Electricity (To kill people)

Aspiring Writer

Just now, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Nope. Unless the armor was not touching the ground. As long as there is a continuous line of metal from the breast plate to the ground, the person in the armor would practically feel nothing except heat.

One, plate armor is not one single piece, so I don't know why you think the person wouldn't die, and two, why would do you think that's the case if metal was touching the ground? Can I have your source so I can understand this, because that will impact things in my world.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

One, plate armor is not one single piece, so I don't know why you think the person wouldn't die, and two, why would do you think that's the case if metal was touching the ground? Can I have your source so I can understand this, because that will impact things in my world.

Do you know how grounding works? To protect building against lightning? This is the same principle. And while the armor isn't in one piece, I was imagining all the pieces as touching each other. If the pieces aren't touching, then the chance of dying increases.

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
Just now, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Do you know how grounding works? To protect building against lightning? This is the same principle. And while the armor isn't in one piece, I was imagining all the pieces as touching each other. If the pieces aren't touching, then the chance of dying increases.

One other thing is that the chance of dying or at least fainting of heat is more likely than you guys think, it's already really hot in the armour and whatever leather you're wearing underneath. So Aspire keep in mind how much heat will affect a person dying rather than pure voltage

10 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

One other thing is that the chance of dying or at least fainting of heat is more likely than you guys think, it's already really hot in the armour and whatever leather you're wearing underneath. So Aspire keep in mind how much heat will affect a person dying rather than pure voltage

Well, climate becomes importent then, and a lot of this is happening in really cold conditions (Which probably has it's own issues I should look for, like frostbite.)

1 minute ago, Somebody from Sel said:

This isn't true as far as I can figure out. Also, this would highly depend upon the exact alloy used for the armor, which would make it quite confusing.

5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Well, climate becomes importent then, and a lot of this is happening in really cold conditions (Which probably has it's own issues I should look for, like frostbite.)

Yes, and how dry the climate is will affect lightnings ability to hit a person. Snow=dry btw

1 minute ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

This isn't true as far as I can figure out. Also, this would highly depend upon the exact alloy used for the armor, which would make it quite confusing.

What isn't true? The fact that wearing armour was hot, because that's pretty true.

Edited by Somebody from Sel

8 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

What isn't true? The fact that wearing armour was hot, because that's pretty true.

The fact that armor will get so hot in a second to make the person faint
Usually when a person faints 'cause of heat it is because the person is hot for a long time, not if you get very hot for a short time. And if the armor is made very hot for a large time, I would guess that burning would come first.

2 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Usually when a person faints 'cause of heat it is because the person is hot for a long time, not if you get very hot for a short time. And if the armor is made very hot for a large time, I would guess that burning would come first.

Think of wearing a really big snow jacket in Texas and that's what wearing armour is like, so pretty hot for a long time, very hot for a second.

19 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

I don't know big snow jackets, nor I know how is Texas, so....

It's HOT sorry my description doesn't work, can't really think of an similar thing, sorry.

38 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Okay, from what I can tell from grounding, it's dispersing electricity into the earth through a grounding network to prevent damage, which does not equate with people who don't disperse electricity into the ground. The grounding system for the buildings are kinda like roots, so human feet would not useful for grounding as you imply as they would not be able to disperse the energy into the ground to protect themselves.

9 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

It's HOT sorry my description doesn't work, can't really think of an similar thing, sorry.

37 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

I agree making a person faint would take some time and not be reliable, though i do think you might cause a heat flash and make someone numb or lose their vision for a short period of time.

17 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Okay, from what I can tell from grounding, it's dispersing electricity into the earth through a grounding network to prevent damage, which does not equate with people who don't disperse electricity into the ground. The grounding system for the buildings are kinda like roots, so human feet would not useful for grounding as you imply as they would not be able to disperse the energy into the ground to protect themselves.

The same prinicple. The way grounding works is that the earth is at a constant potential of (eg). 0V. So if you ever connect something which has a different potential to the earth through something which has a low enough breakdown voltage, the potential sets up a current which destroys the potential. This is how lightning works, when the potential between the clouds and the ground becomes more than the breakdown voltage of air, lightning strikes the ground. Now, if there is metal in between, because the resistivity of the metal is very very less than that of the air or the body, most of current travels through the metal. For this purpose simply keeping the feet on the ground is enough.

7 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I agree making a person faint would take some time and not be reliable, though i do think you might cause a heat flash and make someone numb or lose their vision for a short period of time.

But do heat flash make a person numb or make them loose their vision?

