The Different Lights

RShara

On 11/23/2020 at 9:56 AM, Jess said:

Yeah, I suspect Navani interpreting Honor + Cultivation as "Science" is largely a reflection of her own interests/worldview, and that Science may just be one aspect of Towerlight's nature.

You could say it's...

Invention?

...Oh wait, that's actually a shard already. :P Nevermind

14 minutes ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

You could rename Towerlight to be more descriptive of what it's like, and its new so the rename could easily catch on, but Towerlight isn't an inaccurate word; it just talks about the history of the light rather than the Intent

"Stormlight" doesn't have anything to do with Honor directly, just the Highstorm where it's released from.

In that sense, Towerlight is the perfect name for the combination, the Sibling produces it from their point of residence; the Tower of Urithiru.

And that would make Lifelight... produced by metabolic processes OH WAIT that's exactly how Lift produces it, isn't it? :D

Edited by Halyo_Alex
clarity

On 11/20/2020 at 5:29 AM, Inquisitor #5 said:

Interestingly, the existence of anti-lights implies the possibility of anti-shards as well.

Yeah, I haven’t even really wanted to start theorizing in that direction, it opens up so many options. Too much for my brain to handle right now haha.

it also brings up the question, is there an equivalent Anti-Investiture for every power? And does it exist in every form of the power? Like, anti-Atium, but also a metal?

5 minutes ago, Nebelskind said:

Yeah, I haven’t even really wanted to start theorizing in that direction, it opens up so many options. Too much for my brain to handle right now haha.

it also brings up the question, is there an equivalent Anti-Investiture for every power? And does it exist in every form of the power? Like, anti-Atium, but also a metal?

Anti Tanavastium shardblade, just to really storm up the Radiants' day.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:47 AM, teknopathetic said:

Tower Light light isnt of the Tower so much as it is made by the tower. Could we rename Tower Light as Science Light? Navani calls it Science when she melds the tones, so that does seem valid. We could even say Discovery light or something..

Tower light is not not very ... descriptive. If the tower fell, that light could still exist, you know? 

Hmm... I think she called it science after the Rhythms. She saw Honor's Rhythm as order and Cultivation's Rhythm as progress, and called their combination science.

Hmm how would anti-Light of a Shard and Light of a different Shard interact? It didn't seem that one anti-Light was antithetical to all Investiture, hence different kinds of anti-Light

I also wonder how much the Rythym of War is a result of Navani and Raboniel both looking for a Weapon. Would a different intent produce a different harmonylight? Could they create a Disciplinelight? (As in, the act of disciplining) An  Eradicationlight? Dominationlight? This is somewhat supported by the WoBs that imply that shardblades are all alloys of Tanavastium and Cultivationmetal, but not the same alloy. In the same way, there may be multiple instantiations of blended Light.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:03 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I’m not sure ‘enemy’ is the right word here...

What do all three become? War + Passion + Science? This... sounds dangerous...

Rather than War + Passion + Science, what about War + Art + Science...

On 11/20/2020 at 10:29 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Not regular evolution, which is already part of Cultivation. Darwinian social evolution. That’s what I meant; I’m tired and used the wrong term.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Darwinism

Inspired by this idea, what about Culturelight? Adding the artistic/intellectual passions of people with the growing of natural things. 

On 11/21/2020 at 1:33 AM, Seloun said:

Actually, this appears to be answered in the book upon closer examination:

(emphasis mine)

So, Freedomlight or...Bravelight?

I could also see it going this way with something like Freedomlight. But what if Venli is feeling the culture of her people specifically, where as someone from Azir let's say, would feel something very different.

12 minutes ago, LeahAstonished said:

Rather than War + Passion + Science, what about War + Art + Science...

Inspired by this idea, what about Culturelight? Adding the artistic/intellectual passions of people with the growing of natural things. 

I could also see it going this way with something like Freedomlight. But what if Venli is feeling the culture of her people specifically, where as someone from Azir let's say, would feel something very different.

Adding another layer to this, I recently heard the theory of the Unmade being able to form Bondsmith Nahel bonds. I like this a lot. Then you would have the following:

Stormfather - Stormlight

Nightwatcher - Lifelight

Sibling - Towerlight

Ba-Ado-Mishram - Voidlight

?? - Warlight

Sja-Anat - Voidlight + Lifelight

If that's the case than "Enlightening" spren (corrupting them) may be a process that uses this hybrid light. I think Culturelight would work for this, or maybe it should just be called "Enlight:P