Blurb RoW Spanish

Nathrangking

Okay, so Shallan is going to unknowingly seek the Sibling? She really needs to remember her full past soon

Kaladin's reached his limit and will have to confront his issues instead of putting them off

Venli considers herself a failure and is being distant from her heritage as a Listener or as a Singer, either of whom are carrying her on their shoulders to victory and silence (referring to the Rhythms perhaps) and the most important thing of all

Navani must careful in her game of intrigue, discover some secrets and lying to herself in some capacity?

Thanks for cross-posting this from Reddit, @Nathrangking! I'm so mad we found out about Xisis a full week late because no one on Reddit or on Discord remembered to share! 

BAM would make much more sense for Shallan's mission.  The sibling "withdrew" it was never as far as we know imprisoned.  I would also probably task the spren with caring for such a dangerous prisoner rather then trusting a more unpredictable human agency.  Finally given that Gavilar was looking for ways to restart a desolation it would make sense that he tried looking for her.

2 hours ago, Harrycrapper said:

It already got removed by the moderators...can anyone replicate it?

Sorry, that was a mistake. It's back. :)

Also, an actual Spanish speaker in the comments said that the translation is mostly decent, but made a few small adjustments of their own. (Didn't compare, so I'm not sure how extensively.)

Hay secretos que hemos guardado mucho tiempo. Vigilantes. Insomnes. Eternos. Y pronto dejarán de ser nuestros.

There are secrets that we have kept for a long time. Watchful. Sleepless. Eternal. And soon they will cease to be ours.

La Una que es Tres busca, sin saberlo, el alma capturada. El spren aprisionado, olvidado hace mucho tiempo. ¿Puede liberar su propia alma a tiempo de hallar el conocimiento que condena a todos los pueblos de Roshar?

The One that is Three seeks, unknowingly, the captured soul. The imprisoned spren, long forgotten. Can she free her own spirit in time to find the knowledge that condemns all the people of Roshar?

El Soldado Caído acaricia y ama la lanza, incluso mientras el arma hiende su propia carne. Camina siempre hacia delante, siempre hacia la oscuridad, sin luz. No puede llevar consigo a nadie, salvo aquello que él mismo puede avivar.

The Fallen Soldier caresses and loves the spear, even as the weapon cleaves his own flesh. He always walks forward, always toward the darkness, without light. He can take none with him, save that which he alone can bring to life.

La Hermana Derrumbada comprende sus errores y piensa que ella misma es un error. Parece muy alejada de sus antepasados, pero no comprende que son quienes la llevan a hombros. Hacia la victoria, y hacia ese silencio, el más importante de todos.

The Broken Sister understands her mistakes and thinks that she herself is one. She seems so far away from her ancestors, but doesn't comprehend that they carry her on their shoulders. Towards victory, and towards that silence, the most important of all.

Y la Madre de Máquinas, la más crucial de todos ellos, danza con mentirosos en un gran baile. Debe desenmascararlos, alcanzar sus verdades ocultas y entregarlas al mundo. Tiene que reconocer que las peores mentiras son las que se cuenta a sí misma.

And the Mother of Machines, the most crucial of all, dances with liars in a grand ball. She must unmask them, reach their hidden truths, and deliver them to the world. She has to recognize that the worst lies are those she tells herself.

Si lo hace, nuestros secretos por fin se convertirán en verdades.

If they do, our secrets will finally become truths.

1 hour ago, Jofwu said:

The One that is Three seeks, unknowingly, the captured soul. The imprisoned spren, long forgotten. Can she free her own spirit in time to find the knowledge that condemns all the people of Roshar?

Okay, my interpretation: There seems to be another Unmade trapped in a perfect gem. And that gem is somewhere located/kept safe in Lasting Integrity? Furthermore if she "frees her own spirit" - I assume that is referring to Formless - she receives knowledge that condemns all the people of Roshar. That could narrow down the personality Formless has. Doesn't sound like an assassin to me, more like a frightened child. 

1 hour ago, Jofwu said:

The Fallen Soldier caresses and loves the spear, even as the weapon cleaves his own flesh. He always walks forward, always toward the darkness, without light. He can take none with him, save that which he alone can bring to life.