17 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

The same prinicple. The way grounding works is that the earth is at a constant potential of (eg). 0V. So if you ever connect something which has a different potential to the earth through something which has a low enough breakdown voltage, the potential sets up a current which destroys the potential. This is how lightning works, when the potential between the clouds and the ground becomes more than the breakdown voltage of air, lightning strikes the ground. Now, if there is metal in between, because the resistivity of the metal is very very less than that of the air or the body, most of current travels through the metal. For this purpose simply keeping the feet on the ground is enough.

That is not what I have understood from what I have read. Please send me your sources. And also remember this technically isn't lightning and more of a really powerful tazer that doubles as your hand.

4 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

That is not what I have understood from what I have read. Please send me your sources. And also remember this technically isn't lightning and more of a really powerful tazer that doubles as your hand.

23 minutes ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

First of all have you seen people who have gotten hit by lightning weren't they technically "grounded". Honestly Aspire lightning might be better, can tasers even kill people? 

4 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

First of all have you seen people who have gotten hit by lightning weren't they technically "grounded". Honestly Aspire lightning might be better, can tasers even kill people? 

I said tasers because it's not lightning that's traveling several miles to the surface, which might change how this works. The mechanics are that people can charge their hands with electricity, no shooting for manipulating or anything, just electricity hands, with varying voltage with the max being whatever is enough to kill a person in a second.

5 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I said tasers because it's not lightning that's traveling several miles to the surface, which might change how this works. The mechanics are that people can charge their hands with electricity, no shooting for manipulating or anything, just electricity hands, with varying voltage with the max being whatever is enough to kill a person in a second.

Ok, also look at my magic system I did a reply and I want to know your thoughts.

7 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I don't know, my sources are my textbooks :P.

A tazer works slightly differently in that it has 2 ends instead of one, to complete the circuit. The analogous case with a hand would be , eg. a thumb and a finger. This has the benefit that you have much more control over it, and the lose is that you can't exactly send it through the air (i.e. you must touch the other person).  Armor will obviously stop a tazer, unless you can still touch the person, in which case it doesn't matter. Also, the damage due to a tazer is very localized, you can only harm the nerves and muscles around your hand.

8 hours ago, Somebody from Sel said:

First of all have you seen people who have gotten hit by lightning weren't they technically "grounded".

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Aspire, how much electrostatics do you understand? 'Cause I can explain if you are just confused, but I don't know where on the internet I can find basic electrostatics.

5 hours ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

you can't exactly send it through the air

That's fine, that's what i wanted. Forces me to get a little creative and doesn't make the electric people overpowered.

5 hours ago, Ookla of Truthshapers said:

Aspire, how much electrostatics do you understand? 'Cause I can explain if you are just confused, but I don't know where on the internet I can find basic electrostatics

I will appreciate anything you can tell me. Even if I know it, I will now have confirmation that I am understanding it.

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I kinda want to know everything you know...

Alright, so focusing on tasers:

I tried to find how exactly tasers damage the body, but I couldn't find hard numbers for it. I do know that tasers work by disrupting the nervous system. This can be done in two ways, one is that you simply force a current through the nerve cells which disrupts the signals going to the muscles and to the brain, which means that the muscles can not be temporarily controlled. The other way tasers work is that they send a signal similar to the one that comes from the brain through the nerves, this leads to the muscles contracting in rapid succession, and again immobilizes the person.
The permanent damage inflicted by tasers is mostly muscle tears and (I would guess) damage to the nervous system.

The tasers work with a high voltage but low ampere current, which allows the current to pass through weak insulators (like clothes). Jacking up the voltage might allow it to pass through things like leather armor too, though the effectiveness would probably be greatly reduced. (I couldn't find numbers on the resistivity of leather but I would guess that it is of the same order as of skin, which would imply that the effectiveness would be approximately halved)

Highly increasing the voltages here gives rise to electric arc discharges, which are essentially lightning, but going from one end of the taser to other, to complete the circuit.

This is probably not all of what you want to know, but I don't exactly know how to order all the other things in my brain.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:36 AM, Aspiring Writer said:

Sorry for having stepped out of this thread and now stepping in disturbing @Ookla of Truthshapers's explanation.
But isn't what you are describing here more like this: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Shocking Grasp#content

But with the ability to decide the amount of shock you want?

1 hour ago, Krox said:

Sorry for having stepped out of this thread and now stepping in disturbing @Ookla of Truthshapers's explanation.
But isn't what you are describing here more like this: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Shocking Grasp#content

But with the ability to decide the amount of shock you want?

Kinda, yeah.