Is it Weird The Power Talked? [Discuss]

Child of Hodor

After Rayse is killed and right before Mr T becomes Big T (I refuse to call him Todd) the power of Odium talks to Taravangian and tells him he’s “perfect”.

That hasn’t happened when a shard is picked up in other instances in the Cosmere. We haven’t seen it a lot, but we’ve seen it.

Investiture left alone long enough can develop an intelligence, but it wasn’t left alone for more than a few seconds. 

Then consider the golden light in Odium all book that seemed like it was trying to escape his body. Very odd. 

Is this why Odium is referred to as “the broken one” by the Stormfather in WoK? There’s something wrong with it?

Dawnshard spoilers:

Spoiler

It really does seem to be Passion and Odium together when Mr T picks it up. Could this be part of a “Feel” or other emotion command Dawnshard mangled and combined with the Shard of Odium? Dawnshard’s can talk in a person’s head and they have a burning golden light similar to to what we often see from Odium despite voidlight being Stygian Blue or dark violet. 

There are key differences in Rysn’s convo and Taravangian’s. But it’s a possibility.

It seems Harmony was right about ruling the Cosmere by killing all the other Shards being something about Odium the power and not solely a Rayse thing. Mr T immediately buys into “I can do better than these other gods!”. That’s how he was in life as well, but that’s why the power told him he was “perfect”.

Harmony says this too in his letter to hoid

However, though you think not as a mortal, you are their kin. The power of Odium’s Shard is more dangerous than the mind behind it. Particularly since any Investiture seems to gain a will of its own when not controlled.

Rayse and Odium were seemingly splitting apart a bit for a long time , could it be that the Shard has gained some sentiance. It wouldn't have worked normally since it does absolutely require a vessel but here rayse was able to satisfy it's intent only partially. 

So it could be that having a vessel but not being particularly bound to him for millenia it gained sentiance. 

Maybe that's why tara is of two minds. 

On 11/18/2020 at 11:48 PM, Child of Hodor said:

After Rayse is killed and right before Mr T becomes Big T (I refuse to call him Todd) the power of Odium talks to Taravangian and tells him he’s “perfect”.

That hasn’t happened when a shard is picked up in other instances in the Cosmere. We haven’t seen it a lot, but we’ve seen it.

Investiture left alone long enough can develop an intelligence, but it wasn’t left alone for more than a few seconds. 

Then consider the golden light in Odium all book that seemed like it was trying to escape his body. Very odd. 

Is this why Odium is referred to as “the broken one” by the Stormfather in WoK? There’s something wrong with it?

Dawnshard spoilers:

Hide contents

It really does seem to be Passion and Odium together when Mr T picks it up. Could this be part of a “Feel” or other emotion command Dawnshard mangled and combined with the Shard of Odium? Dawnshard’s can talk in a person’s head and they have a burning golden light similar to to what we often see from Odium despite voidlight being Stygian Blue or dark violet. 

There are key differences in Rysn’s convo and Taravangian’s. But it’s a possibility.

It seems Harmony was right about ruling the Cosmere by killing all the other Shards being something about Odium the power and not solely a Rayse thing. Mr T immediately buys into “I can do better than these other gods!”. That’s how he was in life as well, but that’s why the power told him he was “perfect”.

Dawnshard spoilers:

Spoiler

I don't think Rayse was bearing the shard and the dawnshard - firstly the combination of these two powers would have made him powerful enough to not fear Cultivation, which we know he did. Because as per Nikki's explanation, the Dawnshard is almost powerless without a source of investiture within the bearer. A shard, containing essentially infinite investiture, would surely be beyond the power of any other shard

Secondly, and said with less confidence, are we not reasonably sure that there was only one Dawnshard on Roshar? 

Edited by Saradas

On 11/18/2020 at 5:03 PM, TheOneKEA said:

Hoid did call Odium “the most frightening and terrible of all the Shards.” Is this why? Is the Odium Shard capable of this because it represents all of Adonalsium’s emotions?

I don't think Odium is just all of Adonalsium's emotions. It was described (by Wit, I think) as "God's divine wrath, separated from the virtues that gave it context". I think this is what makes Odium so terrifying - all this power, with a destructive bent to it, that has none of the checks that the rest of Adonalsium provided. 

As for Rayse claiming to be the God of all emotions, I feel like that is an individual notion. I theorize that all the Shards feel incomplete to some extent. We can see this very obviously in Ruin and Preservation: neither can accomplish its desires without the other, so they reluctantly team up. Similarly, despite the pact a LOT of Shards decide to work together - possibly because of similar gaps in their powers. Rayse doesn't want to work with anyone else, so to cope with knowing he only has 1/16th of God but feeling as powerful as Ado itself, he pretends he is special and actually has a much greater domain than is true.