My interpretation: The first part merely refers to the fact that he loves warfare/the fight even though this preference is hurting him (watching his friends die is something that rips him apart). The second part is more interesting. I say it refers to his struggle with depression and that he has to overcome it on his own? Maybe change his perspective? Like Rand in WoT, he has to accept that other people have the right to be heroes as well, that he is not responsible for their deaths because they have their own free will and thus are able to make that decision and he has to respect that? Well, honestly it's written so vaguely that I can come up with 5 different interpretations but I like this one most because it could also lead to another idea that he is going to swear. 

1 hour ago, Jofwu said:

The Broken Sister understands her mistakes and thinks that she herself is one. She seems so far away from her ancestors, but doesn't comprehend that they carry her on their shoulders. Towards victory, and towards that silence, the most important of all

Venli gets carried on the shoulders of her ancestors towards victory? Probably meaning that her past experiences and culture will help her to deal with her current problems? That she gets inspired by them? And concerning that overly important silence, hmmm, probably refers to the voidspren which somehow will be hindered to influence/control the singers? By being silenced? Super important in her quest to independence? 

1 hour ago, Jofwu said:

And the Mother of Machines, the most crucial of all, dances with liars in a grand ball. She must unmask them, reach their hidden truths, and deliver them to the world. She has to recognize that the worst lies are those she tells herself.

Navani's actions are the most crucial of all? Very interesting. She probably dances with Taravangian's spy? Or lightweavers/the odium equivalent? So many options who those liars are. It's plural, so probably not "a" spy. It's probably also more than two, maybe a group. Maybe the retinue of another highprince? Another traitor who sides with Odium? Encouraged by Taravangian? But that doesn't fit with the next sentence, that she has to "unmask them, reach their hidden truths and deliver them to the world." So ominous.  Maybe it refers to the Diagram and their members? To expose them, make sure everyone knows where their loyalties lie? 

And I have no clue what lies she is telling herself. 

Have fun ripping my predictions apart :D 

Fascinating that Navani makes it onto the back, and in prime position, no less. Very strong support for the idea that it was the Sleepless who sent the spanreed. She's the first non-Radiant to be mentioned by the Sleepless, and along with the epigraphs definitely seems to be priming fabrial technology as key to the plot and war.

If you do, our secrets will finally become truths.

This is weird. It suggests that the Sleepless have been hiding something, but only Navani can actually make them real. What kind of secret is not true until she unmasks spies and delivers their secrets to the world? If it was some kind of truth or discovery about the nature of spren/gemstones, you wouldn't think its truth value depended on whether it was public. Perhaps "become truths" means "bring about"?

6 minutes ago, Schneeente said:

I assume that is referring to Formless - she receives knowledge that condemns all the people of Roshar. That could narrow down the personality Formless has. Doesn't sound like an assassin to me, more like a frightened child. 

A frightened child who knows something extremely important.  No wonder Shallan has issues.

6 minutes ago, Schneeente said:

The second part is more interesting. I say it refers to his struggle with depression and that he has to overcome it on his own? Maybe change his perspective?

I think it is talking about the fact that no one has answers for Kaladin.  Unlike our typical hero his mentors don't know almost everything.  He can only figure things out for himself.

8 minutes ago, Schneeente said:

Venli gets carried on the shoulders of her ancestors towards victory? Probably meaning that her past experiences and culture will help her to deal with her current problems? That she gets inspired by them? And concerning that overly important silence, hmmm, probably refers to the voidspren which somehow will be hindered to influence/control the singers? By being silenced? Super important in her quest to independence? 

"Her ancestors" has a double meaning though.  It could refer both to the listeners and the fused.

10 minutes ago, Schneeente said:

Navani is an organizer of information.  She usually does not make it herself but she moves it to the right places or causes it to be used in the right ways. 

2 hours ago, Jofwu said:

OOOOOhh. This is amazing. 

OK, so theories on Shallan. This seems to suggest, given what we know, that the "imprisoned spren" is in Lasting Integrity. Could Restares be in possession of the perfect gem (like @Schneeente suggests) with a captured unmade--BAM, maybe? This could be how void light came to be in Gavilar's possession.

