!

This is good advice. I usually get anxious about not writing... and then don't write... and then get more anxious. 

Story of my life right now. I'm forcing myself to take a break from writing until I start feeling less depressed, and I constantly keep glancing at my work and thinking about going back to it and then force myself away.

9 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Story of my life right now. I'm forcing myself to take a break from writing until I start feeling less depressed, and I constantly keep glancing at my work and thinking about going back to it and then force myself away.

Something that I've found to help is working on an entirely different project- with other people. I run a book club, and discussing that with others has helped me to feel more connected during quarantine. I am also in the early stages of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign with some new friends. A while ago, I started a blog with a friend. That way, I can still do what I know in my heart I love (reading and writing) while both justifying the time I spend on it and spending time with others. 

On 14.12.2020 at 5:21 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

My first topic in the RoW spoiler Boards. How exciting for all of you. Topics of the week seem to be coming back.

So, When Mraize finds Lift, he says he's been waiting for an excuse to hunt her. This magged me a bit, and the whole thing made me want to punch Mraize in his teeth, as kidnapping and then trading Lift is completely abhorrent on it's own, and then finding out that Keliser is the leader of the Ghostbloods and somehow condoned this was very out of character. And then it occured to me that Mriaze needed an excuse to hunt Lift, and the only person who could forbid Mraixe from doing something would be one of his superiors and possibly even keliser. So did Kelsier forbid Mraize or any Ghostblood from harming Lift, and it wasn't until Lift did something like attacking the bird that Mriaze could retaliate?

Before we go to psychological explanations, I need to point out that hurting Lift gets you into trouble with

• the rest of the Knights Radiant
  • the Cultivationspren
  • Cultivation
  • the Azish

Not doing that without good reasons is just common sense.