Bondsmith Unchained

Samrat

11 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I believe there a WoB saying there are only three bondsmith, which I think only three bondsmith spren.

Well, technically there are 4 when you count Ishar/Ishar's Honorblade. Also, as we saw with certain WoBs in RoW, Brandon will lie to us, they are not 100% truths. He doesn't do it often, but he very much misled the community with his statements on the black sphere and some Shallan stuff that had to do with her previously unknown bond to Testament. It could be that there were only three Radiant Bondsmiths in the past, but something could happen in the future to change that.

1 hour ago, gremlin303 said:

I thought Dalinar's ability to open perpendicularities is due to being bonded to a splinter of Honour, that's why Odium was so surprised by it

I thought that as well, but Ishar opened one just using his Honorblade at the end of RoW. It looks like that's just a Bondsmith thing, though it still seems like it's tough to do. 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:20 AM, Djerf said:

(Emphasis mine) This, both the power from the god spren and the fact that they are spren with minds of their own that can help guide the power. 

This is also part of it, each order do different things differently. 

I do believe that every order of knights can become more than they ever were due to honors death. And with the help of spren the knights might be able do more things easier than the corresponding honorblade work let allow.

I agree with this as some spren in Shadesmar were shocked at how fast the new Knights progressed despite millennia and the lack of the Heralds to guide them.

11 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

Well, technically there are 4 when you count Ishar/Ishar's Honorblade. Also, as we saw with certain WoBs in RoW, Brandon will lie to us, they are not 100% truths. He doesn't do it often, but he very much misled the community with his statements on the black sphere and some Shallan stuff that had to do with her previously unknown bond to Testament. It could be that there were only three Radiant Bondsmiths in the past, but something could happen in the future to change that.

I thought that as well, but Ishar opened one just using his Honorblade at the end of RoW. It looks like that's just a Bondsmith thing, though it still seems like it's tough to do. 

Hmm I dunno. I think Ishar was only able to do that because of what he did messing around with Dalinar’s bond, he managed to gain that ability from it. He seemed surprised when Dalinar first opened it. But maybe not. We shall see 

22 minutes ago, gremlin303 said:

Hmm I dunno. I think Ishar was only able to do that because of what he did messing around with Dalinar’s bond, he managed to gain that ability from it. He seemed surprised when Dalinar first opened it. But maybe not. We shall see 

He was also using the ability to send his Tukari into Shadesmar to kidnap spren for his experiments. There are three other ways they could have gotten in and out of Shadesmar; Cultivations perpendicularity, an Oathgate, and an Elsecaller. The first isn't viable, the Horneater peaks are just too far from Tukar to make any logistic sense. The second isn't viable either for the same reason, no Oathgate in Tukar. And the third is unlikely considering what Ishar is doing with those spren and how resistant every Inkspren besides Jasnah's has been to the idea of new Nahel bonds. They don't like the possibility that they could become a deadeye, I don't see them appreciating what Ishar is doing any more than that. I find it far more likely that Ishar has the ability to open the perpendicularity with his Honorblade than the possibility he's got one or more Elsecallers on staff and willing to participate in his expieriments. No Radiant spren would condone what's happening there and continue a bond that is enabling it even if it means becoming a deadeye. 

11 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

He was also using the ability to send his Tukari into Shadesmar to kidnap spren for his experiments. There are three other ways they could have gotten in and out of Shadesmar; Cultivations perpendicularity, an Oathgate, and an Elsecaller. The first isn't viable, the Horneater peaks are just too far from Tukar to make any logistic sense. The second isn't viable either for the same reason, no Oathgate in Tukar. And the third is unlikely considering what Ishar is doing with those spren and how resistant every Inkspren besides Jasnah's has been to the idea of new Nahel bonds. They don't like the possibility that they could become a deadeye, I don't see them appreciating what Ishar is doing any more than that. I find it far more likely that Ishar has the ability to open the perpendicularity with his Honorblade than the possibility he's got one or more Elsecallers on staff and willing to participate in his expieriments. No Radiant spren would condone what's happening there and continue a bond that is enabling it even if it means becoming a deadeye. 

Yeah okay that’s a fair point

On 12/14/2020 at 4:05 AM, Harrycrapper said:

I don’t think this is a bondsmith thing traditionally. It’s probably more likely that Honor used to regulate this power, but now with him being dead, Ishar can do it because he’s had the honorblade and experimented with it (Bondsmith unchained and all) and Dalinar can do it because he’s a bondsmith/connected to a splinter of Honor. 

11 minutes ago, Bopushaq said:

I don’t think this is a bondsmith thing traditionally. It’s probably more likely that Honor used to regulate this power, but now with him being dead, Ishar can do it because he’s had the honorblade and experimented with it (Bondsmith unchained and all) and Dalinar can do it because he’s a bondsmith/connected to a splinter of Honor. 

Yea, that sounds right. I think Brandon did say that what Dalinar does with the perpendicularity is a new thing for someone bonded to the Stormfather. 

1 hour ago, Bopushaq said:

This would also fit well with the surprise that the Stormfather and Odium had with Dalinar opening a Perpendicularity in Oathbringer 

Can a bondsmith connect anything?  Could it connect someone to the ideal of fire and burn them like a dust ringer?  Weaken their connection with frictional force, allowing them to slip like an edge dancer?  Remove the connection a person has to their spirit web, or the intrinsic investiture in all life in the commerce?  Add in the willshaper honorblade and they can do this ranged and that’s crazy.  I don’t know though. :unsure:

Edited by OdiYum

On 12/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, StanLemon said:

Oathbringer also implies that no Bondsmith before Dalinar could open a Perpendicularity like he does. Maybe this has to do with Honor being dead and not holding them back anymore. I think there are going to be more new uses that even the Fused won't be prepared for. A Bondsmith unchained as you put it might be comparable to a Fullborn in power. I personally think they are able to do their feats because their Spren are particularly powerful Splinters that allow them to do more with the Cognitive and Spiritual parts of their Surges

Point to be noted.... After Odium killed Tanavast a.k.a Honor, Tanavast's cognitive Shadow merged with Stormfather making the spren more like the dead Vessel. 

This is from chapter 119, Unity of Oathbringer...

Screenshot_20201220-201938_1.jpg.ab19b2958d68a74c2e0e6ea5f643233e.jpg

A Dalinar viewpoint.

Spren, powerful splinters, yes, helps that.

More that now there is no Tanavast/Honor's laws binding them. So that is what I think makes Ishar a Bondsmith Unchained. If this, why not anyone with the specific pair of surges could do it, irrespective of the way an individual attained it?

On 12/10/2020 at 0:01 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

I think that's because of the connection he made with Daliner, not that he would normally have that ability. Am I mistaken in this line of thought?

Ishar's connection with Dalinar was to steal his Nahel Bond with Stormfather, which was broken by Szeth via Nightblood. It was after this when Szeth went "Krazi Kul" and notches the Honorblade of Ishar in the following fight. 

It was after this that Ishar summoned the perpendicularity to escape.

Ishar, imo, has summoned the perpendicularity many more times before, because this explains how he got the Radiant spren in their physical form (more like Humanoid). And experimented with them.:unsure:

Vedel is the crazy doc. who did it. I speculate this.