The "knowledge that condemns the people of Roshar" must be related to Odium. Odium condemns the people of Roshar. The Oathpact keeps him bound, sacrificing the lives of Rosharans every Desolation in exchange for the rest of the Cosmere's freedom from Odium, right? Maybe it's actual knowledge of what the Odium did to Honor when he first arrived to set him up for entrapment? I feel like it must be very Big News, but I feel like "condemns all the people of Roshar" must be either (a) what binds Odium to this land, (b) what motivates Odium to want to shatter all of the shards, including Honor and Cultivation, or (c) what destroyed the Tranquiline Halls in the first place and created the initial breach that Odium exploited between the peoples. 

"Freeing her spirit". Whew. I think this definitely gives credence to the "Formless as unformed identity/small child" theory--it sets Shallan up more as tragic than potentially dangerous, suggesting that she must find her own truth before she can find the knowledge to save Roshar. I agree with @Karger: seems those repressed memories are pretty important. Lends some support to my theory that she was potentially used by the Sons of Honor/Ghostbloods as a child once they realized she had attracted a spren. Maybe she even has some perfectly stored memory  of a map, a conversation, etc. that will be illuminating. We keep seeing her memories manifest as perfectly depicted drawings. Surely that will be of importance here? 

9 minutes ago, Bliev said:

or (c) what destroyed the Tranquiline Halls in the first place and created the initial breach that Odium exploited between the peoples. 

I think we should add (d) The reasons the singers began to hate humanity.

10 minutes ago, Bliev said:

Lends some support to my theory that she was potentially used by the Sons of Honor/Ghostbloods as a child once they realized she had attracted a spren. Maybe she even has some perfectly stored memory  of a map, a conversation, etc. that will be illuminating. We keep seeing her memories manifest as perfectly depicted drawings. Surely that will be of importance here? 

Shallan's memory is her greatest asset and weakness.  Her ability to perfectly recall things is incredibly useful but also served as a primary trauma that lead to her developing DID.  What could she know? 

1 hour ago, Zedseayou said:

If you do, our secrets will finally become truths.

This is weird. It suggests that the Sleepless have been hiding something, but only Navani can actually make them real. What kind of secret is not true until she unmasks spies and delivers their secrets to the world? If it was some kind of truth or discovery about the nature of spren/gemstones, you wouldn't think its truth value depended on whether it was public. Perhaps "become truths" means "bring about"?

Perhaps the Sleepless have some secret future-sight visions of what could occur in this conflict, and only through Navani realizing certain facts or truths could these precognitions come true. Their secrets, only truths if certain characters can achieve what is needed. Begs the question of how badly this will go, as we have heard from a very good source, Hoid, that you should not trust anyone who claims to know the future. Or does it just so happen that the hopes the Sleepless hold do not line up with the hopes the main characters, or us readers, are holding out with?

18 minutes ago, OdiYum said:

Call me crazy but isn’t there a death rattle about wanting a child killed? Could that be related to formless being a child that knows something important?

There is and possibly.  This is generally interpreted as a reference to what the diagram itself is doing(killing in order to get information that will save a few lives for a little while longer) but like most rattles it is ambiguous.

36 minutes ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

Perhaps the Sleepless have some secret future-sight visions of what could occur in this conflict, and only through Navani realizing certain facts or truths could these precognitions come true

A good point that we should have considered.  The sleepless are very good at spotting radiants and others of import.  It could also reference fears they have.

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

There is and possibly.  This is generally interpreted as a reference to what the diagram itself is doing(killing in order to get information that will save a few lives for a little while longer) but like most rattles it is ambiguous.

A good point that we should have considered.  The sleepless are very good at spotting radiants and others of import.  It could also reference fears they have.

In another thread I speculated that the blurb for WOK saying one "will destroy us" was referring to Dalinar, since he was (at least at that time) probably perceived as destined to be Odium's champion (according to future sight) since Odium and Renarin saw it, and Cultivation (whose future sight is really good), saw it as a distinct possibility, though she also foretold other possibilities.  So yeah, I bet there is some Fortune involved. 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Shallan's memory is her greatest asset and weakness.  Her ability to perfectly recall things is incredibly useful but also served as a primary trauma that lead to her developing DID.  What could she know? 

