Kaladin's Job Search

Zelly

He applied for the position of Ardent and was denied.

Where will he look next?

I'm guessing he'll try the surgeon's tents. Main issue with this is he's going to see people get hurt here.  Potentially people like his Windrunners.  Which will make him think he failed to protect them, which is not what he needs.

Where do you think he's going to try to end up?

2 minutes ago, Zelly said:

He applied for the position of Ardent and was denied.

Where will he look next?

I'm guessing he'll try the surgeon's tents. Main issue with this is he's going to see people get hurt here.  Potentially people like his Windrunners.  Which will make him think he failed to protect them, which is not what he needs.

Where do you think he's going to try to end up?

Where do we think or where do we know?  Because we already know. 

39 minutes ago, jamskinner said:

Where do we think or where do we know?  Because we already know. 

Given that the Syl interlude takes place quite a bit later it is possible, even likely, that he tries several other things first and probably a few afterward.  Journey of self discovery and all that.

I personally think he will work on some more humanitarian missions.  Harthstone is not the only occupied town in need of an evac and given the scale of the war you are going to be dealing with a lot of displaced people.

35 minutes ago, Xerun said:

I reckon he goes to work with his father. Reading the preview chapters I’ve formed the belief that a lot of his depression comes from the way that his father doesn’t value his choices in life and I think he’ll have to deal with that. 

Kaladin's depression is one of the most compelling, realistic, and well written parts of SA.  Depression is genetic.  It does not come from anywhere although certain experiences can definitely improve or exacerbate it.  Kaladin will never be cured of depression because it is not something "wrong" with him.  Depending on what his life looks like in the future though he could definitely make some adjustments into how it impacts his daily life.  Repairing his relationship with his father would probably help but I am not sure Lirin has any answers for Kaladin at this point nor do I think Lirin can really accept Kal as a soldier.  Unfortunately as Zahel pointed out Kaladin is still a soldier.

That being said.

Kaladin's Resume

Skill's:  Hero(first class) Soldier(first class) Officer(first class) Leader(first class) Windrunner (third ideal class 1) Commander(first class) Champion(first class), Surgeon(Third Class)

Job Experience: Squadleader in Amaram's army, Bridge Leader in Sadeas's army, hero of The Battle of the Tower, Personal guard to Highprince Dalinar Kholin and the Alethi royal family, Winner of the four on three dueling match of the Alethi Warcamps, defeater and slayer of the Assassin in White, personally saved Dalinar Kholin on at least two occasions, hero of The Battle of Theylen Field, Highmarshal of Urithiru.

No way he can get a job in this economy!

Edited by Karger

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

Given that the Syl interlude takes place quite a bit later it is possible, even likely, that he tries several other things first and probably a few afterward.  Journey of self discovery and all that.

I personally think he will work on some more humanitarian missions.  Harthstone is not the only occupied town in need of an evac and given the scale of the war you are going to be dealing with a lot of displaced people.

Kaladin's depression is one of the most compelling, realistic, and well written parts of SA.  Depression is genetic.  It does not come from anywhere although certain experiences can definitely improve or exacerbate it.  Kaladin will never be cured of depression because it is not something "wrong" with him.  Depending on what his life looks like in the future though he could definitely make some adjustments into how it impacts his daily life.  Repairing his relationship with his father would probably help but I am not sure Lirin has any answers for Kaladin at this point nor do I think Lirin can really accept Kal as a soldier.  Unfortunately as Zahel pointed out Kaladin is still a soldier.

Sorry that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying part of the reason he is so down on himself all the time is because of the way his dad reacts to his choices. He’s not very understanding and outright dismisses Kal’s choices. And I think going to join his father and getting him to be more understanding will help him to manage it and not let it overwhelm him as often as it does now. 

