Proposal for a name for Mistborn/Full Feruchemist twinborns

Frustration

Do you like the name Halfborn?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the name Halfborn?

• Yes
    • No

16 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Wait I thought there was a WOB about that not being possible without Hemalurgy. Did I miss something?

Doc_John

Hey, you've mentioned before that for the Lord Ruler to be able to be a Mistborn and a Feruchemist he had to alter his spiritweb in some way because a person can't normally hold all 32 powers. What about a Mistborn Ferring? Would it be possible for someone born with all 16 powers of Allomancy to also be born with a Ferring power? What about a Ferring Mistling? Thanks

Brandon Sanderson

This is possible now, when it once wasn't, but would be very unlikely.

Doc_John

Just as getting a Mistborn nowadays is very unlikely but that hasn't stopped people from trying ;) ;)

Follow up, having past a certain number of medallions doesn't work currently in world. Is this because of this same issue? Or is it more of a technical hurdle with the medallion?

Brandon Sanderson

The core root is the same issue, but it's not insurmountable with technological improvements.

General Reddit 2020 (Aug. 13, 2020)

11 minutes ago, Karger said:

Wouldn't it be slightly more then a halfborn though?  I would probably just call them a portmanteau of their full status and their small status IE a Mistborn-brute.

Yes, but I still like it. And you could call a fullborn a Feruchemist MIstborn, I think that's a bit long though.

7 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Fullborn sounds cool to me.

Unfortunately that is already in use, Feruchemist Mistborn,

Just now, Frustration said:

Yes, but I still like it. And you could call a fullborn a Feruchemist MIstborn, I think that's a bit long though.

My only real criticism is that it actually leaves out what could be critically important information.  For example a Mistborn-bloodmaker is way more of a physical threat then a Mistborn-gasper.

Just now, Karger said:

My only real criticism is that it actually leaves out what could be critically important information.  For example a Mistborn-bloodmaker is way more of a physical threat then a Mistborn-gasper.

good point.

but the same could be said of misting/ferring.

but I see where you're coming from.

26 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Unfortunately that is already in use, Feruchemist Mistborn,

Aw heck, I misread the post and thought that was what we were talking about :lol:

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

So speaking of this kind of combo, I'm curious as to what you all think the most powerful "extra" power would be for this. Would it be mistborn + bloodmaker, or full feruchemist + Augur? Or something else?

In a fight?  Probably steel.  The extra speed basically gives you the necessary time to out think any opponent you want.  You don't really need to be completely unkillable when no one is fast enough to touch you.  Although if we count prep time then it is definitely aluminum as you can then suppress your identity to compound all of the other 15 thus effectively making yourself a fullborn.

Just now, Karger said:

Because I am far to lazy to causally come up with 16 unique names.

Instead of the what, 150+ that Twinborn would have?:D

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Although if we count prep time then it is definitely aluminum as you can then suppress your identity to compound all of the other 15 thus effectively making yourself a fullborn.

Uhm, what?

6 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Uhm, what?

Store identity.  The Kandra theorize that doing so would allow a full feruchemist to use another feruchemist's metalminds.  So if our truself-mistborn does this they should be able to compound metalminds from the 15 other types of feruchemist thus giving them all the attributes at once. 

Just now, Karger said:

Store identity.  The Kandra theorize that doing so would allow a full feruchemist to use another feruchemist's metalminds.  So if our truself-mistborn does this they should be able to compound metalminds from the 15 other types of feruchemist thus giving them all the attributes at once. 

Well that no longer is one person, but still cool.

That would actually be insane.

I may have just broken Cosmere combat.

7 hours ago, Karger said:

That trick would only work if you had multiple metalminds of other Feruchemists. It also would only work for as long as it takes to burn those metalminds since you would not be able to store any of the excess Investitrue since you are not a Feruchemist of any other metal. However if you had a team of other Ferrings willing to give you their metalminds then you will be set. 

I like halfborn, but you definitely might want to add a small descriptor for which half they have. Yeah, I'm sure us being the 17th shard we'll just default back to a-halfborn or f-halfborn, but I kind of like the idea of contrasting it with their one power. So a mistborn bloodmaker would just be a half-bloodmaker, a feruchemist coinshot would be a half-coinshot. Yes, you could extend that to halfborn-bloodmaker and halfborn-coinshot, but I'm lazy, so let's not do that unless we're being formal.

1 hour ago, HSuperLee said:

I like halfborn, but you definitely might want to add a small descriptor for which half they have. Yeah, I'm sure us being the 17th shard we'll just default back to a-halfborn or f-halfborn, but I kind of like the idea of contrasting it with their one power. So a mistborn bloodmaker would just be a half-bloodmaker, a feruchemist coinshot would be a half-coinshot. Yes, you could extend that to halfborn-bloodmaker and halfborn-coinshot, but I'm lazy, so let's not do that unless we're being formal.

Yeah it would go like this

Allomancer/Feruchemist/Halfborn

f-Halfborn/a-Halfborn/Misting/ferring/twinborn

Mistborn/Feruchemist/Fullborn/Half(insert ferring/misting here) named misting/ferring/twinborn.

At least that's how I'd think of it.

13 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

So speaking of this kind of combo, I'm curious as to what you all think the most powerful "extra" power would be for this. Would it be mistborn + bloodmaker, or full feruchemist + Augur? Or something else?

If this is too different from the topic at hand I'll make a new thread to ask this.

This exists now

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

It also would only work for as long as it takes to burn those metalminds since you would not be able to store any of the excess Investitrue since you are not a Feruchemist of any other metal

I think you could use nicrosil to fix that.  Also simple theft would give you what you needed for any conceivable purpose.  Compounding is super efficient.

Why not moreborn?  It makes a lot of sense that they eventually figure out a way to have 3 feruchemical abilities and 2 allomantic ones.  Given the amount of DNA messing going on not to mention hemalurgy.  Moreborn gives you the information you need in general terms.