Thinking about it more, Brandon *really* focuses on her perfect recall. That is precisely the sort of foreshadowing he's known for. I bet this is definitely something to consider. 

To capture an Unmade I think it is important to have a strong connection and frequent past interaction with them.  Dalinar for example was able to lure in and capture Nergaoul due to a lifetime spent frequently under the influence of the Thrill.  Familiarity creates connection, and connection gives you a pathway to influence the Unmade in turn.  Similarly Shallan's family has been under the influence of an Unmade for a long period of time, causing the various destructive behaviors that have manifested in her Father and Brothers.  Perhaps Shallan will be able to utilize this lifetime of negative influence from the Unmade to capture that Unmade in turn.

The wording regarding Kaladin seems to be mostly just alluding to his personal struggles with depression and struggling to find a path.  The wording at the end is interesting though. He can take none with him, save that which he alone can bring to life.  He already did the kill and revive thing with Syl, so I doubt we're repeating that plotline.  Is waking up the Sibling and Urithiru somehow related to him swearing his 4th oath?  Comedy alternative answer: Moash is the one person that Kaladin alone can save (just to watch the reaction of Moash's many fans in the community).  Or its just dark night of soul stuff and referring to Kaladin needing to learn to take care of and forgive himself.

44 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

He can take none with him, save that which he alone can bring to life.

I’m going to ignore your Moash bait.

with great effort.lol

but, I interpreted this as referring to Syl, and the “bringing to life” referring to either the fact that his bond brought her “to life” or into the physical realm. I thought this was an allusion to (newsletter-related spoiler)

Spoiler

The interlude that I’m not certain we’re allowed to talk about so I’ll just say Syl says she wants to understand him better.

But that might be too flowery of language for that basic of a relationship. I just think his journey this book is likely to be more psychological than anything.

I'll offer an alternate thought on Shallan's blurb  -

Freeing her spirit refers to becoming self confident.  She's full of self doubt and confusion, as we saw in her most recent chapter, she's also falling under the influence of Mraize who is clearly now manipulating her and trying to make her into the kind of person who will serve him.  I think freeing her spirit means returning her to a state where she is no longer being controlled by her mental illness or the influence of Mraize.  I think Formless represents all the worst aspects of herself.  This is being heavily foreshadowed in the chapters we see so far.  It could turn out to be a red herring, but I don't think so.  She needs to integrate Formless into herself rounding herself and her current "Three" into fuller personalities, so that a personality that contains only the negative parts does not come into being.

The secret that condemns all the people of Roshar is not a secret from her own personal past.  I think it is perfectly fitting with Shallan's character that though she views whatever this final secret is as something that makes her a vile, unlovable monster it is actually not that at all.  She also felt her other secrets (Killing her Mother and Father) made her unlovable, but any neutral observer would not agree.  She has to free her spirit - return herself to a place where she is fully functional - in order to be able to handle what it will take to uncover that secret.  One part of that may be to recognize that what she did was not vile and did not make her unlovable. 

So what is the secret? I agree it has to be something big.  My guess is she discovers the true cause of either the first Desolation or the Recreance.  We know a bit about each of those events, but not the whole story.  Either could be events that condemn the people of Roshar - the start of this endless cycle of war, or in the case of the Recreance I think there must be a deeper meaning behind it.  Epigraphs indicate that the Skybreakers engaged in "subterfuge" against the other 9 orders.  I think people typically assume this just means the Skybreakers did not renounce their oaths, but there could be more to it.  Nale has stated that his sole goal has been to prevent another desolation and he will do anything no matter how evil to achieve his goal.  So, could Nale alongside the High Spren and the Skybreakers have betrayed the other spren and Radiants and tricked them into the Recreance? It seems like something Shallan could discover in Shadesmar - a betrayal of Spren.

And the Mother of Machines, the most crucial of them all, dances with liars in a great dance. You must unmask them, reach for their hidden truths, and deliver them to the world. You have to admit that the worst lies are the ones you tell yourself.

Really excited to see Navani's plot, she's the onlye one I have no idea what to expect