1 hour ago, Xerun said:

Sorry that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying part of the reason he is so down on himself all the time is because of the way his dad reacts to his choices. He’s not very understanding and outright dismisses Kal’s choices. And I think going to join his father and getting him to be more understanding will help him to manage it and not let it overwhelm him as often as it does now. 

Maybe.  That does bring up the question of what Lirin's arc will be.

55 minutes ago, Karger said:

Maybe.  That does bring up the question of what Lirin's arc will be.

In my head I’ve kind of seen the groupings as:

Shallan & Adolin -> Lasting Integrity

Kaladin & Lirin -> Surgeoning it up

Dalinar & Navani & Venli -> Urithiru Assault and reviving the Sibling. 

10 hours ago, Xerun said:

I think  both of them have to understand each other. Lirin and Kal are very very similar--rigid, dogmatic, intelligent. They both want to save people. They just have very very different philosophies on how to save and protect. Incompatible philosophies, even. If Kal is going to grow, he has to respect that people can share his desire to protect, but feel differently about his choices. And Lirin has to understand that Kal's choices don't negate his values, they're just a different method to reaching them. And *both* have to recognize that their dogma is essentially rooted in fear and trauma. Lirin is fearful of loss and traumatized by losing his son(s). Kal is also traumatized by the same loss and fearful of more. They just react differently. And that understanding will allow them to grow--both of them.

6 hours ago, Harbour said:

I pray he will continue to go around Urithiru asking for advices from people that can beat the crem out of him, so eventually this will bring him to Jasnah and she will just plainly tell him to chull off her cabinet. 

Ah yes, going around the Tower getting beat up by every person he can find, getting advice from them each in turn, to eventually end up at the queen of his home country who rightly tells him to storm off? I would love to read that!

On 10/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, Karger said:

How firmly do we know this? I only read the Syl interlude once and don't know much about the discussion around it, but as far as I could tell the situation in the interlude did not seem that different from the situation as it is right now (everyone is back at Urithiru, no signs of Fused attack). Couldn't that interlude be between Parts 1 and 2, which would not be a lot of chapters away? I guess I don't see him spending a lot of time elsewhere and he could be with the surgeons in the pretty near future, especially if he talks to his dad. Might not be where he ends up of course

Edited by Zedseayou

6 hours ago, Zedseayou said:

How firmly do we know this? I only read the Syl interlude once and don't know much about the discussion around it, but as far as I could tell the situation in the interlude did not seem that different from the situation as it is right now (everyone is back at Urithiru, no signs of Fused attack).

6 hours ago, Zedseayou said:

Couldn't that interlude be between Parts 1 and 2, which would not be a lot of chapters away? I guess I don't see him spending a lot of time elsewhere and he could be with the surgeons in the pretty near future, especially if he talks to his dad. Might not be where he ends up of course

It is an interlude.  The interludes will not take place for quite a few chapters as they must come after part one.  In OB that was after 28 chapters and we are still only at 15.  Assuming the same distribution between our five PoVs Kaladin will still have another three or four chapters to try other options.

23 hours ago, Karger said:

It is an interlude.  The interludes will not take place for quite a few chapters as they must come after part one.  In OB that was after 28 chapters and we are still only at 15.  Assuming the same distribution between our five PoVs Kaladin will still have another three or four chapters to try other options.

I believe that Chapter 19 concludes part 1. I don't have the sources, but I remember either Peter or Brandon saying both of these "We will get 19 preview chapters" and "We will get all of Part 1 as previews"

35 minutes ago, Govir said:

I believe that Chapter 19 concludes part 1. I don't have the sources, but I remember either Peter or Brandon saying both of these "We will get 19 preview chapters" and "We will get all of Part 1 as previews"

That would be a VERY short part 1.

32 minutes ago, Shakakakakaka said:

Thanks. I don't mean to join the conversation to be purely pedantic. However, didn't we get all of part one of OB as previews too? 19 chapters also lines up with the rest of the release schedule

Apparently yes.  It turns out that I was completely wrong.